Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Fresh, floral, and fruity. The opening of the scent has a clear, balanced, and refined fruitiness that coordinates beautifully with the florals of the middle. The middle mixed florals carry those same kinds of balance and refinement that the fruit notes have, and that is, basically, the strong point of this fragrance: it does not have a strong single identifiable characteristic except that it is so beautifully combined of wonderfully complementary notes. Although it does “lack a distinct personality,” it would be almost impossible for J’Adore to be disagreeable. It is safe—it shows taste and refinement if not uniqueness. I think it might have been taken as an inspiration for Vera Wang for Men.

Coco by Chanel

I put a dab on filter paper and dropped it in a brandy snifter and covered it. Later, after sniffing out its progression, I put the snifter on a shelf and forgot about it. Two weeks later, when I wanted to test another fragrance, I smelled the snifter with the paper still in it, and got a transparently beautiful patchouli, rose/jasmine, cinnamon, and amber accord. This serendipitous experience was almost as impressive as the scent itself. Coco—stripped to its essential elements—superbly and cleanly elegant and refined…still carrying a surprising bit of olfactory substance.

Coco is forceful—sophisticatedly, femininely, and ornately forceful. It is based on that solid, elegant core of patchouli, rose/jasmine, cinnamon and amber. The other notes—aldehydes, coriander, peach, mimosa, clove, sandalwood, civet, vanilla, among others—are elegant decorations, decadent trimmings, grace notes to the core quartet. My experience echoes tigrushka’s description: “Coco is like the simplest possible Little Black Dress worn with the most barbaric gold jewelry.” Great call, Tigs...

Originally submitted 22 April 2007

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

The opening comes on very strong, but I like its spiciness and peppery sting. I immediately smell the incense from the base, and I think for an instant or two that this is a fragrance that I will certainly enjoy. Then comes the orchid note... and from that point all bets are off. I hate that orchid note – to me it is somewhat comparable to a rotten green pepper note. Oh well…

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

The leather note is promising but it falls
    short due to the green note drydown but it's not merely a disappointment as it seems it becomes more warmer with the presence of amber and spiciness of rose
    the drydown is almost like an homage to the 1845 release of Creed's FLEURS DE BULGARIE with it's warm amberic rose scent
    but La nuit is more of a modern edgier
    and yet less abuse-of-the-power of Bandit or a cigar smoked room like decadence of habanita, La nuit has an
    reserved iciness an inner calm that bandit and habanita can't compare with
    almost translucent of your soul and of
    the namesake La Nuit.

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

Valentino's Rock 'n Rose is deliciously sexy it opens with a blast of Black current and sparkling bergamot dries with
    a sweetness of gardenia with edgings of orange blossoms Heliotrope adds to the candy chewing gum kind of scent it has a cloying texture I don't smell any evidence of Lily-of-the-Valley in this i don't seem
    to detect it there's a nice diluted rose
    note that dries the middle section.

I like the vanilla drydown not too sweet
    with a musky overtones.

I don't seem this as edgy feminine yes
    it's more girlish then edgy I love the color combination it has an 1950's Parisian feel very chic.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Secretions Magnifiques Is like being slapped in a face by a raw fish it's the most revolting thing i ever smelled
    is this a perfume or some horrible science
    experiment that went wrong if you just
    take a q tip and collect a scretion of a man's sweaty arm pit a pap smear and i agree to all of you's blood there's no
    evidence of florals my gag reflexes
    where through the roof this is the most
    sickest thing ever!!!!!

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

Gucci eau de Parfume is like a elegant Tweed jacket dry and musty it brings
    an Androgynous chicness in modern perfumery The opening of Heliotrope with
    it's vanilla with almond nuance opens the
    top note, in a few minutes dry Caraway
    makes it's presence known Iris adds to the
    powdery feel it has an strawberry middle drydown Leather is subtle and it's not
    overwhelming Incense adds to the dark mystery of the scent with an reserved
    reputare aloof and not showing her true
    nature i love the dark musky drydown
    and vanilla sweetens the base.

Gucci eau de Parfume has no categorized
    identity genderless it's neither Male
    nor Female it brings androgamy to the
    wearer it's unisex to me, these are one
    of the scents that thinks outside the box like CK One that does not follow
    conventional rules on female perfumery
    it avoids trendy girlish watery floral
    fruity scents that is all the rage and
    beats to it's own drum, this scent is for a woman who wants to break convention.

scentual1's avatar

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

Perfectly mimics the smell of the laundromat on Sunday. I find it very appealing, it has a heated soap intro, and then steam iron starchiness to add to it's authenticity! How do they do that? On the finish (which is about 20 minutes in) there is a ever so slight baby powdery note. All in all, the whole experience will last you about . . .oh, the time it takes to do one load of laundry!

scentual1's avatar

Zen (new) by Shiseido

It works well on me, I am a scorpio with A+ blood type (Some say that matters). It hits all the right notes in all the right places, intro and middle is soo complex, and seems to be when I receive most compliments. Something about this scent reminds me of being in Marrakesh Morocco at a spice market, not that I've ever been, but I bet it smells great! There are many different notes at any given time depending on which way the wind and my hair blows. This is not a common or easily recognizable scent so for that reason alone I choose to wear it heavily in the fall and winter. I will admit on the intro, there are some similarities to chanel mademoiselle.

civava's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Tried on paper....just pepper and it won't go away. I like pepper but this is too much and the other notes just don't come out.

roteus's avatar

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Never in my experience I had smelled such an opulent rose in a perfume...

