Latest Perfume Reviews

Devilscent #2: The Main Act by Olympic Orchids

Stardate 20160728:

Devilscent #2 now known as Dev #2 (I guess people are not a big fan of Devil) is a nice incense-y frag. If I had smelled it blind I would have said it is something good by Comme de Garcons. A better version of Parfum1 and Black. Much more wearable.
It is a notes galore but all I smell is a good incense, cade and subdued spices.
Well done and a must buy for incense lovers especially at the price they sell (around $60)

rbaker Show all reviews

APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A deep floral opening, mainly a strong ylang-ylang is the central accord, initially with a brief orange blossom that is unusually deep and very fleeing only. Further in the drydown a gently spicy note develops that never overwhelms the ylang-ylang, but becomes a distinct sidekick of the floral core. For some moments hints of cardamom, a smidgeon of opoponax and later of orris are fleetingly greeting me.

Then an ambery impression is introducing itself. This Amber is halfway between dark and bright, and smooth - I dont't get any sharpness or edge in it. As an amber it is a bit on the unexciting side

The wood note has a cedar touch, but is not a distinguished or strong or typical version of this species; I do not get any cigar box aroma at all. This is again a somewhat uninspiring cedar impression.

The sillage is moderate, the projection very good, and the longevity is an enormous fourteen hours.

On the on hand this scent for cooler spring days is a bit unexciting, but on the other hand at some stage there is a nice array of contrasting elements that are well blended whilst maintaining good structure. Furthermore, the splendid longevity as well as the good quality of the ingredients elevate this creation into the realm of a positive score. 3.25/5.

Rose Noir by Byredo

Rose Noir? More like a rose bore, if you ask me. I've given it a couple of wears and each time I wished I had worn something else. I just can't find any personality in this reticent lightly dusty rose facsimile. Perhaps we just don't click.

Polo Supreme Oud by Ralph Lauren

I immediately get the spicy combination cinnamon pepper: it is deep, rich, but it is also resinous because of the smoky resins rising up from the mid-level of the fragrance. These smoky oud resins very soon take precedence over the spices, and the spices remain in the background. The well-mannered “oud” and guaiac are done surprisingly well in spite of their synthetic nature. Although the individual notes and accords are deep and rich, they remain mellow and controlled. The opening and the movement into the heart accord are genuinely enjoyable… and the oudy smokiness of the middle surrounds and augments a basic wood heart accord. It holds up well after the interesting opening even though it has lost a little depth with the demise of the spice notes. This oudy-wood heart accord is carried into the lighter oudy-vetiveric base, and with the base, the wood / oud slowly morphs into a final skin scent of soft synthetic resin. Oud hasn’t been a strong component of this fragrance and only an impression of oud remains in the nicely-lasting base. Enjoyable to the end, and nicely masculine.

This fragrance is not very complex – it doesn’t exhibit much variation in movement from opening through heart through base, but I do not at all find its lack of complexity a problem or even a fault. Its sillage is tastefully in tune with its depth and character; its whole persona is one of relaxed-but-earnest masculinity… and it lasts for hours. I do not think of this as an oud fragrance: I very much enjoy it as an excellent modern masculine offering. I’m quite impressed because I’m not used to thinking of most of the flankers of the original Polo Green as being very desirable – but Polo Supreme Oud is definitely a worthy flanker of its green ancestor.

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

Only herbal-spicy in the opening – definitely black pepper, lavender, and sage in a dry accord… The opening and the heart accords cooperate in their delivery with a heavily spicy accord that is quite rustic than non-synthetic. I think the accusations of synthetics is because of the aromatic potency of the rosemary and star fruit. The sharpness of violet roughs-up and screechifies the whole delivery of the two top accords. I like tham.

The base turns wood with amber and musk to sweeten it just a little. Guess by Marciano 2009 is a rich scent that is lacking in sillage and longevity. Decent price… this is one of those lovable cheapies.

