Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Beakywitch's avatar

England England

No. 5 by Chanel

This is a wonderful fragrance. It reminds me of crisp winter days - and nights, of Christmas (first had it as a Christmas present), frosty February walks and meals out at Easter. I like its sweetness but then I really dislike fruity perfumes. I always want to own and wear this and it's fantastic that previous generations of women have enjoyed it too. I don't think this has to make it an old lady's perfume or that anyone should use the term old lady in a negative way. We are all maturing and mature is still feminine just as this fragrance is. Chanel No 5 is quite simply a beautiful classic fragrance to be enjoyed by anyone.

nans's avatar

Cuoio di Russia by I Profumi di Firenze

I know this is sold as masculine scent... Yes, it smells of leather but it isn´t a smothering, heavy scent. It has a lighter, cleaner veil to it (maybe lavender, maybe incense) that cuts the leather. It even has a sweet, sugary element to it. I love wearing this and get nothing but compliments from men and women alike. For me, it´s a clean leathery scent for men, but also and edgy way for women to wear a leathery scent without smelling "uber male".

catnip_too's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I recently re-visited Chergui for the first time since last winter. My initial impressions have not changed. Chergui is a warm and spicy fragrance, which demands attention. The first feeling is, indeed, of a warm and dry breeze hugging me gently. It is a soothing, but at the same time insistent embrace, and I find it impossible to ignore. I can sense the dark honey well; then it quickly melts into the notes of amber and aromatic, bitter-sweet tobacco.

Chergui manages to combine sweet and bitter notes in a pleasing harmony. It is a rich and “deep” fragrance, but not a loud one. Like other Serge Lutens perfumes, it tends to stay close to the skin. Something in it reminds me of an impressionist’s landscape—brightly-hued compositions, but delivered with soft brush strokes, without strong lines. It’s certainly worth trying by anyone liking spicy, moderately sweet fragrances. On me, it lasts fairly long. I appreciate Chergui, but I think it is a bit too masculine for me.

pimiento's avatar

Just Me for Men by Paris Hilton

This is just so bland. It's not horribly offensive, in fact it could be interesting, but it's just soooo unoriginal, weak, and overall unimpressive.

49fiori's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

it stinks! - this is really bad, 175,- EUR - don't spend your money on this! It is really bad!

49fiori's avatar

Amor Pour Homme by Cacharel

not even good for your toilette, I got it as a present, now used it in my toilette, what a mistake, I can't even sit in my toilette now.

terrible.

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

This fragrance is so nice because it really does smell like roses. I use to love it and used it all. I didn't know it was still made until this week. I'm definitely going to order some. My husband doesn't care for it because he says it is too strong but I like it an wear it when he's not around. I've had lots of compliments on it from other people and can't wait to own it again.

Jridgen's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This one reminds me some of Polo Double Black and Bulgari Black, but I like it more than both of those. Good projection/sillage, but not too loud for the office. Longevity is impressive. 9/10

22 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2010)

Paradelle's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey Une Goutte sur un Pétale by Issey Miyake

Refreshing and simple. Seems mainly suitable for summer. The mimosa is enhanced when meshed with the smell of rain.

22 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 January, 2011)

Catnip's avatar

APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I received mine today, a totally blind buy. As the middle & bottom note started to develope, I couldn't helpmyself from thinking "I smelled that before". Yes, it smells exactly like Xerjoff - Kobe, only at a fraction of the cost. Perhaps if one look at it under the microscope, their ingredients differs. A classy neroli scent for gentlemen.

22 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2011)

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

I love Shalimar but i like this better then the current reformulation now available. I just received this as Eau de Shalimar. It starts with an over powering citrus and then quickly goes to a vanilla and then settles down to an almost floral vanilla note that remains for a long time. It just smells romance. I would love to get a bottle of the original Shalimar Eau Legerre to compare with the Eau de Shalimar. I know they are suppose to be the same but a side by side comparison would be great. My husband likes it too. My favorite will always be vintage Shalimar pre-1990.

22 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2014)

Renato's avatar

Night Show by Joaquin Cortes

This scent has excellent longevity and well above average sillage.

Bijan Nude for Men by Bijan

Clean, soapy, synthetic musk. Soapy like dish soap. Some florals in there too. Not as bad as it sounds; this is actually a decent soapy scent. The florals give it that rounded "creaminess" that other reviewers have described. Average longevity and sillage, but still good for the price....beats the heck out of CK Be! The white musk is key here - be prepared for a bitter soapy dry down.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Negative rating because it wastes potentially great coniferous and herbal notes.
    What is this? Fresh, minty laundry detergent.
    Uber-synthetic smelling, hints of faux leather (perhaps plastic-leather).
    Quickly gets very tiresome. Does not evoke nature in any sense.
    Pino Silvestre is MUCH better than this stuff.

