Latest Perfume Reviews

Shooting Stars: Nio by Xerjoff

This makes me think of 4711 cologne, only with way bigger cajones. And waaaaay better lasting power. This has such a lovely fresh, cool feel to it. Zesty, zingy bergamot, tempered by the warmth of the amber, sweetened ever so slightly by the jasmine and with a delicious kick from the cardamom and pink pepper – so, so good. Imagine you’re hiking up a thickly wooded mountain; the trees tower overhead, you can see the sun peeking through the canopy, can feel its warmth, but on the ground, the last lingering bits of the early morning mist swirl around your feet as you walk. The air feels cool and fresh on your hot face as you hike higher and higher, and then you find it – a sparkling pool of crystal clear, ice-cold water, fed from a spring further up the mountain. You scoop up a big handful of water and splash it on your face, enjoying the way it makes your skin tingle, then you eagerly gulp down handful after handful, feeling its coolness all the way down. That’s what this makes me feel like – it’s so deliciously cool and fresh and bracing. Damn this is good. This is destined to remain on my wish list though – the price is a tad scary.

Habit Rouge Dress Code by Guerlain

An orangey citrus, freshened up with whiffs of neroli and endowed with a rather nonspecific floral undertone. This is quite a pleasant mix of top notes, but on my skin they are not particularly memorable.

The drydown adds a very subdued spicy backgound notes, which is combined with a somewhat generic woodsy layer that, again, reeks of unexciting but agreeable pleasantness.

Later on, after a rather forgettable attempt at a leather impression, the base announces itself by parading a sweetish tonka impression that constitutes the core chord; together with whiffs of cocoa powder, at times still linked to the restrained background spiciness, they set the tone for the second half of the development.

The performance is impressive, with moderate sillage, excellent projection and a superb longevity of thirteen hours on my skin.

A sweetened autumnal gourmandised and rather synthetic flanker that is quite generic overall and really does not do great credit to the original, at least not the original vintage pre-LVMH version. 2.75/5.

Oud Stars : Al-Khatt by Xerjoff

A fruity + jasmine (indolic) + barnyard smell. Excellent stuff.

I first put it on, I found it okay.

BUT!.. shortly after, wow! Awesome fragrance, and I was sold based on the sample. Got a full bottle shortly after.

Probably my favorite Xerjoff so far.

Cabochard by Grès

For those that find Tuberose laden Bandit a little hard to take, Cabochard provides the Leathery Bitter Green delight. The Rose, especially in Vintage is extraordinarily and beautifully set against an Oakmoss canvas.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Even though they only have one note in common, for some reason Santal Noble reminds me of Cadavre Exquis, except Santal Noble is a much less ‘in your face’ fragrance. Thinking I might be losing my mind, I asked my husband to smell each of them and he agreed that there is a similarity, but the Santal Noble was much more restrained. Spiced vanilla coffee and sandalwood with a big dash of patchouli, warmed up by the amber. This is good stuff.

#3 Notes of Cabernet by Kelly & Jones

Notes of Cabernet? In this juice are there specific Cabernet notes or just "wine/alcohol" notes? I would say it is a berry type smell which overall is well done and does a good job of smelling of Cabernet without having an "alcohol wine smell" coming from your skin. I would say it leans WAY more feminine than male or unisex IMO. Longevity 5 hours projection maybe 2 hours. Overall a slight thumbs up. Enjoy!

Cabochard by Grès

This review is for the current EDP, which is widely available at an unbelievably low price for a classic - albeit heavily redacted - fragrance. Cabochard is often compared to Bandit and Azuree, and indeed they are very similar (especially in the drydown); but to my nose it smells more like the current excellent reformulation of Magie Noire, which is more floral than Bandit and Azuree. Cabochard still has its leathery and smoky edge, though. It opens very sharp and green, and mellows into a satisfying modern chypre (i.e. no oakmoss, what an oxymoron!). It retains its structure throughout many hours on my skin, with a healthy sillage. Of course, like most current reformulations, Cabochard EDP isn't as robust as its vintage predecessor - but it's still quite good.

Dot by Comme des Garçons

What is this?

Ok, at Commes Des Garçons they're not just responsible for daring and artsy stuff, they also provided us with a plethora of easy to like / pop fragrances that have often set the bar for other mainstream brands to follow. Well, Dot doesn't belong in either of these cathegories. Nothing to do with the avant facets of, say, EDP 2011 (the one in the same melted bottle as Dot) or the plush florals of Luxe Champaca. Nothing to do with the abstractness of the original Stephen Jones. Nothing to do with the daring approach of Guerrilla 1. Dot is a complete failure. A disappointment.

A totally uninspired fruity floral with just a tinge of that metallic-incense base that's typical of several CDGs. Not enough character to stand out amongst the most daring deliveries from the house, not good enough to become one of those minor CDGs that while not shining for originality, they still can do the trick as safe-but-solid fragrances.