Kokorico by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier

The opening bergamot is a little screechy at first but quickly settles down to a generic, but decent citrus note. The ordinariness of the cirtus is improved when it combines with the rhubarb because the rhubarb lends a pleasant green sour tang to the opening... much more depth now. Then the cocoa enriches the fruit-vegetal accord even more with its powdery cocoa contribution. It has become quite likable. The base finishes off with the vanilla-like sweetness of tonka bean. All the notes are straight-forward, reduced-synthetic or non- synthetic regular notes… competent but not special. Kokorico by Night is an uncomplicated fragrance that works. I would say that, sillage-wise, it is more discrete than many similar fragrances even though it delivers a broader range of olfactory breadth than its published pyramid notes would suggest. Longevity I’ve found is below average. Although it’s a neutral to me, I can easily understand why others would desire it.

Honey Oud by Floris

An uncomplicated oud scent – refreshingly clear and direct. The honey note takes prominence in the opening. It’s not a raw honey note – it’s been civilized by the assistance of vanilla. The accord is sweet but it is neither as sweet nor as tinkley as honey often smells. It is definitely classy – after all, they do call it “English honey”. The oud begins and remains in the background and it, too, is neither feral nor raspy. As for the rose, I don’t smell it and that doesn’t bother me at all, because I’ve smelled more than enough rose-oud fragrances in the past several years. The amber, musk and laudanum that are listed in the base are definitely present, but not very stand-outish from the oud / vanilla… the composition of the base makes the scent rather linear.

I find this a quite pleasant and distinguished fragrance. The problem I have with Honey Oud is that, on my skin, it has quite limited duration as a sillage maker – it lasts for only two or three hours; after that, its skin-scent stage lasts a couple hours more.

I find this oud fragrance very clean, enjoyable, and, surprisingly original (there have been so very many oud fragrances of late, so points for its uniqueness). What it lacks in breadth and depth, it makes up for in clarity, freshness, sweetness, directness, and even an interesting creativity. I was even planning on buying it until I saw the price… Nahh-aah!

Scuderia Ferrari Extreme by Ferrari

The opening smells more synthetic than it should – I would say because of the under use of citrus, the inclusion of a cheap cardamom, and the use of a “sea accord.” However, the opening is not totally disgusting. The middle accord doesn’t improve things. The cedar is screechy, the geranium is screechy, too, and the nutmeg is too weak to offset the screechiness of the other two notes. The base is ok… most of the sharpness is gone.

Ferrari Extreme is pretty much a typical automobile fragrance: generic and uninspired. And it doesn’t last very long… not that anyone suffers for that.

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

Sweetened sweet orange blossom… great for someone who loves sweet. After a while Divin’Enfant varies by gathering a tinge of tobacco. I get a less than average sillage and it stays basically sweet-tobacco-orange blossom linear for about an hour. This lack of variety is being overdone for me – I’m just not very entertained until the leather starts entering into the accord, which makes the accord more interesting, but not enchanting. It ends in a pleasant, quiet, sweet powdery suede that has very good longevity.

Etat Libre d’Orange fragrances are known for their eccentricity, but I don’t find the quirky notes and structure in this one – Divin’ Enfant just seems rather too sweet, too ordinary, and too quirkless.

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Declaration d’Un Soir opens with a lot of potential… Cool, dignified, abstract, original... I quite like it… green and sparkly… attributed, I think, to the cardamom and pepper. Spicy, yes, aggressive or over the top, no way… not that kind of fragrance. There’s a bit of nutmeg in there, I suspect, but the underlying quality of the accord is furnished by a very nice sandalwood, which provides a solid, textured, elegant even… foundation. I don’t get a lot of rose in the fragrance: the rose note seems to be more of an aspect sandalwood texture.

Declaration d’Un Soir is a pleasant, uplifting fragrance. I like its cool attitude, its soft projection, its abstraction, its clean sandalwood, its good longevity, and especially the fact that it is not like the original Declaration.

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Fruity opening – smells like bergamot with apple highlights; there is even a semi-solid pineapple note coming through. Despite these shades of Aventus, the aromatic nature of the opening makes it seem more fresh that fruity. After a half hour or so, the bergamot wilts out and then collapses as the opening moves into the floral / patchouli heart. This patchouli shows why patchouli is classified in the wood category – this patch smells resinous-woody as it provides the dominant aspect of the heart note… the rose and jasmine are barely available to my nose. This patchouli accord is very well done.

