Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

shamu1's avatar

Gillette Cool Wave by Gillette Series

Wow, is this a surprise! Not only does this cheapie supermarket aftershave smell awesome, but it's a chypre too! Cool Wave may be an aftershave product, but this can easily be worn as an all-day fragrance.

Despite it's name, this is not aquatic at all, nor is it a sports fragrance in any way. You know what this smells like? A lighter, more transparent version of Sung Homme, that's what! How awesome is that? Just think about how whacked that is - an 80s styled aftershave powerhouse that's sold at the supermarket!

Gillette obviously spent some real dough in hiring a talented perfumer to compose this, because this is real quality stuff. Cool Wave smells old-school, super masculine and just plain awesome from beginning to end. The predominant note throughout Cool Wave's duration is moss. The drydown is outstanding - a dark, dusky moss base that manages to hold on to the macho vibe all the way to the end.

I paid $5 for my 3.4 oz. bottle, and I am totally serious when I say I'd pay $40 for this if I had to. It's that good.

MY RATING: 9/10

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 02nd January, 2011)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Yacht Man Blue by Myrurgia

Very nice scent indeed, opens fresh, floral, pleasant and powdery, I mean "powdery".
    Very well constructed so I cannot distinguish the notes, they blend well and in perfect balance. The powdery drydown is somewhat sweet with some vanilla and musk, or Tonka bean (coumarin) maybe but I may be wrong because notes are so well intermingled that no a single note dominates. A well deserved thumbs up.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 17th January, 2011)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Thumb down: I have a good skin, most scents last on me quite a while, even those with wich there is a general longevity problem. But this fragrance dissipated rather fast after first application and that left me baffled. Too bad. They really blew it with this one.

Edit, thumb up: damn I was wrong! This scent is in fact very projective and has a very good longevity despite the fact it is ''airy'' scent. It is perfect for spring and one can feel that distinctive Bvlgari style in this scent. It is quite elegant and not in your face kind of smell, yet it'll create quite an aura around you. Must have been that I didn't test it properly the first time I've tried it.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2011)

be-bop's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this fragrance...I used to live on the Mediterranean surrounded by Orange Groves, and this takes me right back to those orchards...One of the most heavenly scents I know...People are saying its too feminine, but it just smells like a beach on the Med to me...so fresh...And although I hate the bottle, its so faddish, I liked the scent enough not to care...

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th November, 2011)

jclaxton78's avatar

360 Degrees Black For Men by Perry Ellis

If you like 360 White (a JPG La Male clone) you will love 360 Black because they are similar, but black has extra spices in it which makes it slightly more masculine and complex. Both are cold weather, romantic or evening colognes though so I don't feel it is fair to compare them to the original 360.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2011)

jclaxton78's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

"Newer is Better"

This is perfect for anytime because it has citrus and fresh scents with underlying warm inviting notes. It's versatility is amazing and if I had to pick one cologne as a staple this would be it. Wear this one anytime and anywhere. A safe bet for anyone because although the smell is not super unique, but it is unique in that a manufacturer makes something that can be worn to work AND in the evening. It evolves like a cologne should. It is a clean scent with notes that are alluring but not trying too hard to be a lady killer. Will appeal to the masses.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th February, 2012)

Patchouly Noir by Il Profumo

One of the best elements of my heavy arsenal. I use to layer it with Habit Rouge in order to create the most sumptuous, baroque and regal fragrance ever coiceived, suitable for cerimonies at Royal Palace. This is sumptuous, exotic and mysteriously decadent as a nobiliary palace, gosthly and labyrinthian. It's a patchouli dominant fragrance whose all the other notes, hints of vanilla, cedar, mint, a touch of tobacco and poppy, circulate around the earthy note of patchouli, in order to get it smoother, softer, a bit airy and more gentle. It's pretty obscure and so bold and charismatic because of the accord between balsamic elements and patchouli, but it's also luscious and chic because of the velvety and aristocratic sweetness of vanilla, supported by a glamour and oriental hint of poppy. The general balance is sheer. A neutral cedarwood is starring on the side of patchouli, the note of vanilla is well calibrated, the aromatic mint imprints since the beginning an almost mentholated trail while a voluptuous floral note and a delicious amber/tobacco stress the nocturnal decadence of the juice. Layered with an hint of Black Tourmaline Durbano it becomes something spiritual and transcendent. PN is a superb creation that manages to lord over all the other scents of the Royal House's ceremony.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2013)

