Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

promqueen's avatar

Sparkling White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I like this one too..it seems to have a woody-floral midnote that is nice as it starts to dry down

15th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th May, 2012)

Grottola's avatar

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

SirSlarty's review is right on the money. A Cool Water clone/fresh fougère that actually smells good. If you've ever smelled Old Spice Glacial Falls shower gel/deodorant or the Swagger shower gel/deodorant, this is essentially similar to those scents, but a long-lasting EDT. Yes, this does last long for a scent of this type. Just be aware, I think there's a tiny dollop of cumin in this - too much and it can smell like sweaty balls for the first few minutes or so. Otherwise, a damn good bang for the buck!

RIVI's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Royal English Leather by Creed

More than a review, I do a comparison with TF Tuscan Leather which is one of my benchmarks for leather scents. I do not intend to determine a winner or a loser because as we know every nose is different and anyone who thinks he can say this smell better that is wrong... this comparison only serves to precisely enumerate findings and differences between them, there are no winners or losers.

Both perfumes open with very disparate notes: The notes of red currant and thyme saffron are fused together to create in Tuscan much sweeter blend of aromas, REL, begins with mandarin and bergamot, is drier, more linear and more natural, in the strict sense of a literal "leather" aroma.

The heart starts beating in both perfumes very similar; they share similar notes but with one big difference: REL remains true to its animal essence, whereas the presence of birch resin in Tuscan makes it more plastic, and the effect of leather is fused with a touch of rubber and oil. Tuscan is more complex, more deep, which makes it no better or worse, is a characteristic that differs it form REL.

The bases are the same: amber, sandalwood and leather so once developed, the scents begins to resemble more and more. In REL the leather fades to leave us a trace of sandal, Tuscan keeps a touch of rubber in a very subtle way. Tuscan Leather is a modern version of the genre, kinder.

I think that fans of the genre of leather, especially for the Orthodox, REL is the most faithful of both, and I'm sure when Creed stop manufacturing it, it will achieve the same level of cult of VINTAGE TABAROME, and those who get a bottle, will keep it locked for use only on those special occasions where it is necessary to make a statement, leave that through aroma that is possessed of exquisite taste purist and refined.

For something they have for over 200 years, is a classic.

Backtable's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

To each his own, and yes, many women have commented positively on it, but every time I whiff this I envision Vince Carter (Gomer Pyle's drill instructor) in a cheap guayabera at the dog races; brash, loud, and indifferent to common courtesy. In classic Claiborne fashion this stuff is just flat out synthetic. It's as though someone in R&D lost track of what went in, shrugged, and poured a large flask of surfactant in for good measure. Not as prevalent as it once was, thankfully, but for me even a little is too much.

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Ciel Man by Amouage

I am from Cuba, an island in the Caribbean Sea. I am predisposed to feel nostalgic when I catch smells that remind me my past and I give them high praise.This is case of Ciel. Instead of talking about the notes, I will just say the vision I get when I think about Ciel for Him by Amouage. Imagine a beach with very white sand, the whitest, softest sand you've ever seen...when you walk on it it feels like powder. Then imagine that it is night time, the ocean looks navy blue dark and a few stars shine over. There is full moon, and you are laying in a hammock between coconut trees really close to the soft rolling ripples of the calm sea. There is a soft breeze carrying the smell of flowers from a garden near by mixed with the saltiness in the air, and there is someone playing a guitar very softly close to you...you can catch a whiff of the wood from the guitar once in a while. Someone is preparing hot milk sweetened with honey and that scent is in the air too... that is pretty much it. Comforting, caressing fragrance. It brings me memories of my childhood, when I did experienced all of this and now at least I can get to recreated it in my head just with the smell of Ciel. I just love that.

bhougland's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I was introduced to Fahrenheit when I was sampling a roomates scent collection in college (around 8 years ago). I remember sort of laughing that he had a "90's" cologne in his arsenal, but decided to give it a whirl. I was immediately blown away by the aggresive, angry, gasoline smell that spewed forth and wondered how anyone could wear such a cologne. However, about 30 minutes later I found myself in his bathroom again getting another shot...it quickly became addictive. I loved it! However, I never purchased it myself; I didn't wear cologne that much then.

