Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

FLYbaby's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Synthetic apple. Ever smelled a real fresh apple?
    Could not even bear to finish the sample. Put it in my desk drawer and was relieved when a student expressed her love for it: donated it immediately. Maybe it is a question of age...

lex's avatar

Coco by Chanel

a very attractive scent for a woman. giving compliments where theyre due.with a slight warmth vanilla cocoa presence.

garybruce's avatar

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

An incredibly well-blended frag for men that resonates throughout the day - you get the sympony of the overall accord yet can pick out individual notes, all the way from its opening through dry down. Worth spending $$$ to experience a masterpiece. Indeed, others have voted likewise, as today's Ebay lists a 3.4 oz spray bottle with an asking price of $540 from an English seller.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Spice and Wood by Creed

This just doesn't seem worthy of being CREED. Great title...not so great perfume. It's neither Spice or Woodie enough to merit its title.

ZeCheiroso's avatar

Top *
    Heart ***
    Base *
    Final score **

Fragranticans will collapse the review, Basenoters will hate me, the fact is dated stuff is dated.
    Scary scent in that bottle.

The good
    It's an icon, yes. The heart smells like a discontinued EDC from Atkinsons, After Sport, and I do have good memories from it, otherwise it'd get a plain and simple 1 star as final score.
    I'm unable to detect much of a synthetic vibe but then again I can't really find much in specific within that potent concoction.
    Longevity is good, sillage is nuclear when sprayed, it does mellow a bit over time.

The bad
    Dated scent, period. The very mature ladies will chase you around for sure: they say it smells like "real men". Fine...
    Too loud and sharp therefore not versatile.

The ugly
    The best young girl repelent I've found so far, as soon as I sprayed it they all went "eeeeew". The only reason I didn't wash it off was to review it properly.

I've smelled it before, and wasn't sure it was classic Polo. Thanks heavens I gave up on a blind on Modern Reserve, it can't be much far from that, even with the tame top notes.

Odile's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I first became intrigued by this scent while reading The Collector by John Fowles (psychologically fascinating read, by the way). Inspiring more than one real-life psychopath, the book is about a disturbed young man who abducts a beautiful art student and holds her captive in the cellar of his remote estate. The captive-protagonist is vibrant, idealistic, compassionate, philosophical, dignified, and forcefully determined to live. She embodies a thrilling fullness of youth and passion and joie de vivre. She is the perfect foil to her emotionally dead, clinical, and hollow captor who lacks the ability to appreciate any of her remarkable qualities beyond just her physical beauty. In one pivotal scene, she has steeled herself to seduce her captor, her desperate will to live finally usurping her principles. She is certain she can melt his cold, detached soullessness by giving of herself; by showing him human tenderness and vulnerability she believes might inspire him to show mercy. Intent on her aim, she emerges resolute from a long, near-ceremonial bath wafting “oceans of Mitsouko.”

I found this scene haunting, weighty, chilling. From this time I have associated Mitsouko with solemn resolve, beauty with the strength and fragility of spider’s silk, uncertainty as deep and vast as the ocean. A fragrance associated with human spirit that has been pushed beyond its limits and has emerged from the other side stronger, more powerful, and with the realization of possessing a kind of freedom that cannot be taken by another. That simple description “oceans of Mitsouko” has stuck in my mind; I longed to experience it, and yet, for some reason this curiosity was shelved and forgotten. Now many years later I have finally tried Mitsouko for myself and it brings all these impressions and associations flooding back to me upon first sniff. Incredibly, this smells exactly as I would imagine it on the beautiful young captive in her damp, earthen cellar on a dark, isolated night, prepared to take on and defeat the worst of human nature with the best of human nature – compassion and forgiveness. Lovely, melancholy, beguiling, intoxicating, austere and yet warm, a touch sad, but also wise and knowing. Poignant. I do not think it was happenstance that Fowles chose to incorporate this fragrance as a sensuous detail into his eerie tale.

I have a teeny-tiny decant of vintage extrait; I suspect it has degraded a bit with time because on my skin the top-notes seem nonexistent. It cuts straight to a heart of overripe peach nestled in a mossy heart with just a hint of spice, mainly clove. I find this stays very close to my skin and almost melds seamlessly into my own chemistry. The voluptuous softness of the peach perfectly rounds out the sharper edges of the moss. I find it addictive, achingly beautiful, and unlike anything else I have experienced. Beside Mitsouko, all of my other favorite chypres (especially those by Bernard Chant) seem like they’re . . . missing . . . something. That round, soft sweetness reigning in the deeply hypnotic and expansive mossiness is utterly unique to Mitsouko (as far as I have yet to come across, anyway). Since sampling this, I simply don’t feel like wearing any of my other fragrances. I’m sure this will change with time, but right now I am under Mitsouko’s spell. I am awaiting a mail-order of the modern EDP and can only hope it will not disappoint me. I am hoarding this small decant of vintage, indescribably saddened by the knowledge that I might not be able to replace it; that eventually, this scent will cease to exist.

