Latest Perfume Reviews

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Stardate 20161023:

Sugar and spice and everything nice.
And this one has good spices (none of that chritmasy shite).
The Vanilla and Balsam give the sweetness without making it cloying.

A perfect scent for this Fall

DKNY Delicious Delights Fruity Rooty by Donna Karan

Orange, blackberry - the fruit - and apple notes: sweetish, not really very sweet, with added nonspecific florals in the drydown, and overall quite generic.

The base continues the generic theme, with a musky vanilla that is rather pale

The sillage is moderate, the projection adequate and the longevity six hours.

Even for this line it is very synthetic and generic. Frolicking without substance and even that is not convincingly executed. 1.75/5.

Nobile by Gucci

This is a nice lavender fragrance, a typical men's grooming smell. Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant is similar, from memory. At times this one grabs me, other times it feels almost too familiar and restrained; light and polite to make a nice office fragrance, but perhaps missing a sufficient hook to keep me interested, despite the long list of notes; but definitely a safe option for a formal event to smell clean and refined.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Well, this one has me stumped. This was a free sample with purchase, one I requested specifically for its notes as I have a thing for chocolate scents. All I can say is that if I’d purchased a full bottle based on the notes, I’d be feeling pretty ripped off right about now, and pretty damn angry. I don’t get any chocolate or vanilla or amber or musk. There’s a weird, sharp note, like a crushed tomato plant stem. I get a bit of the chili pepper with a faint hint of a (very old) cinnamon stick and some dusty old cloves – ones that have escaped from the packet and have been sitting in the bottom of the spice rack forever – and that’s it. And after a couple of minutes, the scent is completely gone. I’ve re-applied three times, thinking maybe it was just weak and I needed to put on a bit more, but nope. I’d love to see what this is like on someone else, but on me, it’s just, well, nothing. I can’t even smell enough in this to make a call as to whether I like it or not – there’s just nothing there. Thinking it was maybe my skin chemistry, I asked my husband to try this one, and he could barely smell anything either, so maybe it is simply a bad sample. It’s a shame, because the notes in this all look so good. Definitely try before you buy. I’m giving this a neutral – unfair to give it a thumbs down if it is a bad sample. If I get the chance to try another sample and it’s different, I’ll update my review.

Davidoff by Davidoff

Stardate 20161022:

A Masculine powerhouse- Moss and Musk bomb.

A lot like Vermeil Pour Homme with a tad less patchouli. Might be redundant to own both.
And if you want to own one Vermeil might be the way to go as it is cheaper and available.

Lasts longs and projects well.

Nothing bad here and FBW but I don't think it deserves the veneration accorded to it by this board.

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

This scent is driving me crazy – it reminds me of something but I can’t think what! Maybe lemonade? I love that sharp zing you get when you peel an orange and you get the little bursts of juice from the peel. That’s what I get when I first spray this on. I also get a slightly green scent, with a hint of rose. I’m also getting the caramel. Really, this is such an unusual combination, what with all of those citrus notes with the caramel, but it works. And the cardamom adds a sort of spicy/herbal kick to this that I really like. It’s rather nice – this is another scent that would be great on a hot day after a nice cool shower, it’s so fresh smelling.

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Yum! I’m pretty sure this is what it would smell like if Serendipitous got it on with Montale Chocolate Greedy and they had a lovechild. Not as sweet as Serendipitous, not as smoky as Chocolate Greedy, and different enough that I will probably end up getting a full bottle at some stage, to add to my stable of chocolate scents. It’s got a nice toasted coconut edge to it too, even though coconut isn’t listed in the notes. I keep getting delicious wafts of this, and that’s just from a small dab on my arm from the sample bottle, which I put on over five hours ago. Actually, there’s no probably about it. This is a definite buy. Delicious!

