Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

MOONB's avatar

Violetta by Penhaligon's

Penhaligon's has been alarmingly disappointing to me thus far. Granted, I've only tried this, Castile, and Hammam Bouquet, but all fell so short of expectations that I'm beginning to think the house is overrated, and more egregiously, over-priced.

Violetta hits the skin in a burst of alcohol and synthetic violet, and after a few seconds settles into a fuller version of the flower, with support from a stale and chemical vanilla. I get the concept here; there is something pleasant about the powdery quality of violets that conjures impressions of soil and dust. The stale vanilla base is probably meant to lend Violetta this quality, but it simply doesn't. While staying fairly linear, the scent simply whimpers through a few hours of blatantly synthetic violet before fading away (leaving a headache in its wake).

If you're a violet lover and want a natural-smelling take on that note, I recommend you skip this and spend your time and money on Grey Flannel instead. It smells much better, and at a fraction of Violetta's cost.

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2010)

mikeprodi's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Aventus is so fresh, spicy and warm. It is very elegant cologne.
    It changes trough the day. It is definitely worth to try.

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2010)

's avatar

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A very conventional, yet pleasant scent. When the first greeish iris-blast is over, the heart is quite smooth and not very "interesting" in terms of "innovative", let alone creative. In so far, the name "Silk stocking" is appropriate. Like others here before, I'm also reminded of Chanel No. 19, but the legendary No. 19 is much harsher. Sillage of Bas de Soie is mediocre, you have to reapply after 3 hs. My husband gave me a bottle of this for Christmas and having worn this now for a couple of times, it turns out to be a wonderful "all-rounder", very good for day-time and work.

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2011)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Chrome???? Did anybody say Chrome?????
    The color of the juice reminds me of Chrome, the bottle reminds me of Chrome, is this just a copy of Chrome? If it is, actually is an improvement over Chrome. More masculine, better sillage and logevity than Chrome, and in few words: This is another aquatic, but not "just another aquatic", this has better quality and smells better than the rest of the aquatics there in the market.

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2011)

Weimar27's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

When i first tried this i thought sheesh
    it's another run of the mill celeb fragrance but never say never it has great
    Silage very long lasting smells expensive
    for a fraction of the price.

It opens with sweet mango then in a minute
    spices i detect Chai adds to the quasi exotic atmosphere of this scent the mystery of the scent of Cocobolo the first material ever used in a perfume
    always keep me guessing what does it
    smell like? it conjours like a ancient
    Aztec market selling spices dyed in brightly colored dyes with it's intoxicating smell drifting though like
    an offering to the Goddess of fertility,

The drydown returns to the scent of mango due to the note of Mango blossoms
    sweetening with amber musk is elusive
    that's because of the domineering notes
    of Mango and Spices it hides in diluted forms.

With Love is no Ordinary teen celeb
    kind of fragrance with it's transitional
    sophistication of a mature perfume and
    yet with the marketing though young
    teenage girls this scent Yells

"I'm not a Girl and I'm not yet a woman

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

Yes indeed, Kouros Fraîcheur is a fresher and lighter version of Kouros. The opening is a bit harsh on my skin; the mixture of civet and pineapple isn't the most pleasant (pineapple is among my least favorite fragrance notes) and can smell kinda sour. Yes, the urinous civet is still present here, although tolerable and starts to become barely noticeable at all once this begins drying down. The "sour" smell also goes away within a few minutes.

To me Kouros Fraîcheur is a wonderful fresh, soapy version of Kouros, free of any off-putting notes to turn people away, except for the first few minutes. Gives off an "Irish Spring" vibe, similar to that of Sung Homme by Alfred Sung, just not as obnoxious. The patchouli in the base is AWESOME, too - it blends perfectly with the citrus and vetiver. The sillage and longevity are also very good, as I can get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours out of Kouros Fraîcheur.

It's such a shame that Kouros Fraîcheur had to be discontinued. It fetches for high prices nowadays online and is getting harder and harder to find.....if you have the chance to try it, or you're a fan of Kouros, most certainly try this. A good example of what a "fresher" flanker or "sport" version should be.

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2011)

Safetyjon's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

This is my favorite fragrance from Lanvin. As many have already stated, it isn't really sporty. But I do enjoy its versatility. It's a good everyday fragrance that will not offend anyone. I find it light. The mildly sweet lemon fades slightly as the fragrance progresses; It looses its initial sharpness, but the lemon is always there. I find the lemon to be very enjoyable.

I find the lemon's transition to the base notes of patchouli, moss and musk to be very nice. Earthy, but not dark...thanks to...of course, the lemon. It also has very good longevity (8-10 hours).