The base is adequate but disappointing. It is mainly patchouli and what I assume is a raw type of ambergris. The pyramid cites musk and vanilla in the base but I think they come through quite minimally. Lack of “sweet” if I remember correctly, may be a characteristic of Mazzolari.

If Nero is an interesting fragrance, (and I don’t think it is), it’s the patchouli that makes it so… which, come to think of it, also reminds me that Mazzolari is noted for a few excellent patchouli offerings. All things considered concerning Nero, it has a competent progression of accord and quality materials, but the entire fragrance comes across as a bit boring.
28th July, 2016

Joop! Homme Extreme by Joop!

I couldn’t wait to try this – an extreme version of JOOP! That’s like a ultra-barbershop version of Rive Gauche pour Homme or a super leather version of Knize 10.
Well!... disappointment…

For a couple of seconds a blast of fruity musk and I thought “Wow! They did it!” But after that first four seconds things morph into a sweetish, dull texture, which reminds me of a stale fruity bubblegum… wimpy and apologetic. And there is stays. It doesn’t project anything like the original JOOP!; it doesn’t have any kind of personality whatsoever except that it’s a little bit annoying. I’m certainly not interested enough to pay attention to its longevity – who cares?

JOOP! Homme Extreme is extremely unJOOPy.

Nero by Mazzolari

Montana Black Edition by Montana

Pyramid-note wise this has the typical component notes of several of the similarly priced men’s “black” eau de toilettes – possibly there’s a little bit stronger sillage here than in the others, but the identified notes are practically the same as a dozen others that I have tested. But there is something in Montana Black Edition that makes it better than its competition. For one thing, this appears to be centered on a better quality lavender note – one more aromatic than creamy, one that does not possess that synthetic tang that the cheaper lavenders tend to have. So this one is thumbs up for the opening while many of its competitors received a thumbs down from me.

To my nose, the heart is primarily green (pine) and floral (jasmine) with a soapy sage note bringing the whole accord to come off as not-very-original but well-made and enjoyable. It still shows traces of the aromatic lavender that began the fragrance.

At first I don’t get much resinousness out of the base – the incense doesn’t come through for me. The leather note is not a strong or aggressive one, and it joins with the sandalwood to create a soapy sandalwood that is an okay accord to me even though I usually dislike leather. Later, at skin-scent stage, the incense emerges and provides a rich but soft resinous character.

In its price range, there are several designer fragrances of this general character. This is probably the best of similar fragrances that I’ve reviewed.

Geranium Odorata by Diptyque

Bergamot and geranium – at first I thought I’d love it. The aromatic opening is quite bergamot-y and geranium-ish and it suggests good things to come. But then it all-to-quickly morphs into a total-geranium ambiance that is unsatisfyingly soapy and synthetic …

In fairness I have to say that the geranium note is pleasant in a certain way… that is…if you smell it far enough away from the skin, but close to the skin it smells sharp and annoying.

It doesn’t take long for the fragrance to draw down to a light and unsubstantial wood base with an iffy aromatic aura. It’s possible I was expecting too much, but I just cannot warm up to this one. I think this product is (untypically) unworthy of Diptyque.

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

I wore Chrome a fairly often when I lived in a tropic climate. I don’t find Chrome Sport to be much different from Chrome… possibly a little less metallic and a bit more refined, basically softer and smoother than the original. Whatever …I like Sport better than the original. Sport is a citrus metallic scent that concentrates on the sharper citruses of grapefruit, bitter orange, and lemon. It’s a linear citrus that adds a tiny bit of grassy green, “oxygen,” and maybe ginger (the metallic note) to a very light base of cedar. I don’t actually smell the cedar but there is an anonymously-textured wood base. It works quite nicely. It’s enjoyable and it works well as a sports fragrance. It has decent, non-offending sillage for an almost-reasonable length of time... It could stand a little more longevity, but I guess that good longevity is not extremely important in a sports fragrance. It serves well as a unisex sports fragrance, and I would certainly wear it often if I still lived in a tropic climate.

