Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

change1's avatar
    change1

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I got this cologne a few weeks ago. I sprayed a sample on my arm from Perfumania, and then walked out. The initial smell was very weird. So I started walking around the mall for about 30 min. I was hungry, so I decided to get a grab to eat at the food court. While eating my Panda Express (Orange Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken and Fried Rice) I took a sniffed on my arm, and I was like wow! this is a great cologne. It's very unique. Sweet, spicy, and very unique. I know this cologne has been out for a while, but the plaided bottle is not very attracted, so I never tried it out. After my lunch at Panda Express, I walked back to Perfumania, and I said can i get a bottle of the Burberry London? The cute sales lady asked me which size I want? I was like, I'll take the biggest size you got there please babe. She was llike nice choice...good news for you too..you get 30% off this cologne...so I paid for the Burberry London and told her thank you and happy holidays...Overall I give this cologne a 2 thumbs up! and would have to say this is my favorite cold weather cologne.

oroboros72's avatar
    oroboros72

Couture Couture by Juicy Couture

It's funny how childhood memories play a big role in how we react to scents. smelling couture couture, I am instantly reminded of this grape-flavored cough syrup, Dimetapp, that my mom made me drink. Basically all fake-grape scents, candies, and sodas just strike me as disgusting. (I recently felt this way even more strongly with Harajuku lovers wicked style LOVE, which is 100% grape).
    Couture Couture starts out like grape cough syrup, but that fades and what is left after 30 minutes is a creamy amber and sandalwood that isn't unpleasant, but smells very masculine to me. Not bad, but not feminine either.

menyc's avatar
    menyc

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

I love Hinoki. Fresh, crisp, woodsy. Very clean, ad yes a bit cypressy (i love) and like all CdG fragrances - a little goes a long way and has hours of return. Anyone that gets a 'urine crossed with xmas' feel from this needs therapy or at least watch that one law/order svu santa episode, because you are episodical.

onceling's avatar
    onceling

Vanillary by Gorilla Perfume

This smells like cat pee to me and no matter what I do, it doesn't smell like anything else. I've tried the solid and the spray. I actually own the solid.

When it's on my skin and when I sniff the bottle this is just 100% pee to me. Just like sticking your head in the cat litter pan. It gets worse as it progresses on my skin. It just becomes stale old pee like a mens washroom at a pub.

Disgusting!

necrosero's avatar
    necrosero
    Romania Romania

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I just received Quorum, and I had very, very high expectations from it. I am NOT disappointed. I was afraid that it would smell too "old" and 50+ like, but my worries vanished as soon as I sprayed it on my wrist. It smells so... organic and warm and masculine, I can't quite describe the smell, as I am not an expert, but damn it smells good! Something appropriate for the 25+ in my opinion, for a grown man, but not too brash to be worn by a more timid type of person, it gives them attitude. Now, 2 hours after the initial application, it is still going strong. I smell something green, leathery and with an attitude. I certainly don't smell any tobacco at this moment. Maybe later it will change. It is a wonderful blind buy and I am not disappointed that I bought Quorum. THUMBS UP!

komak123's avatar
    komak123
    Poland Poland

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

Strong, green well balanced and def. unisex citrus. Very outdoorsy. Best thing about it is the apothecary bottle. Can work well for the office but imho it is best for outdoor activities - walking your dog in the park etc. Longevity and projection 3/5. It lasts on me for about 4-6 hours with 4 sprays. Highly non-offensive.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I think that Egoiste would be better classified as an Woody Oriental Fragrance than a Spicy one. And this would explain why Egoiste generates love or hate reactions. He`s a good oriental one, very close to what you would see in a oriental marketed for women`s.Egoiste is based on Bois Noir, a commercial flop from Chanel that was launched in 1987 and only available for a short time at Chanel stores. The original Bois Noir was more focused on the sandalwood creamy and sweet aroma, while Egoiste is more complex and less round on that specific facet. The opening is itself already sweet and woody, because of the Brazilian Rosewood aroma, and the sweetness is softned by the lavender. The middle notes seems to create a contrast of a dry-flowery aroma and a dried fruit impression, while the heart note is a complex combination of amber, vanilla and sandalwood with some tobacco in it. Egoiste is rich, with a dandy aura that men are not used, and that shocks you on the first time you smell it. The more you wear it, though, you see how unique and quality stuff is this. Egoiste, compared to Bois Noir, has more complexity and a intensified dandy aura. Both are awesome, but i think i still prefer Bois Noir smooth aroma and the legibility of its aroma. But, considering that it`s almost impossible to find it, Egoiste is a respectable heir of it.

