Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Crêpe de Chine by Long Lost Perfume

(Original review, not Long Lost's version)

I"m at a loss why this went out of production, but it did, so there you are. With today's restrictions it wouldn't have fared well anyway, so it's probably best that it went in peace.

But I would put this on the short list of 'top 25 best perfumes of all time'. In 1925 Guerlain released 'shalimar', and we can only wonder how the these two compared in their original glory.

Chene is basically a pitch perfect green chypre. It is so vibrant and rich. The aldehydes are kept at bay, thankfully, and the florals are very discreet.

This scent smells like life to me, as if a bolt of electricity was buzzing about your person. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. Please, please let this oakmoss crap be a replay of the Coca-Cola disaster; and soon we'll get a big apology from the industry when the old formulas are restored and the term 'classic' is slapped across all bottles.

Try Chene if you can.

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

You can’t sniff JLS without getting slapped in the face by the 80s glory note. My mind took it a step further and added a soundtrack: the Dallas theme song, season 3. JLS shouldn’t be introduced without it; this is Sue Ellen’s signature scent, no questions asked.

But my, what a big girl scent this is. My version is vintage, but I’m not sure of the year. I immediately detected the green notes (hyacinth), and a luscious, full bosomed base. I can’t imagine wearing this scent for fun. This must be worn with a purpose. Preferably one that comes with high heels, a short skirt, a tight fitting top and a top shelf martini. I will be setting this sample aside for those nights when I’m heading to the City for cocktails and a show. It’s just loud enough to get you noticed, and just refined enough to keep the other patrons guessing what you’re up to.

Good stuff, but like the show, the earlier versions are better.

Chaldée (original) by Jean Patou

I wasn't expecting to like this, so I put it on and went about my evening; getting caught up in packing for a big trip.

The whole time I've been returning to my wrist for a sniff, trying to recall which Caron I put on. This has a soaring, floral midphase that never gets too loud, and is joined with an ambery base that is oooh... so very sensuous.

Chaldee is a bullseye for me, and I think anyone who likes a good amber scent would want to try this. Yes, it lists hyacinth in the opening, but I do not get any 'green' from this scent.

I would be curious to hear from Shalimar fans on this one; I'm not saying it is similar, but the drydown experience is the same (very comforting and you will detect the vanilla.)

Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolaï

I read (on other sites) that many get a lily of the valley dry down with this. So, I did a side-by-side comparison to Caron's Muguet de Bonheur. And, no. Muguet is buttery yellow and fresh, and Odalisque is a screechy weed. Many have mentioned that this has been reformulated, which has to be a shame for it's original admirers.

On another note, does the title make anyone want to yodel? Come on: "High on a hill was a lonely goatherd
    Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo."

As I went about my evening this played in the background of my cluttered mind. Soon it became: "Loud was the voice of the lonely goatherd
    Lay ee odl lay ee odl- lay ee PEW!"

That was my hint that it was time to wash. I'm not used to panning a Nicolai scent, but this is really harsh on me. No matter how long I waited, or how hard I tried, I could not get the faintest smell of sweet jasmine. It was just goatherd poo, all night long.

sharron's avatar
    sharron

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

I was a little disappointed in this: it smells just like a refined version of Nenuco agua de colonia (made in Spain, cologne marketed for babies), which is much cheaper. It's not that I don't care for it, however, I expect more from Dior.
    I must be missing something - I catch none of the Rochas funk, and nothing of (gorgeous) Diorella.

Sentiment by Escada

Fruity in a pineapple sort of way with a slap in the face of some generic spices – particularly pepper and nutmeg. I usually don’t like pineapple in fragrances and Sentiment certainly doesn’t change that… The spices don’t work except for providing a little more dullness to the already boring and cloying jackfruit. The poor-grade vetiver overwhelms the sandalwood that is supposed to be there. The whole fragrance ends up cloying, synthetic, and pointless because absolutely nothing seems to work in it.

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Magnolia Pourpre by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Gorgeous in every way! A wonderful magnolia in all it's glory awash in a powdery bed of iris. Classic.

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Sometimes when I put on Eau Sauvage, I feel like a little boy putting on a suit and tie and trying to play "grownup". I kind of forget that I AM grownup now. Oh well.

As some have said this scent is kind of predictable, but it's good. Some people think of Guerlain Vetiver as the scent of their fathers. For me, I think of scents like this one and also Monsieur de Givenchy, though I'm doubtful my dad ever wore either-- I associate him mostly with Aramis, but for some reason, Eau Sauvage brings me happy memories of my dad.

