Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

Yet another fresh, clean-smelling unisex edt. I simply don't understand the obsession with smelling clean when daily showers should be taking care of that department. Other than the rather quaint floral tea accord in the middle, the rest of the fragrance is dull and too synthetic for me to enjoy. Smells cheap even. The sticker price could be better spent on a decant of a vintage from Chanel, Guerlain or even Estee Lauder. But if you must wear a Burberry, wear Burberry for Women.

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

As with many RL releases, the top notes got my attention within the first minute, coming across refreshingly dark green, cypress-like, with hints of spice. Synthetic in feel though not overly so, with an easy-going masculine profile that many would find appealing, ROMANCE SILVER MEN sort of reminds me of Histoires de Parfums' 1828 Jules Verne especially with its muted woods. Not bad at all!

Notes from perfume.com
    ********************
    Top: Tangerine, Bergamot, Cabernet Grapes, Crushed Leaves, Silver Cypress
    Middle: Nutmeg, Violet, Tobacco Blossom
    Base: Gaiac Wood, Musks, Driftwood

CH by Carolina Herrera

Toothache-inducing opening aside, this has the looks of fruit-infused floral jam slathered over cinnamon-spiced confections. But it is not overtly gourmand. After the tart fruit tops have mellowed out, I get a nice sweetly woodsy, mildly cinnamony aura that seems to be the trend in women's fragrances a few years back. Pleasant enough but hardly outstanding.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

An acquired taste...a bit like almond cakes...first attempt was a bit unpleasant but after a few tries, they both grew on me...

The first time I tried it, I was not overtly impressed...however, after a few more tries (while running on the treadmill; best place to try a new scent as your body temperature exudes the scent through your pores in the heat of the moment...) I started to admire the beautiful composition of this very unique violet and rose scent...

Now, I reach for it on cold evenings at home when I want to relax and listen to my equally large vinyl collection...ie George Michael, massive attack...

Fantastic stuff...with incredible longevity and sillage...

Big thumbs up...!!!

pearlfingering's avatar

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This would be great for a Brazillian beauty with a naughty streak. It will invite intense admiration from the opposite sex, if not outright groping. It smells more like Spring Break than Salem witches or pychotropic shamans, which is why I didn't buy it. The tuberose and heliotrope are prominent. To my nose, latex condoms, rum and cokes and sex-stained bed sheets. To really pull this off, wear it with white eyelet lace, or people will just assume you don't shower after lovemaking.

The_Cologneist's avatar

McGraw by Tim McGraw

I don't get why this fragrance gets bashed the way it does. It's actually a rather nice, comforting, warm fragrance. Generic? ya, a little.. but not entirely.

For me, Mcgraw starts off with a spicy yet very creamy woods and lavender. I pick up on a vanilla note that isn't listed anywhere, but I do believe it's there. Sooner than later, (10 minutes in) it dies down to a slightly sweet, boozy cognac and nutmeg mix. Although whiskey is listed in the notes, I get cognac in this one.

The longevity isn't too great for a dark juice like so, usually those tend to last the longest because of more perfume oils. In this ones case, they may have just dyed it this color to make it match with its appearance. Longevity is about 4 hours for me, I tend to hold fragrances very well. Projection is below average, but that's what I love most about the entire Mcgraw line. They all sit close to the skin, but aren't as generic as other skin scents, these have the country thing going on for sure! All of them have exquisite dry downs to my nose, especially Southern Blend.

I think all of the Mcgraws for men, are safe to blind buy. As long as you understand, they're all spicy, they all have some of alcoholic drink accord in them, and they're all "country". They all also lack in the projection department, but sometimes we all want something of that nature.

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

This is a fine, classic scent. Light lemony notes mingle with hints of herbs from the clary sage. The florals are dusky and not sweet. The overall scent is refined and elegant. My slight reservation is with the orris note, which never is a favorite of mine. Here it is restrained, and gives a slightly fleshy - tangy - minty note. It adds a cool and distinctive character to the scent. The dry-down is only slightly powdery, and there is a hint of sheer woods and a trace of leather.

TropiRock's avatar

L'Essence de Must de Cartier by Cartier

What an incredible, rich, delicious fragrance. It is unquestionably one of my all-time favorites and is befitting of the Cartier brand. Just think refinement, for adults only. Young folks mesmerized by, say, AdG probably wouldn't relate well to L'Essence de Must de Cartier. It isn't fresh, modern, and probably doesn't have mass marketing appeal -- but it surely smells good to my nose. Masculine, but not overpoweringly so. Spicy, but not overpoweringly so. Woodsy in the drydown, but not overpoweringly so. Pure subtle refinement in a unique green and red bottle. I will always have this in my cologne wardrobe.

montgolfier's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Well, this just goes to show what a personal and subjective thing fragrances are, because while Gucci Pour Homme II may be a classy and unique addition to the market that a lot of very cultured noses like.... I just personally can't stand the smell of tea.

