Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

surge's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I like it but the lime note is WAY too strong...should be more coconut and less lime.
    Longevity isn't a problem as long as you use 3-4 sprays.
    I also feel kind of weird wearing this in cold weather New York...It would be awesome if I lived in Malibu and went to the beach every day...but I dunno...I do like feminine fragrances but I think this one is a bit *too* feminine to call unisex....I'll still wear it though so I dunno what that says about me :P

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)

Payno_1's avatar

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

Paul Smith Extreme is fresh, fruitful and zesty to begin with, but really dies down very quickly, so much so that after the first 30 minutes it becomes bland and really rather average to say the least. The longevity of this fragrance, for me, is pathetic. You will be lucky to get 3-4 hours out of it. It doesn't project very well either. All in all, a cheap cologne here in England for a reason. Could only see it being used if you're going to the gym for a few hours and don't want to spray any of your better colognes on yourself. I would expect more from Paul Smith.
    2.5 out of 5.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2010)

Payno_1's avatar

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

Hollister SoCal is definitely a fragrance for a younger man. Between the ages of 14 - 21. I would definitely recommend it to someone as their first ever cologne. I don't know what others thought when they first smelt this, but I got a strong scent of milk! Very sweet, almost sugary milk?! The projection doesn't last as long as I thought it would considering the Hollister Store wreaks of this stuff, they must have to re-spray the shop every 4 hours because that's how long it lasts! It's longevity isn't the best, I get around 4 - 6 hours maximum, as it almost disappears on your skin after a couple of hours. Probably suitable for a day at the beach or a summer party, might even be acceptable for a night on the town, but I wouldn't expect great compliments unless the girls you're talking to know about Hollister!
    Just about gets a 3/5.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2010)

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

EDIT: I finally tried the vintage formulation of Nicole Miller for Men. I actually don't really notice much of a change between the vintage and current versions, except that the current version is sweeter with more noticeable apple and aldehydes. The vintage version is straight up warm, aldehydic apples, leather, and booze. It's good stuff but it can get cloying if too much is applied.

Excellent sillage and longevity. If you find it, try it.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2011)

pms's avatar

Christian Lacroix by Christian Lacroix

I love it! It smells like heaven, and the bottle is fabulous.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2011)

Safetyjon's avatar

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I find Boss Number One to be very unique...Nothing I own smells quite like this. It is anamalic, masculine, dry and dirty with a hint of sweetness from the honey. I really do enjoy it when I'm in the mood to wear it. It starts out very potent, but calms down to a reasonable level within a half an hour. Sillage is very good, but not excessive. Longevity is 8-10 hours.

I find it to be more masculine than Quorum Puig or Bijan PH, but not necessarily more powerful. Azzaro PH, Giorgio PH and Halston Z-14 are just as powerful, but sweeter.

I have other fragrances with the patchouli, sandalwood and oakmoss combination in the basenotes, but this powerhouse is so much more anamalic...so much dirtier. Definitely a thumb's up.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2011)

CoL's avatar

Cool Water Wave Woman by Davidoff

fresh fruit top notes of watermelon, mango, passion fruit and guava over floral mid notes of peony, freesia, and heliotrope. The scent finishes on base note of pink peppercorn, iris wood, sandalwood, amber and musk.

Notes from Cheapsmells.com

Me likes! Woody/fruity/floral. Really does smell very unisex although I have not worn it for very long as yet. I get mango/melon over wood.

pimiento's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Very nice. what impresses me most is the versatility. It smells to me like a gourmand, woody, and distinctly manly scent all at the same time. Still though, it maintains subtlety. it's a great all-around scent when you don't have any particular mood in mind when you pick what to wear.

rednails's avatar

Nicole Miller by Nicole Miller

Warm, honeyed tuberose and ylang make this fragrance like sunshine on a winter day. Not for the haute perfumistas, but for women who want to smell nice and be happy. Nice ambery drydown.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The best take on bay rum ever - my favorite bay rum.

Well, that's what it is!

There's never anything wrong with wearing Old Spice, just don't over-do it! I prefer this to its drugstore contender, Brut.