Fast forward to two weeks ago...I asked for this cologne as a Christmas present from my wife's family (we celebrated early). Once I opened the package, my wife's family wanted me to spray some so they could smell the cologne they had to track down all over town. I was getting a little nervous of the top notes and what they would think. I sprayed....but to my dismay it was weak. Where was the angry top note that is permanently etched in my memory? I googled and found out about the reformulation....darn.

However, after using it for a couple weeks I can assure you the bite is still there, but it is a little more toned down. Still one of my favorites and will always have a spot on my shelf, but I would do anything to get a whiff of the vintage juice.

TopNote's avatar

Vanille by Molinard

I ordered Molinard Vanille based on the reviews I'd read on this site. I absolutely love it. It reminds me of brown sugar at first then settles into a luscious vanilla. I enjoy smelling myself all day long. The scent lasts from 6:30 am until I drift off to dreamland. I love the scent, the price and the size of the bottle. I haven't tried layering it yet, because I love it on it's own, but am planning on it soon.

Corduroy by Zirh

Sweet, creamy, fresh.
    Very sweet. Tinny.
    Where are the spices?
    What is "aquacoral"? A fancy name for an aquatic chord.
    "Suede"? Don't really get it.
    If this has Bay Rum, where is the laurel leaf?
    Just another cheapo, sweet scent. Arggh.

Silver Light by Escada

Notes: apple, grapefruit, patchouli, vanilla.
    Well, I've smelled worse.
    Essentially a slightly green scent, fresh and a bit aromatic.
    Soapy -- like clean laundry. A bit ozonic.
    Not too sweet, certainly not heavy.
    Curiously, I don't get any of the alleged notes. No fruit, no vanilla, no patchouli.
    If you want to smell like a bar of green soap or fresh towels, this one's for you.

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

Well, with a name like "Bleu Marine" I hadn't expected to like this at all. Actually, it isn't bad.
    I'd call it an aquatic herbal. A bit ozonic and metallic, but not screechy. Some good green-herbal notes, also the typical silvery sheen of armoise. Not terribly sweet, not too heavy. The Halston Z-14 comparison is apt, I'd call this a "lite" version of that scent. Definitely a warm-weather scent due to its frosty vibe.

brrrry's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I'm sorry but this is near pathetic. I don't like to leave negs and I hardly ever do. However, sometimes my feathers get a little ruffled and I can't hold back. I am disgusted with this frag. I have never really been a fan of Guerlain frags with the exception of vintage Derby. That being said, I have at least respected the "piece of work" and somewhat understood the following that this house has. There is not one positive thing I can say about "Homme" which is just sad. You would think when a prestigous house like Guerlain names a frag "Homme" it would be significant. This is just the opposite; a fruity, fresh aquatic that has no depth, merit, worth, or inspiration. If it were from Paris Hilton, JLo, or (insert pop singer/sleazy ikon here) it would be one thing. But this isn't. It is from a fragrance house that has roots deep into the art of perfumery and is held with high regard. It seems now that they are just trying to keep up with the current designer releases, which is and should be the beginning of their demise. Shame on them for putting out such BS.

scotch rocks's avatar

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

The first impression just made me smile. I do wish it were a bit spicier, it lasted longer, and it projected far far further; but I see it as a shy juggernaut. Something about it is just pleasant and balanced. I guess I am a sucker for lavender and fennel together. So I guess this is DnG's almost awesome... just a little bit too soft.. kind of like Matthew Mcconaughey
    cheers

Izzy's avatar

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

This fragrance smells good but it's not original. This fragrance smells identical to Twice Iceberg. The only difference I see is the price, you're going to pay alot more for this fragrance. Twice iceberg you can get for cheap & it came out first. Save your money & do not pay the ridiculous amount of money they're asking for this fragrance.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Fruity- floral ( not very exciting ) and woodsy overall- a rich ,sweet and moderately deep fragance- surprisingly not that girlie smelling on me. I find it quite unisex.I like this very much even though it has the dreaded pink pepper in it . Definitely aimed at the younger target customer but definitely wearable and that is what counts.

neo_the_1's avatar

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère by Guerlain

It says "light" but I won't,as far as the strength is concerned.More citrusy than HR, which is more like sweet[sometimes] and more complex and heavy.
    I love both of them.I don't know why but both of these makes me sleepy-surely they have calming effect.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

A complete disappointment, unfortunately. Does not move me an inch.