Either way, it's a good scent to grow into. Fresh and herbal, yet almost cold and metallic-- like putting your nose to the screen of a well used electric shaver. Very much a man's scent-- I can see where some might find it unisex, being a citrus, but this one is all man. I don't get the alleged vetiver note. This was supposedly the first mainstream fragrance containing the material hedione-- a very important note in perfumery. I detect its abstract dewy, jasmine and sunbeams accord in Eau Sauvage. Those in-the-know have said that this has been reformulated so many times that all the windows are broken and the cupboards have been ransacked, but to the nose that has no frame of reference, it's still a good scent on its own.

Passion Boisée by Frapin

The bright opening tangerine note in the opening accord is affected by the nutmeg somewhat more than by the oakmoss, and also features a slight, but identifiable clove note… the result is a larger than life, unique, slightly tense, slightly syrupy tangerine accord. I like it a lot… it provides an elegant, dramatic, but surprisingly comfortable citrus accord: It’s beautifully balanced. It’s intriguing. And a taste of the opening tangerine accord stays on in some way thru to the end of the fragrance. By the time the heart level is reached, the Passion Boisée accord has added, here and there, a booziness, a soft element of leather, and a casual liaison with a cedarwood note. By the first half hour, Passion Boisée has lost most of its sillage and continues as a skin scent that lasts for quite a long time. The fragrance is well-made: balanced and nicely refined. It’s interesting but I find that it doesn’t hold my interest for as long as it should. I have to vote a neutral on it.

360 Degrees Black For Men by Perry Ellis

I was a decent fan of Perry Ellis 360 when I was younger, back in 1998, I wore it in High School, because I thought it was kind of different where I lived. A few months ago, I was looking for something with a dark overtone, and a sweet smell.

This scent works for me, whenever I want something a little subtle, but unique. I'd compare it most closely with the new "La Nuit De L'Homme". In the same vein, but less distinct and alot cheaper.

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

Of all the Tom Ford fragrances, nothing else is more distinct. The only reason I don't own this right now is because I can't afford it. If you have the type of skin that reacts well with musks and dark tones, you've got to snag this one. I have never received more compliments than this scent.

I will definitely say that this scent does not work for everyone. I'd say only 1 out of 10 guys can mesh well with the aroma, whereas the "Black Orchid" tends to work well with more people, with about a 7 out of 10 ratio.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Oh, it’s beautiful, all right. A clean and pure floral note with tuberose in the lead and jamine in support—these are genuinely superb notes, and the artistic structure and refinement are impeccable. I don’t get anything but florals in the opening and I don’t get any coconut in the base. I get tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, and musk. No doubt about it, it’s gorgeous. I find Carnal Flower very linear; that it doesn’t have a lot of sillage, and that it lasts…incredibly. Several reviewers have said that this fragrance can easily be worn by a man; I can agree with that because, on paper, it doesn’t strike me as being especially feminine, but from its performance on my skin it turns a little too much in the distaff direction for me to be comfortable with wearing it. Regardless of its gender direction, I’m no fan of florals on myself, but there's no getting around it: This is an excellent fragrance, and it certainly deserves a thumbs way up.

Originally submitted 24 May 2007, Taiwan

Guess Suede by Guess

I'm going to agree with foetidus on this one...WAY better than the original. I was satisfied with the price, you can usually find the whole set discounted. I got the whole SUEDE set, with the 5oz. body/hair wash, 5oz. after shave, and 2.5 oz cologne for $39.99.

I really rocked this one during the beginning of the fall. I like it as a transition fragrance.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I have 3 staple scents in my collection that are on constant rotation, and this is one of them. Anytime I see it, and its on sale, I buy it. Its one of the few colognes out there that pretty much works with everyone and stands out. Its also designed in a very unique way, almost impossible to offend anyone...very smooth, and hard to imitate.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

My favorite cologne from my high school/early college years, when I mostly wore Gap, Polo, and A&F. Works anytime, with any outfit. Definitely for the younger crowd.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Very laid back, classy tone. Actually TOO subtle for my usual tastes. I felt like I had to put it on ever couple hours throughout the day though. Good for someone who doesn't like the heavy scents, as this is probably the lightest thing I've ever worn.

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

If you're not a fan of citrus-dominated scents, skip this altogether. It starts out heavily lemony, but then tends to smooth out over a few minutes. For me, one of my staple "SUMMER" scents. Its getting a little harder to find this one, as it has been discontinued since 2008. Also, beware of fakes...my buddy got a fake off of Ebay (remember: factory sealed ONLY)!

