Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Dry, sharp cypress, leather, cedar with plenty of cardamom. The bottle is the best thing about it because the juice inside is nothing special.
    It begins with light citrus mixed with cypress, cardamom over leather and wood. It's just not that intersting and the limited longevity doesn't help either. It's not bad nor great

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

Asha describes this perfectly.

The One is a nice fragrance: It has an enjoyable aroma; it’s competently put together; but it could use some touches of true inspiration. In the end, the rating has to be neutral because of its lack of depth and breadth.

Gold Woman by Amouage

Amouage Gold was presented in the Amouage shop in Muscat, Oman, as the flag ship of the entire Amouage line.
    I was disappointed. I don't like Amouage Gold. It has a very sharp and pungent scent and smells very very chemical. It smells like a sharper and more pungent copy of one of the by-products (eau de toilette / shower gel / ....) of Chanel 5. It smelled like an expensive toilet spray to me, one that I definitely not even would choose for that purpose.

Dia Woman by Amouage

Not as bad as Amouage Gold, but I also find "Dia" a quite sharp, pungent and chemical scent. I was given a sample of Dia in the Amouage shop in Muscat but decided to give it away (the reader of this may have it) because I simply can't stand to wear it.

Ciel Woman by Amouage

One of the better Amouage scents. Light, floral, green. Unfortunately, does not last very long. Unfortunately, still a little pungent and chemical, like it's sisters Gold and Dia.
    But why pay so much money for such a simple and not really attractive scent?

Lyric Woman by Amouage

Lyric is an Amouage I was tempted to buy, after discarding Gold and Dia and doubting about Ciel.
    It is an interesting scent, because it combines green, light, florals with sweet notes and an oriental heavy undertone, hence it has a little bit of warmth, which "Ciel" lacks. Yet, I decided not to buy this fragrance, as it still has the sharp and pungent chemical sting that Gold and Dia have in common. It also does not last very long. Why spend so much money on something that does not fully satisfy?
    I decided I would not even want it as a toilet refreshener.

Quizás, Quizás, Quizás by Loewe

Mmm, I rarely like a scent and yet I seem to be the only one here to write a positive review?

I found this perfume, Quizas Quizas Quizas by Loewe on a warm sunny day. Today I tried this perfume again to write this review. It is snowing and cold and that just does not match this perfume.
    Quizas Quizas Quizas is a typical summer perfume and it is very typically Spanish or even mediterranean --- maybe because it reminds of "Agua Lavanda" by Puig? To someone from Northern Europe Quizas Quizas Quizas smells like middle-aged ladies, but mediterraneans like it and Arabs adore it, when you wear it, I mean. I bought a 100 ml. bottle and later laid my hands on some samples which I always carry with me whenever I travel. After a long a dusty bus ride in Africa, I take a shower and spray some QQQ and, voila, I feel fresh again and everybody else perceives me as fresh and clean.

When I use QQQ before going out on a warm day, I like to first spray QQQ on the first layer of clothing, then put all other layers of clothing and then top the whole thing of with a spray of Euphoria (Calvin Klein). I find it a great combination.

Beautiful bottle, feels nice in the hand, love the colour of the liquid.
    The bottle is on my bed-side below my buddha-batik.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Whenever I wear this, both men and women who come near me put their nose in the air, sniff, say it smells so nice, then ask who is wearing that perfume, then come near to me, ask me whether I am wearing that perfume, say they love it and want to know it's name.
    These experiences made me buy a few more bottles of Euphoria (Calvin Klein) and the shower gel and body lotion and body powder as well!

I once went to a big dance party in a beach bar and told some girls, while we were surrounded by beers and sand, that I swore I smelled Euphoria there. They then said that indeed they had dropped a bottle of perfume there and it turned out to be Euphoria.
    Unmistaken.
    Why is patchouli not mentioned in the ingredients? To me, it seems that what lingers on in Euphoria is the patchouli, a sweet version of it, which links the wearer to the wildness and adventurousness of the hippies, like a promise of intriguing and wild adventures.