I don’t understand the reviewers who claim they don’t “get” Mitsouko. I guess I don’t see what there is to “get” – it is beautiful. End stop. I don’t get bread, dough, pickles, rancid nuts or cooking oil from this. It isn’t a fickle scent on my skin – she has been consistently lovely. Maybe I will understand when I try the newer formulation. Maybe I just got lucky with my chemistry. I find it timeless, quite more so even than sister-scent Shalimar. I have a wardrobe of fragrances others might consider “old lady” and though I enjoy them and appreciate them, I can understand where the “old lady” critique might apply. I don’t feel this way about Mitsouko. I am suddenly all but intolerant of the “modern” fragrances in my collection – they don’t speak to me the way Mitsouko does. They never have. I am also a little saddened to think this may be my one and only olfactory experience of this magnitude, no other fragrance has yet passed my radar that has carried with it such anticipation, such expectations, and so much weighty context. I will enjoy the search, however!

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

Grand Amour, on my skin, opens with lush, dry florals and roses sprinkled with aldehydes.

While labeled as a feminine, I actually believe Grand Amour could be unisex. A prominent rose note.

While a bit fleeting than other floral fragrances that I've tried, Grand Amour does last longer on me than other Annick Goutal offerings, e.g. Eau d'Hadrien.

I'm a guy, and I like Grand Amour. Certainly not my favorite floral or rose, no, but it smells nice.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2011)

Aramis by Aramis

Aramis by Aramis is one reason among many that I love Estée Lauder. This is the only men’s non-niche stark leather chypre perfume available. It’s been in production since the 1960s, so it must have some degree of a following. Why are there no imitators trying to cash in? Along with its twin, EL’s Azurée, it is the heir to the Cabochard fortune. Of course the estate is still in probate, as nobody can determine if Cabochard is alive or dead.

I’ve seen a number of lists of notes, but to my nose it’s a bergamot-heavy, herbal, patchouli and moss blast. I’ve seen it described as floral, and if it is, it’s of the searing dry variety. I go back and forth between this and Azurée. They are notably similar side by side, and the one could easily be taken for the other in isolation. Aramis is a bit sharper, has a cooler herbal tone (clove, bay, pepper) and more patchouli. The similarities, though, outweigh the differences.

The majority of the good leathers and leather chypres come from the niche world (Rien, Cuir Mauresque) or from smaller-release houses (Bandit, Knize Ten.) This EL cheapie, though, compares favorably with the best of them. Interesting to note, it’s also outlived (or resisted lethal reformulation) Madame Jolie, Cabochard and Tabac Blond. A survivor.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

A nice masculine linear leather similar to the leather found in Fahrenheit. Lasts a very long time and projects nicely, however for the price there are better options.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2011)

silversurfer's avatar

Costume National Homme by Costume National

Sweet, spicy; great last, good sillage (not too big of a wake). Drydown reminds me of frankincense & myrrh w/ a touch of cedar. Only bad thing is my wife says it reminders her of gerbal cage... (must be the cedar) bummer! Maybe if I tried a little less next time?

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2011)

Incense Rosé by Tauer

It’s funny that in sitting down to write this I thought how much Incense Rosé is like Cacharel’s Loulou. They’re both fireworks aldehydic florientals---expansive, bubbly, heady and very easy to enjoy. I turn to both when I’m happy and want to be reminded that I am. Incense Rosé isn’t hard to like, but its ease is not a fault. It’s a sparkly to the point of raspy blend of aldehyde, rose, cardamom, frankincense, cedar and amber. I found Incense Rosé after I got to know Andy Tauer’s Lonestar Memories and L’Air du Désert Marocain. Lonestar is so stolid and Désert Marocain is contemplative. I was surprised when this came flying out of the bottle. I bought it, started wearing it, never questioned it and I love it.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

neo_the_1's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Nothing more to say about this classic.I have tried a few vetivers...namely vetiver extreme,lanvin vetyver,carven vetyver,Encre noir....still looking for more...but this is the best of all vetivers I tried and also one of the best of my collection.
    Whenever I wear this,It makes me feel "RICH".Even better than GIT as far as my skin is concerned.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2011)

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Looking over the reviews of Cèdre I realize I’m one of only a handful who actually like it. Yes, the name’s a bit odd, but only a bit. If you’re looking for the airy, crystalline cedar of the Lutens Bois perfumes you won’t find it here. What’s here is the oily, dusty cedar like straight-up cedar essential oil. The oily quality mixes with the syrup of the amber and the booze of the camphorous tuberose.

