Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Parfum Privé by La Perla

Similar to Paloma Picasso and other rose chypre scents ,Parfum Prive opens with a very soft orange scent as if a orange had recently been peeled nearby.Next the chypreness comes out and mixes with a beautiful rose that gradually takes the center stage.This reminds me a bit of Coriander or Rose Cardin too.
    Parfum Prive is quite a bit lighter/softer than Paloma,Knowing,and Diva .Consider her to be thier shyer more feminine younger sister.I quite like it.Considering it's discontinued status(a crime!)I plan on buying up a few backup bottles (or ten)?

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro

This is a sweeter take of original Azzaro Pour Homme. For romantic occasions, evening, clubbing. If you own original Azzaro then I don't think it's worth to own this one as well.
    I was expecting much more, yet I can't say I'm dissapointed, BUT I can't rate it positively, I just can't. There is nothing original about this scent.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I find this Frgrance way too strong. It lasts for what seems eternity and whenever I have worn it I could not wait to get under the Shower. Fair play if people like it but its too full on for me and for that I will pass.

Rating: 3/10

1881 Amber by Cerruti

I like this Amber version more than the Original. Its smells Sweet and that why I like this one as the Cedar really does the job. Longevity is poor, you are lucky if you get more than 2 Hours with this one, but its still worth a try. Possibly get a small Bottle.

Rating: 5/10

shamu1's avatar

L'Arte di Gucci by Gucci

It's truly a shame that Gucci discontinued this beauty. Fans of dark rosy chypres, particularly those in the mossy 1980s style, will likely go nuts over L'Arte di Gucci, .

If you've ever smelled Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, you'll have a pretty good idea of what this smells like, and in fact this could have passed as a "Pour Femme" version of that masterpiece. It starts off rather sharply but soon mellows out into something very brooding and mysterious. It blends its rose and moss notes seamlessly, and together they project a very melancholy, almost grim, aura around you. L'Arte di Gucci definitely has austere attitude in spades, exuding an overall dark mood like few other fragrances I've ever smelled.

This is Gucci's best fragrance, and a masterpiece for sure.

MY RATING: 9/10

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2010)

shamu1's avatar

Stetson Black by Stetson

I liked this when I first sampled it on my wrist about a year ago, but actually wearing this is a completely different story. I really wanted to like Stetson Black because it's got a lot of notes I like, but this just continues my ongoing hatred of so-called "Black" fragrances.

Like every other "Black" fragrance I've smelled, Stetson Black is not dark smelling, but rather syrupy sweet and nauseating. It smells pretty good and quite aromatic for the first 15 minutes, but after that, the smell of grape juice just gets stronger and stronger the longer you wear this. Its sweetness is unrelenting, and by hour three I was running to the bathroom with a facecloth, scrubbing vigorously. I had to take a shower a few hours later to get the smell off of me.

I can't say that Stetson Black smells cheap or poorly constructed. It's just a terrible fragrance, that's all.

MY RATING: 2/10

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I love this Scent, its my favourite by miles. As soon as I put this on I feel amazing and special. This Scent to me works well on so many levels. The Citrus blast is strong yet it works and doesn't come across as vulgar or overdone, there are notes in this that are not on the list or maybe its just my nose. A while later the Green Tea takes effect, abit like Earl Grey i feel, then we round of with the Cedar and thats what gives this Fragrance the Sexiness it deserves. Sillage is awesome, it stays on Projects far and wide, I would say minimum 10 hours with this one, max 12. Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme is a compliment getter and is a must have. Some say Summer, some say Winter, I say all day every day.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2010)

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

A fabulous classic fragrance and I would give it a huge thumbs up, but it's terribly outdated. Outside of a few perfume connoisseurs, I doubt anybody would wear or buy this. It feels so out of place or time. I'm guessing it's the reason why it's now discontinued. If I smelt this on somebody, I'd think they were just transported by a time machine from the 1890's.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2010)

Lust / Luxuria by S-Perfume

This was a limited edition scent by S-Perfume as part of their 7 Sins collection. It's no longer in production and nearly impossible to find now.

I would describe it as a very earthy dirt patchouli scent. Just think of dark dry soil with a garbage tinge to it. Lust comes really close to Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens, but without the cocoa note and a much dirty and earthier patchouli. The Lust also is much darker, thicker, and with rougher edges.