Le Parfume Paris / Fragrance 31 pour Homme by Micallef

I haven’t experienced many scents like this. It is obviously a niche quality, but in a certain sense I see it as a rather naïve scent... the quality of the ingredients is unassailable. For the opening I get the top notes and the heart notes all at once: I get a bergamot / lavender combination that is very smooth – it is sensual and soft, but the heart notes - the geranium / jasmine and the spices – nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves –don’t seem to act like the spice notes found in most fragrances. There’s a kind of gritty feel to them which I enjoy. The effect of this is that the accord is both smooth and… while not rough, the spices have a bit of grouchy attitude. I guess that this is to say that the bergamot / lavender combo is too smooth and soft so the spices had to have been roughed up a little so the scent could pass as masculine… a creative but possibly a bit naïve way to solve the problem of a beautiful bergamot / lavender accord.

The base is the anything but naïve even though its components somewhat mirror the relationships of the opening and heart… It is an incredibly competent work of art as far as I’m concerned. The notes list four woods – cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, and patchouli. Then there is musk and vanilla… The woods provide a smooth deep, long-lasting base but I can barely smell them because the musk is so dominant. I don’t ever notice the vanilla in the base but it is there because something is providing the additional sweetness. I bought a bottle of Le Parfum No. 31 blind (It cost a mere $20.) The first several times I wore it I thought of it as a primarily musk scent. Then I decided that it was like those ‘90s fragrances with conglomerate accords, except that No. 31 is constructed with excellent ingredients instead of synthetics… in other words, a niche quality designer fragrance at a drugstore price. I don’t know how to categorize it... Whatever… I love wearing it and I bought a couple of back-up bottles.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Chèvrefeuille Original is a watery green fragrance. I envision honeysuckle vines covered in a very heavy dew on a pleasant early summer morning. It's also very lightly floral and also starts out slightly spicy. As it progresses, the floral note dissipates for me and the spiciness increases. While it's still very much a green scent, it becomes rather soapy. If the beautiful, light florals stuck around and if the soapiness was minimized, I could see Chèvrefeuille Original alongside modern Creeds. But slightly spicy green soap probably wouldn't sell well when compared to what's available from the house today. Having said that, I still find it a very pleasant scent. Surprisingly, I can still smell it more than ten hours after applying it to my chest. The projection is not heavy, but it does persistently project. So count me impressed. When I want a light, but long-lasting fresh, clean fragrance, this is a good one to reach for.
27th July, 2016 (last edited: 28th July, 2016)

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

I am a huge fan of incense notes, and Sahara Noir is among the best I've smelled. It is simultaneously sweeter and more tarry than another of my favorites, Comme des Garcons' Avignon (with which it is often compared); I find it less dry than Avignon, too. I seem to detect vanilla behind Sahara Noir's prominent resins, though it is not listed among the notes - this has the effect of wrapping one up in a blanket of heavenly smoke. Or maybe it is the prominent amber that draws me in. Sahara Noir is well balanced, intriguing, hypnotic - a splendid incense fragrance.

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Giving this a neutral... not sure if it is quality of the spices or the mix of the juice but there is a slight headache inducing quality to the scent. Not sure if it was actually the juice or I was having a bad day lol... Either way the juice does last for about 6 hours on me with 3 hours of decent projection. Maybe I will give it another go due to the prices online being great for this scent and the positive reviews on this site.

Sunshine Man by Amouage

Sunshine Man is a classic meets modern type of fragrance. Spicy lavender gives it a barbershop vibe to me. The lavender isn't harsh, but very pleasant. This rather classic smell is met with a strong sweetness. Yes, it is a sweet fragrance, but it isn't just a sweet fragrance. There is also a nice boozy aura about it as well. Plus the sweetness isn't a candy or delicious sweetness. So the sweetness is only one element and isn't overwhelming to me. Sunshine Man is probably Amouage's most versatile masculine scent. It fits well in the office as well as on a date. It would work in colder weather and in the heat. Note that it is a rather powerful fragrance. It is overpowering (for yourself and probably for those around you) if you over spray. Two sprays on the chest (yes, only two) for me and I'm set for the day. And yes, I said "day," because it will last and project all day.

