Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

hanna.sunden's avatar
    hanna.sunden
    Sweden Sweden

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Hairspray, white florals (jasmine, freesia, lily of the valley?), red berries and citrus on a base of patchouli and popcorn. Hm, I'm thirty and felt like this is something I would've outgrown by the time I was thirteen. But then (shudder) fruity florals was never my thing....

bugsyiii's avatar
    bugsyiii

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

After having read all of the reviews, I thought that I should try this fragrance for myself. So, I bought a sample from Luckyscent.com and I must say after recieving my sample.......I enjoy this fragrance a great deal. Yes, depending on your taste of scent you may initially receive a different reaction at first wiff, but let it dry down and man is this fragrance amazing!!!! Again, try it for yourself before you make a finally conclusion. I am so glad I purcahsed this even after reading all the reviews.

debbborra's avatar
    debbborra

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This one is dangerous for me. I'm an exsmoker and the ashtray note, which is pronounced, but inoffensively so, on me, is giving me such a craving for a smoke. Not just ashtray, but smoked tea, and unlit tobacco as well.
    It's a sweet and serious smell, feminine, but not so much so that a man couldn't wear this.
    The initial impression is lemon (it's actually bergamot) and leather.It softens within minutes to a pipe tobacco and finally, smoky tea, and a couple of hours in, yes, a kind of delicious interpretation of ashtray.

Fullbuster's avatar
    Fullbuster
    Belgium Belgium

Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander

Actually, it is marketed as a man fragrance. However, I can see why BN put the gender as feminine. I consider this as unisex fragrance. It smells like light vanilla cotton candy with a little woody background. FYI, it's not so easy to find this gem in the perfume stores compared with other Jil Sander's frags. Bottom line, for any vanilla lovers, this EDT-intense might be for you.

Clemmie's avatar
    Clemmie

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

Well I must be an odd-ball, because I've always loved this one. It's one that comes and goes, I pick it up, use it, then don't use it for ages, then rekindle it again. I'm currently in a rekindle phase, and I still love it. It is powdery, and powdery fragrances are usually ones I avoid, but this has something unusual and genteel about it, certainly a 'granny' fragrance in some ways, but I find that depends who is wearing it. I wore this when I was in my late teens and early twenties and now I'm in my 50s and still love it. It's comforting (to me) and warm, and safe. Also, it has longevity like you wouldn't believe. I always appreciate a perfume that lasts and lasts...

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I was so excited when I found an older version of the edt in my "give away" drawer! My find drives home the fact that the newest version is simply a shadow of it's former self. The soaring top notes of vintage edt shriek. The bergamot is Earl Grey tea, not lemon. The rosewood, vetiver & oakmoss demand your attention. The old Cristalle edt was a bitch; the new edt is a fresh kid. Having said all of that, Cristalle is still a marvel in this age of pink gourmand. And she did not cop out by morphing into a soft, comfortable suede like so many new chypres.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

Pretty good. I was reminded of Gucci Envy for Men with a powdery peppery smell but lacking punch. Also this is much more crisp and sharp, and then it mellows down into something similar to Chanel Allure Homme's drydown of tonka bean and amber. Kinda classy scent but lack a certain something to make it stand out.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Stetson Sierra by Stetson

I never knew exactly what people mean when they describe a scent as "woodsy", but after smelling Sierra, now I know. This is a superb fragrance! If you mixed Tsar with Gucci Nobile and Grafton by Truefitt & Hill, it would smell a lot like Sierra. This is a dark green smelling fougere that is both spicy and woody throughout its duration. The opening contains good pine notes that segue seamlessly into a sustained green woody heart and drydown that smells like pure classic masculinity. I enjoy this a lot!

I don't smell any similarity to Polo. Though I love it, Polo is a heavy and overpowering bruiser of a scent. Sierra is not that at all. I wouldn't say it's discreet, but Sierra is all about smelling green and spicy, and it totally lacks the density and crushing sillage of Polo. Longevity is very good (about 8 hours), though it lacks the 24 hour endurance of Polo. My only complaint is that I wish the pine notes lasted longer.