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I don't get it. "Macho, masculine, powerhouse"? Doesn't seem quite like that to me.
    The notes suggest a classic fougere but this doesn't have that unique perky-green note I associate with that type of scent. The scent starts as aromatic and herbal. It quickly assumes its main character, a soapy-clean style. It is pleasant and simple. It gets sweet and a bit powdery in the dry-down but not excessively so. As well, I find an airy, salty tang from the patchouli and oakmoss. I just don't find this as heavy as many reviewers suggest. Odd, since I usually am very sensitive to scent. Pleasant, but I have other fougeres I like much better.

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

I can't believe I'm giving this a neutral rating. It is not my style at all, but it does a good job.
    It is very sweet, a gourmand-candy sort of thing. For me, a deep chocolate note dominates, perhaps with hints of nut and or coconut. A tasty little bonbon. I'd never wear such a thing, but some will like it.
    Dry-down retreats a bit from the candy, gets hints of leathery musk. Rather sophisticated in tone.
    Not too bad at all.

Weimar27's avatar

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

Teint de Neige brings the essence of snow to life delicate snowflakes of pure white
    falls on stone Angels beneath a dark azure
    sky, Roses with blood red elegance falls
    on the pure and virginal snow releasing
    the velvety warmness to your senses then
    turns sweet with the presence of tonka bean Reminiscent of a old woody cabin
    siting near the fire place the scent of
    freshly baked ginger and vanilla bread
    just came out of the oven on christmas
    eve Musk from the deep earth finishes
    this pale beauty.

Teint de Neige conjours the beauty of
    clear and translucent sight of icicles
    hanging on windowsills with it's prism of crystaled color on christmas day,

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Young, very young in style.
    Suggests an orange frozen treat.
    Doesn't last long at all. Fleeting, lightweight, even ephemeral.
    Orange -- clean -- gone.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Golden Woods by Max Factor

I LOVE this one! (and have a backup bottle and bath powder so I can now review it)
    Golden Woods opens with aldehydes and quickly softens into a rich powdery amber scent that smells like bath powder and piles of fallen leaves.
    It gradually adds spices into the scene bringing comparisons to Coco or Toujours Moi or a softened Black Cashmere or Opium.
    Golden Woods is a truly gorgeous oriental. I would catagorize it as unisex but would say it may take a discerning nose not a peer pleaser to seek this scent as it is neither fruity nor very floral to my nose.

Worth1969's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

This is the epitome of a modern, inoffensive scent - perfect for someone who just wants to smell fresh and nothing more. For those of us that appreciate a rich and distinctive fragrance (Tom ford Tuscan Leather),
    Euphoria will be a huge disappointment. I personally find this boring and unoriginal. Intense Euphoria, however, has a nice flavorful opening and a decent drydown. It's hard for me to take Calvin Klein seriously these days, just mainstream pedestrian scents that are too afraid to make a statement. Ho Hum.
    Very close to giving this a thumbs down because it's just so bland.

pokt's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Harsh pepper and at least 100 proof vodka... Not good vodka mind you... More the type that you would distill yourself.
    I tried to give this a chance but ended up laughing.
    At least the name fits.

pokt's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Classic, manly scent. Does not scream at people, but more subtly whispers 'I am here'.

wakemeupalready's avatar

Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander

One word.... AMAZING!! This is one of the sexiest fragrances ever, even though vanilla isnt listed as a note, there is a definate vanilla bomb in this. The only way to describe this is sweet, leathery and warm. A definate winter fragrance.

Feras's avatar

Kuwait Kuwait

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a scent that you either love or hate, you cannot just "like". I am madly in love with it and everyone from my family and friends know that I passed by if they smell it! There is nothing wrong with loving or hating a scent, that is just part of it, and to me, this is a scent that makes a statement!

Unlike the original Le Male (which is water in a bottle, and not worth buying), this one is unique and a longivity monster!

Feras's avatar

Kuwait Kuwait

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

I enjoy this occassionally after working out, makes me feel fresh, but thats about it.