Not the easiest fragrance to wear and it comes off a bit like a gag gift/novelty scent, but it's also brilliant and very interesting.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2010)

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Do not judge Polo by its first fifteen minutes ... this is a very strong and powerful fragrance. His personality is such that ingredients in the output burst a little messy. Then things calm down and its medium notes and base notes are both pleasant, clean, deep and masculine. The drydown is great, you feel sure of yourself and you get more compliments than you imagine.
    Two spritzs are enough, Polo is very generous, you should not overapply it.
    A classic that never fails. Fabulous

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st January, 2011)

jasonsicilia's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Start off by saying that the first time you may try this fragrance it may go on a little strong and heavy but give it time. It drys down to best fragrance that I ever .. ever.. tried. It begins out with a woody, bergmont, cinnamon blast at first. Within 20 minutes it turns into a smooth lavender woody finish, along with a little powdery sweetness to it. I highly recommend it . It last about 8-10 hrs which is amazing . I am 32 years old and I have used other CREEDS along the years but this is such a relaxing scent that i wear it almost everyday during fall and winter. However it is more of a winter fragrance , I also use it in the summer for more dressy events. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.Although not for young ones under 30 I would say.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2011)

SirScent's avatar

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

I'm glad my first review on Davidoff Adventure wasn't published. It was a bit premature.
    After wearing this a few times I can understand why it has it's following. However, for the price and for what it projects I think there are much better fragrances out there.
    On my skin it seems very generic and lacking personality. I don't find it objectionable at all. I just find it average. I get light spice, very very light citrus and then it's gone under 2 hours. It is unmemorable which is a problem for me. Not so much an Adventure...more of a Tip Toe.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

Nightflight by Joop!

Nightflight is Joop!'s take on Cool Water, basically. Or the "fresh fougere". Or any Cool Water-esque fragrance.

And man, do I HATE Cool Water. However, this has a lot more character than Cool Water, and it certainly is sweeter and fruitier, as reviewers before have stated.

Did I mention Cool Water enough already?

I'm not saying it smells EXACTLY like Cool Water, but yes, it smells like it. Fruitier and sweeter, though, with prominent florals and Sandalwood in the drydown. Funny thing is, this features notes of Coriander, Cumin, and Pineapple, which are all among my least favorite notes (Cumin and Coriander being my least favorite notes of all), and yet this works well on my skin. Enjoyable, however the first 10 minutes or so smells a bit like wet dog/someone soaked in rain, which can be unpleasant.

Good longevity, whopper sillage (it's strong), so 4 sprays max. One of the best 90's sleepers that I have tried, and while discontinued, this can still be found for cheap. Awesome-looking bottle, too.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2011)

NewHaarlem's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

This lasts 8+ hours on my skin in the cold weather. Beautifully blended fresh citrus, warm amber, woods, and a little bit of leather -- a unique, masculine fragrance.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2011)

Homage Attar by Amouage

Homage Attar opens up with some tarty citrus notes, soft florals from the rose taifi and jasemine, all balanced with shimmer silver frankincense and oud. The florals and rose in this is a bit soapy, not the sweet variant. I've smelt something similar to this, but can't place it. Some say it resembles Joy by Jean Patou, but I wouldn't know, because I've never smelt it. Homage Attar is a very robust, full-bodied, beautiful scent. Most perfumes I find opulent are too formal smelling for everyday use or reserved for formal occasions. The beauty of Homage is how opulent it smells, yet you can wear it casually as an everyday scent. A scent that can make you feel like a King or Queen every day, even if you're not.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2011)

yoyo's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage is the best citrus scent I've tried. Smells very similar to Eau d'Orange Concentree. With added vetiver note to it, which gives Eau Sauvage a more masculine and clean feel. The jasmine smell also reminds me of jasmine tea usually fund in Asia. The mint is also very noticeable in Eau Sauvage. I can't wait for the summer to wear it!

