Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Zen for Men by Shiseido

If someone asks you what you mean by a 'generic' men's scent, just direct them to this abonimation -- it ticks all the boxes.

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The top notes smell of furniture polish and mothballs, but stay with it and you get Spanish leather -- Lutens style. Very rich, fruity and ambery -- gorgeous.

Bang by Marc Jacobs

3 reasons I was dreading this. The postmodern crumpled up bottle, the name and the awful first men's scent from this House. Actually, it's not half-bad, but forget all the notes listed -- Bang is dominated by peppers throughout -- you will have to like them. I'll wear occasionally. Induces sneezing with some people -- beware.

ehsancgfx's avatar

212 Sexy Men by Carolina Herrera

this is a complete headache provoker to me. its smell smells cheap chocolet body sprays and its a complete no no for me. i sprayed it on my once and it last a long time though which became a huge pain for me for the whole day ... i rather like carolin herera 212 original one very much.

Royal Water by Creed

Has all the basics of a Hesperide with a touch of basil and mint showing their hands late on. It's a nice fragrance and lasts a good while, but I'm not sure it is worthy of the inflated price tag -- in fact it isn't.

scentsitivity's avatar

Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9

The notes listed are blue cypress, fennel, roasted almonds, pink peony, crème brulée, and sandalwood. Looks incoherent and smells incoherent too. Clashing notes and themes (sorry, I don’t want fennel in my crème brulée floral!) and too sweet as well.

Atelier d'Artiste by Nez à Nez

Smelling this blind, I would have guessed it was from the Frapin House. Cognacs and perfumes have a link -- they both have to be distilled.This is a very sweet rum and fruiit cognac that flirts with patchouli before finishing with a vanilla coffee tinged with tobacco. It's heady stuff -- the drydown is lovely. The best of the range from Nez A Nez by a long long way.

L'Eau Rare Matale 06 by Parfumerie Generale

An aromatic tea scent, fresh and woody, but underpowered. I'm not sure if there is any vetiver in here, but the drydown is very similar to Encre Noir.

Adepta's avatar

Verveine / Lemon Verbena / Eau de Verveine / Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley

This is not a life changing perfume, but I like it very much. I find it very wearable: restrained, elegant and original, perfect, I think, in hot weather and for the office
    It starts with slightly bitter and pungent notes, and a bit of the astringency of sap, then it gets more tonic (as in tonic water) and I can smell some of the metallic sourness of rhubarb.
    I realise that from this description it can sound unpleasant, but it isn't: it is crisp, reserved, efficient, unadorned, but unconventional.
    I am more and more impressed with the Heely line.

Orange Star by Tauer

The mandarin opening should be refreshing and zingy, but it just smells like soap. This is followed by a waxy mixture of vanilla and cedarwood. It's certainly unusual, but I don't think it works.

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Forget about the notes -- this is a 'roots and shoots' very earthy version of vetiver. I imagine this what a pig smells when it is searching for truffles in a forest. I don't like it at all.

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

Testing this had the astonishing effect of making me giggle uncontrollably -- it is so pretty. The raspberries and rhubarb just smell lovely -- I was going to spray on my tongue. I won't be wearing it though -- too feminine, but I know someone who will.

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

I like the juniper berry note in fragrances,so was drawn to this quickly, but it boils down to a fresh woody fragrance albeit with some sophistication -- the vetiver note is particularly nice. Worth trying at least.

D.Sprad's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

At first I thought this was the scent for me. Natural-smelling pineapple which then opened up to an interesting blood orange smell.
    Then, it really, really turned. The blood orange went away and it was completely pineapple again - and that was it. It wasn't even the good, natural pineapple - it was a synthetic, headache-causing horrid pineapple.
    Perhaps it's my skin doing it, but I wouldn't dream of buying 1 million - lucky for me I had a sample rather than just deciding to buy based off first sniff.

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

This has a classic cologne opening, followed by cinnamon and leather and a quite boozy musky accord. It sounds a very traditional masculine that I would normally not like -- but I thought it was very nice and considering the continued dearth of decent masculines to choose from, you could do a lot worse. Longevity and sillage were great on me.

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

I may be reading too much into this, but I have a feeling the two Antoines are playing with our perceptions of genders in perfumes. Using the metaphor of films, V&T begins like Rambo and ends up like Mary Poppins. So, big masculine start of musks, leathers, vetiver and peppers, but all I could smell at the end was tuberose and ylang ylang. A very clever and daring scent -- I love it.

Enslaved by Roja Dove

I think Enslaved smells more like Shalimar than the more fruity Habanita. It has a dated, dusty feel to me and I certainly don't get any complexity. Get Shalimar instead.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Why are Geurlain still pushing this out -- maybe it's time has come again. To me, it's a cold, synthetic, tinny floral that should have been dumped in 1984.

Back to Black by By Kilian

Hang on -- I've smelt this fragrance before -- the exact same thing. It's a straight rip of Tom Ford's Tobacco and Vanille and that is £50 cheaper. So, what's the point really?

Scent Intense by Costume National

Don't listen to anyone else about this scent -- it's one that you have to try yourself. With such few notes to play with, I find it utterly bewitching and always will. The hibiscus, amber and jasmine seem to forge a smell of the most beautiiful sensuous rose you could imagine.

LadiesMan007's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Excellent frangrance my personal favorite from the Ed hardy line up. Wore this out to the clubs this spring break plenty of compliments from the ladies. Nice clean scent I highly recommend for guy in there early-mid twenties.