Fujiyama by Succès de Paris

Fujiyama has a fresh opening—reminds me a bit of Hei but not as clean or subtle and more synthetic. It really doesn’t seem much like Issey to me; there’s no citrus or pineapple-type notes. Something about the middle is not right—I don’t find the combination of notes particularly pleasant—kind of a weak body odor smell mixed with a sweet bell pepper note: The errant accord might be caused by the cardamom creeping up from the base. When the pimento disappears, the aroma switches from unpleasant to nondescript. As the others have noted, it doesn’t project very much, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If a person would really like this type of fragrance, I think they would find that Hei by Sung has more pleasant accords and in put together with more competency

Originally submitted 04 September 2006

KingFisher's avatar
    KingFisher

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

My first cologne ever ! got it as a gift from my brother, Much has already been said about this. Brings back good old memories. SIMPLY WONDERFUL !!!

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo

Very light. Very refreshing. Gai Mattiolo does remind me a bit of L’Eau Par Kenzo—it’s a little lighter, a little spicier and a maybe a little less sparse. It begins with a light citrus / bergamot accord that provides a definite hit of hedione. The opening is clean, but nothing special—“special” comes later. The citrus holds for a very long time until it moves into its aquatic / floral middle level. But the wood / musk base is also present in the middle notes. Here’s where the scent becomes the dryer sheet accord that has been mentioned. I totally agree with that description, and I also think that it is a wonderfully wearable accord. The aquatics, the bit of green, the woods, the excellent florals, and the musk are all formed into this enticing accord that hug the skin and last far longer than it seems possible for such a light fragrance. This fragrance should get a lot more air time than it does. Wonderfully wearable.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007

thatsmr2usir's avatar
    thatsmr2usir

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I really like this fragrance, as it is simple based upon the 3 notes listed, I would also say it is complex as it gives off 2 different illusions for me. 1 is a grape note that appears throughout the fragrance. The smell reminds me of the bubble gum called Bubblelicious! ( GRAPE ) flavored.. It smells really nice as I love the smell of grape. I also get a nice boozy whisky accord that is mixed with the vanilla to create a cappuccino smell. It has GREAT longevity & it leaves a nice trail to follow. Last all day. & is sure to get you noticed regardless of people may like it or not. A nice gourmand that is perfect for clubs, bars or weekend activity.

VIP for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I don’t know what I was expecting but I know it wasn’t this. My first whiff of this was a beautiful cedar / patchouli scent—at first I thought I was getting the dry down in the opening, but, looking at the pyramid, it appears I was getting the heart notes. And what a wonderful rich heart—cedar, patchouli, cinnamon, rose—all identifiable in a clear, crisp accord. Somehow I missed the opening notes completely—probably because of the age of my sample and the fact that half the liquid was missing from the unopened sample tube. Regardless, the opening heart notes are some of the best wood / spice notes I’ve had in designer fragrances. This is probably not how the fragrance was designed, but it’s enough to tell me that it must have been a winner.

The rose note (a very good one) hangs on for a long time—I suddenly realize that I’m in the drydown because the rose note is surrounded by moss instead of cedar and patchouli. In the drydown I get much more moss than I get anything else; the tonka and amber is present and provide a light pleasant sweetness. The leather contributes a smooth richness to the base. This is (from what I can determine from my sample) quite a respectable fragrance—potent, masculine, and very well constructed—an excellent fragrance.

GeekDrop's avatar
    GeekDrop

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I don't care if this *was* made in 1976, it's still one of my all-time favorites. ;)

To me, the best part of this cologne is after it has mostly worn off and you're left with the mellow, Sandalwood base note.

GeekDrop's avatar
    GeekDrop

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I've only recently started wearing this cologne, and I realize it's sort of another "Drakkar" in the sense that every High School / College kid these days wears it, but it's still a nice smelling cologne. A new staple of my cologne shelf.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse by Hermès

Notes: lavender, licorice, orange blossom, hay, incense, vanilla, leather.
    A disappointment for two reasons: the short duration of the interesting notes, and the wimpy conclusion of the scent. The scent boasts “designer” lavender molecules, and they are very good. They are dry, aromatic, dusty, even a bit dusky – exactly what I like in lavender. The licorice is creamy and yet dark, attractive without any particular sweetness. POOF! These notes vanish abruptly. One is left with a toasty-nutty hay smell which morphs into a soft, slightly sweet leather scent. I guess leather is the signature Hermes element but there’s really nothing else here. And that little scent lingers for a while. With a hint of vanilla it is almost gourmand. I’ll give it a neutral rating for the interesting opening.

DULLAH's avatar
    DULLAH
    Turkey Turkey

Cologne Cédrat by Parfums de Nicolaï

Remember those red, white, and blue popsicles called "Bomb Pops", which now since the Bush era are called "Patriot Pops". If you like the white section of those, you will LOVE this Eau De Cologne by Patricia Nicolai.

