Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

pimiento's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I find this just beautiful. It's complex sweetness is captivating and it's dry, spiced drydown is just as good. This is fully worth the price. Along with Nio by Xerjoff and Cartier Roadster this is far and out one of my favorites.

Kali by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This is quite an interesting fragrance – I’ve gotten different results from different testing, but I think I have things worked our now. The florals rule to my nose – I think I can identify Osmanthus and lotus. The florals are abundant – too abundant for me but they don’t go overboard – and they are strongly complemented by a red wine note. Toning the florals down a bit are the honey and chocolate. It’s an interesting combination, and it’s actually quite a complex and well blended fragrance. I like this fragrance very much but the floral dominance makes it not for me. I has a mild sillage off my skin and very god longevity.

Daryl J.'s avatar

Opus II by Amouage

Amouage Opus II instantly cools my nose and invigorates through the entire drydown. It feels crisp and dry making it ideal for the dank, grey, wet 9 month stretch that defines the climate of the US Pacific Northwest. After a fairly quick tour through the topnotes, the fragrance settles in close for a private, exquisite experience. Far more linear than the ever-evolving Memoir Man from the same house, it delights from the get go and never quits until it finally finished its course. The longevity is very very good and is startlingly long on clothing lasting well over 2 days.

I find it absolutely unisex even with its masculinesque notes in the base as few of the delightful ladies I know are addicted to smelling only as if they'd just been showered in petunias and roses. It is a delight to either gender.

Kalynne's avatar

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A surprising scent considering the name. I love rose and I love incense. The rose and incense are about equal in intensity. The incense has an artificial finish that is off putting. Real oud can have a bit, but for my nose it is not annoying. I wonder if this is an attempt to create an oud like Montale. A bit soulless for me Even if the artificial scent dies after 2 hours. At that point, it's nice, but I don't want to wait 2 hours.

Shalimar by Guerlain

Not anything I could wear, but I give it a whirl to understand it and appreciate a true classic.
    This is a rich, vanilla-bomb oriental. Quite languid, lovely and gracious.
    Very sweet. Plummy deep bergamot notes open. Spicy oponax gives depth. Vanilla certainly is present. Eventually it comes to dominate. The dry-down is very sweet, powdery, with a touch of leather.

jcastano's avatar

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

Wow, this is absolutely intoxicating! When I smell this on a woman, I fall at her feet and become her slave! Haha, all joking aside though, this smells ridiculously amazing! It smells floral, as most all female perfumes do, but with a rich citrus. As odd as it is, I smelled oranges in this and it actually reminded of a female version of John Varvatos Artisan. Either way, this stuff if very classy and sexy so I recommend it to any woman looking to put a guy in a trance! Oh and longevity is amazing and sillage is great! I tried it on my skin and I got a solid 12 hours with great projection the whole way through! Yummy! A+ Rating

Eau Pure by Caron

Notes: rosewood, "aquatic fruits", spices, guiac wood
    This is a fresh, slightly green, cool, ozonic-aquatic scent. Pleasant if you like that style. Suggests freshly-laundered fluffy towels. Not any depth or complexity, but then one would not expect that in this sort of scent. Not particularly distinctive, or interesting.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

X-Centric by Dunhill

I really wanted to like this perfume a lot. Judging just by its notes it sounded so apealling, but I could not find the "Eccentricity" of this perfume at all. It is so common, actually it reminds me of several other scents. The word for it is "mediocre", and that is being generous. On the other hand, it is not repulsive, it is actually pleasant and I could wear it anytime, specially if I want to go unnoticed because it will no call the attention of anybody. (Good "camouflage" scent???) LOL

LP No. 9 by Penhaligon's

Top: lemon, geranium, bergamot, tarragon, lavender
    Mid: carnation, rose, jasmine
    Base: cinnamon, patchouli, musk, amber, cedar, vanilla

Kind of an odd duck. The juice is a pink-purple colour. It starts with a good green note, from the tarragon (hay, grass) and geranium (perky green rose). It is so green at this point that I suspect the presence of galbanum. A dusky and almost metallic note is in the middle. Translucent in style. Is it pleasant? Not sure. Certainly different. Vanilla takes over, eventually. Sweetens things somewhat, fights with the wood. The metallic note lingers. Not particularly attractive.