Shalimar by Guerlain

I’m so glad I have this beauty in my stable finally! I’ve flirted with Shalimar for a long time, and really wanted to get it, and then by some major luck I was able to pick up a nice big bottle for an astonishingly good price, so I went for it. But really, what more can I say about this that hasn’t been said before? It’s a beautiful scent and I can understand why so many people love it. The sillage and longevity of this is amazing – I could still smell this after eight hours, and it’s one of those scents that seems to bloom if you get a bit warm. This is one of the few perfumes I have that has elicited an unprompted “oh, you smell nice!” from my husband. Normally I have to shove my arm under his nose and ask him to smell it before I’ll get a comment. Reading through the reviews, I’m amazed at how this perfume reacts with different people – some get leather, some get incense, some get spice, some get lemon. Each time I wear this, it is different. The first time I wore it, it was all soft powder with a touch of citrus. The next time, I got a big burst of citrus at the start, with a hint of leather, before it mellowed into a beautiful, soft, creamy powdery vanilla. The time after that, it was all powder and cream and vanilla, straight away. Shalimar smells sexy and very, very classy but at the same time, there is also something very comforting and approachable about it. It’s like you’re at a fancy party, and you see a stunningly beautiful, beautifully dressed, elegant woman – at first glance, she appears aloof, and you’re not sure if you should approach her. So you stay away, and instead she approaches you and flings her arms around you and greets you like a long-lost friend, and she’s so warm and friendly and welcoming that you wonder why you stayed away. I love it.

DKNY Delicious Delights Dreamsicle by Donna Karan

A fruity-fruity sweet opening: I get mandarin, peach and a raspberry mix, and if the sweetness meant vitamins, sniffing this would be a healthy popsicle feat indeed.

Interestingly, whilst this is unashamedly a sweet fragrance, its sweetness is never annoying or cloying.

In the drydown the peach, now with whiffs of sweet apple juice attached that nmbkend in well; unfortunately the notes are less specific and less convincing than were the top notes. The base displays a rather generic woodsy note with an equally bland vanilla.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

For those who like their perfumes sweet, fruity, young, frivolous and sugary with some candy vibes, this spring scent is worth trying. Clearly nothing extraordinary and overly synthetic throughout, it is quite well executed otherwise and never heavy or intrusive. 2.5/5.

Kimono Rose by Bois 1920

I’ve tended to avoid rose perfumes, largely because growing up, most of the rose perfumes (and other products, for that matter) I came across were horrifyingly sickly sweet. Lately though, for different reasons, I’ve been making myself try more rose products, and I’ve been delightfully surprised. As a skin care product, I’ve got to say it can’t be beaten. And some of the modern rose perfumes I’ve come across have completely changed my mind about rose scents. They are light years away from those horrid, screechy, synthetic, sickly rose perfumes I remember from my childhood. This one here is a little gem. There is nothing synthetic or screechy about this – it’s lovely; a quiet, gentle, refined, soft rose. The bergamot and bamboo stop this from being too sweet, while the amber and cedar give this a beautiful warmth. Every time I take a sniff of this, I feel like I’m sitting in the centre of a big, plump, pink rose – not being overpowered by the scent, just gently surrounded by it. I wonder if that’s what bees feel like, when they’re going about their business in a rose garden? If this is what they get, then they’re lucky little guys. This is simply beautiful.

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Romeo Gigli is a sweet, smoky fragrance that took me a couple wearings to appreciate, although I'm not sure why. Something was throwing me off initially, the woods in the base, perhaps, were coming off as sour. I'm now finding it slightly similar in style to Chanel Allure Homme in the top and Chanel Egoiste in the base, both of which I like, and I appreciate the descriptions below of a plum smell!
21st October, 2016 (last edited: 22nd October, 2016)

Elvis by Elvis Presley by Frances Denney

Stardate 20161021:

A nice retro animalic the likes of Boss No 1.
Has a mish mash of notes - tea/tobacco, cider and animalic.
Longevity and projection not so great.

Cheap and decent.

If you like Boss no 1 , Madras, Giorgio BH you should try this out but these three (vintage version of course)are better imo

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

Beautiful opening, a much less animalic version of Kouros, and a completely different opening with delicious, masculine citrus, and quite different overall for a flanker, comfortably wearable and good for the office with a shaving cream or barber shop feel.

Soho by Bond No. 9

Soho is a Madame who wears Bond no 9 B9; this fall season she adds a large hat covered in orange flowers to her outfit.

Wherever she goes, her presence is noted leaving a cloud of her fragrance.

Vétiver Moloko by Ex Nihilo

On my skin the vetiver is present from the beginning; a clean vetiver, quite bright with no significant earthiness or harsh sides. Combined with a somewhat underwhelming bergamot, it is quite a pleasant entry combination.

