Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

everlast30's avatar

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

this scent is way too strong and overpowering, it smells like baby powder and way too feminin, i really can't see how a guy can wear this

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2011)

blueyezz's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I purchased this last year when it was released from the Paris boutique, briefly becoming available on the general market.

I was shopping with a friend and, never having tried it before myself, I told her about its sweaty thighs and unwashed reputation. She sprayed some on her arm, said “Hmmmm…” and promptly bought it.

Since then she has stopped wearing it as she finds it troubling.

Tania Sanchez describes it as “a lost-world fantasy of firelit palaces with the soupy sleepy warmth of two beneath a quilt”. In this lost-world, the king and queen smell of Bois Des Illes and everyone else smells of MKK. They share a deep ambery warmth - the civet in MKK reeks of toil in the stables whereas BdI is a story of opulence and decadent ease.

I don’t wear this fragrance out - I wear it to bed. It makes me feel warm and content. It smells of skin and fur, cozy and safe, with a human or animal smell that is comforting and familiar.

If this frag was a book it would by Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter.

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

scentual1's avatar

Paperback by Demeter Fragrance Library

After reading the positive reviews (and being a closet demeter fan) I went out and bought the Paperback scent. I was hoping to jump into my experience at Powell's used books in Oregon, a full city block sized used book store which has a unique, and interestingly alluring smell. I can only describe the smell of Powells as paper, mold, dust, mice, patchoull, and coffee, in that order. Paperback from demeter is more or less a pleasant scent, but as I am learning with this interesting line, not one to be taken literally. You really need to use your imagination here to smell a book. To me, it is vanilla forward with a eucalyptus/camphor finish. Interesting mix. A little like vanilla fields but less sweet. yet more papery/which I have now figured out is conveyed as powder. Interesting, and smart. I am going to give it a neutral, but am very slightly leaning towards thumbs up.

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2011)

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Stetson by Stetson

...makes me think of Brokeback Mountain?? Nevertheless quite nice for some occasions!

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

MOONB's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Ah, the woods of Portugal! What man can resist your incredible barbershop lavender? How pleasantly citrusy, woody, and dull you smell. Just let me shave and be happy.

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2011)

DerekLorimer's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Metal bottle is a beautiful object. The fragrance is very strong. A single spray is usually enough. It is an acquired taste but great when you are used to it. Recommended for special occasions or perhaps in winter.

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2011)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Roucel whips up a Jicky mousse.

I previously thought that the musk in Musc Ravageur was a peekaboo character, but since smelling CB I Hate Perfume Musk Reinvention and better sensitizing myself to this particular kind of musk, I now smell it without interruption in Roucel's Ravageur (no easy thing to describe, but this musk is more aldehydic-bleachy than musty-cumin-like).

Originally I was entranced by the unctuously creamy vanilla that holds gentle sway and for which Roucel offers delicate distractions to prevent it from becoming cloying: lavender, cloves, cinnamon, and a spritz of tangerine that proves an exquisite touch. The vanilla itself is like nougat for the nose, an exuberant, fantasy white chocolate that never becomes sickly. With the drydown emerge faint notes of gaiac and sandalwood, along with the potent musk in this scent of terrific longevity, and all afloat in a moreish almond milk that is all the more scrumptious – in fact, *able to be scrumptious* – for its total absence of florals.

Be it a 'streamlined oriental' or a 'gourmand musk', whatever you call it Musc Ravageur is the most mouthwatering vanilla out there.

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2011)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Khaliji by Al Rehab

Very special and unique scent. Very spicy, lots of cumin and cardamom on a musk base. Very linear, it smells almost the same from beginning to end, more spicy at first to finish more on a dominant oud note, but the change is minimal.
    If you like aquatics and/or AXE/LYNX body sprays, do not even attempt using this perfume. I would not recommend this perfume unless you are very comfortable with oud, spices and musky arabian perfumes in general, but if you do, this is magnificent.
    A vehement THUMBS UP without a doubt

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2014)

Weimar27's avatar

Premier Jour by Nina Ricci

Modern and sexy and if bland i'm not a fan of skin
    scents but this seems to be alright, opens green
    and woody with clean etchings of white gardenia. dries down sweet with vanilla and sweet pea I don't smell
    any orchids nor detect them but it has a beautiful musk
    drydown Basically there's not alot to say about this
    these are one of the self explanatory fragrances with
    the No Fuss No Muss kind of altitude with modern
    Perfumery nothing that screams out individuality.

apayne182's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

great scent as we all know and one of the safest out there. not offensive to the nose even though it is full of spice and you cant go wrong with it. I bought it blind and am happy I did. only problem is on my skin it doesnt project that well or last very long, maybe 4-6 hours. I still give it a thumbs up due to the smell and its relatively cheap so reapply isnt that big of a deal

apayne182's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

not much to say that hasnt been said. green, slightly sweet (you wont hate it if you like sweet scents, it just adds a little to the fragrance), good for all year, just amazing smell that i cant describe. my favorite scent

elliottbenzle's avatar

Tous Man by Tous

At first spray it is a nice uppity fragrance with a touch of femininity, especially the baby powder on the come down. While I prefer things a bit less sweet this is still a nice general wearing smell.

odysseusm's avatar

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Very, very sweet. Heavy, **dense**
    Fruity-spicy. Monstrous sillage. Tends towards the screechy-metallic-synthetic side of the red cloud.
    Simple, brash, unattractive verging on obnoxious.

SirSlarty's avatar

Zegna Colonia by Ermenegildo Zegna

Slightly floral, woodsy lemon cologne. Cool and crisp on first spray and dries into a warming woods. Very straightforward, simple and "safe" scent.