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Unique and revolutionary, this is a semi-aquatic fragrance, a trait d'union between chypre, aromatic/boise and ozone-marine elements. A really woodsy and mossy aroma from the forest standing near a mountain lake. This link arouses a sort of woody-balsamic-ozone marine scent, something that, although in a different way, i detect in Bvlgari Aqva, i mean the sensation of standing in front of a dark-green mass of water in a shadowy windy day with a coastal forest behind you. The aroma is ozone (iodine) blended with scent of wet woods, seaweeds, roots and plants (vetiver, sandalwood, orris roots, oakmoss etc), resins (balsam of fir, amber), musks, flowers (rose, lily of the valley and others), spices and fruits (lemon, juniper berries and peach), altogether whirled and spinned around by a unique breeze playing the game of the contrasts. This scent is almost dense because of the woods and its smell is not synthetic or kinda bath soap, just aromatic, slightly coniferous and ozonic. Wearing Kenzo Pour Homme i figure myself at once over watching the immense dark appalling ocean by the peak of a mountain.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2014)

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

A waterfall of cardamom and peppery/roasted leather, too much for my taste. Sort of furiously smoky, roasted, leathery concoction very dirty and acid at the beginning, may be too much animalic and fierce for my pleasure. As already said, it starts with a spicy-citrusy accord supported by an anise-absinth addition. The accord of anise-absinth is detectable thorough the trip, providing to the scent its balsamic (licorice kind) temperament. The following development procedes with the addition of such a resinous, balsamic leather-castoreum real Niagara waterfall. The latter ends up in to an overly linear and aggressive smoky leather accord considerably balsamic and decidedly acid due the absinth as combined with a resinous support by hints of opoponax. The scents conjures up such a body sweat acidity ideally mixed with a green coniferous deodorant on a man engaged to roast meat on barbecue.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2014)

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Claustrophobia in a bottle and images of medieval subterraneous prisons and labyrinths coming to mind. Gothic. Alongside of Salvador Dalì Pour Homme, Black Tourmaline Durbano and the new sepulchral Dark Aoud Montale probably the darkest scent i own. The bats circle in the misty air of the night. An obscure, narcotic, resinous blend of many elements, i figure (but anybody is sure apart from the creator Gualtieri) musk, tobacco, hashish, oudh, coffee, vetiver, patchouli, may be heliotrope, precious woods, incense, leather, smoke and some nocturnal flower as the violet. The hidden floral heart beside woods and patchouli produce, in the obscure, camphoraceous, ancient wake, a spark of modern-chic sophistication. Ancient and modern tend to merge eachother in a futuristic and timeless ( gothic and alluring-chic at once) connection. I'm sure that cistus labdanum and may be cypriol oil could have been included in the recipe. A starring role is played by vetiver imo (many mention sandalwood and i agree too) but is still important the role played by coffee, aoud, incense and obviously hashish (this one barely perceivable by the experts on the topic). Highly dangerous, naughty, synthetic for sure (nobody demand to nail down the contrary), i wear this scent in order to cut boldly the crowd as an hypnotic vampire in the smoky appalling night clubs all around the world. The longevity and the sillage are stunning and impressive (how could anybody tell the opposite?), the scent is as much viscous that could stain for real. I agree with Off Scenter about its crudity and its sperimental, hardcore modernism (that submits sometimes the balance, the measure, and it is probably like that in here) even though we can't deny that this fragrance is anyway addictive, mysterious, intoxicating, dirty, controversial (for sure) and brooding. Enough for me. Black Afgano does not aim to be Boucheron Pour Homme, to replace Pour Monsieur, its goal is opposite. All here seems pushed up beyond the limits but it's undeniable people get crazy about it, women seem submitted by its otherworldly, orgiastic, mellow cruelty. At least around me.
    P.S: don't believe the hypes guys, don't be enchanted by a massive marketing campaign for sure, i furthermore add anyway don't be blindly enchanted by the trendy easy appeal of the "charge free" intellectual denigration, we are everybody able to place over different stages Black Afgano and Guerlain Derby.

23rd December, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2014)

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Swanky is on the money - Arpège pour Homme is not only similar to Pi by Givenchy, but also Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron. The same creamy, "custard" feel I get from Pi turns up in Arpège pour Homme, albeit not as sweet. This is still a sweet, powdery fragrance, although powdery more like cotton candy. Imagine a creamy cotton candy-like substance. This could be attributed to heavy florals, namely Iris, I presume. For the first few minutes I get some of the top notes - Neroli contributing to the various florals and an Orange note, creating a "candied oranges" aroma similar to that of Joop! Jump. Forget Rochas Man and A*Men - this is the Vanilla side of men's gourmands. Besides some smooth but very faint woods in the base, this fragrance is essentially a hybrid of Pi and Jaïpur Homme the whole way through, being creamy and sweet and at the same time powdery and heavy on florals to give it a "cotton candy" feel.