njigga's avatar
    njigga

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Its a good fragrance but easy to get sick of it

njigga's avatar
    njigga

Ricci Ricci by Nina Ricci

doesn't suit me..always pair it with other perfumes so don't really know about its longevity

change1's avatar
    change1

Gravity by Coty

I used to wear this in high school back when it first came out in the 90's. I didn't know anything about fragrance, and thought it was great. One day I sprayed too much on me, and got sick from it. Now when I take a wiff of this stuff, I feel like puking. Overall, this is a very bad cologne, and will make you sick if you sprayed too much on you.

Mar Azul's avatar
    Mar Azul
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Pi by Givenchy

Boozy vanilla and spice oriental concoction, aged the way liquors age: its sweetness is a smoky sweetness. Benzoin works perfectly here, adding incense character to the fragrance, but it's a 'liquid incense' as opposed to 'dry incense'.
    Thick aromatic liquid, this is what it is. It creates a thick dreamy layer over your own persona though; then you'll certainly have to deal with it, move within it, speak through it. Better than Jaipur. Groundbreaking.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Guilty by Gucci

A warm and fuzzy oriental that wears snuggly on a girl who probably just bought her very first Gucci. Nothing complicated here - fruity top, floral heart and oriental base. I don't particularly enjoy the gratingly synthetic fruity accord but on the skin GUILTY swiftly develops into a sweet mildly floral talc.

If you are contented wearing something 'nice and pleasant', I don't think you should feel guilty about wearing this. But I'd feel guilty if I don't highlight a similar but far superior version. It's called Chance, by Chanel.

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

No. 19 by Chanel

There are more versions of this fragrance than I care to contemplate. The original was a shockingly green floral & brittle leather. I could not envision wearing it at the time. It was heartless and cruel. The reissue that I sampled from The Perfumed Court, my least favorite version, is a green No 5. The limited edition edp from the Chanel website is a very soft (maybe too soft) green floral suede that wears close to the skin. It is beautiful and approachable and the easiest to wear. It captures the idea of the original without really smelling like the original, much like the new Bois des Iles compared with the old Bois des Iles. The limited edition edt is brighter & greener than the edp but still very friendly. All versions of the pure parfums echo their counterparts but are deeper and richer. Nevertheless, all are worth sampling. Overall, I give this fragrance (these fragrances) 4 stars.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Gucci Flora by Gucci

The negative reviews are clearly directed at the EDT. The EDP is a different creature altogether. The citrus is still muted, but the florals are amped up, way up, with a texture that feels surprisingly petal-like and velvety to me. While I found it hard to pick out the rose or the peony, I must say the osmanthus adds an interesting accent to the central floral accord which may come off sweet at times but always intensely floral, if not a little crude. And with its amazing sillage, astute applications of FLORA would probably leave more than a few guys bewitched in its lovely trail. I know I was.

ptolgyes's avatar
    ptolgyes

Matchabelli by Prince Matchabelli

I'm just getting into aftershaves and found a bottle in the bathroom of Matchabelli that my godfather (US) used to wear and the last time he was in Hungary was in 1994.

In the 16-20 years half of the aftershave disappeared from the bottle. I just checked it and it's definitely stronger than it used to be. I don't think I'll ever use it, but it brought back some memories... :)

tonysoprano100's avatar
    tonysoprano100
    Chile Chile

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

This new fragance of Hermes is something chic and well made.

This is perfect for a cosmetic bag of a business class airline seat.....Not jocking, something fresh, relaxing and spetial too.

I recommend it for people who work in offices and dont want to offend co-workers, for small places,etc....

After the gym, for to travel, for to go to the church, for spetial moments....this is so versatile!

I bought 2 bottles of 100 ml spray in 78 usd each in a sale...Good price for this new product.

Longevity is average and sillage is a little bit bad....Subtle, in elegant words.

seatonica's avatar
    seatonica

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

Well put miss mills, let me second that! A beautiful fragrance, sadly discontinued.