And that's what it boils down to with this fragrance, because to me the tea is really the predominant note from top to bottom. If I got up in the morning and washed my hands and face with wet tea bags, that's more or less the character and strength of what I get from wearing this fragrance. I know most people consider tea a nice, sweet, comforting smell - and a lot of people are enthusiastic imbibers of it too - but I don't drink the stuff and have always hated the smell and taste of it, almost at the level of a mild phobia. For that reason Gucci Pour Homme II makes my stomach a little queasy.

I can't use my own personal (and seemingly quite unusual) dislike for tea as a reason to call this a bad fragrance, though. The lack of sillage and longevity are more legitimate, general criticisms, which, as some others have said, might make you reconsider splashing your cash on this one. But most of all, potential buyers should MAKE SURE THEY REALLY LIKE TEA before adding this to their collection.

apayne182's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I dont think the top notes are that bad. they are a little harsh. There is lavender there and i detect some of the middle notes. after a couple of minutes it dies down a little and the lavender is still there but tar and patchouli have found their way in as well as the chocolate and tonka. over time, the chocolate becomes more pronounced and the tonka still stays. i still detect something else there, perhaps the lavender and tar. the top notes are a little harsh but not too bad to my nose and they're worth it for the dry down and development. very happy to get this for christmas. if you don't like chocolate in a fragrance, its not for you but then if you dont, you probably shouldnt review it in the first place. and we all know its a projection and longevity beast. great scent, colder months only

29 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2011)

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Fecal civet and cumin. Smells like mothballs and body odor with a bit of citrus.

I appreciate Eau d'Hermès, I could never wear it - Ungaro II is much better for this sort of thing IMO.

29 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2011)

apayne182's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

great longevity even though im pretty sure my bottle is a few years old. great scent, perfect for summer, staple for the summer. synthetic, yes. but it smells so good that i dont care. Not much else to say other than you can't go wrong with this

29 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2011)

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

If you're a citrus fan like I am, then you owe it to yourself to try Concentré D'Orange Verte. Basically, it's a melange of everything citrus - Oranges, Limes, Grapefruit, and Bergamot all combine to create a sparkling, refreshing blast of citrus power. Combined with the Papaya (either Papaya or Mango, not quite sure) and what I detect as Basil, the first 15 minutes give off a familiar "Froot Loops" accord. As fleeting as this fragrance is, the citrus holds on for a good while; up to an hour, even! Also, from the beginning, the Neroli gradually emerges and boosts the citrus so that the middle and base can stay refreshing and unisex. Moss in the base, and within 4 to 5 hours the fragrance is gone.

While Concentré D'Orange Verte is certainly not a champ in terms of longevity or sillage, 4 to 5 hours on my skin is still quite impressive - on those humid "dog days" of summer, this is almost like pouring a glass of orange juice or freshly-squeezed orangeade. It's genderless, refreshing, and I much prefer it to Eau d'Orange Verte.

29 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 May, 2011)

Safetyjon's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Michael for Men is my favorite tobacco dominant fragrance. I love the phase of the fragrance where the tobacco and suede transitions to patchouli, plum/fruits (while always maintaining the dominant tobacco note). The fragrance is very 80ish, as far as presence and sillage is concerned. Longevity is about 6-8 hours on me, but it can still be detected for up to 12 hours.

For some reason, Michael for Men makes me feel "rich". It's difficult to explain. I have other fragrances that are more elegant, or that are more formal. But Michael for Men makes me feel "rich". Interesting feeling. Very masculine...and very rich.

29 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2011)

Late-Hit's avatar

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

This review if for the EdP. Yes, this is a big, fleshy floral. Is it tuberose? I don't know. Overall, I think it reminds me of Donna Karan Gold, and maybe also Marc Jacobs.

Although this is not a style I wear myself in public places, I do enjoy smelling these bosomy things from time to time. But a little really does go along way, so a light hand is probably in order.

If you enjoy the scent of lilies and gardenia, then seek no further!

Forza's avatar

Moldova Moldova

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

What a wonderful fragrance. Evolves from an initial blast of pepper and settles with subtle bergamot at the drydown.

scentsitivity's avatar

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

I tend not to be fond of tobacco or tobacco notes (the one exception being the smell of pipe tobacco), but "Vintage" Tabarome is well done. It may not feel modern, but must it? It feels classy and refined with a better than average drydown for a Creed. Not for me, but certainly a must try for the tobacco lover (if you can find it).

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Bois du Portugal is, in my opinion, one of the most refined and richest men's fragrances ever made. Sort of like a classy older brother to Old Spice, but not even a bay rum. Simple lavender over a base of woods that comes off just a wee bit powdery and mossy as well combine to create a gentleman's scent. I detect some rich spices as well. I am not surprised that Frankie chose this as one of his signatures later in life, it suits him. Of course, it lasts and lasts and projects well. This is one of the only few Creed fragrances I'd actually buy, regardless of price tag.

Concerning the appropriate age group for wearing Bois du Portugal, I don't think this has to be strictly for men 40 or above. It would be best, though, if this is worn by a man who has gone through puberty and is confident, and has a strong gentleman's presence. If there's one fragrance to "separate the men from the boys", then Bois du Portugal is it.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

Excellent sillage, good longevity and very complex, although the notes mentioned by those around me were not the ones included in the pyramid: "tea" was the one mentioned by most followed by woody accords mixed with those of a distilled alcoholic beverage.