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2011)

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This is one of my favourite EDT Scents in my collection. It starts off with a Bang and lets you know its there. I can feel the Smokey Woody vibe early on with this, the leather stamp on it is strengthened later on. Some say it has a Whiskey or Scotch smell to it, I would agree with that view, possibly Irish Whiskey. The smell of Candy also takes shape from the Bottle and thats not a bad thing. The Name is cool because it is unique and I like unique. The Bottle looks great to look at, its in the top Five Bottles to look in my collection. Sillage is good with Projection excellent. It lasts easily up to 10 Hours on a Winter Day and is good in the Cold Weather. Women comliment me on this Scent on Trains and in shops and they cannot quite say what it smells like. Get this Sent 'NOW.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2011)

Halston Z-14 by Halston

You will either Love or Hate this Fragrance. I bought this very Cheap years ago and initially I never wore it due to having others that were similiar. However I am trying all my fragrances and I'm going to give a fair assessment to it. Z-14 goes well in winter as it has a kick that works with the Cold season. It starts off with a Lemon zest feel that quickly goes and then the Cinnamon takes over and seems to dominate for half an hour or so. The Leather and Moss finish it of with the Leather feel totally dominating the fragrance a it disapears into the mist.
    Sillage is patchy, Projection is average with me getting 4-5 Hours with this.
    Worth trying as a 5 m or 30ml Bottle. Not the worst smell out there, it has style at least and that why its worth a try.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

Superb arid and severe churchy scent, contemplative and spiritual, the dead fragrance, as said. An orthodox isolated, sinister, woody cathedral comes to mind as well as a burnt woody shack somewhere abandoned in the desolate steppe. The aroma provides whiffs of burnt woods, resin of cypress and pine, frankincense, oakmoss, leather, rubber, spices and aoud.  The opening is cool aromatic, spicy, leathery and balsamic. It reminds to me a bit the green Polo (but most of all Jacomo de Jacomo which is more rubbery, classic herbal in structure and less incensey) and is a bit mentholated because of the forest resins and due to a touch of eucalyptol. This status turns soon out in to something less urban, decidedly decadent, holy, not easily wearable and gothic. Any trace of flowers, vanilla or tasty elements around. The juice is balsamic, dark, tarry, dusty, earthy and acrid. I detect some touch of bilberry in the dry down lingering as a ghost and carring a tad of fruity appeal as gift. The aromatic woodsy feel lasts throughout the trip. This is an assertive, sombre and shadowy fragrance, the vision of an high, appalling Transylvanian old castle in a cold, windy and cloudy late afternoon. Sometimes i layer it with another masterpiece, the sumptuous Patchouli Noir by Il Profumo, the outcome is a decadent, otherworldly, aristocratic, holy blend.

02 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2014)

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer by Issey Miyake

Lovely Smell. I see this as all year round rather than Summer. This Fragrance produces amazing results in the Winter when itss Frosty. I Love Fruits in my Fragrances and this one has Grapefruit which I Love. A Graet smell and its in my Top 5 ever.

Projects great and lasts ages, definately 9-12 hours on me.

Rating: 9/10

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

There are numerous Bay Rum Incarnations around, I however went for a Pinaud creation as they have a touch of class. Yes I agree that the Cloves take over this Fragrance, but it has a kick that I love that interacts with these Cold Winter Days and Nights. It last on me up to 6 hours and Projects very well. You can buy this for £9.00 if you know where to look. Well worth getting and a little treasure.

Rating: 7/10

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

The vetiver theme in this is really interesting. It's sort of damp, cold and dark. It reminds me of the old formulation of Route de Vetiver by MPG. Unfortunately, the rest of the notes clash together and the scent comes off smelling horrible. Something went really wrong with this scent. Probably the worst scent Andy Tauer has produced.

Indie_Guy's avatar

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

Cinnamon toast with no butter, no sugar.

Somewhat gourmand, though a bit dry and stark in places. Retro. A melange of Ambre Sultan, A*men, and Rive Gauche with the much of the sweetness replaced with bitterness. Not a bad thing, in fact I like this one quite a bit. My nose detects isobutylquinoline in the black leather accord and it often tends to suck the calories out of most compositions. The bitter nature of the orange increases this dryness. It tends to smell like the point of equidistance between a lot of different popular fragrances.