Flora's avatar

Sublime by Jean Patou

I used to wear this a lot, but now that it's been reformulated I will have to find a vintage bottle. Rich, radiant and VERY sexy, Sublime was a masterpiece. It was not of a style that I even thought I liked but I fell in love immediately. It is best for evening, but it's civilized enough for day with judicious application. Every perfume lover should experience the original version at least once.

msveronica9's avatar

Intrigue by Carven

I bought a small bottle of Intrigue because I generally like Carven scents. Upon first sniff I thought it was just another run-of-the-mill powdery floral, but today I doused myself liberally and was... well, intrigued.

Fragrantica classifies Intrigue as a Chypre Floral, and lists its notes as:

TOP: Bergamot, Amalfi Lemon, Tangerine, Cassis
    MIDDLE: Jasmine, Nutmeg, Peach, Lily, Plum
    BASE: Vetiver, Oakmoss, Vanilla

Not sure about the peach and plum being very obvious, but there is plenty of citrus in this scent. Lemony notes predominate, and blend beautifully with the flowers, avoiding that sharp 'eau de cologne' effect. The base notes are subdued, lending a subtle, clean powderiness to the mix (bringing to mind Ivoire and Safari).

Intrigue is soft, delicate and very feminine - perfect for warm weather, and probably suitable for an office environment. It is very pleasant to my nose, but perhaps not unique or modern enough for many. Lasting power is a only few hours at most.

surge's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

The problem with OS is that if you use too much it smells god awful.
    What I do is I put one or two sprays on a cotton ball and then rub the cotton ball on my skin...that's it.
    Any more and you're gonna stink to high heaven, and it's not gonna be a good smell...I don't know what it is about this that makes it that way -- but that's how it is. A small amount of this stuff smells amazing, but too much smells so terrible.
    When I first tried it, I was disgusted because I made the mistake of going overboard with it...but if you use a small amount of it it's absolutely great -- AND it's a perfect scent to use for layering -- I used a dab of OS with Tom Ford noir de noir tonight and I got a lot of compliments.

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

Delicious Night is a fruit of sin that
    grows on the vine of temptation a dark
    and indolic beauty a femme fatale a bad girl definitely not a scent for the average girl next door virgin, no This spells S.E.X across the front of the
    fruit shape like flacon the opening is
    fruity of frozen pomelo tangy and fun then
    succulent black current starts steeping
    through your senses like an inner Terra
    of earth brings an primal spirit in this scent.

The Innocence of freesia falls discreetly and dries the top note with
    a bit of sweetness Jasmine with it's
    elusive delicateness opens the middle
    note gives it a green-tea like aroma
    that is meditative the leafy and intoxicating note of dark orchard sprays
    an scent of inhibited animalistic properties.

then delicious night turns woody with
    dry ginger turns warm with amber Dark
    incense and ancient myrrh adds to the
    esoteric mystery of the scent which
    makes it unique.

Calèche by Hermès

MMMMMMMMMMMMM? i wonder if Hermes Caleche stole the ingrediants from Chanel no 5. because they smell the same
    so there's not alot to describe.
    it has the same Aldehydiac note and it's elegant and chic this perfume is perfect for wearing a cream shelf dress
    going to a fashionable daytime garden
    soiree. if chanel is a nighttime aldehyde Hermes Caleche is for day.

Création by Ted Lapidus

This Delectable blend of Peaches Mango
    Citrus Gardenia and Woods make this perfume great of Summer. better then
    to the simular scent of Sand and Sable
    Perfect for wear your White Summer cotton Dress walking across the pure
    White sand Clear Blue Waters Sweeping at your feet Starfishes and a gentile
    warm breeze. sweeping through your hair. Beautiful perfume

Ysatis by Givenchy

I'm surprised that jasmine is not in the fragrance card i can smell pervasive amounts of it.
    to the skin it brings out a soapish scent with an opening of aldehydes the civet i think makes it heavy and oily
    i do notice a bit of coconut which suble but nicely done. the drying down
    turns into an warm reisen of galbanum
    with dry brazilian rosewood.
    the heart is hard to detect but i can smell a bit of an honey note the drydown
    is prodominly of sweet amber that is cloyish and strong amount of vanilla
    and also a wisp of black liqcorice.

