Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

adele h's avatar

Sandflowers by Montale

Smells like warm, clean beach sand. It's certainly interesting because there aren't the usual cocunuts and ozonic notes in Sandflowers ( but i was hoping for sandalwood). It's not something I'd actually wear as a perfume though...

epicurean's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

The tacky, over-the-top ads featuring a naked, middle-aged, well-toned designer living out what could only be interpreted as a serious midlife crisis were not exactly promising auguries of anything worth sampling. But I couldn't resist, and what a surprise. Thinking this could only be something reminiscent of cotton candy and/or Koolaid, how pleasant to experience a simple, straightforward incense-and-pepper affair. Nothing remotely original, mind you -- Terre d'Hermès, Messe Minuit, Armani Privé Bois d'Encens, Gucci pour Homme and Greyland have all been there before.
    So, this earns a neutral rating: Nice, but not enough originality or daring to justify the superhero-style ad campaign.

Missy's avatar

Tihota by Indult

I love this perfume. It is a smooth and beautiful vanilla with a touch of musk. It envelops you like a warm hug and is softly present. I cannot imagine this scent offending anyone and it makes me happy wearing it. Delicious, delicate, smooth, and soft and oh so pretty. A must for any lover of vanilla IMO.

's avatar

A Mi Aire by Loewe

Nondescript aquatic fresh-floral.

Fougères Marines by Montale

Oh, yes, something about Fougère Marine is very familiar. It is neither Green Irish Tweed nor Cool Water, but can’t place it and I’ve been going through my samples for ten days now—I’ve given up. Fougère Marine has an exceptional fougere opening of lavender and green—fern, I would imagine. It is clean and refreshing, bright and uplifting. But that is about the extent of everything I get out of this fragrance. To my nose it doesn’t change much from the opening through the middle notes—it just gets less intense. The fougere part of the fragrance comes through clearly and strong, but I don’t get very much of the marine notes that others mention. I certainly don’t get much of a drydown; the whole fragrance disappears on me within two hours. I just don’t connect very much with this one…

Originally submitted 24 May 2007

anotherlemontree's avatar

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

I was excited about Luca Turin's review of this "apricot and suede" "milky tea" fragrance and purchased a small bottle blind.

The opening startled me by unleashing a quiet but tenacious powdered lemon note (if anyone remembers those chewable Sanatogen vitamins from childhood, it smells exactly like those, but horrible) which I find deeply unpleasant. Normally I love a powdery note in a fragrance, but this is joyless. I wonder if I'm the only one to find the opening so strange and so vile?

What follows is contrastingly gorgeous: a symphony of apricot and, at last, the smokiness of that delicious black tea with a spot of creamy milk. But, like driving past an opera house with the windows down, the whole fades out almost before you can catch it. I barely get any osmanthus (though it's not a note that I know well, perhaps affecting my ability to detect it at such low dosage). The scent dries down on fabric (it disappears on my skin) to a powdery lemon apricot floral.

I did expect something subtle, but I'd go so far as to call this fragile. The delicate luxury of the fleeting heart doesn't match that grating top note; an incoherency which makes me wonder whether I got an odd bottle (eBay purchase) - I've never smelled this scent instore.

A funny thing happened the other morning though... I'd already decided to pass Osmanthe Yunnan on, when I suddenly found myself craving that smoky, milky apricot tea. That night, when I changed back into my pyjamas, the most delicious wave of smoked apricot and flowers quietly rose from the fabric before disappearing again. From a far away radio the symphony was playing for a moment before fading out of earshot.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

Amor amor is gourmandy / fruity – very sweet with a background of mixed florals that seem to add to the sweetness, as if it needed more. I don’t find it cloying so something has been done right in its formulation. It’s quite youthful and that’s a good thing in this case. For the dry down I get primarily white musk with a rather generic sweetness that is either vanilla or tonka – I can’t quite tell… I personally don’t find Amor Amor very interesting, but I have to admit that it’s a pleasant, long-lasting fragrance.

Lucifer No. 1 by Damien Bash

Dark rose and smoky incense set the scene of… hell, I suppose, judging from the name. Well, only the opening is hell. It’s very dark and heady because of the way the rose, neroli, and galbanum are used. The headiness (and darkness) doesn’t last long because after the opening the fragrance seems to move directly to the base, which is more sweet and spicy than dark and dreadful. It’s a very attractive base of vanilla and amber made spicy with a potent carnation note.