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

An odd duck -- there's hardly anything here.
    A vague scent, somewhat sweet.
    Where are the spices?
    Coriander leaf (aka cilantro) should be very green, perky and aromatic. Don't get anything of that here.
    Don't even get cocoa bean.
    Very smooth and very very laid-back.
    I can see no reason to want this scent, or spend money on it.

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

This scent is a crime against humanity.
    Something that has lime, ginger, cypress and olibanum (frankincense) should be terrific, lean, zesty, aromatic.
    This is so sweet and heavy it is nauseating.
    Suggests an old purse with lipstick and foundation make-up.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Bois Noir by Chanel

Bois Noir seems to me more focused on the drydown notes of Egoiste (which is the part that i like the most). The drier, lavender-likem top notes of Egoiste seems to be absent and the fragrance goes straight to rich, creamy, spice aroma. The sandalwood is more on center than in Egoiste, mixed with the spicy tobacco note at the base and with a warm amber. There is also something that goes on cinnamon spice direction. The flowers are not evident on my skin. Compared to Bois des Iles, Bois Noir, seems more of a woody, tobacco, ambered version, lacking the ylang-ylang proeminent touch of Bois de Iles. Something on it also makes me think of an ambered Guerlain, like Guet Apens, and it the overall aroma has a warm, christmas aura. Since my favorite part of Egoiste is the basenotes, i prefer this one, that uses them in an amazing way.

Eau Maximum by Nickel

Whoa!!

All the reviews here are correct - this fragrance is extremely refreshing. What's amazing is that I found this at TJ Maxx (an American discount store, for our reviewers that are not American), and it was only 7 or 8 dollars. It is quite fresh and "sporty" like a Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch cologne, however it is by no means cloying, nauseating or boring - this is refreshing and different. It opens up with a refreshing blast of Lemon - the Lemon is combined with other Citrus, Orange and Grapefruit. Sage and Patchouli give the fragrance some herbal body, while Cocoa & Cinnamon gives it a bit of sweetness. Synthetic but at the same time natural. Very cooling thanks to the Spearmint; this is a perfect fragrance for summer. This fragrance lasts a while for the type of fragrance it is - a perfect fragrance for a young person, and for anyone else looking for a refreshing pick-me-up or summer cologne. Great for the gym as well, the price you can find it at makes this a steal.

Notes (from the Grooming Lounge):

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Spearmint & Orange
    Middle Notes: Lemon, Sage, Rosemary & Coca Leaf
    Bottom Notes: Patchouli, Cinnamon & Nutmeg

The_Cologneist's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

In a nutshell, Ikon is a clove, cinnamon, and incense fragrance with a rubber accord. It's pretty linear and lasts up to 10 hours on my skin (sometimes more). It sort of falls into the same category as Diesel Zero Plus, only it's more bold and has no sweetness. It's definitely interesting and nice, but if I wore this too much, I would probably throw up.

Other notes: Price is very cheap, I got a 2.5 oz bottle for 7.99! The quality and smell of this fragrance place it in the niche category.

grantpoole-adams's avatar

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I finally received this today.. and this definately lives up to the hype!

i was a bit worried that some people were calling this quite a feminine scent, but after seeing peoples views on it i stuck with aiming for this purchase.

On me, this fragrance smells very much like a cross between dior homme and fresh vanilla. It is a very "dressy" scent, you could wear this scent along with a black suit and feel absolutely untouchable!! its a real power fragrance.

It feels very expensive to, you can really pick up on the quality of the ingredients used, it definately feels like you have spent money on it. It wears great also, initially you get a very rich "dior homme" style feel but then as it sits, after a while it becomes very sweet and warm and really projects well.

it just feels so different to other fragrances which always seem to turn slightly bland once they have breathed on your skin for a while. The only way i can describe it overall is like this..
    you can go out to a shop like next or burtons and buy a fitted shirt.. you could then go down to gucci and buy another fitted shirt.. altho both are technically the same, the gucci shirt feels and wears so much better and lasts longer and continues to look its best throughout its life span.

this is definately worth the price tag! a very masculine fragrance that is sure to catch attention

JeanieE's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

this did not work in summer's heat for me at all. however, re-tried on a whim in the cold of winter and it turned BEAUTIFUL --and very sexy-- on me! I have officially become a HUGE Thiery Mugler fan: many of his fragrances have reacted similarly on my skin. The notes also vary greatly with "time of the month" which attest to the depth and genius of TM as an artist-advocate for all our feminine sides!