Sunshine Man is often attacked as being unlike other fragrances from the house. No, it doesn't have incense or oud notes. But think of Interlude, Dia, and Honour. Are these three Amouage offerings similar? Well, they all share a certain rich elegant presence and dare I say, opulence. Looking at it this way, Sunshine Man fits very well in Amouage's lineup and certainly a well-deserved place in my wardrobe.

Oud Immortel by Byredo

The opening is more attractive than that of Accord Oud, with none of the latter's gasoline fume-like aspects despite sharing a similar dark smoky-woodsy central accord, replaced by a berry-like facet that tempers the band-aid tint that is oft-associated with synthetic oud constructs. Unfortunately this intriguing phase runs out of gas within the hour as a dry patchouli accord asserts itself.

As the scent unfolds, I don't detect any styles of tobacco whatsoever so I won't try to blow smoke up anyone's ....!

This Byredo is not particularly loud but has enough presence to make someone notice you're there. I'm not convinced that's a good thing though. While the occasional whiff is acceptable, a more prolonged exposure starts to grate on the senses, like listening to a bad recording of a favorite song.

Eau Lente by Diptyque

A scent from the past

Diptyque's journey and region-inspired scent library is a unique concept in its own way. But recreating scents based on historical accounts is in a totally different world, in my opinion.

As historical accounts go, Pedanius Dioscorides, a physician, pharmacologist and botanist (c. 40-90AD), wrote De Materia Medica in his native Greek - Opoponax is described in it several times for its "medical properties".

Whether or not Alexander the Great or his generals enjoyed the scent that Eau Lente is today I'll leave up to you to decide. But I will say that I have struggled to find an incense or myrrh-based scent that reminds me of anything close to Orthodox incense. The sweet, baby-powder like scent of opoponax, spices and cinnamon are very strongly reminiscent of Orthodox Church incense. To me the scent instantly conjures up images of ancient Greece, Byzantine churches and indeed the landscape of a once Imperial Empire.

Don't get me wrong though. Eau Lente is not everyone's cup of tea. You could easily mistake this for a sweet incense scent; it's simplicity is what is most notable as is the quality of the ingredients. I would struggle to wear this at times, but perhaps my most envisaged moment would be to church during Holy Week.

Those who like Eau Duelle's mystical vanilla or Tam Dao's woody-ambery base could easily be seduced by Eau Lente's powdery-soapy trail. May your journey through history be as fragrant as the churches of Mystra!
rbaker Show all reviews

À la Rose by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

The orange in the opening soon gives way to he rose; a gentle, bright, soft and airy rose that becomes a touch richer as time goes by. There are whiffs of violet and white lily with other more ephemeral florals mixed in, but the rose remains the centrepiede until the end, when a rather perfunctory touch of a woodsy tone briefly appears. The rose impression exudes only mild sweetness on my skin.

I get soft sillage, adequate projection and a - given this scent's lightness unexpected - impressive longevity of eleven hours on my skin.

A lovely summery light yet somewhat linear rose composition whose main forte is the high natural quality of the ingredients used. For the lover of discrete rose fragrances. 3/5.