I think this is an excellent scent: I love the Gothic darkness and ominous depth of the opening, and / but the base turns everything around and creates an accord that is… serious (purgatory, perhaps?) but not really sensual. And it’s not all that intimidating… either; in fact, I find it soothing in a sort of shadowy way.

This is a scent I would strongly consider owning, but I think I admire its art than its wearability... I'm not sure where I would wear it.

Armani Privé Pierre de Lune by Giorgio Armani

This was the first Privé I tested for a review. If I thought all the Privé fragrances were like this, it would have been my last. Not that it’s terrible – it’s actually very nice, but I certainly don’t see it as belonging to a premium line. I think “premium” should stand for something more than “nice smelling” and “competent,” and this one doesn’t make the A grade: It is competent, nicely made, and uninspired. It is powdery and a little green and a little leathery. The notes in Armani Privé Pierre de Lune are attractive and refined, but still, all that I smell a very good non-premium iris fragrance. There are more than several iris fragrances that are better than this and sell for more reasonable prices. It IS nice, though.

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

It’s a spicy amber with a definite patchouli element. The sweet spices – I get mainly anise, cinnamon, and a clovey carnation – are quite translucently presented and they seem to shadow the stronger amber foundation with supporting patchouli and cedar: It’s quite a nice effect. The whole fragrance is light, and has meager sillage. I rather like the lightness, the translucency of Armani Privé Ambre Soie, but I have a difficult time wrapping my mind about this being a super premium fragrance. I’m afraid that it just doesn’t exhibit the uniqueness, the creativity that it should for that category – a nice fragrance, nevertheless.

pistachio's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

Nomad Tea is the strange combination of SWEET spearmint toothpaste and smooth bitterness like a leather chair. The result? The scent of a posh Dentist. I rate this perfume a thumbs down for me, because it lacks intimacy and warmth. But the smell would be strangely comforting in an office, comforting in the strange way Doublemint is for carsickness. Neutral thumb.

BayKAT's avatar

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

(Vintag's EDT)
    I've worn my sample over a 2 months period, which is easy to do since a little goes a long way. When i first started wearing it I experienced predominantly a dry, green chypre heavy in vetiver and oakmoss. I loved it!!! Now that I"m getting used to the scent I'm picking up more aldehydes, and this is when the scent wanes on me.

What I did wrong was take this on vacation to the jungle. I wore it one day, and I didn't use much, with intent of blocking out the gas fumes from the public bus. Well, during that bus ride I noticed the man next to me turn away and cough a few times. Oh-oh. That's when I realized how loud the aldehydes really were, and the green raspy note has a harshness that had never stood out as much as it did on that bus. All this in backdrop to the pristine air of the jungle (once the bus reached its destination), and the hammer of doom had fallen.

This is a perfume that I like, but have come to realize that it will not stand the test of time with me. This is one that is better left to perusing over the years, as the first impression is really, really positive. But like a bad house guest, the more time you spend with it the more you realize how many crumbs it leaves on the floor. In general I have a hard time wearing aldehydes, and htis is the bulk of my complaint.

WardrobeMistress's avatar

Strawberries and Champagne by Victoria's Secret

Shhh...don't tell anyone ...but actually..(whisper it, now) I kinda like this...

Despite my dislike of all things pink & frooty, I do actually find the corners of my mouth turning up slightly when I raise my wrist to my nose.

It's bright and bouncy and just so very cheerful. It's a strawberry cassis champagne cocktail, it does exactly what it says on the tin. OK it's not sophisticated. It requires no intellectual effort to dissect, enjoy and appreciate it. Would I wear it to a job interview ? No. Would I wear it when I have seduction in mind? No. Will I wear it when I'm slobbing around the house in jeans and a sweater on a grey rainy day? Absolutely!

I certainly think it stands up to scrutiny just as well as Miss Dior Cherie, which is a frag I have (so far) intensely disliked with all its girly-girl strawberry caramel fug, but here the champagne takes the plastic strawberry (and yes, it is a plasticy-strawberry, what did you expect, miniature wild strawberries hand plucked from the banks of an Alpine stream?) down a few notches thanks to its slight yeasty-toastiness and the blackcurrant adds a little depth and richness to what could have been a pink plastic doll extravaganza.