Sierra is a beautiful, classic scent that will never smell dated. There will always be a place in the world for fragrances like Sierra.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Sortilège by Long Lost Perfume

I have a sample of uncertain vintage. This is a kissing cousin to Coty L'Aimant and Chanel No 5. This is a soft swirly jasmine fragrance. There are notes of roses, violets and woods as well. It's sooooooooooooooooo pretty. Gracious and balanced. It smells like an archetype of French perfume. This perfume is like the perfect guest.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Miyako by Annayaké

Fragrantica says the notes are:
    Top notes: cardamom, cinnamon, frankincense
    Middle notes: Hinoki wood, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood
    Base notes: musk, wild rose, benzoin, myrrh, amber

This is a beautiful fragrance..a one can easily imagine it as a spiritual Japanese incense scent as it purportedly was inspired by. But at the same time if you have Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan..you will not need this. They are nearly identical. The Miyako speaks in a softer voice with a slightly sweeter lilt of cinnamon and cardamon. The Miyako deepens into a slightly creamier amber. The differences are truly slight. I LOVE them both.

Odile's avatar
    Odile

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Many years ago, when I purchased this, my tastes were quite different than they are now. I think the Liv Tyler marketing really sold me as she seemed the epitome of modern glamour/ sexiness to my much younger self. I was also into rose-based fragrances at the time. I don't think I ever enjoyed wearing this however - on my skin this turns into simply overripe synthetic fruits. Always cloying. I always regretted the times I pulled it out of my rotation. Eventually, my nearly full bottle made it's way to the donation bin. No desire to revisit.

Trauerkraut's avatar
    Trauerkraut
    Netherlands Netherlands

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

I do not like the woody dry-down: to my nose it smells like my Moroccan neighbor who showers once a week. Clotted sweat. Bah!

17 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2010)

silversurfer's avatar
    silversurfer

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

My classic, which I wore for many years. good sillage, lasts. A semi-formal scent with dark resinous spicey base. I recently ran out & the only reason I'm looking for something else is my wife wants me to try something different for a change!

17 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2011)

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Elements Aqua, by the by, is not an aquatic. The only "aqua" thing about this fragrance is the bottle and the liquid inside.

What it is, actually, is a fresh-fruity fragrance that's both creamy and sweet. Lemme try and explain it in a more metaphorical way:

Égoïste (the original) and Xeryus Rouge come home late one night sometime in 1995 after an Oasis concert. They make love, and almost a year later, Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss is born. Several years later, Égoïste and Xeryus Rouge go at it one last time and produce Joop! Jump, which is Aqua's new baby brother. They all lived happily ever after.....

So, anyway, is Elements Aqua worth seeking out because of its rarity alone? No. Does it smell nice? Um...... sure, but I'd much rather wear Égoïste, or Xeryus Rouge than this one. It's not my cup of tea, per se.

17 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle

I thought I’d love this fragrance. Dark green chypre . I’d read a lot of comments from fans. Risky. Strange. Exciting. Maybe the parfum is different, but I only know the edt. NdSP hits the notes I should love (green, mossy, bitter) but doesn’t really do anything with them. The top notes are strong, but indistinct. As it evolves, NdSP starts to seem more unsteady. It’s got some of the right stuff, but what seems like haphazard composition and uneven editing make it seem both out of proportion and simple at the same time. The seams are showing. Not long into its evolution, it gets patchier and then falls apart, and oddly, the only interesting parts ---the bitterness, really (moss, tagetes)---fade and a vague resinous sweetness remains.

Proof that we’re not blind fans of any particular genre and that artistry in composition matters.

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

Vetiver by Etro

This is a wonderful, dry, rooty, "in-your-face" vetiver fragrance that contradicts any notion that a fragrance should somehow enhance your appearance; or make others like you more. This is a fragrance that is pure statement: "hey this is how I like to smell". It is modern art in an impressionistic world. It is vetiver with every complimentary note that draws out more of the unpretty elements of vetiver. It is so out there it's great. Think Ward Bond; think Jimmy Cagney: think Clive Owen in "The Croupier". Metrosexual? In your dreams pretty boy.

Izzy's avatar
    Izzy

Black Suede by Avon

This is not good, no need to say more. Stay away from this stuff

LA2000's avatar
    LA2000

Simply Soap by Clean

This one was an impulse purchase, not blind per se as there was a tester, but I purchased within 20 minutes of first sniff. As is my usual protocol, I did a little review checking before plunking down the dough, and in and among the 4 and 5 star Sephora reviews was a one star notation that said something to the effect of "smells like soap and then like something died on you." Thinking this review just glib, misanthropic nonsense, I bought it anyway.