The opening is mastodontic and immediately you can feel the theme is about ROSE:
    it has a huge presence and the concentration is stunning.
    The rose essential oil in the opening is quiet important as much as the small red-fruits notes bringing a sparkling and buzzing effect! The spices take radiance and introduce her majesty the Turkish rose absolute that quickly takes his position in this magnificent composition! I had a coconut feeling that perfectly fit into the composition making it less serious and more modern.
    The base is quiet similar to "Geranium Pour Monsieur" with incese-benzoin-ambrettolide-tonalide, a lower concentration of Sandalwood, Ambroxan and a strong dosage of pachulol to compensate the rose absolute: there is no mushroom-wet soil aspect that normally pachouli brings in such an higher dosage!
    I don't use rose perfumes but for this I can make an exception: fantastique!

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Boss Spirit by Hugo Boss

My friend has a little tester. It seemed great and promising when I was smelling it out of the tester, but when I put it on my skin it turned into something very heavy Fahrenheit like (I hate Fahrenheit), but tad sweeter. Although I have to admit that the scent is very unique, it doesn't appeal to me the least bit.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I really enjoy this scent...especially on a hot CA day! It's refreshing, clean smelling with just a hint of a Margarita/lime note with some airy marine notes. This is definitely part of my Summer fragrance wardrobe along with Jivago 24k, Bond 9 Coney Island, Escada Pacific Paradise & Escada's Tropical Punch! I always smell summery & fun and that makes me happy.

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

This is just a dreamy scent with lots of fruity topnotes that moves into a beautiful Jasmine/Orange blossom melange which settles into an Ambery (I don't pick up the Patchouli or Sandalwood in it...) drydown. This is definitely my "Go-To" scent...one I can wear without worry about anyone NOT liking it. This scent always draws compliments...it lasts a long time! I'd recommend it to anyone..if you can find it!

Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

I tried this scent a long time along and intially I really liked it...and after reading one of the posts from another poster I knew exactly what I did and didn't like about it! It has a note of Raspberry (somewhere in there!) but it's predominately an "incense-y" scent. This is definitely an older scent..I was in my late 20's when I tried it so it was way too old for me then and probably still too old for me now, approaching 40. Something you could picture smelling on your Grandmother. I'm not knocking it...it's just different and maybe that's why I like it!!

Boucheron by Boucheron

This is one of my favorites from as far back as '89!! It has a very special place in my heart as I wore this scent when I was with someone special and the scent always transports me back to those memories. Enough reminiscing! Upon application I immediately pick up the top notes of Lemon & Orange Blossom (and I love Orange Blossom!). It settles briefly into beautiful mid-notes of Iris & Sandalwood before it's sexy drydown into a Tonka Bean note with just a hint of Civet & Benzoin. This is a quite 'regal' scent...smells quite expensive (and it's NOT cheap!) and has to be worn by a person with the right body chemistry or it can be overwhelming. A lot of people are saying this is an 'over-blown 80's scent'...as if it were like Opium or something. I'd have to disagree. This scent didn't come on the scene until the end of the 80's and it's a very complex, multi-note scent with excellent Sillage. TWO thumbs UP from me for Boucheron!!

finsfan's avatar

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

Reminds me a lot of CDG 2 Man, that sort of smokey/woodsy vibe. I get a hint of vetiver in the smoke or something grassy, but you sorta gotta just leave your nose down on the skin and see if you can pick it out.

I agree, this scent, if comparable in smell to 2 Man, is longer lasting and projects more. However, why pay more than twice as much for this Vetiver , just take 2 Man and reapply after 4 hours and save the money.

Love and Tears by By Kilian

I'm a diehard Jasmine fan. I have Creed's Jasmal and have had another Jasmine based scent (quite popular and expensive however the name escapes me..they sell it at Neimans, I know!), Creed's Angelique Encens,etc. When I heard the name of this scent it intrigued me...when I smelled it I KNEW I HAD to have it!! This is Jasmine in it's purest form!! It's a wet, just picked Jasmine scent but heady nonethless. For me, upon applying Vasline to my dry skin, I find that Love & Tears lasts much longer than Creed's Jasmal however it has FOUR different types of Jasmine in it...I'd expect it to last longer for that price! I went the cheapo way and got a few samples to try (Thank you, Saks!) and when I decided to buy I went online and got the 1.7 oz. refill (the only size it comes in for $245 in a much over-hyped bottle.) I got the refill, keep the lid tightly closed and keep in in my refrigerator applying it only with a Q-tip. It's lasting a nice long time!! I got mine for less than half the store price and was it ever worth it!