KillerScent's avatar
    KillerScent

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

This fragrance is very formal, not very sexy but elegant, classy .
    Before trying it, I thought it would smell closer to feminine scents just because of the vanilla and ambar notes, but I was surprised.The overall scent remains manly from the beginning to the dry down.
    It's not a fresh fragrance, I find it very dry and crispy, and maybe a bit dark.The vanilla accord is pleasant and not overdosing, very well crafted. I would not say it's a gourmand.
    Longevity and sillage is not very impressive to be an eau de parfum , I expected something better.
    Anyway, this is a good fragrance , a new modern classic. Thumbs up!!!

KillerScent's avatar
    KillerScent

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

This is a softer version of the original Fahrenheit, with a fresh opening and a smooth dry down .
    The leather/petroleum note is not as strong as in the original, which makes it more pleasant to wear.
    Overall it's a good fragrance , very oriental and hot, more suitable for winter, not very sexy, but different from many others, like its older version.

Rosabell's avatar
    Rosabell
    Romania Romania

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

this is very yukie and smells like cheap medicine, carmol and vomit

jayjupes's avatar
    jayjupes

Design by Paul Sebastian

it is like bug spray. not sharp but that scent is definitely there. it's something that i know i shouldn't like, but i do.

just clean in a dull way. inoffensive. comforting in its wink of cleanliness. there is civet there but not in a raucous way. an almost peppery public bathroom cleanser.

none of this sounds like a reason to buy it, and i probably won't again, i was just bored in walmart and grabbed the mini.

PrincessPaulina's avatar
    PrincessPaulina

Arabian Nights - Pure Oud by By Kilian

Fore me, there is definitely a fine line between love and hate!

My experience with Pure Oud has been symbolic of my experience with the Kilian line in general: at 1st my senses are extremely offended by the fragrance, then I suddenly do a complete 180 from hatred to total obsession and addiction.

I remember the 1st time I sampled Pure Oud at a local "fragrance bar" boutique: I actually felt anger towards the salesperson for making me tryl it! The punch-in-your face opening brought images of nuclear waste. refuse, oil or gas to my mind! Luckily, I discovered the sample card in my purse on the way home, by which time scent had fully unfurled - and oh, what a difference! The whirlwind of smells had settled into a gorgeous symphony! I became obsessed with this sample card for the next 3 days, keeping it hidden away in my closet where I went to smell "my preciousssss" periodically. Llike Gollum, obsessed with possessing the magic ring in Lord of the Rings, I had to own this magical fragrance! Unable to afford the entire bottle, I bought some decanted.

It is interesting for me to note that this is a unisex fragrance, and that many of the reviewers are male. Not that a male couldn't wear this scent (on the contrary!) But my personal experience wearing this fragrance - as a petite and very feminine woman - was a fantastic reaction from the opposite sex!

Perhaps not every girl could get away with wearing Kilian's Pure Oud: confidence, mystery, and a slight Vampish edge are all important qualities to pull this off (in my opinion). But done right, a very handsome man has been known to remark wistfully that he "could follow that scent anywhere!" Kilian may be expensive, but sentiments such as these are absolutely priceless! So worth it!

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

You can tell in an instant that Ormonde Man is exquisitely and uniquely composed, and destined for the kind of guy who can appreciate an understated approach to luxury; this is the olfactory equivalent to London neighborhoods like South Kensington, Chelsea or Belgravia.

And the scent itself? The enchanted forest of my dreams would smell like this! Imagine cool forest air spiked with the ever-so-slight sweetness of dried pine needles. The notes of pepper, juniper and oudh spice things up nicely, creating an overall effect that is so very far from run-of-the-mill. Regarding longevity, Off-Scenter remarked that things could be better; he’s right. For an eau de parfum concentration, this is a wee bit light. But overall it’s still well within the boundaries of acceptable. Not too long ago I had two separate compliments on Ormonde Man, both were in the late afternoon, after having applied the scent in the early morning, so I guess longevity is at least OK, if not better.