Well, that Sephora reviewer was right.

The fragrance starts off pleasantly enough, a sort of vague, generic green tea and citrus type scent. It doesn't smell like soap, per se, but like the bland fragrance they add to soap to keep it from smelling like "Simply Soap." Nothing unique, but I was searching for the fragrance equivalent to a "cloak of invisibility" and this seemed to fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately, about a 1/2 hour in, the scent begins to transition into a rather dank, unpleasant aquatic. It smells like the water in a dirty fishbowl. Looking at the scent notes, I am guessing this is the 'lotus blossom'. And this "lotus blossom" element is rather tenacious. 12 hours + into application I no longer smell like "Simply Soap" but rather like I just finished cleaning an aquarium. I think this is the "beachy" note to which pookerella references.

Technically this is unisex, as both men and women clean aquariums, and therefore could theoretically smell like this.

Thumbs down. No one buys a scent from a company called "Clean" to smell this way.

Izzy's avatar
    Izzy

Wild Country by Avon

Stay away from this stuff!

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

Bouquet d'Orient by Girard

A spicy and dense oriental that's similar to Opium, but even more old fashioned, like something from the 1950's. Even the packaging is of a vintage style, and really very nice.

All of the foregoing is basically welcome and good, but to my American nose Bouquet d'Orient also has a persistent note of root beer in the background.

Perhaps that note might make this it interesting and different for someone who did not grow up with root beer... but not for me.

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

Rochas Man by Rochas

The opening is strong and strange, and most likely to be appreciated by those who enjoy Joop!, A*Men and Le Male.

Sometimes I get the coffee, sometimes the vanilla, and sometimes the sharp jolt of an industrial-strength air freshener. Something like a cappuchino poured into a box of bounce sheets. And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Several reviewers suggested that this is a good club fragrance, and I suspect they are right. For my part, I am having a hard time imagining myself wearing this to work, or even during the daytime.

Perhaps I will wear it to the Mall and see what happens...

Chrome by Azzaro

Chrome gets a bad rap. I'm guilty to some extend of jumping on the Chrome Hater's bandwagon. But after giving it another go recently, I softened up, and here's why - Azzaro created a conceptual fragrance in Chrome, and they executed it perfectly. It really does smell like clean, polished metal. In fact, the effect is hair-raising in its accuracy, despite all the needless fruit and calone in the periphery. If one was to attempt the same concept in, say, vinyl, and create a scent that captures the dusty smell of old records with the same accuracy, I would be equally intrigued (and I'm sure it's already been done).

On the flip side, the skillfulness of the execution is also Chrome's downfall; whenever I wear this fragrance, I find myself wondering why anyone would want to smell like metal. The aesthetic allure of chrome trim on 1950s Cadillacs doesn't extend to putting my nose up to the bumpers and inhaling deeply. When I'm around attractive women, I don't envision them as robots. I doubt a woman would dream about my already-questionable physique being made of General Motors factory parts, with my cologne spurring the fantasy along. Perhaps I just lack imagination. But I have enough of it to know that Azzaro did the wrong thing right with this fragrance.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Amor Pour Homme by Cacharel

Notes: rose, "purple wood", vetiver
    Ghastly stuff. Sweet, completely generic. I've smelled clones of this dozens of times.
    Obnoxiously synthetic.
    The rose and vetiver are missing in action.
    On the other hand, this is the most ACCURATE rendition of purple wood I've EVER come across. :-(
    "Igor, come to the laboratory and see what I've cooked up today..."
    "Yes, master..."
    An Avon catalogue reject.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

Peppery-citrus, melding into aromatic (herbal-tea) and light wood notes.
    Dry, for a while.
    Not a clone of every sweet/fresh thing on the market.
    However, it dries into a somewhat sweet and screechy note that is quite unpleasant.

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare is one that threw me the few times I wore it. The opening is very "perfumey" to me, and maybe my sniffer is just off, but I swear I get raw alcohol off the top for about three or four seconds. This fragrance confuses me a bit in concept as well - instead of being inspired by actual Tea Roses, Creed is blending green tea with rose. But why?