It's one of my favorite lemon fragrances...Right up there with Oscar pH and Bvlgari Extreme pH...A big thumbs up.

03 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 April, 2013)

rickbr's avatar

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Loewe 7 really seems on skin like a rebel child of Comme des Garcons that run away of his house and was adopted by another brand. 7 has that resinous woody aroma that Commes des Garcons love to use in their fragrances, and which is more noticeable in the Incense series. The opening is a mixture of salty black peppers, dry cedar and animalic, resinous incense. It has a dry aroma that male fragrances used to have, but at the same time is not so heavy, or so religious in it's smoky incense. What really surprises me in this one is the appearance of a spiced apple in the middle of the woody-incense-pepper. There is apple and something that smells like clove for me, and this makes me think of the beautiful aroma of an apple and clove tea served in winter. Unfortunately, this aspect doesn't last and the fragrance returns to the cedar-incense-pepper accord. I saw some comments that this had a poor longevity and sillage, i found it quite potent and with a adequate trail. I'd recommend it for persons that like Comme des Garcons fragrances or dry-woody compositions like Gucci Pour Homme.

Weimar27's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

The opening is nice,
    powdery but not overwhelming like Kenzo's Flower a softer more diluted powdery opening but i disagree with the drying
    down it does not smell elegant on me it
    smells like rotting cabbage mixed with
    powder i just think my skin chemistry doesn't balance this scent very well
    which is sad because it's from the most
    prestigious perfume houses in perfumery.

Dorian Gray's avatar

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

Starts off quite unlike any other vetiver, maybe a combination with patchoullli. Very nice, very strong and develops to a smoky hay but then becomes familiar.
    I think the drydown is very similar to Encre Noire; sweet, smoky with a touch of incense. Given it's powerful opening though I think I actually prefer it to the Lalique in all but price

shamu1's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

If anyone asked me, "Why do you dislike aquatic fragrances so much?", I'd pull out a bottle of Voyage and make him smell it. This one fragrance embodies everything I hate about this genre.

I am amazed at how many positive reviews there are of Voyage. Even Luca Turin praised this in his book. Are we all smelling the same fragrance here? Even with fragrances I can't stand, I can usually pick out one or two objectively positive attributes, but not with this one. I have worn this three times, hoping to see what all the hoopla is about, and I still hate it. Nautica Voyage has a pounding, unrelenting chemical, synthetic odor to it that smells like pool water blended with a tootie-frootie air freshener and some kind of synthetic white laundry musk. It is perhaps the most cloying and annoying fragrance I have ever smelled. I wouldn't even want my laundry to smell like this.

This is a fragrance with no soul, and it is truly disgusting.

MY RATING: 1/10

shamu1's avatar

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I have a bottle of this that's been sitting in a storage box for a couple of years, and I dusted it off tonight to give it another whirl.

I agree that this is a pretty mainstream fresh sporty woody citrus scent, but it's a bit more interesting than most. What separates OS from most boring sport fragrances is the way it blends its marine note with the cedar in the base. Together, the marine and cedar notes give OS a sort of olfactory illusion of oakmoss - to me, OS smells more mossy than aquatic, and that's its biggest appeal for me.

The problem is that this illusory oakmoss smells pretty synthetic, and after about an hour or two, OS becomes tiresome to wear. OS isn't a bad scent by any means, and it has some potential, but its oily synthetic feel wore me out.

MY RATING: 5.5/10

SirSlarty's avatar

CH Men by Carolina Herrera

Spicy, woodsy, leathery... and notes of florals. Just fantastic! A combination of oriental style accords (amber & vanilla) and fougere like in structure. CH Men makes for a rather unique scent. Similar to Guuci pour Homme II with a black tea spiciness combined with violet and like John Varvatos' vanilla and leather..

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Rather pleasant offering from Zirh. Nice spicy opening of cardamon, orange flower & cinnamon. Cloves, cedar and incense take it from there. The drydown recalls Dunhill Edition. Costs next to nothing at your local discount retailer and worth every penny and more. If you tire of Gucci PH, wear this on the off days.