Now, I am generally not a fan of sweet scents at all, but I can actually tolerate this fragrance. As with most sweet fragrances I have tried, the longevity and sillage are definitely above average. For 10 bucks or less now at American discount stores as The_Cologneist had described, don't be afraid to give this a try, especially if you like sweet scents. If you HATE sweet scents, look elsewhere.

ricklee's avatar

Kiton Men by Kiton

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Pineapple. Mid Notes: Violet, Lily of the Valley. Base Notes: Tonka, Cedar, Moss, Musk. (thanks, OsMoz). I've owned this for years. Elegant and balanced. Perfect to wear with a business suit.

AppleNerd's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

To put it bluntly? It smells just like the reformulated (read: less offensive) version of Drakkar Noir, but with a thin veil of soap concealing its inner dirtiness.

Buy this if you like the original DN, but think the new version is too light.

actiasluna's avatar

Oudh Noir by Angela Flanders

This scent, according to a coworker, contains all that is embodied in a well-heeled old estate full of antiques. A slightly musty but refined start, with definite earthy overtones, makes one think of libraries full of old volumes and drawing rooms furnished with very old, fine woods that have been lovingly oiled and cared for over time.

This is indeed a darker sort of scent, one that lends a slightly mysterious and old-school-sophisticated air to the wearer. I choose it on days that I want to be perceived as someone who really knows whereof they speak.

Old money, wood, patchouli, and definitely a unisex treat.

colormechris's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

It's so similar to Gucci Pour Homme. But not as good. It just makes me want to wear the real thing; that being the Gucci. I don't find any progression or change whatsoever from first application to many hours later. Completely linear...but then, so is the Gucci. This is like somewhere between the Gucci and a "desinger imposter". I guess it's an acceptable second choice, and it's certainly a lot less expensive. But the whole thing just kind of makes me go "Meh". The bottle with the charms is kind of neat...you could make it into a necklace or something. But the bottle seems to be where the real thought was put.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

Beautiful Love by Estée Lauder

I have a love-hate relationship with this fragrance. I completely understand that women sometimes wear fragrances for themselves, sometimes for other women, and sometimes for men, and I would definitely categorize this as something I would only wear for a man.
    Infact, I wear this only for my boyfriend. It's his favorite fragrance, hands down. It's the only fragrance he knows by name and the only one he asked about when another woman was wearing it. He bought it for me as a gift, and he loves it when I wear it. He literally buries his nose in my neck, closes his eyes and takes a big sniff, followed by either a huge smile or a big kiss. All the men in my office love it too. I've worn it to clubs, to church, on dates, always with the same result. Men are always telling me how good I smell when I wear it.
    I think it smells synthetic on me and like a big mish-mosh of white florals with no unique character. When I want a "take notice" white floral, I usually reach for Fracas on my "sexy" days or Carnal Flower on my "wild" days, maybe even Michael by Michael Kors on a summer day, and I would have never bought Beautiful Love for myself. However, I can't deny that men love it, and for that, I give it a thumbs up.

Maver1ck911's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Thumbs Down due to the fact this fragrance screams the following: Cheap, High School, Douche-bag, Greaser, Slimy.

It is so widely worn and by so many novice owners every time i smell Acqua di Gio, it is over applied, i smell em before i see em, and more often than not worn by a douche-bag.

Enough said. If you are on this site to begin with, i suggest getting in the hunt for something more unique to avoid smelling like a High School football player, or that guy at the cellphone kiosk in the mall.

Maver1ck911's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Look for Terre d'Hermes.
    This is peppercorns up your nose making you sneeze. awful.

's avatar

Iperborea by Lorenzo Villoresi

Villoresi's 2010 contribution is a complex green floral starting with extremely soapy, greenish top-notes which give way to a dominant and rather screechy magnolia-jasmine accord. The first impression, especially the top-notes, did not appeal to me at all, the heart seemed very harsh and uninviting and in the end I recognized the familiar musky notes Villoresi used in his top-seller Teint de Neige (a scent which I love, btw). Iperborea seems like an attempt at recreating classics like Balmain's Ivoire or Scherrer I, but it is less remarkable and is not harmonious ... the name reminds me of the prefix hyper - Hyper- IPER. Everything seems a bit over the top and the scent does not possess the effortless elegance of the great iconic green florals, nor does it please the senses with a well-balanced cocktail of flowers. Staying-power is excellent, but the overall impression is not.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