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

Less is more the scents plays it's self
    well in a sparse three note artistry
    the plum brings sensuality the oakmoss and
    ceder brings masculinity. a minimalistic
    elegance that reflects the new millennium
    attitude in fashion and in fragrances.

Duende by J del Pozo

This is a Lush Greener Version of Chanel No 5 i love the Mint green Coloring of the bottle. reminds me of a
    18th Century Rococo Painting by
    Jean Honore Fragonard paintings with it's plump bodies rosy cheeks Aristrocratic Love play Lavish Pastel
    Petticoats rouge to the clevage. wigs
    Powdered Wigs Vividi's Spring Allegro
    theme Playing Marie Antoinette Walking
    in her garden with her ladies in wainting. with her Children before the
    French Revolution.

This is a Refreshing Fragrance this whould be perfect for 18th Century Aristrocratic Ladies

Magnifique by Lancôme

What i notice about Lancome perfumes
    that they have an distinct scent apart
    from other fragrances lancome has a sweetish light and woody texture
    notice Poeme Miracle Hypnose Tresore
    and Hypnose senses all have this sweet vanilla
    and woodsy scent that is sort of their
    trademark.

The top note starts with saffron with
    it's woody & sweet accord with the spicy drydown of Caraway. the middle dries to a Velvety scent of crushed Red
    roses and fiery Sandalwood i can detect
    a vanilla note in this so i think they
    should place an vanilla note in the
    note cards.

The color of the flacon is beautiful deep Ruby Red on top but dilutes to a
    Clear Crystal at the bottom the sunset
    motif beneth the red sky very cleaver.

Absolutely Irresistible by Givenchy

Glamor in a bottle with fire, with one spray Absolutely Irresistible turns a drab
    gray winter's morning into a fiery spicy
    and sexy soiree that is out of the ordinary i truly admire this scent from
    top to bottom it's just beautiful.

Opens with sharp oranges that awaking your senses then lush red ripe berries
    adds to the sex and sin to this fragrance comes steeping though like a
    hot wind with the spicy top drydown of
    Pimento, As we enter the middle it becomes musky Heliotrope with it's milky
    almond scent opens the middle Jasmine
    is very prominent dominates the center
    not interrupting the spiciness of this.
    Amber dries beautifully without being
    cloying or oily and musk i do detect
    Musk that is missing in the scent cards
    Ceder has always been hard for me to
    pick up and this is no exception Patchouli like in 90% of scents is overshadowed by the more flamboyant
    players but in a quiet way it's make it's presence known in it's earthy
    graceness and ends with the Vanilla.

Guess Gold by Guess

The Opening Notes of fruits
    Wraped with the middle of Jasmine
    rose Water lily hiaciah and it dries
    down to a Creamy Caramel intermingleing
    with i can pick up a bit of incense
    And Woods

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

Great, smiled oriental scent, specially to wear in autumm and winter.

sh_02's avatar

Germany Germany

Contradiction by Calvin Klein

Don't know what's not to love:
    freshness of the eukalyptus added up with just a hamonious amount of juicy fresh pear, with a core of lilac and orchid as the main topic (still backed up by the omnipresent herbaceous freshness) and throughout there is the slight sweetness of tonka and earthyness of woods and amber.
    It is the fresh ontake on the normal oriental vanilla. At least to my nose and with my body-pH it's perfect and perfectly interesting without being difficult to wear or hard on other people (like, mhhh, Just Me by Montana) and I'm angry with CK for stopping my most beloved fragrances by this brand: Truth and Contradiction. How can that be?

michailG's avatar

Verveine by Melvita

I agree with Odysseus... I find Verveine so lemony that at the first application my nose gets itchy for a moment. It certainly is unisex and it is very interesting that it totally lacks sweetness. I have mixed feelings about the fragrances by Melvita for one and only reason. Melvita doesn't advertise their fragrances as organic but they are often sold in stores next to Melvita's organic cosmetic products (sale assistants promote the fragrances as organic while there is no certification visible on the products). When, some time ago, I requested more information from the company, I received no answer.