It's no masterpiece, but it's a whole lot of fun... Cheap and very very cheerful.

cK one Summer 2006 by Calvin Klein

CK One Scene is a pleasant summer scent… It opens citrusy and spicy (I find most of it somewhat spicy) and floral, and it’s a very refreshing form it takes. The ylang-ylang is quite prominent and pushes the scent toward the feminine side for a while. I do see it somewhat related to CK One, and I think it’s a worthy successor to the original. I like the dry down – the amber is clean and clear, the musk is quite weak, the woods provide a bit of masculinity that is needed for a unisex fragrance. The drydown, however, does not have the strength and longevity that it should. A nice fragrance, very pleasant.

cK one Summer 2008 by Calvin Klein

CK One Summer 2008 features a watermelon note and a mint note in the opening – as usual, I don’t get the cucumber that is listed in the pyramid. Summer 2008 is fresh and clean – freshly aquatic and cleanly citrus from the opening through the middle. It has a soft wood drydown. It’s an enjoyable fragrance. I think Summer 2008 is similar to the 2006 CK One Summer. The only problem I have with the fragrance is that it doesn’t seem to have enough longevity.

Anthracite pour L'Homme by Jacomo

Looking like a slab of deep red rock, the box cuts quite an imposing presence on the shelf. It even feels as solid as it looks, like a block of well, anthracite. Inside is a pebble- shaped bottle in matted black. It feels hefty despite its small size, and rock-solid. As affordable as they come, it seems Jacomo doesn't stinge on packaging. You can actually ship this across the world without protective bubble-wraps.

Well, enough about the packaging. What about the scent?

On my skin I get a spicy blend of lavender with hints of cypress over a fougere frame, fleshed out with some vague florals and oakmoss. Nothing sweet in here, just a clean and slightly musky masculine fragrance with a barber shop-ish vibe. If you like Rive Gauche pour Homme, you'll probably love this. I can't tolerate the YSL but I'll gladly wear this Jacomo, so go figure. It might feel a little 'old school' for some so I doubt if it will appeal to the boys. But I can already see some smiles among the gentlemen out there...

Epic Woman by Amouage

Mmm, Epic Woman, the discovery of the year for me, after I came back from Oman with a bag full of samples. In the Amouage shop in Muscat I could not fully appreciate Epic Woman. But after I came back to Europe, I tried the samples again and found Epic Woman to be quite a "total" and "full" smell. With Epic Woman on you, you don't need anything else. It also develops quite nicely on pure wool: I wear woollen ponchos in wintertime and I find it a good combination: Epic Woman and a woollen sweater.

It is a good scent for wintertime: it is a warm scent, and for daily use: it is not over the top at any point and stays in the back-ground zone: when wearing Epic Woman, you yourself are fully aware of the scent and as soon as you come into a room, the people there will sense a feeling of well-being and everybody will ask where that delicious smell comes from. Then, anybody approaching you will simply adore the smell, they will find it and you "sweet". It is not pungent at any point. It definitely reminds of a catholic cathedral in southern Europe. But there are roses, geranium, jasmin, etc. etc. as well.

Beautiful bottle. Always go for the 100 ml. straight away: it is so much cheaper to buy the bigger size.

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

I thought He Wood is as banal as it gets so I wasn’t prepared to like this flanker at all. I was wrong; this is one of those times when a flanker actually outshines the original. The skillful blending allows the fresh cedary incense to shine, while softly sweet nuances of lily provide the masterstroke. Who says synthetic notes have to smell harsh?

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

'Moorish Leather'. Inspired by the ancient Moorish tradition of perfuming leather products, Sheldrake has created a gorgeous leather scent with CUIR MAURESQUE. It is smoky-ambery, slightly dusty & lightly spiced, favoring aspects of leather that sit somewhere between Helmut Lang’s Cuiron and Parfum d’Empire’s Ambre Russe. Or perhaps a hybrid of Lutens’ own Daim Blond and Fumerie Turque.

I do get the dried fruity sweetness of Lutens’ house note but it is mild, staying mainly in the drydown along with some vetiver. The big problem I seem to have with it is its lack of projection and poor staying power; it stayed active for no longer than 2 hours on my skin before fading away to a light ambery skin scent. But it smells smooth enough for a gallon-big purchase!

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

"Romeo Gigli" by Romeo Gigli is NOT a masculine perfume, but a feminine, and no longer in production, and should have a picture of an oval bottle with cursive texts in white letters scribbled onto it going along with the reviews.....