A kind of patchouli halfway-house.

rds87's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre D'Hermes lives alone. At 5:30 each morning, he wakes up (without an alarm), fastens his robe, and walks barefoot across the hardwood floor to pick up the paper on his front porch. Before coming inside, he sweeps the dead leaves off the steps and shakes out the doormat. He coughs. Once inside, he walks into the dark kitchen, reaches into a cabinet and pulls out a canister of instant espresso. He fills a kettle with cold water from the faucet and sets it on the stove. While waiting for it to boil, he toasts two slices of rye bread until they are blackened, then scrapes a thin layer of orange marmalade on the surface. He bites into one corner and chews several times, then swallows. He prepares his cup of coffee—black—stirring it with a metal spoon. He takes out a hard-boiled egg from the fridge and coats it with stale black pepper (even though his favorite part is the chalky yolk). At the table, he opens the newspaper and reads the business section, chewing on the toast. He turns to the op-ed column, then the obituaries. After he is finished eating, he wipes the crumbs from the table and takes a cold shower. He gets dressed, carefully buttoning his shirt in the mirror. He puts on his tweed jacket and adjusts his tie. He lifts his left elbow and accidentally knocks over the potpourri bowl on his dresser. He spends several minutes carefully picking up the pieces, one by one, off of the rug and sets them back into the bowl. After combing his hair, he puts on his hat, switches off the lights, and walks out the door.

He drives 37 miles into downtown and parks on the street. He walks into the barbershop and asks for the usual straight-razor wet shave. He enjoys such shaves—the prickly feel of the badger hair brush on his cheek, the aroma of musky after-shave. He pays and leaves. After driving another several miles, he pulls into the parking lot behind the store and opens the front door with his key. He hangs up his coat and flips over the “closed” sign to “open,” then sits down in his chair behind the register. Business is slow, even for a used bookstore. A customer comes in and asks about a particular biography he does not have. Over the next six hours he chats with customers. People think he is intelligent and kind. An older woman asks him about his accent. After closing time, he drives home, changing radio stations occasionally. He is very alert at nighttime—vigilant, almost. He brushes his teeth even though he hates brushing his teeth. He goes to bed and stares out the window into the dark. He thinks about something, then he sleeps.

SirSlarty's avatar

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

Opens a little sweet and leathery. Dries down very woodsy and earthy. Lasts as long as an 8 hour work day under my shirt. Much better than the other Ferrari scents I've tried so far.

SirSlarty's avatar

Chaps Weekend Men by Chaps [Ralph Lauren]

A long lasting, powdery woods. Great daytime wear for any time. Office/work/school/court date/dentist appointment.

kingkutty's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

The dry down reminds me of regular Faultless spray starch. Not exactly a bad scent but I cant see wearing this on my skin.

colognewhore's avatar

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

I got a sample of this, and when I sprayed it, I had to check the vial and make sure it didn't say "Gravity", because that is exactly what it smelled like - bleh! I left the room for a few minutes, and when I walked back in, I still smelled Gravity, so I threw it in the garbage.

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

I didn’t realize when I ordered the sample that this had a dominant violet in its structure. Had I known, I would have avoided reviewing this and saved my $3 for a sample. The violet note fooled me for a while… I didn‘t quite recognize it as violet, but I did recognize that I didn’t like it. At least I hadn’t the urge to wash it off immediately – that urge came after fifteen minutes. I get a smokiness to the opening along with its violet, but I’m not sure if it’s my dislike of the violet or my distaste for the combination leaves me cold. The heart notes are floral with jasmine predominating – it’s also an adequate accord but nothing special. I find the drydown rather unique at first with its smoky cedar /amber ambiance, but even that doesn’t hold my interest for very long. In all, I just can’t find anything to enjoy in Gucci by Gucci, which is unusual for me because I tend to enjoy most of Gucci’s fragrances, shallow though several of them are.

Originally submitted November 2009

Envy by Gucci

Very, very nice—Envy is an excellent green / fresh fragrance. The fruits of the opening are kept at a tasteful minimum, signifying that this will not be one of the many sweet fruity floral fragrances that can be found almost everywhere. This fragrance takes its own path. The florals, too, are restrained and subtle, and they, along with the iris from the base form a wonderfully neutral accord that I don’t know how to describe. It reminds me of the papyrus notes of some fragrances—or a premium bond paper or perhaps a dryer sheet that’s very high-end, if you can imagine such a thing. This deluxe neutral note serves as a platform for displaying the richness and depth of the muted fruit in the top and the discreet woods and musk in the base. This carries the inventive “transparent” floral accord of L’Eau d’Issey one step further by further neutralizing individual notes in order to gain these beautifully compelling translucent combination accords. The whole neutral floral / paper thing is very successfully accomplished in Envy, because it results in a progression that is both elegant and casual at the same time. Sophistication and ease in one and the same traditionally structured progression. Possible synthetics aside, I believe Envy was ground breaking when it was introduced, and it has remained a wonderful and special feminine fragrance.
    Originally submitted 24 May 2007