Sweet Morphine by Ex Nihilo

Another super chic Ex Nihilo's piece of modern perfume-art, a scent waving throughout in the middle between traditional classic elegance and contemporary minimalistic glamour, angular (kind of simil-indolic) floral brightness and visceral dark-oriental synthetic carnality. Actually in my humble experience Ex Nihilo is dancing on the top levels of that contemporary neo-classic synth perfumery with a new modern-chic coeval inclination. Floral freshly radiant brightness and dark/oriental smooth-velvety enigma coexist in this provocative formula. The name itself (Sweet Morphine) clearly embodies and unfolds this inherent ambivalence (the romantic and translucent "rosey-dreamy" on the side of the more obscure "erotic"). Especially in the top you can experience a juxtaposition between floral angularity (typical of such florals like lilac or peony) and superb woody-floral oriental silkiness (kind of porous and spongy due to an addictive melange of musk, smooth iris absolute, soft vetiver, a tad of suede, woods and yummy well calibrated vanilla). A destabilizing floral conundrum. On this "mature" stage you can catch vague connections with smooth iris-veined dry downs like the ones we get in scents as Laboratorio Olfattivo Daimiris, Dior Cuir Cannage, Heeley Iris de Nuit or Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris (each one of the previous taken for several of their characteristics). Initial bergamot, musks and woods imprint classic chypre structure rooting down (as usual for Ex Nihilo) an olfactory "basement" for a following modern-chic evolution. Iris, complemented by a mesmerizing smooth vetiver (like in the middle of a Dioresque combo), provides enigma and "pathos" to the whole floral composition, turning finally the floral radiancy out in terms of elusive silky mistiness and warm woody-floral carnality. Finally I catch on skin hints of vetiver's saltiness, really evident along the dry down. Dry down ( combining classic and contemporary in a pretty new interpretation) is the top of neo-classic silky sensuality, a dark waving floral-smooth mantle making a special woman to stand out among dozens and dozens. Class, wisdom in perfumery and super glamour modern interpretion.
26th July, 2016 (last edited: 28th July, 2016)

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

This perfume's hype as a stinker is greatly exagerated.
I don't get the urine/fecal bomb that others speak about. Yes, it is a bit animalistic but, not as bad as most reviews here will have you believe and in fact, it is very nicely and tastefully done.

No overwhelming fecals, or salty sweaty after copulation smell, no camel or unwashed rider, no sweaty female delicates or, any other metaphorical description that has been used to convey how this perfume smells.

Having said all that, my skin has a tendency to tame what others perceive as seriously animalistic perfumes. On my skin this is a nice masculine dark floral, with some mild animalistic and spicy nuances which, gives this perfume a sexy/sensual vibe.

Mine is a new 2016 bell bottle from which I wore two swipes. I will decant 2ml into a spray and see if there are any differences when this perfume is atomised. I shall adjust this review accordingly.

EDIT: I have decanted it and pumped three full blasts, one to my chest and one on each wrist. Sorry but, on my skin, I get none of the fecal, post-coital, camel's butt or, any of the other metaphorical niceties used to describe this perfume... But, I does make me feel very sexy and, that feeling got confirmed.
I am currently out meeting some friends and, I got a comment from a young woman in the bar (we are waiting for our table)... " what are you wearing?... you smell darn sexy!" I am in my 50's and, being complimented like that by a much younger woman has made my day!
My friends want to know what I am wearing too but, my lips are sealed!
Loving this... MKK where have you been all my life?
Oviatt Show all reviews

Havana by Aramis

Man meets tobacco, with a brief detour through a citrus grove, a stop by the barber shop for a splash of bay rum, all the while clutching a wooden cigar box. You have smoked the cigars and eaten a spicy meal that comes out slightly in your sweat (beneath an impeccable white linen suit). Given all of this—and a name like Havana--one might expect Conga lines to break out every time you wear it, and Daiquiris to be oozing from your pores but it is surprisingly subtle and wearable. I suspect that my new Gentleman’s Collection bottle is a shadow of its former self, but the result is masculine, sexy and subtly tenacious. Havana works surprisingly well in the heat and while there is nothing fresh and aquatic about it, it does smell like grace under pressure, with a generous heart and a mañana attitude.

Riviera by English Laundry

Boring generic juice that I was really hoping would be a winner. It is a rather weak synthetic scent that doesn't last more than 4 hours on my skin. Starts with a blast of synthetic citrus and gets worse as it drys... it is a "mall scent for sure" and for the price ($60 US plus online) you can do A LOT better... Avoiding the rest from this house as well.

Kenneth Cole Signature by Kenneth Cole

A nice ambery fragrance from Kenneth Cole that shows that this designer fragrance house does occasionally produce a solid scent... Even if it is for nothing more than work or casual wear you will fell slightly sophisticated wearing this than say other mainstream generic scents. Decent staying power as well... Great online pricing... Enjoy!

Black by Kenneth Cole

This is a rather generic middle of the road scent... but what else would you get from a mass produced mainstream designer fragrance. It does have a solid opening but as you go along for the ride through the mid and base it turns synthetic and boring. Shouldn't offend and the online price is solid.