LadiesMan007's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Good aquatic scent hence the name cool water. I use the scent whenever I go out on a cool breezy night at the beach for bonfires and hangouts just adds to the fragrance. Has an athletic clean type of smell pretty good has been in the game for some time now and is a best seller so I take it lots o guys have it dnt be surprised if u smell it on other guys but good nonetheless.

odysseusm's avatar

Harmatan Noir 11 by Parfumerie Generale

Jasmine, cedar, mint tea, salt, patchouli
    Interesting assortment of notes. Minty, florals are not too sweet, smokey and silvery incense, a bit of spice. This is a cool, dry scent and so far I like it. It gets more floral and spicier, bigger and smokier. I have a marvelous image – old stones anointed by incense and prayers. Interesting! It hovers at the edge of sweetness but does not go over the line. The tangy notes of salty patchouli get bigger. Yet it remains cool, translucent (not dense), mysterious and intriguing. Slightly metallic in an interesting way, quirky, elusive, intriguing. Obviously I need to think about this and try it again…

codehorror's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I am sure that all fragrance lovers have that one fragrance that changes their outlook on fragrances forever, and in my case that fragrance is Fahrenheit. I can still remember when I first smelled Fahrenheit in 2000, up to this point I was accustomed to only smelling the fresh aquatic fragrances like ADG that still to this day are worn by the masses. I did not really see their vaule let alone enjoyed wearing fragrances to much, I mainly wore them because girls liked when a guy smelled nice, and if I remember correctly I only had one bottle which was Good Life by Davidoff. Then it happend I was going through a coworkers small collection and the bottle of the original Fahrenheit caught my eye as did the name I thought what a strange name for a fragrance, I sprayed it on and I remember I was blown away by the in your face scent of petroleum and violet leaf which I loved and instantly I was taken back to high school and being in a shop class where I worked on engines and remembering how I loved the scent that would be stuck on me after getting out of that class. I then thought why would anyone want wear this scent, and how is this scent suppose to attract women. I guess I must have had a strange look on my face because I remember my coworker say something like "Strong intresting smell HUH?" which I replied "Oh Yeah!". I then asked him do girls actually like when you wear this, and his response was yup they do give it a little and you will smell why. What I smelled next was a beautiful mixture of sweet violet, honeysuckle, cedar, musk, sandlewood, and tonka. Needless to say I fell in love with this fragrance and honestly did not care at that point if anyone else liked this fragrance on me because I loved it on myself, and in that I discovered that one should never wear fragrances for others, one should wear them for their own enjoyment. Because if you love the fragrance that you are wearing it gives you a sense of joy, and confidence that will allow others to see the beauty and enjoy the fragrance you are wearing as well.

I can not say who should or should not wear Fahrenheit that is for each individual to test out and decide on there own, but what I can say is that todays formulation is much more wearable then the original because it is far less harsh. I myself love the old formulation and wear it from time to time, but I am also happy with the new formulation because I try not to focus on whats not there and focus more on what still is after all it is still in essence Fahrenheit, and I know that if I had first smelled Fahrenheit today I would still love it for what it is today an amazing unique niche fragrance in a designer market.

Issa's avatar

Aventus by Creed

There are very few perfumes that stood out and grabbed my attention at a high level and I was very pleasantly surprised the first time I smelled them. I even remember these moments in my life. Aventus by Creed is one of those few. With this one I make sure to spray some on my wrist for easy access since I cannot get over how wonderful it smells. Even then, I still get surprised every time my wrist accidently passes close by my nose. Not the ultimate best but ranks at the top in a class of its' own. Longevity is average for Creed and I wish it lasted longer for this price range.

perfume fiend's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I agree with what most reviewers have posted: I was very disappointed with this one. When I saw it in the stores, I got all excited because I generally love Chanel fragrances for men, but as soon as I tried it...what a let down. I mean, it's good, but it smells like A LOT of the ones that are already out there, even others by Chanel. Maybe next time, Monsieur Polge...

Safetyjon's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Boucheron PH is certainly an elegant, citrusy, chypre fragrance. Starts off with a very loud citrus/lemon opening that progresses into floral / soapy mid notes. The middle phase reminds me of Bogart for Men or Kanon (although they are both greener).

Like many others have stated, I also thought that BPH was just a little too "old ladyish". When I'm in the mood for a lemony fragrance, I like Bulgari Extreme, which I find smoother (and younger), without sacrificing elegance or I like Lacoste (original) which I find less floral. I even like the dirt cheap, lemony Halston 1-12 better than Boucheron.

Not bad...just middle of the road for me. I just couldn't justify the purchase.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Fresh, clean, marine and masculine...perfect for work/the office where society dictates rules and regulations and a certain code of conduct...

Safetyjon's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

The opening of Red is strong, but not too strong. It has an opening similar to Escada pH with the spiciness of Halston Z-14. After about 1-2 hours, the fragrance enters its most enjoyable phase. The base notes will remind you of its exceptional brother, Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men. The drydown of patchouli, oakmoss and leather is smooth due to a sweet spiciness that endures throughout the drydown. Unfortunately, the drydown doesn't come close to that of its older brother, GBHpH. Longevity is not bad (~6 hours), which is less than GBHpH, which lasts forever.

I had put this one away for a year and just recently tried it again. I enjoyed it much more this time around...prompting me to upgrade my rating to a "thumbs up".

30th December, 2010 (Last Edited: 02nd January, 2012)

Force of One's avatar

Castile by Penhaligon's

I agree with others that the opening is very nice - but it just doesn't last long. It stays pleasant throughout, but hotel soap is "pleasant" enough. Clean, non-offensive, yet unspectacular

31st December, 2010