In the drydown woodsy accords combines with a rise impression, which remains rather subdued jolds back too much to make a truly lasting impression. There is an agreeable but somewhat unexciting vanilla added towards the end, which is well executed nonetheless. I get, however, very little of the milky way promised in the name.

The sillage is moderate, the projection very good and the longevity eight hours.

Like so often, the top notes are the most convincing part of the development of this creation, and in this case nomen est omen indeed - this is a vetiver-centred spring scent, at least for them first half. The rest is somewhat inferior overall, but the pleasant albeit a bit standard vanilla as well as the solid quality of the ingredients sees it through to cross the line to a positive score - albeit just by the skin of its teeth. 3/5.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is much more ambery on me than the Ambre Dore, which I tried recently. The lavender and nutmeg are right there at the opening, along with a slightly dusty, woody note. This seems more unisex that the Ambre Dore – it’s a bit spicier, but still a lovely, warm amber scent. I like it, but alas, it seems that this is another scent that my skin eats – it seemed to disappear after only a few hours. Beautiful while it lasted though.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm trying the original version of Kouros, and it's an interesting fragrance with an exciting, animalic opening. The urinous note is not so different from vintage Boss No. 1, which I enjoy. Some moments in the early development are reminiscent of an overused urinal, with an air freshener trying to offset the smell, but as it develops, it's nicer, and smells like an ambitious animalic floral. Into the base, it's an interesting woody fragrance, with a hint of animalic in the background. Overall, a marginal thumbs up, with my preference for something in this vein being vintage Boss.
RHM Show all reviews

Central Park West by Bond No. 9

One of the few big white floral fragrances I wear & actually enjoy. My skin turns FRACAS into a demure (not a typo) floral. So it is great to find a great white flora that stays "big" on me.

I get many, many compliments when I wear this. That doesn't happen often, so it's pleasant when it does.

Tobacco Absolute by Molton Brown

A truly beautiful tobacco accord achieved by simply mixing the tobacco note with leather and woods while maintaining a sort of transparency -- it never feels heavy. The top notes are so fleeting, I can't describe them especially any hints of grapefruit.

The fragrance performs well for me in all aspects and all for under £40. I would rather have 4 bottles of this than 75ml of Tabarome and most other niche 'tobacco' fragrances actually.

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

One of the most wonderful citric openings ever -- a lime and bergamot accord to die for.

It is an out-and-out 'citrus' fragrance imo with just small nods to herbs and woods later on. I don't get any spicy aspects.

Great sillage and longevity. There is no downside.

Prada L'Homme by Prada

Well, Prada seem to have run out of ideas and are chasing a winning formula only.

This is Dior Homme minus the 'lipsticky' element.

Just reinforces the idea that these Designer Houses have of male fragrance buyers, i.e. that we are all mindless sheep.

This deserves to 'tank'

Ambre Doré by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is lovely. When it first went on, it smelt quite green and herby, but after a couple of minutes, I got a lot of the myrrh and the sandalwood. Combined with the clary sage and the agarwood (which I like ALOT) it’s a lovely combination – all of these notes play so beautifully together. After around four hours wear, it had softened into a cosy, warm, almost creamy amber scent. I don’t believe in allocating perfumes to a particular season or time (I firmly believe that if you like it, and it smells good on you, then you should enjoy it and wear it whenever and wherever you like) but I could see this being a lovely autumn or winter scent – this is so warm and soft, it brings to mind cool, crisp breezes and soft snuggly jumpers. A winner.

Fleur Narcotique by Ex Nihilo

A bergamot opening embedded in a white floral blend - I get peony and hints of of lily-of-the-valley above all. This is given a nice twist with an infusion of a fresh-peachy aroma that balances out the floral side very pleasantly.

In the drydown the white florals move into the foreground, with a subtle jasmine, orange blossoms and a creamy foundation underneath, but less intensive than the top notes. The base continues the same theme, with nonspecific woodsy and light musky aromas added to it.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and five hours of longevity on my skin.

