Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Kalynne's avatar

Rosa Maya by REN

So far my favorite rose perfume! I love a simple, clean rose scent. It's not too sweet, with a hint of earthiness that compliments my skin. I also love to wear this with natural, earthy scents that have little it no floral notes...bumps up the fem factor. I think the projection is low-med. Lasts softly for 8 hours. I'll need my second bottle soon!

SHAUNO's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I bought this in Helsinki more than a few years ago... I love it. It reminds me of Europe when i smell it.. A Classic in my book.

SHAUNO's avatar

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

I like this one. I own the aftershave of this but i wear it as cologne. Too me this and Terre D Hermes are related. I think its the cedar.. This one seems sweeter than Hermes though...

odysseusm's avatar

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

Citrus mostly, of a synthetic-fresh kind. Vague herbal notes. Kinda fresh.
    Where are the spices? There should be lots, but I don't find any.
    Lemon lifesaver candy with some laundry detergent.
    Simple, shallow, most uninteresting.
    For a quite young crowd, I guess.

Ray of Glamour's avatar

Accenti by Gucci

Created by Florasynth Perfumers; a fresh marine floral-oriental edt with top notes of Indian artemisia, black currant and mandarin, heart notes of rose, jasmine, clove and lily of the valley on base notes of vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, Tonka bean, peach, raspberry and vanilla.
    Presented in a classy square-cut clear bottle, designed by Alain de Mourgues

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

I refrained from commenting on this fragrance before . I originally tried this duty free and it was instant revulsion . it just seemed so 'dirty knickers' at the time. It reminded me of how my weights' gloves smell when I haven't washed them for awhile ! Yikes !
    I just re tested this- the spray version and was surprised that I like it now. It's animalic, dusky, powdery , dirty - ish but wearable. Interesting fragrance to me and one I believe I can now wear .

odysseusm's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

Cantaloupe + celery leaves + laundry detergent = Voyage.
    A voyage I'd never take. Headache-inducing!! :-(

Paradelle's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey Printemps D'Issey by Issey Miyake

This is the same L'eau d'Issey fragrance, but in different packaging to reflect the spring season.

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

2ThumbsUP!! This may be uni but smells MANLY 2 me!!

If you're meeting your girl's parents for the first time don't wear the recent new "metrosexual" fruity scents, show them your intentions are sincere when it comes to their little girl!

Wear a manly OLD SCHOOL scent like AGUA LAVANDA!!

TheGodfather's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

My go to scent. Very unique.

Weimar27's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Opens with dry earth with the presence
    not listed in the notes is galbanum with it's leafy greenish scent then dries with
    Cardamom a spicy ginger extract and if you
    don't even notice i can even pick up a scent of oregano dry and delectable then
    the fiery scent of Coriander starts steeping through making this scent like
    a lush spice garden in late spring afternoon then pure yellow ginger spices
    dries to an powdery finish.

I would love this scent if it didn't have that nauseating green note opening
    but this scent would be promising with
    out it.

jcastano's avatar

Clean Shower Fresh for Men by Clean

I purchased this blindly expecting a scent similar to Mugler Cologne or Prada Infusion D'homme but this was not the case at all! All this truly smells like is lemon/lime dryer sheets. The top notes to this are incredible though! You get a blast of clean citrus, mostly lemon, and that lingers throughout the scent life. I don't get much of the nutmeg or anything else in the middle notes except the spearmint. It's very subtle, almost faint, but it meshes well with the lemon, black tea, and cedarwood. Normally, cedar is too heavy for my nose but this isn't too strong and the black tea really makes this light and very wearable. It's almost like a sweet cup of black tea with lemon,lime, poured on cedar. Now imagine that scent on a dryer sheet and there you have it. It's a very pleasant smell but I give it a neutral because the longevity and sillage are below average. I got 4 hours tops and within the second hour, this stuff stays ridiculously close to the skin. Clean Men set out for a fragrance with the idea of "shower fresh" but I don't see that in here. It is clean though, very clean, but not shower fresh, and it lacks terribly on staying power. Final Rating B-

jcastano's avatar

Candie's Men by Candie's

When I first tried this, all I smelled was unscented baby wipes. I tried it a few more times after that and I actually picked up on the grapefruit, watermelon, and basil in the opening with a green, fruity, light woodsy and light musky drydown. It's not as sweet as some reviews say. It's actually quite light and a bit powdery. I think of it along the lines of D&G Light Blue but without the lemon and citrus. Instead, the watermelon replaces the lemon and the only citrus note is the grapefruit. Think of a lightly fruity, green, baby powder wipe or baby powder in general. It's a decent scent but nothing special and definitely not for anyone over the age of 25. Sillage and longevity are excellent as well but the reason I give this a neutral is because it's just the same scent over and over again. So much that it becomes too boring and bland after a few wearings. Trust me, it's nice and safe, but you will get bored of it, and fast! Final Rating B-

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I hate it. It smells like herbs.
    I really can't believe that this is a popular scent...

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I really love this, whenever I wear this scent, I receive a lot of compliments.
    Stays the whole day.