's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Maybe this is no scent for people who've never actually been to a Russian church... to a place like Zagorsk (nowadways called Jewgenij Possad again) or a fairy-tale town like Suzdal....-
    but if you want to travel to such a place... scentwise... try Zagorsk in a bottle. It is a theme-fragrance, probably inappropriate for daily use, use in offices and banks...but in the privacy of your home, in winter, it can work marvels. It's extremely atmospheric and heart-moving, especially when you long for the medidative, sheltering feeling only a Russian church can provide you with (And normally, I claim to be an atheist...). Well, I know this is highly subjective stuff I'm writing here, but on the other hand, olfactory experience is totally subjective. One of the fragrances I don't want to live without.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 December, 2010)

Asrar Attar by Amouage

I went to the Amouage shop in the shopping mall in Muscat, Oman. I did not like any of the scents, and definitely not the "Gold"! However, I was in the mood to buy and the shop-keeper then showed me the attars as a final resort, in despair. Also these I did not like, until the very, very last: "Asrar Attar Amouage"; that makes an AAA!
    Wonderful and amazing!
    I bought the full 30 ml. bottle on the spot.
    The girl added a fortune's worth samples to my purchase.
    After I got back to Europe, I tried them in the more toned down environment of my own home. I then also quite liked Epic Woman and ordered a bottle with a friend who happened to be in Oman. I found Ubar too heavy for common purposes, and Lyric a little bit too acid and light.

Asrar Attar --- Amouage
    -a rare scent, sweet and yet a little bit pungent through the massively overpowering effect of the saffron. Asrar is mainly a *saffron* scent. Thus, it has a slight reminiscence of a Tibetan temple, of Iranian saffrani chai (saffron tea) of the brand "Zanbagh". But, then, it is infinitely sweeter than a temple, it is sweet and warm like a warm warm bath, like a lovely embrace....
    one drop with the glass stick is enough for two ears and two wrists.....

after rubbing it in the skin, smell it again. After a while, a new smell develops on my skin,
    like a slight reminiscence of Indian paan, the stuff they eat after dinner there, which lifts the scent up through it's zest from the mere warmy nicey lovely bath idea; the Indian paan-zest keeps it interesting and perky......

and yet, you can come back easily to the warmth of the initial scent...

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2010)

jaimez's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Dolce & Gabbana is one of my top ten favorite fragrances. The interaction of top notes, middle notes and base notes is a perfect symphony to me. It has great longevity and projection. Every time I wear Dolce & Gabbana I invariable get complements from people. The fragrance is smooth, a little sweet and a bit citrusy, but it has great presence and identity. As the fragrance matures on my skin, the scent is enhanced; I feel the sweet tobacco, the distinctive, spicy aroma of neroli and the sensual almond. Many types of cologne smell similar to me, but DG is unique and distinctive. I have read many negative reviews, 35 to be precise, and I believe the reviewers are honest connoisseurs of fragrances. However, I have to disagree with them and it just confirms that we are all different and our judgment of fragrances at the end it is a very subjective art. Especially if you take into account our different skin types and chemistry reaction to different fragrances. I need to travel a lot and I try to take three or four colognes (1.3 oz. or 1.7 oz.) in each trip. The one that I never forget to pack is Dolce & Gabbana, the other three could be changed according to my mood, the destination and purpose of trip.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

Weimar27's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Don't be fooled by reviews that this is a dark scent ok it has good amount of incense but i'ved smelled perfumes that
    are darker then this like Habanita and amouage Lyric Woman but it promises to offer coziness and warmness those are the
    ones i agree with, Black Cashmere has the same dominant note of Saffron as of Chaos
    but not as overpowering then chaos

it does give you to cozy feel of a cashmere sweater i also love the nutmeg
    note it reminiscent to the scent of hot espresso on a cold winters day curled up
    with a good book,

the spices are suble and yet noticible
    and with carnation to warm the senses
    and powdery rose to dry the middle for
    the more woodsy touches of Sandalwood
    pure and uncut warm amber and vanilla

I wouldn't called it Opulent dark mysterious I think it's a little to
    shy for that and a bit modest but
    Cozy warm and Soothing.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2010)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is the most disgusting perfume in the market. Puking inducing gags was my first reaction to it and almost passed out. The worse part is its longevity, you can not get rid of the scent, even after a couple of showers, the abnoxious smell lingers and lingers to no end. The headache I got after only one skirt was awful and do not desire to subjet myself (neither people close to me due to its stadium clearing sillage) to this obnoxious concoction.
    The thing that I do not understand is that why people uses this when there is a much better version of the same thing. Animale Animale is not only much better, but also more sophisticated, softer, not "in your face" like A*men, and more than anything, Animale Animale costs less than one fifth. Stay away of this aberration and try Animale Animale for a better version of the same thing.
    Animale Animale was released earlier than A*men, so A*men is just a poor imitation. Go for the original.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Joop! Jump is a vibrant, creamy fragrance that is sweet with a blast of freshness at the same time. Think sugary, candied, creamy oranges. Comparisons to Le Male.....I find this to be a lot fresher, not as overtly sweet, not as cloying. A wonderful fragrance for a young person who wants to smell different than their peers, and certainly acceptable for someone in their 20's as well. Works in all seasons as well, a very pleasant scent. Last a while, as with all Joop! scents. I do agree with the comparison to Blue Jeans by Versace, however I like this a lot better. It's much more accessible, and it smells better than Blue Jeans, in my opinion. While sweet, this still retains its masculinity.