My very first thought when I first tried SoCal was: "Christmas!", immediately - because of three things:
    1. It smelled like pine needles.
    2. It reminded me of Davidoff Cool Water Game which I received as a Christmas gift last year;
    3. It was December already.
    It's not a simple cologne by no means. It's fresh, but its freshness comes from cedar and pine. Then it's sweet but just in the right measure with pineapple, pear or I don't know what, this is the part that reminded me of Coll Water Game.
    Then after a while an amber/vanilla accord comes on stage to surprise me completely. It's a complex scent with many faces, you could call it woody, fruity, almost oriental in the dry down.
    (Dry down is actually the part that really surprised me with its almost gourmand presence, still accompanied by woods)
    It evokes a beautiful picture of a beach with some clouds, driftwood on the shore, then a warm house with a view to the ocean. Not sporty, not cheap-smelling, it succeeds to be light and cozy at the same time. It's the type of perfume you would choose if you had to choose just one bottle for all places.

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

What a wonderful "sport" fragrance!

Lanvin L'Homme Sport is very much like Baldessarini, yes, however Baldessarini is a bit fruitier up top and has tobacco in the base. I'm actually starting to prefer this to Baldessarini. This definitely is not your ordinary "sport" fragrance, though. In fact, the name is probably the only "sport" thing about it! Darker than other fragrances of its type, as The_Cologneist stated before, but still a wonderful fresh masculine with a distinctive smell. Has a bit of a "coconut" aroma to it as well, but just barely. Lasts a while, too! Cool bottle, by the way....

Lanvin L'Homme Sport can be found for $25 dollars or less at discounters nowadays, so jump on the offer while you can - it's a great deal!

Voyage by Nautica

odysseum and shamu1 have the most accurate reviews of this fragrance.

A lame cucumber melon grassy aquatic.

Mon-Petit's avatar

France France

Bois Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a very interesting Féminité du bois variation and a specific sensation before all.
    I feel like in a relaxing and charming forest at the end of an afternoon. A sweet sunray warms the wood with a note of balsamic vanilia and chestnut cream. A light breeze brings the (so Lutens) crystallized fruits, the spices are discreetly bewitching. Sensual, calm and fairy !

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

SirSlarty and Diamondflame's reviews are the most accurate of this scent, in my opinion.

Amber & Lavender is a comforting fragrance, as stated before by Indie_Guy, and definitely more masculine.

However, it is not very sweet. This is more of an up-front lavender with herbs and an oakmoss base. Clean and green. If you have ever smelled Molton Brown's Active Cassia Body Wash or Body Spray, then this is almost exactly like that. However, this came first, so the Molton Brown would be like this, then. Still, this is a wonderful masculine scent that is warm and comforting with a clean, astringent lavender up front. Lasts a while on me. I have never smelled Esencia Loewe, so I can't comment on the similarities there, but this is a very distinctive and enjoyable smell. However, if we're talking unisex, this is most definitely on the masculine side. This can work in all seasons, although it kind of feels out of place in summer. Don't over-do it - it can be headache inducing. Otherwise, I think this fragrance is fantastic.

GGA's avatar

Finland Finland

Couture Couture by Juicy Couture

Good, but not very original - it reminds me very much of Jean Paul Gaultier Classique and Lancome Poeme.

24th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2010)

Adonis1971's avatar

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Picked up some to add to my collection and turns out now to be my favorite of all my colognes. I would recommend it in colder climates even though it can be worn pretty much year round. My wife loves it!!!!

24th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13th January, 2011)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

A bit too much heavy floral lemon for me. Doesn't last very long either.

cK be by Calvin Klein

cK be - from my nose, just a simple fruity-floral musk scent. It has a bit of a peachy aroma. A bit too feminine and subtle for me. I can understand why people would like this, though.

Johnny5's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Wow, This is some strong stuff. A precaution, 1 spray is probably all you will need and try it out at the store before you purchase it. This was introduced in '89...and strangely, it smells like it. Its kinda got a weird powdery sweet+80s club scene+old woman thing going on. Its not bad, but it is potent, and not everyone is gonna want to wear this. I LOVE sweet mens fragrances, but I would not say that just because you love sweet that you will particularly love this one...try it out first. Longevity is pretty solid (about 6-8 hours) for me, and I have gotten some positive feedback from a couple ladies at my job, they are 40-50 y.o, so its a keeper for occasional use.

MOONB's avatar

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

I challenge anyone to dislike Puig's lavender water. What's not to like? A cologne that smells of fresh Spanish lavender, herbs, and sweetened by a gentle touch of tonka and moss in the base? Truly divine stuff. The scent is brisk, green, ephemeral, and put simply, it smells amazing. Get the 7 oz glass splash, not the stuff that comes in plastic.