Persolaise's avatar

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

When I first tried this, I was utterly bowled over. I saw a massive, Middle Eastern rose shimmering before me and my heart was captured. Since then, I've been trying to poke holes in its petals with my critical daggers, but I'm pleased to say that I have had very little success. Some might find it a touch too linear, but I'd suggest that its subtle, unobtrusive development is a testament to Ropion's brilliance. At first, it does appear to present nothing but rose, rose and more rose, but a closer inspection reveals several other aspects worthy of appreciation, not least a warm cinnamon at the start, a note-perfect, ecclesiastical frankincense in the middle and a smooth, oud-inflected, musky-patchouli woodiness in the base. Others may complain that the drydown goes on for far too long, but this would just be nit-picking. A few people might even raise objections about the irrelevance of the Henry James reference, and they may well have a point, but if you're going to start playing the lit crit game with perfume, then it would be equally easy to read the name as Malle's ironic assertion that the modern Isabel Archer wears an abaya and lives in Abu Dhabi.

Silence the naysayers. Whether you're a man or a woman, try this astonishing new release and let yourself be transported to an empty church in a country where Christianity and Arabic culture happily exist side by side, a place like, say, Lebanon or Syria. The outside world is locked away behind heavy doors. The lights are low. The silence is complete. You sit down and see a polished, brass censer hanging from the ceiling. Emerging from the holes in its lid is a heavy, scarlet smoke, cascading to the ground like endless ribbons of iridescent fabric. Close your eyes and just wait. Before too long, you'll be enveloped by the magic and completely trapped in its heady, floral spell.

tropicalshimmer8's avatar

Rainkissed Leaves by Bath and Body Works

This smell is too overwhelming and even the smallest amount lasts way too long. One of their worst smells, Glad I only bought the small bottle.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger by Prada

Not bad, overall.

Immediately, the opening shared by the other Prada "Infusions"-- here one of fizzy and dry citrus, makes this seem a perfume variation on Mandarine Orange Seltzer. Not a bad thing, in my book.

That does persist for an heroic time, I'd say close to an hour. Again, not bad. The dry down period is lovely and persistent, and even in cold weather, this one lasted several hours. Better than not bad.

Is it complex? no. Challenging? nope. Offensive? Hardly. Is it a straightforward orange blossom scent that could be had inexpensively? yes, ma'am. Personally, I own several neroli/ orange blossom scents, and I adore them all. Yet, I do see this as a solid contender in those ranks, if for no other reason than it sticks around long after those other scents have disappeared completely.

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

I Love the sweet scent of cactus bathing in the southwestern sun
    the pure blue skies it's like your going on a journey though the caves
    from the lost tribes of the southwest
    you discoved different colored mineals on the caves and your watching the Navajo women weaving there famous quilts and you ride your horse though the desert that leads you to no where i just love this frangrance.

Trouble by Boucheron

The opening has a smokey woodsy opening
    then in a couple of minutes orange and lemon starts to appear and creamy amber and vanilla i'm not crazy about the scent but i love the burgandy theme on this perfume. elegant yes favorite no
    but i don't hate it

Iceberg (new) by Iceberg

The opening is a Bit soapy but give it a few minutes it dries down to a Nutty
    Accord and florals it's a bit unsual
    but Tolerable. so i whould put this on my like list of perfumes. but i really love is the Bottle it has a Art Deco
    Sexiness to it a light Brown quarz
    brings to mind the lavish sets they used in those old black and white Fred
    Astaire Ginger Rogers Musicals the hall
    of mirrors from the movie The Lady from Shanghai. Jean Harlow in her tight lowcut shelf gown like the one She worn in Dinner at eight Surrounded by Mirrors or a an elegant quarz ring Emerald cut from a woman hand.

This has to me the most beautiful bottle design in the world next to chanel no 5 and tresor