Floriental usually implies the hybrid friendliness of amber fragrances and prettiness of florals. Cèdre subverts the genre, being more melancholic than affable, alluring rather than pretty. Lutens is considered to have reinvented the oriental. Maybe this is his reinvented floriental.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2012)

Calamus2K's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

At long last I've procured another bottle of the discontinued and very hard to find L'Elisir d'Amore! I date a lot of different young men and, without exception, they are all positively mad about this scent. None of them have any idea what it is that I'm wearing (and I wear it quite sparingly), but they’re always so intrigued by it that they constantly nuzzle up against my neck to take in its intoxicating aroma with very long, deep breaths, which they then exhale with a barely audible sigh........ Need I say more?? ‘Heaven, I’m in heaven.......’

And what more is there to say, other than this is a true classic that withstood the decades of fads and gimmicks....... A complex and mysterious ‘signature’ scent that elegantly distinguishes itself from the common mass of generic fragrances. The fact that it's such a 'dude-magnet' begs the question: Why are so many of today's colognes merely an array of insipid clones, when young guys are still so obviously drawn to a well-defined classic such as Perry Ellis For Men (circa 1985)?

Calamus2K's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Really???

Smells like something you would give a 14 y/o boy to wear on his first date.

zzzzzzzzzz..........

Shy.'s avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

So smooth , distinctive it lasts allmost whole day, just perfection , one of my favourites i suggest all to try it. When u fall in his claws u cant turn back :)

Shy.'s avatar

Kouros Eau de Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

So nice , distinctive , most of people get rejected by it when trying it , but when you get used on it you cant get enough. 10 / 10

perfumenut's avatar

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

When I saw Dominique Ropion listed as one of the perfumers, I had high hopes....but this was a major disappointment. Upon application, the sillage was that of the" air in Perfumania" after a spritz-a-thon. Just a mish mash of fragrance notes without any real structure. Once it dried down on my skin (about 15 minutes later), notes became clearer (jasmine, fruit) but still nothing special to talk about. Generic floral mess.

odysseusm's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

This isn't bad.
    The spices are somewhat sweet and certainly generic -- I don't detect ginger at all.
    Some citrus-y notes brighten the mix.
    The scent is smooth, attractive, not heavy, and quite pleasant.
    There is a faint hint of smoke towards the end.

odysseusm's avatar

Laura Biagiotti by Laura Biagiotti

Starts with an aromatic-green note, one that is ozonic and herbal at the same time.
    At this point it is rather interesting.
    Then it turns left at Albequerque and gets powdery, metallic, heavy and somewhat obnoxious.

distortech's avatar

Morgan de Toi Homme by Morgan de Toi

I am a huge fan of Annick, so I just had to have this. All that can be said is that it's very simple and to the point. It simply does it's job of being a stronger version of a modern cologne and nothing more.

Like it or leave it, that's the extent of it.

Laura_2009's avatar

Chamade by Guerlain

I was fifteen and it was almost Christmas ... I was shopping in a busy department store, when suddenly I smelled the MOST BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE IN THE WORLD. I had to find out what it was and where it came from. In spite of the crowd, I made my way to the perfume section and I discovered Chamade de Guerlain. This happened ten years ago and Chamade is still the angel scent that follows me everywhere I go and that warms up my heart when I feel a little sad. (Toronto, Canada)

shamu1's avatar

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

Trust me, I'm no expert in bay rums. I've only casually sampled a couple in stores, and I once owned a bottle of Burts Bees' terrible Bay Rum. That's the extent of my exposure to bay rum.

It's my impression from reading reviews that good bay rums are supposed to be loud and intense, though short-lived. That being said, I can say that Clubman's Bay Rum is a very well balanced fragrance, particularly for a bay rum, and I like it very much. Though this is quite spicy, the clove and cinnamon notes do not overpower this scent, and they counterbalance the boozy sweetness of the base notes very nicely. This isn't a rough, jagged bay rum, but a rather smooth one. I almost feel like I could pour this into a glass with some ice and drink it. Of course, the longevity is awful, clocking in at about an hour. Reapplication is not only necessary if you want to smell like this all day, but is actually quite enjoyable. Bring you bottle to work!