The rose itself is very green, fresh-smelling, and hyper-realistic. As a man, I find it quite feminine, but because it is so well rendered, the rose never really makes me uncomfortable. The progression from rose to a faded tea and ambergris base, with its slightly salty twang, is nice enough. Before I tried it, Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare was a potential blind buy. I'm glad I didn't do that. This wouldn't get much play in my wardrobe, but I can see it being beautiful on a woman.

Lomani by Lomani

I wrote some articles praising Lomani as an "original" version of Cool Water, under the username karlovonamesti. In retrospect, and with many more wearings, I think I see the error of my ways. While it shares with the Davidoff a similar treatment of lavender and citrus, Lomani is not aquatic, and much different in its general construct. The hesperidic notes are well blended, with the lavender thinly supporting the citrus and juniper. Surprisingly, nothing smells cheap here. The drydown is stark, without a shred of moisture, and comprised of nothing more than naked oakmoss and amber, with emphasis on the moss. Having never tried Drakkar Noir, I can't make a comparison, but I can say that whatever the Laroche smells of must certainly be significantly different from this, or it would never have survived. Lomani is of high enough quality to shake the classic fougère market, but apparently for lack of exposure and image control, never registered on fumeheads' radars beyond a blip. Could they have made the packaging any uglier? I know this is '80s material, but maybe the color scheme could have included, well I don't know - colors!

Lomani is great because it is a dirt cheap Parisian perfume made with real oakmoss and other high quality ingredients, and it has tremendous longevity and sillage. Its fresh, green profile is never going to win a FIFI, but at least it smells good. Right now my bottle is sitting next to my Grey Flannel, and you know something? They look good together.

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

UR for Men by Usher

Another lame fruity fresh scent to round out the first decade of the 2000s. I agree with SirSlarty on the bitter grapefruit opening. Doesn't last, doesn't impress.

In fact, now that I think of it, this smells like Adidas Moves! More chemical and fruity, but there you go.

If you like this, save your money for Adidas Moves instead.

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

I dislike aquatics, not because I dislike the general concept of smelling like cool sea water on flowery tropical air, but because most aquatic fragrances come nowhere close to smelling like that. Insensé Ultramarine, however, manages to come damn close. The salty marine accord that spikes its top and middle notes is boldly pronounced against a dense and palatable mélange of fruit and flowers. A peachy rose, circumspect jasmine, and dewy magnolia/cardamom arrangement fleshes out the core of this perfume, and all are smudged against the sparkling zip of calone and synthetic ambergris in the base. A bit synthetic, and more than a little saccharine, yes, but all within the bounds of the prevailing zeitgeist at the time of Ultramarine's release. This is a '90s fragrance, with all the bells and whistles that came with aromatic scents of that decade. If you know that you're getting a refreshingly sweet floral aquatic for men, you're not going to be disappointed. If you're expecting something that smells "sporty" or metallic, look elsewhere. This is a big, bawdy, blue-dyed French perfume, disguised as a men's scent, and that's reason enough for me to like it.

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

My Queen is a prime example of a powdery purple floral but it has a misfortune
    to fade from my skin it opens with an powdery note of violet it's sort of a reminiscence to kenzo flower but more
    milder and diluted and doesn't cloy
    dries with an nutty fringe of almonds
    heliotrope makes it milky and a bit soft
    but i'm not noticing any orange blossom
    then dark musk dries the middle with an
    animalistic qualities,

the drydown turns powdery again with iris with it's earthy accord in a lot of
    perfumes i don't detect patchouli but
    in My Queen i can smell a good deal
    and doesn't overwhelm me and it ends
    with dry vanilla.

My Queen it's hard to say that it's a
    above average or an average scent it
    advertises as a supreme darkly regal
    scent but to me it's a weak scent
    tries to be unique but it fails so
    i give it a 3.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

Harmatan Noir 11 by Parfumerie Generale

Yet another great fragrance from Parfumerie Generale. Very modern and "trendy". Casual, but also great for a night at the town. Girls will love this one on a man! This aromatic, fresh, herbal spicy fragrance is great for spring and summer, and will fit any age and occasions. The longevity is very good on my skin, and the sillage is ok. One of the most modern and trendy fragrances in my collection. Highly recommended!