Too bad because the bottle is cute.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

The top notes consist of a somewhat nonspecific berry fruit mix, poured into a mixer and left standing for a while. There is a whiff of bergamot present at times, as a whiffs of peach. An overlying thin layer of aldehydes adds a fresh impression.

Later on, heading towards the heart notes, a touch of styrax combines with a medium-bright fairly light tuberose impression, with a gentle iris confirming to switch from being fruit-dominated towards floral heart notes; later strengthened by a violet tinge.

Then a very restrained and slightly creamy vanilla heralds the arrival of the base note phase. Through all its developement there is all was a well-behaved sweetness present, which is never strong, never intrusive and never cloying.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and an impressive eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

This is unusual spring creation, at times a bit generic, it develops over time into a subtle but very agreeable composition that is delicate and times and overall well balanced, albeit a bit lacking in intensity at times. The excellent performance lifts into the positive realm - if just by the skin of its teeth. 3/5.

Good Life by Davidoff

Stardate 20161024:

A cool water wannabe. I don't see the fuss here. One of the few cases where the decision to discontinue has been a wise one.
Buy cool water and be glad.

Noble VII Rock Rose by Clive Christian

This stuff’s dumber than hair but easy to like. What’s hilarious about it is that it smells like a merger of several bro-cheapies — a mashup of the original Varvatos, CK Shock / Euphoria, and at least one of the Zara scents too (the one that knocked of 1 Million) that morph into the same sickly-sweet base used in Armani's diabetes-inducing Myrrhe Impériale. Although I haven’t smelled the Varvatos or the CK scents in some time, they represent a fragrance “type” — which is exactly the mode this is working in, for a laughable $550. The scent: slightly fruity, tobacco-infused, bro-amber cut with a manly-man floral bouquet (GIT’s violet leaf, basically). Given the perfume's name, there's not much in the way of labdanum. Sugary, plump, blurred — pleasant enough but low-IQ. If it were priced around $70, I’d consider it an appealing albeit redundant contribution to saccharine masculines. At this price point, it’s a joke but one that’s consistent with the brand’s usual vulgarity. Cheap yet expensive.
24th October, 2016 (last edited: 25th October, 2016)

Incense Flash by Tauerville

Stardate 20161024:

A nice incense. It is very much like what the house of CdG would churn out. Avignon and Black are its cousin.
Nothing unpleasant - a plain and simple incense done well

Amber Flash by Tauerville

Stardate 20161024:

Starts out as a medicinal and pungent ambery thing. After couple hours it settles down to generic amber+tonka and that pungency is gone.
There are much better and cheaper ambers out there. Infact, the best Amber - Ambre Sultan can be had cheaper(per ml) if one waits.

Avoid this one.

Le Plus Beau Jour de Ma Vie by Guerlain

The opening with the mildly spicy sweet angelica is not bad, but this mix remains somewhat attenuated and dull on my skin. The drydown adds almonds with whiffs of fresh raisins.

The most interesting part of this composition follows a bit later on: The almond aroma remains, and is accompanied by a pleasant vanilla impression. Over time - over a very long time that is - the vanilla moves into the foreground and the almond aroma fades away gradually. Whilst the vanilla is the main accord, at times it is accentuated by fleeting whiffs of a gently spicy anise undertone; and a very restrained and soft white musky note is greeting me too from time to time.

The performance is splendid, with moderate sillage, excellent projection and a stupendous longevity of sixteen hours on my skin.

The first part of this autumnal creation - good for colder days and evenings - is quite nice, but certainly not particularly brilliant. The second, the vanilla-centred longest part on the other hand, is well executed. The minimally powdery, smooth and elegantly creamy vanilla-based core chord has characteristics that at times remind me of the infamous Guerlinade, but a slimmer, lighter but less complex and less textured and simplified contemporary version of it.

Whilst then first parts are a bit flat and hovering at the border between neutral and positive, and whilst this is definitely not the scent pour le plus beau jour de ma vie, the virtues of the later stages push it - just - across the line into positive territory. For the vanilla lover. 3/5.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Sweet citrus, almost too sweet and fruity, like a candy perfume that some might not take seriously, but I love it, especially the opening.