No exaggeration: This is by far one of the most memorable, pleasant and wearable masculines I've ever come across; so very mellow in all the right ways. It’s got a subtle warmth reminiscent of the diffused light of a Tiffany lamp, i.e. warmth from within.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

Luna / Moon by Ramon Molvizar

The package is beautiful, the fragrance has white gold floating on the juice, and the combination seems very expensive. In fact, seems so expensive that you wonder if they spend almost all the budget of the project on it. Romaon Molvizar Luna has a pleasant aroma, but merely pleasant, nothing so original or that matches it's exclusive price, bottle and gold inside of it. The fragrance is a light, cottony musk, a little bit linear, but with a good longevity and sillage on skin. The musk smells creamy, white, airy and it's matched by something slightly citrusy at first, which develops to a pleasant milk-spice confection. My advice here is to test it first and to make sure that if you don't have something better to spend almost 200 dollars, cause my opinion is that buying luna may be a regretful choice in the future, considering how little it has to offer in terms of fragrance. Unless you are rich, collect bottles and don't care to pay more to the presentantion than to the content inside of it.

RickieHK's avatar
    RickieHK

Photo by Lagerfeld

too perfumey for my taste for a man's cologne , it could be worse..the citrus scent is ok. I haven't worn it for a long time.

RickieHK's avatar
    RickieHK

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

I smelled this scent on a woman at church, i liked it so much i asked her what it was. i loved the faint floral scent emanating from her.....smells great! I'm not sure of what flowers were used in its make up if i had to guess I would say a touch of carnation with a hint of lilac and??? She said she only uses it sparingly but....very nice.

27 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Colden by Abercrombie & Fitch

Colden is just another ambery woody musk. Smells like a chock full of other men's fragrances on the market today like those Hollister colognes or CK Euphoria, yes. Might work for a high schooler, doesn't do anything for me. Average longevity and sillage.

27 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

pearlfingering's avatar
    pearlfingering

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

There is an old movie with Tony Randall and Debbie Reynolds called The Mating Game. In the film, Tony Randall is the most promising "bird dog" at the IRS sent to investigate an ornery family who refuse to deal in cash and only barter. Debbie Reynolds is their wild, cheerful, tomboyish teenage daughter who pistol whips the neighborhood boys and rides her horses hell for leather. Of course, it is love at first sight for Tony Randall, especially when the family gets him drunk on good bourbon and sends in Debbie Reynolds, wearing a charming pink dress that accentuates her tiny waist (she was down to 90 pounds in this movie following her famous divorce from Eddie Fisher) and a French perfume of her mother's called "Orgy" (pronounced hilariously with a hard G.) In my mind, Miss Dior Cherie smells like this. Rambunctious, yet ladylike. Chic and unpretentious. Innocent, yet wise because she was brought up well. Kindhearted and mischievous. Like Tony Randall, you might wonder why you like it so much and suspect you've lost your mind. It's pure Frankenberry at first. But it is a well done fruity chypre. If it helps you any, Christina Applegate and Dolly Parton are fans.

27 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

Drakkar Noir......heh, sorta.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods is less about woods and more about lavender. A clean, rugged lavender note gives it a bit of a "soapy" smell. A real "meat and potatoes man" fragrance, this has the most balls out of all the Abercrombie fragrances. The lavender note is soon joined by a detectable but not intrusive note of cumin; my least favorite fragrance note. The cumin disappears, the lavender stays, and some ACTUAL woods and spices join in for the base.

My brother has worn Woods since it came out in the late 90's, I remember it being discontinued, and now it's back. For the price, it projects well, but the longevity is just average. Why is Woods only an Eau de Cologne?

Maybe Abercrombie & Fitch could make an Eau de Parfum concentration of their best men's fragrance?

27 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2011)

awesomeness's avatar
    awesomeness

20 Carats by Dana

WOW! I can't believe how much I like this!

The lineage of 20 Carats to Tabu is clear. They are sisters. 20 Carats is an oriental that is a bit lighter and brighter, but still has that same spicy edge as Tabu. More floral than Tabu, but still spicy. Even with the bottle that I have, there is a bit of citrus on top, but 20 Carats is all spicy powder with cinnamon. It has the same rootbeer note as Tabu but it's not as pronounced. It pick up patch & musk but 20 Carats does not have the same animalistic presence as Tabu.

I got 20 Carats and Tabu from the same estate. Both are 3 oz vintage spray colognes in the rubber bottles with the funky shaped sprays. Tabu is in the black bottle, 20 carats in the cream bottle. I'm guessing that they both date to the 1930s. My 20 carats is "blended in the USA with imported essences." Bottle is numbered 3283. I feel lucky to have found her and her bigger sister, Tabu, which were owned - but never worn - by the same woman.

27 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 February, 2011)