Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

jabi's avatar

Jordan Jordan

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

it's really good if you're into spicy fragrances.excellent longevity. and it's great for the winter. smells A LOT like Kenzo jungle though, which is an awesome fragrance too.

thething2's avatar

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

The worst Parfüm i ever Smell( sorry for my terrible english). Shame on you Hugo Boss

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I like Vera Wang for Men - a lot of people seem to not like this.

I think it's a great woody men's fragrance. The sandalwood, tobacco, leather and nutmeg combination is wonderful! I think it smells different and should get more respect than it deserves, but to each his own. I find this fragrance to be a bit more subtle than ones of its type but it still lasts a while on me. It has a bit of a tangy zing! to it.

I have to watch how much I wear and when I wear it, though, because this juice can be headache inducing at times. Perhaps that's what turns some people off.

GRIM's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

You're not sure if you would like vetiver scents or think that you may be too young to wear that kind of scent? You're tired of the typical aquatic or fruity frags and may be interested in trying out something slightly dirtier?
    Polo Explorer is at the crossroad of all these genres. I guess the name Explorer is just like the scent: an invitation to try something different. At the same time, aren't real Explorers supposed to be more daring? Not screaming love because of its ambiguous nature which makes it a little generic by trying not to offend anyone (or please too much?), I can on the other hand agree that it's is easily likeable.

20th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2010)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Café-Café Men by Cofinluxe

This is a very pleasant fragrance that opens very citric (mixed with aldehydes)that lasts a very short time, then I detect some fleeting vetiver (instead of lavander), that it is not in the list of notes. And after a very short notice it goes directly into a mossy, musky drydown that is also very shortlived.
    For the price I paid, I can not complain. All and all, it is kinda weak and shortlived, but it beats any aquatic by a mile, more pleasant that any of them and lasts as long as they do. So another weak thumbs up .

20th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2010)

catnip_too's avatar

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Portrait of a Lady opens with a burst of spices which tickle the nose pleasantly. The rose arrives amidst the spices, and it is surprisingly bright (brighter than I thought it would be). In fact, it strongly reminded me of my experience with Bulgarian rose. The rose asserts itself as a constant presence. The berries, slightly sweet, appear soon as well and are, actually, quite prominent in this initial stage. On my own skin, the incense makes a strong statement though it is softened by delicate musk notes.

Overall, this is a softer, fruitier, and sweeter fragrance than I imagined. I can see how it could be perceived as baroque; yet, it feels completely modern. It is warm and spicy, with the rose still prominent in the dry-down. I think it will please rose and incense lovers, but it might disappoint those who have expected the level of maturity and sophistication that the rose in Amouage Lyric Woman, for example, emanates. Portrait could work well as an everyday choice, and it seems it is better suited for the colder days. I like it well enough, but I will stick to JO's Ta'if for a gently-spiced rose for now.

Longevity of Portrait of a Lady is excellent! Sillage is moderate on me.

20th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2010)

Indie_Guy's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Body Kouros meets Mat; Very Male. Expect the compliments to be Good n' Plenty.

Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

Other reviewers that noted Ténéré as more of a fougère are correct in their assessments - this, to me, is a spicy fougère powerhouse that can roll with the big boys and be just as sexy and classy. I get just a slight urinous note in the beginning, but otherwise this is a big spicy patchouli-moss fougère sweetened by honey. Yes, there are some florals in the drydown. Holy moley, I think I smell some leather too! This is a bit like Boss Number One, actually, however more similar to the vintage formulation of Boss Number One. Of course, Ténéré is a projection ace and lasts for a while. A wonderful sexy powerhouse that unfortunately has met an untimely demise - and what a cool bottle! Such a smooth drydown......

EDIT: A second wearing has brought me to the conclusion that the top and middle IS very floral, now that I can decipher a bit better. Still a wonderful spicy floral fougère!

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

Opens with citrus.
    Sweet, smooth, powerful.
    Inoffensive, with a clear-clean character.
    No particular or distinctive features. Neither good nor bad.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Neutral shading into positive.
    This isn't bad. Just a little too sweet for my taste, but otherwise acceptable.
    Leafy-herbal notes and a touch of wood.
    Smooth, pleasant. Not synthetic.
    A little too smooth, and a little too sweet to suit me -- but many would enjoy it.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Very very sweet and cloying.
    Synthetic, obnoxious. Cheap spices, nasty faux oudh scent.
    Avoid this -- it will give nightmares.

cformosa4's avatar

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

<bold> I find this fragrance to be quite simple, synthetic and dated. The top is nice, but only lasts for about 10-20 minutes. It is a citrusy, herbal smell that drys down to some civet and synthetic floral notes that I cannot pin point. The base is sandalwood which is not at all strong enough.

