Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

jackrumorz's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

If I have to explain this fragrance in two words, it would be lemons and creamy. It is very fresh, lemon-ey and creamy (vanilla) fragrance. Lasts about 6-9 hours and it's very creamy for atleast upto 5 hours. Then it kind of becomes a little powdery. Top notes are to die for. It's not the usual lemons you might smell at your grocery store. It is very rich, very sophisticated and very Chanel.
    Although, I like it a lot and so does women around me, there might be people who would not. So, no blind buy on this. I would say, try before you buy. It will work in Summer and people who live in hot part of the world. Not so much for cold weather, you will not smell anything apart from top notes in cold.

maw808's avatar

Sinan by Jean-Marc Sinan

Sinan, by Jean Marc Sinan, is one of only a few fragrances that compelled me, in the early 1980s, to follow its wearer upon catching a whiff. I had the pleasure to own and wear this warm chypre. For reasons that remain unknown, Sinan's packaging was changed in the early 1990s from the original curved bottle bearing the name "Sinan" in distinctive gold script topped by an elegant, unusual half moon contained in a smoky matte box, to a dime-store quality bottle in a nondescript grey box. Although the distinguished juice remained the same, its compelling presentation was gone. Soon after, the fragrance, too, had vanished. I must admit, however, that a mere two weeks ago, another Sinan-ish eau-de-wonderful captured my fancy in the same way when a woman passed me in a department store. She was proud to introduce me to Soir de Lune by Sisley, a house that I'd not previously known. Without having smelled Sinan in at least 15 years, I recall that it did resemble Soir de Lune, which is now part of my wardrobe. They share the same beauty, sillage and longevity.

NickT's avatar

1818 by Brooks Brothers

One of my favorite fall/winter scents. A little heady at the opening but it calms down into a warm lush mix that lasts.

bokaba's avatar

Gold Medal by Atkinsons

Gold Medal is certainly a step up from 4711, but does not meet the quality of other top market eaus such as Lorenzo Villoresi and Acqua di Parma, but at such a low price, who would expect it to? Probably not the same formula that won the Gold Medal, but still very nice. This is a no-nonsense type of cologne with an opening of bergamot and other citruses followed by neroli and orange blossom with a light musk base. A tad sweeter than say Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille, but very similar without the strong herbal qualities. Only available in Italy and to some extent in Britain, so buy some if you can before it is gone forever.

manicboy's avatar

Casran by Chopard

Smells rather ordinary given the extraordinary pyramid. Rochas Man and Hanae Mori HM are more realized versions on this theme. Extremely hard to find but if you don't, you're not missing much.

Manteuse's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

"Powdery Elegance" to sum it up in a phrase.

Linear to some, dependable and luxurious to me. It does stay the same, but it stays for a good while and never wears out it's welcome.

A romantic scent you want to escape into.

Kav's avatar

Sandalwood by Taylor of Old Bond Street

There are a few scent classes so familiar all renditions will either face a favourable or hostile reaction. Bay rum has enough efforts to merit a 'wine tasting' with people who like this usually well received and manly scent. Sandalwood by it's very prepotency will
    either be loved or hated. The pure, and endangered pure sandalwood is entirely different from the many makes.I like the TOBS. It's englishman home from India, the flower duet from Lakme' exotic with his tan but still familiar.

Keene's avatar

Hearts & Daggers for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

This is going to sound horrible, but I had a little vial of Barbie perfume when I was a child that smelled exactly like Hearts & Daggers for Women.

I loved it, even going so far as to crack open the lid and add some water and alcohol in an attempt to make it last longer. I think I was about 6 years old when I ran out, and ever since the loss has haunted the perfume lover in me! Lol, silly, isn't it?

When I first sampled this fragrance at the department store, I was repelled by the immediate, sickeningly sweet scent it left on my skin and hurried on to others. The first impression was a bad one, and I was equally repulsed with the bright magenta "punk" bottle. I had no doubt I didn't want it.

However, about twenty minutes after leaving the store, I noticed the soft smell of freshly cut apples coming off of my skin. When I finally realized it was coming from the wrist with the Ed Hardy fragrance on it, I was floored. That disgusting perfume? Really?!?!?!