Rose The One by Dolce & Gabbana

This is one of those perfumes of late that smell more like shampoo or other body products than perfume. The bottle is very nice, but eye candy is all this scent has to offer.

Scarlett by Cacharel

Cacharel's perfumes have had their own distinctive character, until now. With a gorgeous bottle like that I so wished Scarlett would have been lovely...

Wanted by Helena Rubinstein

Oh no. Back to the 80's. And not in a good way. This smells oldfashioned as it is released.

dbdc's avatar

Silver Cologne by Amouage

I enjoy reviews that are succinct, on-point, and somewhat relational for folks like me that have been wearing scents since puberty, yet lack fine olfactory training and/or skill of many of the BN members. Amouage Silver is very much like Boucheron Pour Homme EDP... which I own n love. 3.4oz retails for approx $120, but you can get for approx $60+shipping. Why spend the extra cash? No really, that is not rhetorical. I would love an answer from someone who knows a lil more than a guy like me. Why spend 2 to 5x's the money?

Visit by Azzaro

Open a bottle of Tang (orange powder drink mix sold in U.S.) and the aroma of Azarro Visit (homme) is what you'll get. Nothing especially complicated about that: artificial orange, vitamin C, some other functional citrus essences. It is hard to label this a fine fragrance, but it is interesting when so many masculines veer toward fruity/woody/aquatic. Still, I wouldn't chance it in an interview (with either a potential employer or a potential lover).

UR for Men by Usher

UR is an exact copy of half of what you find on mall department store glass counters: Kenneth Cole Black, L'Homme, etc. It is the fruity/woody/citrus mess designers have decided we as men merit for shopping on foot. Honestly it is not terrible, but the cheapest things smell better by a mile: Aramis, Brut, English Leather, Halston Z-14. Additionally, all of these are available in your local Walgreens or CVS (in U.S.). Try harder, men!

Aoud Leather by Montale

Great, refreshing stuff. What I imagine Hai Karate Lime to have smelled like if I hadn't tried it already. Bracing, a lime note in there, definitely some soft leather (suede?). I hear unisex, but I'll call masculine. Nicer by half than three quarters of scents available on shelves where I live. These guys do fine work.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts out musky/animalic and sweet: hay and vanilla? Dries down to only vanilla, but a complicated and interesting vanilla. Delightful to experience, and most assuredly fine fragrance. Easily worn by any sex or gender, and nice sillage (but not as much longevity). Smart scent.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cardinal by Heeley

I don't have much experience with churches & those few times I was in one, I don't recall smelling any incense. Perhaps it's just as well I don't have any preconceived notions about church scents though I do recall the arid, bone-dry smoky incense burnt in many Asian rituals.

CARDINAL is certainly not one of those. I agree with earlier reviewers who find it smooth and easily wearable, particularly with that bit of sweetness as it dries down. Unfortunately, I like my incense a little edgier - Cardinal's straight-laced approach is a little too 'square' for my taste.

Krazy Krizia by Krizia

Used to love this in the 90's. It had to be applied with the utmost caution though, or it would be way too strong.

Treasure's avatar

Epic Woman by Amouage

A wonderful seductive scent. It changes my mood!

But how to make it last longer? Perfumeoil?

Eclix by La Perla

I do understand how this was left behind in the back of my perfume drawer. Too much cream, almond/musk and lacking freshness to become a favorite

Central Park by Bond No. 9

The fresh notes made this is my go-to for summer, and believe me, a girl wearing this can be sexy!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Sel Marin by Heeley

I thought SEL MARIN with its citrus over woods overtones kickstarts with a tribute to L'eau d'Issey pour Homme. But it takes a different path thereafter, weaving in a marine-inspired accord with great subtlety. Still,it's not quite as 'aquatic' as some would prefer though the tendency to pigeonhole scents into genres has a way of interfering with fragrance appreciation; smelling this at arm's length certainly reveals nuances that a nose-to-skin approach fails to detect.

To those who love the smell of surfer dudes after a few wipeouts, I'm sorry to report the 'sea salt' note here is fleeting at best. And for birch fans out there, do look out for the sappy undertones! A WINNER.