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Allure Homme by Chanel

Had mixed feelings about this one before I gave it a try. Back then I thought "a Chanel's men's fragrance can't be too good". I was wrong. The only downside of this fragrance is the fact that it is pretty populair and I tend to look for fragrances that are a little more unknown. I have been thinking about buying this for months now but I think I'll end up buying it becouse I really like spicy and fruitty fragrances such as these.

vintage*red's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I am late to the Angel party, and I think that I should have stayed home. My first reaction was "Lolita Lempicka minus anise". Actually, this is a strawberry sundae sprinkled with patchouli and topped with whipped cream. And this is the friendliest patchouli that I have ever known! I don't really like it, but I don't dislike it either. It is what I thought Miss Dior Cherie would smell like but didn't. For whipped cream, I prefer Un Bois Vanille. For a slightly gourman patchouli, I prefer Coromandel. I do like the strawberries, but I doubt that I will be in a strawberry mood very often. Having said all of this, you must give Angel a try just for the novelty of it all!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

SMH @ GUCCI! SMH means shaking my head for those of you wondering.. This is w/o a shadow of a doubt another bad release from the house of Gucci. Someone mentioned that it smells similar to Versace Green Jeans & I would have to agree, & that is nothing to boast about. The fresh yet predictable scent is nothing more than a attempt to keep up with the rest of these perfume homes who are creating this sporty/fresh unoriginal scent. When was the last time the fragrance world had a fresh/sport fragrance that really set the standard for all these wanna bee's? Not impressed!

SHAUNO's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

I tried this when i was in elementay school at a grocery store.. that should tell you something about the quality right there. As a little boy I thought this was the scent of a man. Im 32 years old, i know differently now...

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Welcome to the 70's! A sexy, macho blend of citrus, herbs, and spices. Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a very distinctive, recognizable scent - if you have smelled Jovan Sex Appeal before, it is very similar. Of course, Pierre Cardin came first, and the Jovan is a bit spicier. For an Eau de Cologne, this lasts a while on me - I get up to 6 hours. I don't believe this juice is offensive at all, and not necessarily dated, but it certainly smells like it came from a different era! Awesome bottle, as well! Definitely great for the price.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

S-ex by S-Perfume

Held captive within a triple-glazed, Calone-filled fume cupboard is the secret subject of S-ex: leather. A simple leather, of a homeopathic quantity, but it's undoubtedly there and is divulged most prominently in the first hour. The drydown, unnervingly long-lived, ensues in a watermelon and red berry direction and S-ex reluctantly expires as a fruity, steely musk. I can't fathom why a perfectly fine leather accord should be submerged in a medium as uninviting as what the official pyramid of notes refers to as 'Spirit of Life'. If you can move beyond the urge to voice a spirited rant about the chilly lifelessness of Calone, S-ex does repay attention: the leather is darkly, smokily convincing. But if it were just amplified to something more than a miniscule concentration there'd be less work to do in tearing away the clingfilm tomb and the fragrance would feel less like a misconceived cryptoscent.

valdeere's avatar

Perfect Vanilla by Creative Scentualization

If you're looking for a vanilla that's not foody, this is it! I love it, the blood-orange opening is divine and the vanilla is there without making me smell like a cookie! It's smoky and sexy and the tobacco dry-down is amazing...a more sophistocated vanilla for sure.

LostArgonaut's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain EdT is a beautifully constructed masterpiece with a phenomenal fresh citrus opening complimented by comforting warmness of anise and jasmine. However, the signature "Guerlainade" dry-down seems absent in Eau de Toilette version of L'Instant. Although its longevity is average, I would give anything to have the opening of EdT last little longer.

L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme - the EdP edition is quite another beautiful story in its own. Instead of the initial citrus burst of the EdT which is now in the background, EdP opens with bitter chocolate accord and develops to intoxicatingly seductive middle and base notes. Its scent life is amazingly enduring - I can honestly smell it on my wrists after a full day and a shower, and on my coat even after few weeks.

If you claim an interest in perfumery, a L'Instant pour Homme is a must in your wardrobe. Get both EDP and EDT if you can afford, but either of them is a true masterpiece.

vintage*red's avatar

Envy by Gucci

What a beautiful floral! It is green and translucent. It emphasizes white florals but is balanced by iris. It reminds me of Ivoire but it does not turn soapy or powdery or sour. Envy somehow walks the fine line between old fashioned and modern. She manages to walk that line with unusual grace & charm. The pure parfum is soft & beautiful. The edt is bright & cheerful. My only regret is the modest longevity for the edt. The edp is STRONG with incredible longevity. Gucci no longer carries Envy on their website, so get it while you can.

23 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)