Even now, I'm still a little bit in denial. H&D almost perfectly captures the crisp smell of that first perfume which I had loved so dearly as a child. Unlike many perfumes with apple scents in them, this one doesn't smell fake or highly concentrated to me. The apple blossom is a light companion to the sweet jasmine, spicy musk, and deep amber, saving it from being too pretentious for day wear and making it interesting. I can already tell--this will grace my wardrobe for many years to come. :)

I don't see the notes listed for this yet, so here they are in order of appearance:

1. Top Notes:
    Blood Orange, Violet Leaf, and Apple
    2. Middle Notes:
    Mango, Apple Blossom, and Pink Jasmine
    3. Base Notes:
    Cashmere Musk, Amber, Benzoin, and Blond Wood

manicboy's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

A pleasant, watery frag that steers clear of the aquatic abyss by adding an herbal pine-like note. Smells nothing like Cool Water but Davidoff surely used the Cool Water name to push this out the door. Perfect if you spend a lot time in the desert.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

A very nice variation on jasmine, the jasmine reminds me of the type found in Thé Pour un Été. The two fragrances are pretty alike and the difference lies in the tea vs tabacco note. I think the L'Artisan is nice during summer days and the Etat libre one would be a nice one to wear when it gets a bit colder or you want your perfume to have a bit more depth.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

gourmand ginger that is wearable and not sickly sweet. Unusual enough to be interesting but not so over the top that you are afraid to wear it anywhere you'd like.

komak123's avatar

Poland Poland

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Grapefruit orange ruggedness. Absolute Superhero scent. Not too many of them like this out there nowadays. However would not wear this to work - its drity, earthy side might make it boarder line offensive to some people.

Scentirus's avatar

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

I just loved this scent, orange, vanilla and cinnamon rules there. My second favorite BOSS scent.
    The only weak thing to say for this fragrance is its longevity... light as soul. :)

vintage*red's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Y pure parfum is soft & lovely. Y edt is bright & lovely. But Y edp is the star. It starts with a peachy bergamot (similar to Mitsouko) followed by a floral heart. The final notes give more than a passing nod to leather but never approach an unfriendly, hard leather. It is a classic non patchouli chypre and I can understand why it has a loyal following. Y is not outstanding in any way, but it is a wonderful example of a now defunct class of perfumes.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Washington Square by Bond No. 9

I am reviewing Washington Square on a very cold December evening in Manchester UK...

The scent is cool and sharp to start with; I can detect hiacynths and lilies with a citrusy accord which lingers and lingers...

The heart is yet to come...

This scent is very unusual and reminds me of a very cold night in Siberia/Moscow...marvellous memories of Christmas snow on your window...

lauraschoice's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka

An overwhelmingly sweet and strong frag that some might find seductive but I just found nauseating. It burnt my nose and gave me a headache.

bhougland's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I wanted to love this fragrance. I have read all the reviews and have have read many times where someone will compare Bulgari Black to Fahrenheit; not in the scents themselves but the type of attitude you need to rock this juice. Lets just say I don't get that at all.

I am not sure if I get too much of the "rubber note" this one is known for, as all I get is vanilla. just a smooth vanilla. I actually tested this on paper, but then went back to the store a week later and did a skin test. Well, three hours later I can barely smell anything on my wrist.

Also, this is a unisex frangrance and I know why; anybody can rock vanilla. I don't dislike this scent but I don't find much interesting in it compared to say Versace the Dreamer or Le Male (I would say it is close to Le Male's dry down).

I will pass on this one even with the cheap prices on Ebay.

Erolfa by Creed

Definitely a scent to wear during summertime. It is like a wave that crash on the seaside and hits you with billions of little drops. It is ozonic, fresh, salty, windy. Probably the best marine scent out there.
    I can immagine it worn by Sonny Crockett of Miami Vice.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A very unique scent. To me it is too much rainy, earthy and grassy. Orange presence is strong.
    It reminds me of a died tree that lies in a wood after a rainy day.
    Anyway I received lots of compliments when I wear this.

pearlfingering's avatar

Tiempe Passate by Antonia's Flowers

This is a simple, pleasant fragrance from a niche perfumer who enjoys great popularity in New York. The rose is barely distinguishable; the top notes are fleeting. It is a safe choice for the office or humid summer months. Because of the old-fashioned name, this perfume reminds me of when Al Pacino was married for a minute in Godfather II to Appolonia. Though Antonia Ballenca had her grandparents in mind when she created this, it is more the scent of a summer fling... a chaste one.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

Am describing the 30ml parfum version...

Fantastic oriental scent with a beautiful blend of rose, amber, vanilla and spices...

Although might come across as feminine initially, am comfortable wearing it along with my handbag of testosterone...

Fantastic longevity and adequate sillage.

Delighted to have found such a jewel...

Big thumbs up...!