Black XS for Her by Paco Rabanne

This is a lovely scent, a bit heavy, very good in wintertime.
    Stays the whole day too.
    This is a complete scent, don't have the feeling that there is something missing in it.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

First impression is good, but then the scent begins to smell like soap.
    Nice try, but not good enough.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

I really love the scent of this perfume! Sophisticated, original, feminine, classy,...
    Unfortunately it fades away very quickly on my skin.
    Too bad...

nonnative's avatar

Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane

A friend introduced Eau d'Iparie to me. On her skin it was magnificent and sofisticated. Then today I tried it on myself. First sniff: rose. Second sniff: myrr. Later: just a sweet sweet honey without any personality and most of all withou class. Not a hint of incence. Its a pity ... I liked it so much on my friend. This scent is a clear evidence of how important is to try perfumes on the skin!

nonnative's avatar

Labdanum by L'Occitane

Unfortunately on me l'occitane frags are not good. After a while they all evolve into a sweet soapy caramel. Unfortunately because the opening of this Labdanum was so good, spicy and original.

Fath Pour l'Homme by Jacques Fath

Fath PH is a slightly puffy vanilla amber fragrance with a touch of cinnamon powder.
    It is quite sweet but rounds up to something more flowery that makes it quite elegant in deed.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Whoa! Is that some bodily odor that I'm smelling here?

Relax. While I agree with descriptions comparing it to burnt maple syrup or leftover curry I must point out that these negative reactions are likely to occur within the first 30 minutes after heavy applications or with the nose close to the skin. I say give it time, some breathing space and you might be surprised to see how this transforms into something that's comfortingly familiar yet at the same time disconcertingly different. On my skin after 2 hours, it turns into a lightly spiced lavender-vanilla accord reminiscent of Caron pour un Homme, albeit with a sheer veil of immortelle's maple syrupy presence.

I honestly did a 180 on this one. Depending on your experience and sensitivities, EAU NOIRE could either be a simple immortelle-inspired scent or a nuanced, intriguing piece from Kurkdjian. I'm inclined to think of the latter. It may be challenging to wear but for immortelle afficionados, it is a 'must-try'.

ladymorrigan's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Asp Viper by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

i do like this one, but it fades too soon! i dont know if this needs some age to get richer?
    its very lovely though

Apparition Homme Intense by Ungaro

I cannot compare this to the original since I haven't tried it but to me this one is a cross between Ungaro III and Chic by Carolina Herrera which I both love. A dark and fruity scent that exudes character.

Scentdawg's avatar

Memoir Man by Amouage

Memoir Man starts with a sharp Absinth/mint start that fades quickly on my skin. These green topnote is nowhere as sharp as the Absinth note found in A taste of Heaven by Killian which to my nose smells like freshly cut grass with scallions. I don't really care for the scallions smell so that it's missing in Memoir is a good thing in my book. I think that Memoir is better formulated and has a better transition into a soft leather accord that I could compare to that found in a brand new car such as a Ferrari. I still get small whiffs of Absinth and leather for quite a while after application. However, I do not get much of the woods and tobacco from this scent. So to me, this fragrance is like riding a sports car through a grass field and smelling the fresh cut grass and the expensive leather interior of the car.
    This fragrance has little sillage. It stays close the body on me. It's smooth, elegant, and soothing. Longivity could vary depending on skin type so I will not go into that. However, if money is problem, I am sure you could get something out there much cheaper but not quite as refined. Is it bottle worthy? I am still trying not sure. Just like all Amouage fragrances, it does not come cheap. This would be the only drawback to this fragrance. For those on a budget, like me, it's difficult to pay this kind of money unless it would be a signature scent which for me it will not be. However, I will not allow my economics affect my taste. So, I will recommend this scent. I think at the least it should be a must try.
    After 6hrs of application, I left with a soft Leather accord. The more I smelled this fragrance, the soft leather accord reminds me of Daim Blond by Serge Lutens.

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

How could someone bash the daddy of gourmand frags?!
    The cedar/nutmeg/tobacco/patchouli mixture makes it quite spicy and masculine.
    A very affortable chocolate scent that lasts an impressive amount of time.
    It's time to upgrade your bottle of Axe Dark Temptation with a real scent!

Carven Homme by Carven

THUMBS WAY UP!
    I LOVE THIS ONE!
    As everybody else as mentioned, it bares some resemblance to Gucci Envy or even to Ted by Ted Lapidus for that matter. After sniffing it for a while you really start to discover it and appreciate it for its own true self. Picture a base of Corduroy (Zirh) mixed in with Envy.
    If you ever find some, please don't buy it!

pimiento's avatar

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

It's fine, but why buy this when you could buy A*Men? They're very similar and where they differ, I always seem to prefer A*Men. Also, the 'cannabis' tag on the name is just to grab your attention as far as i can smell.

ricklee's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I bought this blind based on a lot of positive reviews. I sprayed it in my car and thought immediately: What The Hell is this Crap? I was disappointed and felt this is the fragrance of an old man who sells bug spray at a flea market.

The next day I tried it again and felt it was not so bad this time.

The third day, I started to discover the attractive nuances of wood and grass. That would be the middle notes of cedar and vetiver.

The fourth day, I noticed the undercurrent of spicy cigar smoke. That would be the base notes tobacco and pepper note.

The fifth day, I noticed the early scent of citrus and indian spice. That would be the top note of lemon and coriander.

The sixth day, I sprayed this ten times on a rag and kept it in the laundry tub. When I entered the house, I was hooked on the smell. Guerlain seems to be an old style that took a long time for me to understand.

I am glad it took me only a week to appreciate and respect how good and unique in the fragrance world this Vetiver scent is. It did not change, I did. I gave it to my seventy-three year old father and he liked it immediately.

jabi's avatar

Jordan Jordan

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

it's really good if you're into spicy fragrances.excellent longevity. and it's great for the winter. smells A LOT like Kenzo jungle though, which is an awesome fragrance too.