Ok, so it's not 100% white lemon popsicle, it also evokes the smell of high quality Italian Icees, the ones where the seed and peel is still plentiful amidst the frozen treat. I cannot stress enough that this Eau has a certain "frozen" aspect to it, probably due to the Benzyl Benzoate in it. Benzyl Benzoate always reminds me of those pinkish-red ICEE slushie drinks available at every 7-11 in the 80's and 90's here in Chicago.

And while it evokes a not-to-sweet, nicely, pleasantly tart frozen citrus treat, it still manages to stay very classy. The only real downside here is abysmal longevity....but it is, afterall, an Eau De Cologne, so this is sort of expected. Nonetheless, i will always own this one, as when I have a craving for this particular frozen citrus scent, nothing else even comes close.

Scentologist's avatar
    Scentologist

Aventus by Creed

I do get the immediate blast of pineapple but, its not Dole's. It is not the syrupy sweet pineapple aroma of Doles fruit, it is a high quality pineapple that smells as if it where collected straight from the condensation reaction of sunshine grown pineapples. Not too wet, not too sweet. Much better quality than the pineapple in Bond's Riverside Drive. The pineapple quickly fades into the heart of what seems to be something familiar. It reminds me of a well made Chanel fragrance, perhaps a better version of Allure Sport crossed with Carolina Herrera....something metallic about it. After thinking about it, I know an easy way to describe this fragrance; if you remove the neroli from Creed's Neroli Sauvage and replace it with pineapple and keep the woody base of NS, this is what Aventus smells like....Neroli Sauvage with Neroli removed, pineapple added, and the woody base. Longevity is better with Aventus as well.

6of1's avatar
    6of1

Connect for Men by Jivago

Good points in Tony T's and Andrew's reviews. Not really headache-inducing, but more suited to the older set. It smells good, but kind of dated. My one wish is that it were stronger -- it is almost in powerhouse territory, but lacks that definitive push over the edge. Still, it is available on the cheap and smells good enough. There's plenty better, but this isn't bad at all.

Vincenzo Ferrara's avatar
    Vincenzo Ferrara

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

Wonderful. I have no other words to describe this scent.
    One of the most courageous perfumes that I've ever tried. You need a lot of courage to wear it, and if you will be successful to wear it, then Aoud Cuir D'Arabie will become a drug.

At the top notes it's pure oud. Simply.
    Initially, the smell is like a "stable" and hay, a stink, very hard to smell! But after a few minutes this flavor fades and oud became more aromatic: powerful, but beautiful.
    After many minutes starts to emerge a smoky, wet, fat leather and tobacco notes with oud always present in the background. Leather and burned woods with power of oud makes the (very savage) middle/hearts notes.
    In the dry down the the scent becomes less wild and more gentle and fine. The leather is a leather more delicate and elegant. I've never tried a leather reproduced in the purest way as in this perfume.

I think that this is the fragrance closest to the pure and precious oud and the fragrance that reproduces in the most perfect way the real smell of leather. Surely it is the wildest fragrance I've ever worn: savage, smell of tannery. It transports me into an arabic market full of leather clothes for sale. Either you hate or you love it. No middle. And I love it. But remember: it's stuff for "die hard men".

Sillage is very good (more discreet than Black Aoud).
    Lasting power/longevity: excellent.
    Masterpiece.

Vincenzo F.

Vincenzo Ferrara's avatar
    Vincenzo Ferrara

Black Aoud by Montale

Maximum opulence.
    Black Aoud is a rose opulent, arabic, sensual and meditative at the same time.
    At the top notes Black Aoud starts with a powerful shot of oud, this is really an "oud shock"! The oud begins, after about 10 minutes, to bring out a rose beautiful, powerful, strong, pushy and arrogant. A very light and very distant aroma of mandarin adds a bit of brightness to the fragrance. Patchouli makes the scent moist, slightly earthy.
    After about half an hour the oud (slightly softened) and rose coexist wisely and in harmony. Over time, the rose becomes more sensual and enriched by distant hints of labdanum and sandalwood.
    In the dry down, after any hours, begins to emerge the delicate magic of the forest with moss and mysterious oriental woods with patchouli always present. The fragrance becomes woody. The rose still dominates but, in the meantime, has become more bright and sweet.

Black Aoud is not a very complex fragrance, but its evolution is slow and beautiful. Despite its long evolution, the rose has always the main role. After many hours the rose gradually softens. The base notes (6/7 hours after application) consist of a sweet, gentle, romantic and warm rose: a rose that has lost part of its arrogance and starts to become soft and delicate. The oriental woody notes are always present and fine musks with various arabic resins adds magic to the perfume.

The sillage? Black Aoud IS a sillage.
    The longevity/lasting power is excellent.
    In conclusion? A perfume powerful, sensual, contemplative. A perfume full of ancient oriental memories, a magic way to arabian dreams, a masterpiece by Pierre Montale.

Vincenzo F.