26 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 December, 2010)

ChristopherG's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This is the first fragrance in a long while that made my eyes widen, and mouth say 'wow.. I must own this'. I'm not ashamed to say that my mother loves it just as much as I do, and often she will grab the bottle and use it herself.

Green/Brown, complex, perfectly blended. I love the opening so much, but even the dry down gives off the same vibe. I am on the hunt for fragrances that give me the same effect.

26 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2010)

ChristopherG's avatar

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

I'm on my second bottle now, and even though I might not buy it again for a long while, I think it's definitely worth a try. I've always used it in cooler weather, and it seems to retain its longevity and projection well.

I still remember the TV commercial with Massive Attack's 'Angel' playing. Ah, memories...
    Anyways, I haven't really smelled anything similar. To be fair though, I've only recently delved deeper into the world of fragrances.

26 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2010)

Virgin Island Water by Creed

This is a scent that I use only few times during very hot summer days, when I am at the sea.
    I can' t imagine other places and other times good enought for it.
    It smells like a day spent on the beach. Cocoa milk, rhum and sun.
    A Soak up the sun scent that let me have compliments from people.
    The question is: why to spend so much money for a perfume pretty close to the same aroma of many beach suntan lotions?

26 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2011)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Safe, Clean, Fresh, some kind of grass, green and many flowers on it. The best drowdone I have ever smell on a scent, too.
    When I wear GIT I close my eyes and I feel like I am in Ireland in the Cliffs of Moher on a rainy foggy day and on a wet grass, rich of fresh flowers. Down there the sea waves hitting the rocks.
    The things I don't like about GIT is that it lasts few hours on me, you have to be really close to detect it and ok, I really really love it, but I never had received much compliments for it.
    C' mon, it's a Creed!
    Anyway amazing scent, really. To me it is a masterpiece, never bore me.

26 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

firehorse's avatar

Gaiac 10 by Le Labo

I managed to score a sample of this from the NYC store.

This woody fragrance is somehow watery and dry at the same time. It's sweet, powdery ceder with a tiny bit of pepper to my nose. It's very quiet and kind of fragile, and I have to bring my nose to my wrist to smell it, yet it lasts on my skin for a long time.

I absolutely love it - 5 stars, have been obsessing on it for over 3 months now and want a full bottle of this.

26 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

Antaeus by Chanel

My friend from work introduced me to this fragrance a few weeks ago. He's an 80's guy, and I always made fun about him about dressing up so 80's. After I smelled this cologne, it made me think different about the 80's. This Chanel cologne is so unique, and different from any cologne that I have used today. It's a very masculine smell, and all the chicks in the office find this a very sexy and seductive fragrance. So after these chicks opinion, I decided to find this cologne at Macy. Unluckily, I did not find this fragrance. I believe this cologne is discontinued in the United States. I checked out Perfumania and found this cologne sitting on the shelf with a 30% off the retail price ($70) for the 3.4 oz. What a good deal. Now when i wear this cologne, it makes me feel like a millionaire, and the chicks digs it.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Ok, so I decided to buy this cologne a few days ago. I decided to go with the smallest size (1 oz). I want to trial this cologne first before buying the big bottle. The initial spray on my skin was like whoooooooo! that was sweet! kind of like taking a bite out of a giant size dark chocolate candy bar. All I could think of is Willy Wonka! I just got the Golden Ticket! I didn't think I would like this cologne, but after about an hour it started to settled down. It's still a very sweet smell, but I can begin to smell the other notes in the background. Very nice and sweet. Overall I would say this is low thumbs up fragrance for the winter. The logevity and projection is great too.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I got this cologne a few weeks ago. I sprayed a sample on my arm from Perfumania, and then walked out. The initial smell was very weird. So I started walking around the mall for about 30 min. I was hungry, so I decided to get a grab to eat at the food court. While eating my Panda Express (Orange Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken and Fried Rice) I took a sniffed on my arm, and I was like wow! this is a great cologne. It's very unique. Sweet, spicy, and very unique. I know this cologne has been out for a while, but the plaided bottle is not very attracted, so I never tried it out. After my lunch at Panda Express, I walked back to Perfumania, and I said can i get a bottle of the Burberry London? The cute sales lady asked me which size I want? I was like, I'll take the biggest size you got there please babe. She was llike nice choice...good news for you too..you get 30% off this cologne...so I paid for the Burberry London and told her thank you and happy holidays...Overall I give this cologne a 2 thumbs up! and would have to say this is my favorite cold weather cologne.