It is dated for late 70's, early 80's. Has that generic old man discount aftershave smell</bold>

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain

Guerlain Philtre d'Amour seems like a modern classic. It`s one that shows how Guerlain master the chypre family wisdomly. Philtre d`Amour is an exercise of balance between the citrus aromas and the chypre base. The interaction of both produces a fresh, crispy aroma surrounded by mossy notes that seems to shine on a soft light. The flowers of the heart are not always evident, but sometimes you get a dose of green, citric and white flowers. I`ll miss a lot this one once my edt finishes. Have tried both edt and edp, and i think that they're very similar.

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

My initial infatuation and the camaraderie between this rather dirty (not in the "good' sense as is the case with Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan) fragrance and I has worn off like the factory newness of a now old and sweaty peppered pair of raspberry Chucks.

eteled's avatar

Norway Norway

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Great fragrance. The smell is amazing all the way from the top notes to the base notes. THe longevity is great for me too. About 8-10 hours

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

Caught a whiff of this on a Goth Marc Jacobs counter girl and had to ask, "What's that?!" As sultry as this intoxicating oriental smelled on her is as "inviting smoky casbah" as it does on me. Either way, this is one helluva transforming, transporting and transcendent scent. Play it again, Sam.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This stuff makes women wonder. What else do you need to know?

Antaeus by Chanel

This is a tough one to sport in Miami. However, if the weather is cool, and I'm feelin' a little on the muscle, this one certainly serves the purpose. Classy, powerful, "Here I Am." Under 35? Probably want to opt for Allure.

Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine

Only a once in a while selection of mine, I like to join it (on the few cold nights here in MIA) with something pink and Cuir de Rissie. Makes me feel like a Cossack gallivanting around in rose and thick leather amid the palms! A very well put together fragrance...with or without adding a "bi-polarizing" Siberian touch.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Broke my cardinal rule and bought this blind. Pleasing enough, but ordinary. Can't touch Mania. I'm no Armani fan, so enough said. Fer sure gotta trade this for a refill of the aforementioned can't miss Mania...the ONLY Armani I am at all fond of.

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

The original was my standard throughout the 70's and 80's. And I wore it proudly. This take steps it up a notch, while maintaining the piney essence of its iconic template. I will always love this definitive forest-like scent, but I must admit I bought this out of curiosity and nostalgia as I feel I have lost touch, for better or worse, with its pipe and cashmir sweater nature. Nonetheless, I don't believe Lauren has ever matched with any of his other (colored) offerings the staunch presence of the original "green"...except perhaps with his Modern Reserve.

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

A wonderful clean synthetic musk with a bit of sweetness to it. Lasts longer than most musks that I've tried. Smells even better on clothing! Can be had for a great price and there's also a great matching shower gel and after shave balm and to top it all off, the bottle is cool!

Odile's avatar

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Repulsed upon first encounter, I have nevertheless maintained a strange flirtation with Youth Dew over the years that has finally morphed into something resembling fascination and respect. Sometimes my feelings border on like, certainly not love, but at least no longer utter revulsion. I remember sniffing the bottle at an Estee Lauder counter very early on in my first experimentations with fragrance. It hit me wrong in every way imaginable – the old-fashioned design of the bottle, the weird and borderline offensive name, the dank darkness of the juice and the far-too-complex –for- a- teenager’s- appreciation odor were just too much. As a young girl I simply thought the vile juice was marketed to little old ladies who actually must want to smell like little old ladies. I lacked the imagination or the grace to conjure up a time in history when this must have smelled new & exciting, possibly even *sexy*? Then, (and still now to varying degrees), the complete package of impressions fills me with an unexplainable sadness, the way that vintage trinkets in an antique store or old lace stained brown by the passage of time makes me sad. Ghosts of another time. Upon my first several encounters I personified Youth Dew as Miss Havisham - with her dead flowers and mouldering cake and tattered wedding dress - desperately clinging to something long gone that will never be again. A tragic spinster of a perfume.

And yet. . . and yet I can’t seem to leave well enough alone. I revisit and retry. I followed every board’s recommendation and got the bath oil and it indeed has a unique beauty all its own. It has grown on me, needled at me. I am nearly addicted to the cola-like notes and sometimes greedily inhale from my bottle, but I am rarely able to wear it and enjoy it without a hefty dose of self-consciousness and a modicum of regret. This smells anachronistic on me in a way that other, far older classics don’t strike me such as Shalimar, Mitsouko, or Habanita. It feels at odds with my personality & sense of self. This strikes me as far older than something introduced in the 1950s, closer in feel to ancient ceremonial spices. Despite my ambivalence however, I somehow find myself with a large collection of YD products including the EDP, bath oil, dusting powder and soap. Something about it intrigues me. As mentioned, the bath oil is the way to go – you can dab in nice discrete amounts – the sillage is soft but goes on forever. If you love this fragrance you are lucky indeed as it’s one of the best bargains around.