Castile by Penhaligon's

One of the best openings going. A aromatic blast of Neroli that feels like finally a perfumer has bottled spring. Rose slowly unfurls its petals and joins the Neroli in a dance in the garden. True to its EdC nature, the drydown is short-lived and weak. Faints musks try to anchor this baby, but I find the anchor missing on most days. Still, buy this for the first hour and you won't be sorry.

bokaba's avatar

Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez

Agua de Colonia Concentrada is by far the best Spanish traditional cologne I have yet to try (haven't try Myrugia yet though). AdC is far more burly and herbal and less flowery than its French, British, Italian, and German counterparts. The opening is a tart, realistic lemon supported by herbs, orange blossom, and probably a little musk. There is also a substantial whack of lavender and little rose to soften the edges. If you like citrus colognes, this is a must buy and it comes cheap in 700ml bottles, too!

distortech's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

The presentation of this Eau De Parfum is gorgeous! The packaging is absolutely stunning - I love the light purple tint the bottle gives off. Unfortunately, the parfum itself is nothing more than a later version of D&G's Light Blue in a much nicer presentation. Of course I have to say I love it because I do; however, I loved it just as much before it got all dressed up and used another name.

Elixir by Penhaligon's

Light oriental. Those two words aren't mentioned that often when talking about mens' frags. Contrary to some of the negative reviews here, I find this lightness very bearable and even refreshing. In fact, I think that Giacobetti did an excellent job to meld the spices, florals and sweet notes into a very interesting fragrance. Could Lutens or Malle ever put something like this out? I think not!

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

My Dad wore this. Thought I was too "sophisticated" for Tuscany for many years but boy, was I wrong. Just plain smells good. Herbals in the right place? Check! Florals in the right place? Check! Patchouli-Oakmoss in the right place? Check! Natural smelling too. Tuscany's only fault is it doesn't last. Of course, that's due to the natural oils in play here. Niche before there was niche. When in doubt, spray on Tuscany and you won't be sorry. Everything about it makes life seem so easy and effortless.

Witness by Jacques Bogart

Can I get a witness? Maybe not but I settle for the fragrance. Three gigantic notes dominate: cinnamon, pine & musk. What more do you need? Cab rides in heaven smell like this.

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

Three words: cherry pipe tobacco. Unlit pipe tobacco still in its pouch. My uncle used to smoke this in his pipe and I never forgot it. Spraying this on reminds me on Sunday afternoons spent in his living room trying to capture this scent. Strong, bold and aromatic. Cheap and interesting in so many words. Just don't smoke it if you got it.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Wow, ode to patchouli, oak moss & honey! Picked this one up in the bargain bin and never looked back. Reformulated for sure but still chock full of the good stuff. A bit like Givenchy Gentlemen but in some ways better. Very dramatic fragrance and not very original but you will smell great. If only more men (and women) smelled like this, the world would be a better smelling place.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Who am I throw stones at Curve? Sure, it's cheap and common and popular with women but it's also somewhat complex which is a feat unto itself since it's forged with cheapo materials. Credit the perfumer for making this smell good. Wear without shame.

johnathan1257's avatar

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

This fragrance smells amazing on me. From the moment my body begins to warm this fragrance up it truly is amazing. Actually, a female roommate of mine once loved it so much on me (she would literally start following me around the apt) she went out and bought it for her boyfriend. That bottle of fragrance was good to his love life.... so idk. Maybe it's just something about my body chemistry...

johnathan1257's avatar

Arsène Lupin Dandy by Guerlain

This fragrance is a soft, yet masculine fragrance from Guerlain. It starts with a quick citrus burst that quickly calms into the warmer sandlewood and patchulli, then it just stays. The base notes blend in nicely with the middle notes, so I like it. It sits well on my skin and stays fairly long time (4-6hrs). I believe this fragrance is exclusive to boutiques in the USA, but not sure about globally. The bottle is surrounded on four sides by light wood, very simple and well stated, despite the fact the fragrance IS purple. Lol, definately one to try.

Navaro's avatar

Python Uomo by Trussardi

I bought one cause I love the smooth and fresh scent!
    but the day after I found it Not at all good!
    sillage so weak!
    longevity even worst!!
    I dont recommend!

PureBoy's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Simply remarkable!!!
    JC Ellena made a fragrance who will last forever...

The notes has a unique harmony and evolve to something amazing.

Thumbs always up!!!

adele h's avatar

Aoud Red Flowers by Montale

Absolutely fascinating fragrance- have to agree the aoud is well integrated here. I detect subtle roses and the saffron gives it a very unique, indefinable quality which i love..it has a slight sweetness grounded by the aoud.
    Aoud red flowers is similar to red aoud (which is beautiful as well) and it has excellent longevity on the skin...exotic without the spice bazaar!

PureBoy's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A big disappointment. Is not that bad but I expected something great like "Light Blue for the gurls"... Something with more life happiness and a little less metallic. The female is much better!!!

adele h's avatar

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

Rich and elegant without being mundane- and probably more suitable for a woman (yay). The roses are deep and dark and have so much depth which the aoud only showcases here. i believe leather is a listed note in AQR but it's not obtrusive and only adds to the decadence of the composition- just gorgeous!