The opening is sharp, itchy to a certain extent but not uncomfortable to the nose. What follows is a composition that is quite difficult to explain because of the blend's richness - PS feels like a palimpsest, for the interpretation of the blend's silage was different to every person around the wearer. We all could detect whiffs, but these were of different accords, so, for some what seemed like flowers, for others were woods, or spices.

This is the kind of blend that makes you discharge preconceptions about modern perfume - making and design, not everything new is bad, there are good things around, PS London being one of such.

Onde Vertige by Giorgio Armani

Developed by Jacques Cavallier and Azniv Buzantian.
    Aromatic and a bit vegetal, suggesting celery leaves and fennel.
    The sudden appearance of something like soy sauce and ginger makes me say,
    "bring on the sushi!"
    A metallic note, very much like tinned peaches. I suppose those are floral notes.
    Kind of an odd duck.

Onde Mystère by Giorgio Armani

Developed by Maurice Roucel.
    I like it. There is nothing here to keep a man from wearing and enjoying this.
    It has a fresh, enjoyable quality. The potentially heavy and sweet elements are restrained.
    Rose lurks appealingly in the background, along with a very light incense note.
    I am super-sensitive to vanilla and find hardly any here.
    Thus, I find this attractive. It is sheer and perhaps short-lived, but otherwise it is an admirable light summery scent.

Onde Extase by Giorgio Armani

Developed by Bruno Jovanovic.
    The fragrance note should be "sesame absolute", typo in the listing.
    This is a fairly dense cloud of deep and sweetly rich floral notes.
    Despite the colour of the juice, the scent suggests pink rather than green.
    It settles into an opulent yet fresh musk note with a hint of good peppercorn.
    Not my style. I can't see many men wanting to wear this. But it is an interesting scent.

nsamadi's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

Erolfa is like smelling a fresh ocean breeze through a 100% clean white cotton t-shirt. It's simpler than some of the other Creeds, but for some reason, it hits my nose is a really good way.

nsamadi's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Millesime Imperial is a transparent oceanic scent with some light citrus and fruit notes on a musky wood base. It's fairly simple, with poor longevity, you might have to reapply this during the day, but it gets me a ton of compliments. For some odd reason, blondes really loves this.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Silver by Al Rehab

A very pleasant scent that opens very very citric, midway between lemon and grapefruit, the dominant citric note lasts for a very short time and the heart notes are very complex and short lived too, kinda floral but oud starts to dominate with some floral and still some citric in the background. The drydown is mainly oud, but some of the floral notes linger on and some tartiness is still present until is all gone.
    Very fresh and unique fragrance indeed. Although it develops too fast I like it and it gets my thumbs up

divinebaboon's avatar

Couture Couture by Juicy Couture

Sickening. When I smelled this in the Juicy Couture outlet store along with Viva La Juicy and Juicy Couture, the other two were so much better than this one, it's not even a fair comparison. The smell was just too artificial for me.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

This smell gives me a weird association-- it's like being a child and stumbling upon a sex toy in a drawer at somebody's house or a dirty magazine-- you know it's something to do with sex and you've been taught that sex is something for grownups-- you're curious and feel a rush from seeing something you're not supposed to see.

Acier Aluminium does conjure up orgies (Whoever said this scent remininded them of Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" was so right!), and cold medical/dental equipment. A very sexually charged, kinky fragrance.

It's strange how it goes on smelling like Juicy Fruit gum, and then kind of gets a tad powdery and moves toward civet. I have to say, I love the opening chord, but the drydown doesn't sustain it and as the fruit fades, it slides into a more opaque texture-- going a bit ambery and soft. I read reviews that say this scent is "manly"-- I'm not sure. It's at least unisex, and I see women wearing it very well, as it connotes more than a hint of the scent of female arousal. I guess a guy could pull it off, but I'm not sure if I'm that guy, so I've never been brave enough to really give it a shot.

One odd thing about Acier Aluminium-- If I take a prescription sedative or sleeping pill, this becomes my favorite scent to smell, bar none-- there's something about enjoying this scent when I'm in a chemically induced relaxed state. It's a soft sweet hazy golden pillow of amber light. I think somebody else compared it to "Vanilla Sky" and I agree with that as well.

This is the most unusual Creed I've encountered. Highly original and provocative.

joshuaang's avatar

Eden No. 03 by Tokyo Milk

I mostly get Iris from this, not earthy iris but creamy iris - it's pretty linear and dries down to a clean musk. Not something that blows your breath away but excellent at what it does: make you smell pretty.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

I don't know original L'Homme version, but this one is really good. I don't care it's sport or not, but is modern, fresh, aromatic, unique and lasts all day. It was my blind buy and I'm very happy with it. I like this funny bottle.
    After Arpege pour homme it's my second EDT from Lanvin. Very underrated producer in my opinion...

tritrek's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Sport by Williams

Cheap, smells good, cools very well... smells a lot like Alberto Tomba's Indecente.