He Wood Ocean Wet Wood by Dsquared2

Dsquared2 He Wood Ocean Wet Wood is an extremely cedary-marine salty/frozen synth accord which smells surely more than acceptable in its mainstream (nowadays urban-metrosexual) infamous genre. Fortunately the cedary presence is never "beyond the limit" and the marine aura is quite dominant. I tend to dislike saltiness but surely I'm better "projected" (more inclined) to cope with ozonic saltiness than with an arid synth cedary "miasma". Yes, a quite mainstream accord (violet, sporty patchouli, cedar, aromatic herbs and ozonic patterns plus a finally soothed resinous-salty woodiness), something in the middle between a whichever Canali Men, a common cool Montblanc Emblem, a melony-marine Bottega Verde Uomo and a more straightforward super sharp ozonic-marine (calone-iso e super-linalool-galaxolide-dominant)
metallic new-generation release. I detect as well something vaguely floral and fruity in the air (fruity more than floral, something conjuring me vaguely the crude melon's taste). The still extremely salty dry down is finally less sharp and slightly smoother (the warmer side of the moon) with its touch of tonka bean-ambergris and several further soothing resinous elements. Not bad but something you'd hardly catch on my attractive :-) skin of southern virile italian fellow.
23rd October, 2016 (last edited: 24th October, 2016)

Emblem by Montblanc

Another fresh bold "frozen-ozonic" accord of violet, "icy spices" and cedarwood. Montblanc Emblem is spicy, bold, "frozen" and virile (a scent in the middle between Bottega Verde Uomo, He Wood Ocean Wet Wood, Bvlgari Man Extreme, the new Trussardi Uomo and a whichever more straightforward marine accord). There is a typical metallic-"frozen" aromatic undertone (grapefruit, frozen/salty patterns, sporty patchouli, aromatic greens, cardamom) rendered out "more intense" (more consistent" by hints of synthetic ambergris and cool woodiness. A final whiff of salty suede closes the round.
23rd October, 2016 (last edited: 24th October, 2016)

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Stardate 20161023:

Sugar and spice and everything nice.
And this one has good spices (none of that chritmasy shite).
The Vanilla and Balsam give the sweetness without making it cloying.

A perfect scent for this Fall

DKNY Delicious Delights Fruity Rooty by Donna Karan

Orange, blackberry - the fruit - and apple notes: sweetish, not really very sweet, with added nonspecific florals in the drydown, and overall quite generic.

The base continues the generic theme, with a musky vanilla that is rather pale

The sillage is moderate, the projection adequate and the longevity six hours.

Even for this line it is very synthetic and generic. Frolicking without substance and even that is not convincingly executed. 1.75/5.

Nobile by Gucci

This is a nice lavender fragrance, a typical men's grooming smell. Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant is similar, from memory. At times this one grabs me, other times it feels almost too familiar and restrained; light and polite to make a nice office fragrance, but perhaps missing a sufficient hook to keep me interested, despite the long list of notes; but definitely a safe option for a formal event to smell clean and refined.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Well, this one has me stumped. This was a free sample with purchase, one I requested specifically for its notes as I have a thing for chocolate scents. All I can say is that if I’d purchased a full bottle based on the notes, I’d be feeling pretty ripped off right about now, and pretty damn angry. I don’t get any chocolate or vanilla or amber or musk. There’s a weird, sharp note, like a crushed tomato plant stem. I get a bit of the chili pepper with a faint hint of a (very old) cinnamon stick and some dusty old cloves – ones that have escaped from the packet and have been sitting in the bottom of the spice rack forever – and that’s it. And after a couple of minutes, the scent is completely gone. I’ve re-applied three times, thinking maybe it was just weak and I needed to put on a bit more, but nope. I’d love to see what this is like on someone else, but on me, it’s just, well, nothing. I can’t even smell enough in this to make a call as to whether I like it or not – there’s just nothing there. Thinking it was maybe my skin chemistry, I asked my husband to try this one, and he could barely smell anything either, so maybe it is simply a bad sample. It’s a shame, because the notes in this all look so good. Definitely try before you buy. I’m giving this a neutral – unfair to give it a thumbs down if it is a bad sample. If I get the chance to try another sample and it’s different, I’ll update my review.

Davidoff by Davidoff

Stardate 20161022:

A Masculine powerhouse- Moss and Musk bomb.

A lot like Vermeil Pour Homme with a tad less patchouli. Might be redundant to own both.
And if you want to own one Vermeil might be the way to go as it is cheaper and available.

Lasts longs and projects well.

Nothing bad here and FBW but I don't think it deserves the veneration accorded to it by this board.

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

This scent is driving me crazy – it reminds me of something but I can’t think what! Maybe lemonade? I love that sharp zing you get when you peel an orange and you get the little bursts of juice from the peel. That’s what I get when I first spray this on. I also get a slightly green scent, with a hint of rose. I’m also getting the caramel. Really, this is such an unusual combination, what with all of those citrus notes with the caramel, but it works. And the cardamom adds a sort of spicy/herbal kick to this that I really like. It’s rather nice – this is another scent that would be great on a hot day after a nice cool shower, it’s so fresh smelling.