Love by By Kilian

Upon reading the other posts here I could really get a handle on what scents this conjures up for me. The first being Cotton Candy/Carmelized Sugar and the second being Root Beer, of all things. However, let me say this: This scent is just SEX personified. I wouldn't wear it on a first date...I'd save this for that romantic, just you and him night together because this one will burn up the sheets! ;) It's romantic and sexy and quite alluring however I'd handle this one with kid gloves. Go lightly with it otherwise you might smell like a French call girl! For me, I have no problem wearing this...I adore "sexy" scents and they work well on me. That being said, I am definitely considering purchasing the full bottle in the future.

Back to Black by By Kilian

This is a beautiful (albeit EXPENSIVE!) fragrance that one could easily wear on a daily basis. It reminds me somewhat of Chanel's Exclusifs Beige de Chanel in a way. Like wearing a beautifully heavy oversized Cashmere sweater!! The honeyed scent is what really attracts you and the underlying vanilla note is sweet yet not cloying. Not very good Sillage however the beautiful scent makes you want to keep reapplying it! A beautiful scent however definitely not worth $245 so I might spring for the refill bottle if I can find it online! All in all...a thumbs up from me!

adi's avatar

Romania Romania

1881 by Cerruti

Smells old, great-grandfather old. I don t like it at all, one of the worst fragrences out there.

adi's avatar

Romania Romania

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I have nice memories about this. But it isn t the same any more, it smells cheap, the drydown is horrible, longevity - non existent. Such a disappointment!

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tried this scent when I ran out of Creed's Jasmal and before I got hooked on Love, Tears, Surrender by Kilian. Funny thing is..although they're all indolic scents they all smell slightly different! I found A la Nuit to definitely be a Jasmine scent however I seem to detect either a note of Gardenia or Lily of the Valley in it. Beautiful..just different! Also the animalic notes make it different than other "fresh" Jasmine scents...like a night-blooming Jasmine @ midnight in the heat of Summer. Pretty but I've smelled others I like more!!

Degoody's avatar

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

I've had this on for about 5 hours now, and it shows no sign of dying down! I love how unique it smells, and it instantly stands out.

sarensi's avatar

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

I Love Cacharel Pour L'Homme. It's masculine but not too much, mysterious, slightly bohemian and unique. This was big in the 80's in Europe and used to be available everywhere but seems to have vanished from the UK with the popularity of blander sportier scents. I bought a bottle when I was in my teens and always thought it was a peppery pine/aniseed smell I was getting. Recently I have discovered it's a nutmeg I can smell (though I normally dislike nutmeg and clove) somehow it molds with the sweet ylang ylang (very strong for me ) to create something magical and slightly melancholic. I don't understand how people can't be captivated by this. It's like having some stranger tell you they don't like your girlfriend.
    Ok I will stick my head above the parapet and say that my respect for Luca Turin took a nosedive when I read his dismissal of Cacharel Pour l'homme. I'll take it over his camp favourites like Mugler Angel any day of the week. I am slightly irritated that LT has become the official spokesperson for what smells good and what doesn't.

Comme une Evidence by Yves Rocher

I've worn this perfume for years and years. I really love it! I do not wear it at the moment. sometimes it can get a little heavy or to present.
    It is a good en sensual smell.

Naturelle by Yves Rocher

Perfect fragrance for a summers day! fresh makes me think of water&wind.
    beatifully composed and lasts very long. I have a full bottle in my wardrobe. And one on my shelf to use!

Arpadvadasz's avatar

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

This smells fantastic... Except on me! On other people it's sophisticated, on a piece of paper wafted under my nose in Trumper's shop it smelt enticing. But on me, the scent goes straight down into my stomach and leaves me distinctly queasy. And, as with any smell that leaves you feeling sick, it lingers for ever, no matter how much I try to wash it off. I've simply got the wrong skin chemistry for it, which is annoying, because I like it on other people. What can you do, eh?

berganza's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I approached Habit Rouge for quite a while, trying it out at the counter every now and then. Now finally I own it and I am absolutely enchanted. It is not strong, very subtle when the first citrusy accords are on the retreat. It is truly wonderful, I don't consider HR to be a true-to-type masculine at all. Go for it, girls, there is real quality and joy to be had here!

Guilty by Gucci

This perfume truly is "warm, typical oriental-floral, with a sultry and pleasant heart commands attention with a striking opening" It is subtle but yet present. It is a sweet smell but then too a deep smell with a tinge of darkness or should I say guilt?

I like it and I guess you got to have the strenght to wear it because Gucci Guilty really is tempting and compelling.

In addition to the base- heart- and topnotes:

Top notes: mandarin and pink pepper
    Heart notes: lilac, geranium and peach
    Base notes: patchouli and amber

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2010)