Royal English Leather by Creed

I'll probably get a wrath of scorn for this review, but here goes.

I tried Royal English Leather on both my skin and a card. All I smelled was a failed attempt at leather and a heavy porta-potty smell. "Royal English Leather"? Sorry, everyone.

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

My lord, this is beautiful! Freshly squeezed oranges with a delicate floral drydown and woody base. Totally unisex. Lasts for a very long time, too.

Definitely gonna buy this one when I get the chance!

Geir by Geir Ness

Geir, smells like Joop! Jump to me.

Or rather, Joop! Jump smells like Geir. Geir is a bit more discreet with florals to create its sweetness, but after smelling Joop! Jump so many times this is a smell that is burned into my nose hairs. I think I'll just stick with the Joop!.

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

Wow, what to say about Midnight Poison....

For me, it goes on sweet with prominent patchouli and rose, making it dark like "evil candy". However, I don't find it sickeningly sweet, and yes, a guy can wear it. As it dries down the sweetness becomes richer along with the patchouli and rose and it just lasts for hours. Midnight Poison is a dark and beautiful fragrance that both men and women can wear with ease. It is more masculine than most gourmands, anyway.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Violet leaf is an odd bird in the fragrance world. For instance, it makes Narciso Rodriguez smell like peanut butter on my skin. Peanut butter with a hint of bananas.

I love it.

Maximiliani's avatar

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Youth Dew is what immediately comes to mind when smelling this. It's like Youth Dew for men. But it predates Youth Dew by four years! Cinnamon and amber for sure, and almost is completely Youth Dewish if not for something that skews it in the masculine or unisex direction.. can't put my finger on it. Less rose, less white flowers? More spices/herbs? Can't say.

I'm quite sure my grandmother wore Youth Dew, which may be why I like this fragrance as it does suggest Youth Dew for me, and I'm sure many people's mother and grandmothers also wore Youth Dew, hence I'm sure people might cringe at trying a cologne that smells like their grandmother, but for me I don't really care, it's spices and is rather different enough from it that it can be safely worn. Really, I think you just need the right skin for it, reading the reviews on here, I think different skin compositions certainly bring out different notes, and the notes I get are really nice.

Kind of like a cashmere sweater really.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The Infidels by Agonist

I like Åsa Jungnelius, though I don't think the perfume bottles are among the better things she's done. As for the perfume, it's wonderful. It's been a long time since I smelt something so... old-fashioned. I mean that in the best possible way of course! The Infidels smells like some classic from Guerlain or Caron or possibly like something newer by Mona di Orio. So rich and warm and deep, it smells like its made of the best natural extracts with not a care for budget or regulations. So what does it smell like? Well, a very tart and natural-smelling blackcurrant note adds originality. Then there's a more spicy than racy cumin note and it's all resting on a woody-ambery oriental base. But notes or types can't begin to describe it - try it!

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

What a disappointment! Bleu is a pleasant but very ordinary fragrance, which is neither original or anything special. Bleu's citrus (mainly grapefruit), sandalwood and subtle spice notes have been done many times before. Neither sophisticated or memorable; I would have expected more from Chanel.

gimmickal's avatar

Romania Romania

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

If I had three words to describe this scent, they would be: manly, green & sexy. This really is a niche fragrance in a designer bottle.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Red No. 1584 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

I was fully expecting Elixir Red to play out like a watery clone of a popular fragrance 're-imagined' on a budget after wearing Elixir Black, which is basically a pleasant yet pale shadow of John Varvatos. It is nothing of the sort. I had been pouring through reviews and directories trying to find a scent of similar construction that I might find the 'original,' but now I'm not sure there ever was one. The closest I could come in my own experience was Xeryus Rouge, but all of the odd coldness and the off-putting strangeness has been banished. Fun note - It's the only full masculine in the BN directory with redcurrant listed in the notes.
    Elixir Red is an utterly pleasant spicy fruit creation that feels and smells warm as it rises from the body. The spices, probably pepper and cardamom, work with the fig and redcurrant (which are quite evident) to create a sharp opening that pushes just hard enough to be interesting and stops just before it reaches annoying. Red doesn't evolve much, merely lessens as time wears on, and projects several inches for some time until it has diminished to a vaguely spicy-sweet woody skin scent many hours later. I got this on sale for $10 at Bath and Body works and I like it enough to keep in my rotation. I am nearly in shock.

Izzy's avatar

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

This kinda reminds me of the Paco Rabanne classic, the green bottle. Smells like rompope, a Spanish holiday drink.

thebeck's avatar

Musc Maori 04 by Parfumerie Generale

My Wife has been wearing this for 3 years now. She gets compliments whenever she wears it. I love smelling her when she wears it. It's simply an addictive fun, sexy scent.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Ailleurs et Fleurs by Different Company

Bigarade orange and neroli up top. A tuberose at heart. Along with a timid little musk follows a lifeless drydown of the indistinct white floral variety. Initially pretty; then pretty dull.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

You have no idea what I had to go through to review this fragrance. Grinding my nose on the cheese grater would probably hurt less. Who cares if they have listed violet, pepper, cedar or the secretions of a chimera? GUCCI by GUCCI pour Homme is harshly chemical and as screechy as a monkey in labor. The fragrance equivalent of nails across the chalkboard.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

Yet another fresh, clean-smelling unisex edt. I simply don't understand the obsession with smelling clean when daily showers should be taking care of that department. Other than the rather quaint floral tea accord in the middle, the rest of the fragrance is dull and too synthetic for me to enjoy. Smells cheap even. The sticker price could be better spent on a decant of a vintage from Chanel, Guerlain or even Estee Lauder. But if you must wear a Burberry, wear Burberry for Women.