I find Romeo Gigli a good scent for summer time. In the opening notes, it may come across as a pungent and cheap smell, but this does not last longer than the first 1,5 seconds. Then, the complete freshness and sweetness of bergamot and bitter orange and the sweetness of rose, the freshness of verbena and the heavy sweetness of neroli unfolds. After you have sprayed this perfume, you may go out and then you will notice the patchouli, which makes this such an interesting perfume to go an meet people: you will smell like patchouli, in other words: you will carry the wildness of the flower-power hippy with you, but only as a slight and for others subconscient hint, because all the other smells are there to camouflage the patchouli. What stays after a couple of hours is the memory of civet with tobacco, which makes this the perfect perfume to also mix with male company.

Ubar Woman by Amouage

I like this scent, but would not wear it on a daily basis. Would only want to buy a smaller, 50 ml. bottle.

This smell is a nice and romantic smell. It find it so heavy that I would only put it at night time: either when going out to theater or a concert of classical music, or when I expect to meet my lover/man.
    It does not linger ultralong.

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The first review was spot on. L’EAU does smell ‘clean’ - very much like the disposable fresh wipes you get at certain seafood restaurants. It might be a touch warmer and less harsh but completely unnecessary in the Lutens line-up. Strictly for avid collectors who are looking to complete their Serge Lutens collection.

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Just like industrialized orange juice... I mean much worse.
    AWFUL.

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I disliked the opening. It was harshly aldehydic with no softer elements as counterbalance. The arrival of incense didn’t make it more palatable either. After around 10 minutes I did detect something floral lurking in the background but its identity remained hidden. And when the jammy rose finally made its appearance beyond the 20-minute mark, it did not floor me. Neither did the rest of the fragrance.

Maybe I just grew bored of it. Perhaps the excellent Jubilation XXV had raised my expectations higher than they needed to be. It’s just that as a composition JUBILATION 25 breaks no new grounds. It retains the classic feel of Chanel No.5 and smells similar to Fendi. While it is superbly constructed I can’t say if it is better than its predecessors.

At Amouage’s more exclusive prices, Jubilation 25 could certainly afford to impress with a little more originality. Instead, wearing it might just make you feel as though you are going to a high society gala dressed in a pricier version of the outfit you wore to the prom 25 years earlier. Others however might call that 'classic'.

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

An elegant fougere in the mold of Loewe Esencia. Despite its ‘unisex’ label, I honestly doubt if any woman would want to wear it - this is as masculine as it gets, with a profile that hints at lavender, clary sage, oakmoss and myrrh. It is a classy scent for a gentleman, a little barbershop-like and mellows out to a light ambery drydown. Lovely but a little linear. I just wish it projects better.

roteus's avatar

Bois d'Iris by Different Company

I am not a big fun of IRIS...
    I tried this sample and, even if it's a nice glass vial,
    not to press the pump somehow do not satisfy me.
    All the DC line is superior (except for the OSMANTHUS) and original (ROSE POIVRÉE and JASMIN DE NUIT). Jean-Claude Ellén is synonym of quality products.

The perfume starts with soft-spicy bergamot and touches of virginian cedar-wood quicklying taking part and characterizing the composition.
    The iris-butter starts taking position pretty soon but the combination with the cedar-wood make a super-dry effect with a just sharpen-pencil result.
    Luckily there is a "Florazon-ßdamascon" violet aspect taking part and balancing all situation. The dry-down is sweeter and goes even more powdery.

Classy and long lasting I can see it sailing in a summer morning with temperature rising up quickly emphasizing up the buttery notes but, if I would ever buy an Iris perfume, Iris Silver Mist or Iris de Nuit would be my choice!

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

A softly sweet citrus that smells very much like satsuma (a variety of clementine native to Japan), with the barest hint of jasmine in the heart. The smooth sandalwood and tonka drydown reminds me somewhat of Monsieur Balmain’s own. Overall, it’s nicely put together but I prefer a little more bite in my citrus.

Fragman's avatar

England England

Aventus by Creed

Smells wonderful, but sadly, doesnt last.

Got a sample from Harrods and thought, after the amount I had put on, I would smell it for a week.. 2 hours at the most.

would never spend the money on it as it simply doesnt last.

close, but not close enough. too much money, for too little.

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Recently bought this as although I dont really like the scent as it goes on - too grassey - it develops into something really nice and fresh and seems to change with time. Lastes for several hours - may be better than the comme de garcons Vetiver but I am not sure...

jzzbassman's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Yep. Another one with the sample from fragrance net. I think if you look up "meh" in the dictionary you would find this one.

Smells fresh when you first put it on, and continues to smell nice during dry down, but just has no projection or longevity.