Odile's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

To me this smells like a more masculine version of Dior Midnight Poison. Quite a bit heavier on the citrus but very similar in feel. I am a fan of Midnight Poison so I enjoyed sampling this. As a female I gravitate a bit more to MP, but I would still wear this one for myself if the mood struck (I also think men could wear MP). Ingredients seem quality - it's more distinctive and enjoyable than most of what's on the mass-market.

perfumenut's avatar

Belle d'Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Beautiful bottle, ad campaign, heritage...boring, blah mish mash of a scent on my skin. This is one of those fragrances that was orchestrated to smell wonderful on paper...so much so that I bought it based on that (I had other fragrances on so I did not sample on my actual skin in the store - why can't I ever learn). Later, when I had a chance to properly spray the sample I had (luckily before opening the retail package) - I knew it was going back immediately. No discernable notes...warm and spicy yes, but just a mess of poorly blended perfume sillage on me. If you are lucky and it smells on you like it does on paper, then I would give it a thumbs up...unfortunately as soon as it hit the warmth of my skin, it disintegrated into an uninteresting, pedestrian hodge podge.

perfumenut's avatar

Beige by Chanel

I went through a 20 mL decant of Beige and then purchased the full sized honker of a bottle. I have been searching for an "everyday" office fragrance that doesn't bore me to tears and this is it!! Starts with freesia and what I perceive as honeysuckle, but then moves into a creaminess that makes it more than a floral. I don't know why I find this simple fragrance so compelling other than the fact that it really isn't that simple (just masquerades as such) and it just smells good and clean - but expensive too!

Blue Rush Intense for Him by Avon

A fruity aquatic. Opens up with a grapefruit zing! and then dries down with velvety fruits like the reformulated Xeryus Rouge or Elements Aqua but fresher. Actually great for the price. Average sillage and longevity.

Perceive for Men by Avon

EWWWW!! The same cilantro/cumin note that gives off a "dirty taco" stench in Karma by Lush pops up here too! Smells nasty! Stay away! Kill it with fire!

TropiRock's avatar

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

It's a shame that Tumulte Pour Homme has gone the way of the brontosaurus. This is not for everyone, obviously, but one of the very best cedar-dominated fragrances. Jenson referred to Tumulte as "mysterious" and I absolutely agree. Its lack of complexity doesn't bother me one bit and I really enjoy the interplay between the everpresent cedar notes and the incense. Sometimes I detect a trace of anise in the background. If impartial polls matter in your assessment of fragrance, Tumulte garners more positive comments for me than nearly any other cologne. It is masculine yet nice and as the worldwide supply has apparently been exhausted, most people will never have the opportunity to experience this joy of a woody scent. Over time, that will make Tumulte even more mysterious...

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Falling in love with a rose fragrance has never been easier. If there's one thing you can never accuse Kurkdjian of is this: heavy-handedness. I've often marvelled over how lightfooted many of his creations are. They tease the olfactory nerve with gentle caresses and comehither glances rather than the sledgehammerlike blows of oriental powerhouses.

In LUMIERE NOIRE POUR HOMME, the somewhat winey rose is woven so seamlessly with the patchouli that it is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. The cinnamon is nuanced, if a little dusty, but it is the subtle touch of cumin that lends a definite sensuality to the otherwise clean musk base. Unisex only in the sense that it could make a great fragrance even for women, it reminds me of a sexier, more beguiling version of Sonoma Scent's wonderful Vintage Rose. And if you find Le Labo's Rose 31 a little too roguish to be gentlemanly, this is probably the perfect rose scent for you.

Beakywitch's avatar

England England

No. 5 by Chanel

This is a wonderful fragrance. It reminds me of crisp winter days - and nights, of Christmas (first had it as a Christmas present), frosty February walks and meals out at Easter. I like its sweetness but then I really dislike fruity perfumes. I always want to own and wear this and it's fantastic that previous generations of women have enjoyed it too. I don't think this has to make it an old lady's perfume or that anyone should use the term old lady in a negative way. We are all maturing and mature is still feminine just as this fragrance is. Chanel No 5 is quite simply a beautiful classic fragrance to be enjoyed by anyone.

nans's avatar

Cuoio di Russia by I Profumi di Firenze

I know this is sold as masculine scent... Yes, it smells of leather but it isn´t a smothering, heavy scent. It has a lighter, cleaner veil to it (maybe lavender, maybe incense) that cuts the leather. It even has a sweet, sugary element to it. I love wearing this and get nothing but compliments from men and women alike. For me, it´s a clean leathery scent for men, but also and edgy way for women to wear a leathery scent without smelling "uber male".