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Yum! I’m pretty sure this is what it would smell like if Serendipitous got it on with Montale Chocolate Greedy and they had a lovechild. Not as sweet as Serendipitous, not as smoky as Chocolate Greedy, and different enough that I will probably end up getting a full bottle at some stage, to add to my stable of chocolate scents. It’s got a nice toasted coconut edge to it too, even though coconut isn’t listed in the notes. I keep getting delicious wafts of this, and that’s just from a small dab on my arm from the sample bottle, which I put on over five hours ago. Actually, there’s no probably about it. This is a definite buy. Delicious!

Shalimar by Guerlain

I’m so glad I have this beauty in my stable finally! I’ve flirted with Shalimar for a long time, and really wanted to get it, and then by some major luck I was able to pick up a nice big bottle for an astonishingly good price, so I went for it. But really, what more can I say about this that hasn’t been said before? It’s a beautiful scent and I can understand why so many people love it. The sillage and longevity of this is amazing – I could still smell this after eight hours, and it’s one of those scents that seems to bloom if you get a bit warm. This is one of the few perfumes I have that has elicited an unprompted “oh, you smell nice!” from my husband. Normally I have to shove my arm under his nose and ask him to smell it before I’ll get a comment. Reading through the reviews, I’m amazed at how this perfume reacts with different people – some get leather, some get incense, some get spice, some get lemon. Each time I wear this, it is different. The first time I wore it, it was all soft powder with a touch of citrus. The next time, I got a big burst of citrus at the start, with a hint of leather, before it mellowed into a beautiful, soft, creamy powdery vanilla. The time after that, it was all powder and cream and vanilla, straight away. Shalimar smells sexy and very, very classy but at the same time, there is also something very comforting and approachable about it. It’s like you’re at a fancy party, and you see a stunningly beautiful, beautifully dressed, elegant woman – at first glance, she appears aloof, and you’re not sure if you should approach her. So you stay away, and instead she approaches you and flings her arms around you and greets you like a long-lost friend, and she’s so warm and friendly and welcoming that you wonder why you stayed away. I love it.

DKNY Delicious Delights Dreamsicle by Donna Karan

A fruity-fruity sweet opening: I get mandarin, peach and a raspberry mix, and if the sweetness meant vitamins, sniffing this would be a healthy popsicle feat indeed.

Interestingly, whilst this is unashamedly a sweet fragrance, its sweetness is never annoying or cloying.

In the drydown the peach, now with whiffs of sweet apple juice attached that nmbkend in well; unfortunately the notes are less specific and less convincing than were the top notes. The base displays a rather generic woodsy note with an equally bland vanilla.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

For those who like their perfumes sweet, fruity, young, frivolous and sugary with some candy vibes, this spring scent is worth trying. Clearly nothing extraordinary and overly synthetic throughout, it is quite well executed otherwise and never heavy or intrusive. 2.5/5.

Kimono Rose by Bois 1920

I’ve tended to avoid rose perfumes, largely because growing up, most of the rose perfumes (and other products, for that matter) I came across were horrifyingly sickly sweet. Lately though, for different reasons, I’ve been making myself try more rose products, and I’ve been delightfully surprised. As a skin care product, I’ve got to say it can’t be beaten. And some of the modern rose perfumes I’ve come across have completely changed my mind about rose scents. They are light years away from those horrid, screechy, synthetic, sickly rose perfumes I remember from my childhood. This one here is a little gem. There is nothing synthetic or screechy about this – it’s lovely; a quiet, gentle, refined, soft rose. The bergamot and bamboo stop this from being too sweet, while the amber and cedar give this a beautiful warmth. Every time I take a sniff of this, I feel like I’m sitting in the centre of a big, plump, pink rose – not being overpowered by the scent, just gently surrounded by it. I wonder if that’s what bees feel like, when they’re going about their business in a rose garden? If this is what they get, then they’re lucky little guys. This is simply beautiful.

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Romeo Gigli is a sweet, smoky fragrance that took me a couple wearings to appreciate, although I'm not sure why. Something was throwing me off initially, the woods in the base, perhaps, were coming off as sour. I'm now finding it slightly similar in style to Chanel Allure Homme in the top and Chanel Egoiste in the base, both of which I like, and I appreciate the descriptions below of a plum smell!
21st October, 2016 (last edited: 22nd October, 2016)

Elvis by Elvis Presley by Frances Denney

Stardate 20161021:

A nice retro animalic the likes of Boss No 1.
Has a mish mash of notes - tea/tobacco, cider and animalic.
Longevity and projection not so great.

Cheap and decent.

If you like Boss no 1 , Madras, Giorgio BH you should try this out but these three (vintage version of course)are better imo

21st October, 2016

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

Beautiful opening, a much less animalic version of Kouros, and a completely different opening with delicious, masculine citrus, and quite different overall for a flanker, comfortably wearable and good for the office with a shaving cream or barber shop feel.
21st October, 2016