A not very original but otherwise impeccable floral-fruity opening, delicate but smooth and slightly creamy, especially later in the drydown. Unfortunately, the later development on my skin is flatter, more colourless, and the base is disappointing. Overall I struggle to get this into the positive realm. 2.75/5.
ION-ONE Show all reviews

Legacy by Cristiano Ronaldo

This is the first time I knew who the perfumer was behind a specific scent. Olivier Pescheux (1 Million / MB legend / Korous Silver). On first sniff I thought oh no not another 1 Million clone - it shares a certain faux-oppulance / fools-gold metalic character. There is also the fruity apple note found in the MB and silver. Pescheux clearly recycling some tried and tested accords. Anyway it develops in quite a different way there is a thick lavender, and the apple becomes quite sweet and caramel like, like a toffe-apple with a sweetness of butterkist popcorn. One note that really stands out is a chalky floral violet that enters around the heart - this actually elevates the fragrance for me - and seems to fit a footballer who went through a stage of wearing a flower in his hair.A clean musky, patchoulli dryness is probably the dominant feature of the drydown.
Overall it looks like CR wanted to go down a niche kind of route - looking at the bottle design and complex multi-layered composition. In Pescheux' hands the execution has been solid. Performance is good - and the density could even be a little cloying if over applied. It would make a decent replacement for 1 million / legend / spicebomb etc.
I'm personally happy with it but dont get too excited by it either. Not worth its full RRP but above average for a celebrity scent and quite fitting for Ronaldo.

Pi Neo by Givenchy

I don't DISLIKE this one. I just am so biased in favor of the original classic Pi fragrance, one of my all time faves in the oriental scent family. Take the name to really mean "A new take on Pi": Not as linear and deep as the original, though with a lot of interesting patchouli and wood notes going on. It seems a bit chaotic for my tastes, though it does elicit compliments from some. An acquired taste scent.

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

This is a very nicely done rework of the original AdG. The bottle is handsome, and the fluid within does not disappoint! It has a mature, enveloping quality to it compared to the that lasts on me all day. Because it's an intense version of the original, I would recommend that one tries a sample of it first, as it's not for everyone. LOVE this addition to the Armani line!

Azzaro Pour Homme Intense (new) by Azzaro

I am a fan of the original Azzaro pour Homme; this one takes that scent to a really nice level!! It is one of my go-to fragrances now. ApHI has a smooth, pleasantly citrus musky vibe that lasts all day on me. It's like a good friend who hangs out with you throughout the day without being intrusive nor unpredictable. I got my bottle from Ulta Beauty; there doesn't seem to be any other stores selling it (at the moment). A pleasant, welcome part of my collection! ;^>

Harrods Agarwood by Bond No. 9

This smells like Doha at night.

Oud-y, sandy, musty, flowery, sensual and expensive!!

I get compliments from both men and woman when I wear this!

Acqua di Lavanda Ambrata / Amber Lavender by Santa Maria Novella

Extremely natural, clear lavender opening. One of the best I've smelled. It's not piercing or sharp as some lavenders tend to be when presented in a colder, more soapy format (or when ingredient quality leaves something to be desired). This is a smooth, very three dimensional lavender.

The closest relative here (and really, throughout) is Caron Pour Un Homme...but Santa Maria Novella seems much simpler and drier to me. The Caron is a shape-shifter, sometimes augmenting the lavender, sometimes smelling quite herbal and spiky, sometimes too high on the vanilla cream side. The SMN is more predictable - maybe slightly less interesting, but something I'm more likely to reach for.

The amber drydown is of the dusty, almost mineralic sort that's easy to wear in any weather, and on any occasion. The overall impression basically formal and traditional - filtered through a minimalist, elegant, modern prism that really highlights the high quality on display here. Great stuff, and a favorite of mine in both the amber and lavender categories.

Unknown Pleasures by Kerosene

Unknown Pleasures is uncanny, unlike any other citrus OR gourmand that I've smelled previously. It walks the line of a citrus bomb of lemon and bergamot as well as a sweet overload of waffle cone and a host of other gourmand notes.

Comparisons to lemon pie, a lemon icee, or any other sort of lemon dessert / confection are pretty fair. It actually reminds me of cotton candy to some extent, the citrus influence notwithstanding. I get a decent amount of the waffle cone aspect rather than vanilla or tonka, so it lands somewhere between lemon gelato and candy.

Performance is strong, not quite as strong as Copper Skies or Follow, but certainly worthwhile for a fragrance that I'd say you need to love in order to buy at $140 for 100ml.

7 out of 10