I can’t deny the comparisons to Opium & the similarities, however in my mind they are yin and yang to one another – Opium is smoldering heat and YD is coolly chaste. The “sex” in Opium is hot and passionate - tantric. In YD, it’s more like sexuality that has been suppressed, denied. Like unsullied, sad-eyed convent dwellers covering up their natural, female smells with the more “innocent” scents of powder and soap. Something about it unnerves me – a primal dark sensuality lurking below an artificial virtuousness.

This is not to say I don’t like it as a perfume, it just that it seems to invoke a melancholy that while sometimes can be solemnly lovely, is more often a mood killer. Somehow the vibrancy and animalic heat in Opium make it feel more contemporary, easier to spend the day with. I do hope my relationship with YD continues to evolve & predict that the bath oil will always be a part of my collection. Though I don’t enjoy wearing it often, I concede that it is an extraordinary scent, and sometimes a guilty pleasure I wear for myself when I’m by myself and don’t have to worry about the statement it makes.

Purple Water by Asprey

This unexpected find has proven my most pleasant olfactory surprise! I admittedly had never heard of the Asprey name, but one sniff of this wonderful soft and powdery citrus gem and I was hooked. Of all the fragrances I own, or have sampled, no fragrance better interweaves and melds with the balmy atmosphere of Miami. Layer it with Acqua di Parma Colonia and...it's magical. In my eyes (and nose), this fragrance truly is the sleeper of all sleepers. Just lay back and enjoy. A lemon sunshine-scented TWO THUMBS UP!

ricklee's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I bought a bottle after enjoying a spray from a tester at a retail counter. However, the bottle I brought home did NOT smell like the tester. It was weak, empty, missing some depth. I returned the bottle to Holt Renfrew and after demonstrating the deficiency in the bottle I was able to exchange it for another one - but it took a lot of convincing!

Anyways, I use Green Irish Tweed a few times a week. It is a beautiful, woodsy, comforting, sweet aroma that I find refreshing. However, it disappears so quickly that after about three hours it vanishes.

Aventus by Creed

While it lasts, the hype is well-worth it. Price vs. longevity ratio, however, is rather low. Wear it though and you will be noticed/tagged with value. And, if I am not mistaken, that's what it's all about. Isn't it?

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Man. Man. Man. That's what you are when you wear this. A man...with more than a little bit of danger and intrigue about him. Like nothing else. If out-of-the-ordinary is your thing, this is your Austin Martin. And be prepared for the accorded interest.

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

Just ridiculous! This may sound insane, but this masterpiece is almost TOO nice to wear. Each time I go to put it on it's like "No, no ,no you're wasting it! Save it for better time," as it is hard to find. (What fiend discontinued this?!) But what better time than now? All I can say is this: You will NEVER find a more perfect men's fragrance! If you can find this jewel, buy it. And wear it when you wanna knock 'em dead. Priceless. Period! (As a side note: This layered with Bond no. 9 Fire Island tones down its sheer elegance to a more multi-situational suitability.) Wish I had two more hands so I could give this four thumbs up! Even Rick James, may he RIP, I think would agree!

awesomeness's avatar

Oro by Paulina Rubio

Oro is a bright, semi-sweet vanilla that opens with a citrus blast but has a peppery, floral heart. The coffee/expresso is not dominant. Oro doesn't have a strong base & it's not deep. Regardless, I think a guy could pull this off too. Definitely wearable in warmer weather.

At first I thought Oro was very average & boring. However, I changed my mind as it developed on my skin. I prefer it to some other sweet-savory favorites such as Trussardi Inside, Gucci edp, & EL Sensuous, which are "biting" by comparison to me. Still, Oro is like, not love.

LaTanguera's avatar

Germany Germany

Tabac Blond by Caron

This review is for the actual/new version compared with the vintage stuff ( which I own as well)
    The new and fresh Tabac Blond is a mere ghost of scent, compared with the old perfume.
    I must admit I was very curious, and after a few moments of sharp and edgy leather,tobacco and a touch of carnation a nasty sweet and cloying honey note comes up to me which really is more or less disgusting. This note does not at all appear in any of my vintage versions, regardless how old or "turned" they may be.
    The staying power of the EdP is mediocre, what lasts for about 30 minutes is a girlish flowery sweet breeze- nothing spectacular, boring and not worth to be mentioned as one of the most talked-about perfumes of the past.
    I am utterly disappointed and will ebay my new "find" asap.