I can't tell if this is like other Pinauds, namely serving as both a fragrance and an aftershave. I have to think this is meant solely as a cologne, because it makes a lousy aftershave. I slapped this on my face after a shave a few weeks ago, and it burned like fire and left red splotches on my face. That was the first and last time I will ever use this as an aftershave. This will stay in my wardrobe as a fragrance only.

This is definitely worth picking up. Virgin Island Bay Rum is yet another example of the excellent fragrance products that Pinaud continues to release at ridiculously low prices.

MY RATING: 8/10

ACYYC's avatar

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

Pretty good on the dry down, but MAN what a mess right off the top. really sweet and in your face, powder and treacle all the way.

ACYYC's avatar

Classic 1920 by Bois 1920

clean, sophisticated, warm yet crisp. kind of like a more open and straightforward Allure. Starts off strong, and warms down nicely after an uncomplicated development. Excellent. Expensive but worth it.

colormechris's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

I found a little bottle of this at a thrift store and didn't think much of it. So it went in the cabinet with the room fresheners. One day I dabbed it on a piece of cotton and hid it in a planter in my front hall. I kind of forgot about it until one day I went to get the mail and I thought, "Hmmm, what is that wonderful welcoming smell?" It was the Bellodgia. Now it's sort of like a dear old Aunt has come to visit and left her perfume trailing behind her. You know, that Aunt who eats at the most expensive place in town, carries an alligator bag and wears a fur coat. She's kind of over the top, but you wouldn't have her any other way...because she's also comforting and calming and full of common sense.

Tourbillion's avatar

Prada (original) by Prada

This is a review for the original parfum. It comes in a low, wide round bottle that is gold, glass, and black. There is a gold "cork" so you daub this scent on.

The scent is not too sweet, someone here described it as a white flower, leather chypre and I think that is apt. I can't help thinking that the earlier review was for the new Prada, and I don't really get much patchouli, amber and vanilla in this one. There might be just a smidgen but I doubt it. The notes to me are white flowers, something sharp (and annoying), possibly ylang ylang, probably aldehydes, leather, and something woody, possibly aoud or a tiny bit of vetiver.

There is however a warmth to this fragrance, but there is also an opposing coolness in the flowers and the woody "aoud" note. This is not a floral scent though, it is mostly a leather scent. Once it dries, the scent is almost linear on me, there is always a sense of the floral leather there and the silage is fairly strong, but this is a perfume so it is expected.

It is very different from some of my favorite leather scents, the leather is nothing like Cuir de Russie or Bandit it is more like Cuir Mauresque (but much less sweet), or Oud Cuir D'Arabie (cleaner than this one), so more of a raw leather saddle scent than a shoe or a suede . The scent is almost masculine, but the floral note might scare off some men, and ladies as well.

I am a fan of vintage scents (i.e. 1920's to 1940's) and I can't help thinking that this one belongs to that era more so than to the 1980's when I believe it originated. This is not an easy scent to wear. If you want a sweet comfortable leather I would pass. I do wear this every once in a while, but it is a challenging scent.

Not for everyone.

jcastano's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

A very dry, dirty, and earthy vetiver over smoked woods (almost burnt) and very light musk. The top notes are a bit strong but after about two hours or so, it settles out leaving a bitter green, peppery, woody musk. Sillage is above average and longevity gives me about 6-8+ hours. It's very unique and extremely masculine! I truly can't see any female pulling this off or anyone with a less refined taste in fragrance. This isn't another run of the mill type deals, this is something that can only be appreciated by an older gentleman or a lover of the art of perfumery. I also really like the bottle! Though the cubed, black stained glass bottle with the wooden cap is simplistic, it firmly captures the whole aura of this fragrance. That is, sophistication and class. This here is a true masterpiece in the art of perfumery! A+

Weimar27's avatar

Vivara (new) by Emilio Pucci

This isn't your original Chypre your grandmom used to wear it's clean and modern The opening is green with an sour
    tinge of Galbanum then as it dries it sweetens with Amaretto an alcoholic note
    that is a bit brave and daring even if the
    consumer is under 21, orange blossom is a tad diluted also jasmine but Narcissus
    with it's deep and intoxicating properties is dominant and blends nicely

Orris or Iris adds to a powdery earthy
    finish and with dry Vetiver.

The Boozy sweetness is a cross between
    Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise & Queen Latiffah's Queen also i never tried
    to original Vivara so i can't judge
    but this is nice but it does'nt last long on my skin.

hanna.sunden's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Hairspray, white florals (jasmine, freesia, lily of the valley?), red berries and citrus on a base of patchouli and popcorn. Hm, I'm thirty and felt like this is something I would've outgrown by the time I was thirteen. But then (shudder) fruity florals was never my thing....