Good sillage, so don't spray too much, lest you want to be tasting it! Also, this juice is strictly casual - I can't imagine someone wearing this with a suit and tie.

EDIT: My tastes have changed and I find Joop! Jump a lot sweeter than I did before, but it's still unique and enjoyable in small doses.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2011)

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

This is actually a really interesting fragrance. Vanilla and patchouli with a background of rose and amber mixed with spices. The rose isn't that prominent which is good and while I do like this, it smells far too feminine for me to wear but, I'd love to smell it on a woman that doesn't overapply because this is STRONG. Longevity and sillage are very high and the scent itself is pretty addictive. Sweet tooths would absolutely love this one and is mainly only for cold weather. This would be far too strong to be worn in warmer weather.
    Creamy, spicy vanilla and patchouli with rose, an interesting faint plum note and amber lending a nice touch.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2011)

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

This is quite an odd scent overall and only people with an open mind should sample it. Why? It's top notes aren't very appealing overall unlike most fragrances. It's incense, syrupy wood, violets, metallic iris and plenty of cedar. The more it dries down it becames VERY nice and where it shines. It smells like a unique floral bouquet with sweet incense and syrupy wood in the background. I say syrup because the wood doesn't feel dry, yet sweet, thick and heavier. It's not that heavy of a fragrance though and is extremely smooth and not sharp at all.

It lasts all day and projection is above average to average. It's a scent that really shines once you wear it, not sampling on your skin.
    Very unique and definitely a must try.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2011)

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Thumbs always up!!! Love this one!!! Notes balanced in a perfect way.

Great for daywear... especially here in Brazil!!! Extremely cool and sporty.

Chandler Burr is so damn right!!! "should be part of all men wardrobes..."

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2011)

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

I'm not sure what it is about this fragrance but it smells DISGUSTING! I don't say that very often about fragrances since I do like most of what I sample yet, only will buy something if I'm really compelled by it because after all, fragrance is meant to smell good. It's boozy in a really bad way and very sharp and doesn't seemed refined. One of the few fragrances I had to scrub off. The only thing I like about it is the bottle.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2011)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

Fougere Royale circa 2010 is perhaps the relaunch of an historic fragrance, but it did not bowl me over, or offer anything revelatory about the structure or character of these types of fragrances. It was neither eye opening nor jaw dropping. While it is certainly not boring, and I liked it a lot, it was not so compelling as to displace the ferns from Penhaligon and Trumpers, in my estimation. Further, it didn't say anything so new as to make it a "must have" for fougere lovers unless there is a need to own all such fragrances. FR may have come before those others, but the FR that is available today doesn't displace the other good-to-excellent alternatives on the market. It settles into a lovely classic mens' fragrance that becomes more barbershop that the other ferns I have mentioned, and it has more staying power than either Wild Fern or English Fern. Nevertheless, at the relatively high cost of entry, one would want to be seriously seduced into buying it. So far that has not happened to me.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2011)

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Unusual scent and it does get comments from others. It lasts for ages on the skin and can last for days on a jacket if you spray it by accident - this can be a bad thing!! A collegue of mine wears it all the time and when around him it can start to make you feel sick. I liked it when i first came across it but I sprayed it on my sons cuddly toy recently and it was there for days and days. Its just too much .

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2011)

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

This fragrance I've been going back and forth on this one. Initially I liked it, then i felt it was a bit too chemical-esque. After sampling on skin more it loses that and is quite nice and loses that chemical edge. It feels like a better Silver Mountain Water. SMW loses it's top notes and it's base is rather dull and flat. Hamptons is extremely long lasting and projects very well which isn't common for this type of scent. On paper it's not very pleasing but on your skin is where it shines. It isn't highly original but it smells great on skin and one I like.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2011)

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

This smells like a typical eau de cologne yet, is pretty well done. Citrus, florals and herbal vegetal greens. It's smooth, long lasting and does what it aims to do quite well. It's very fresh, herbal while at the same time being bold and unique for a typical Eau De Cologne type of scent.
    This stuff lasts for a long time and projects quite well. The sillage trail is absolutely beautiful and this is truly a unisex fragrance. The more you wear this the more you like it as it's completely uplifting. This is very underrated. It's a three way hybrid of a tart lively citrus, an Eau de cologne and herbal bold freshness.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2011)

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I used to like this one... Really!!! I don´t know why but I think it was made for teenagers parties nights ... Happy and nowadays extremely ordinary! at least here in Brazil.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2012)

adele h's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

Heads up here- this is incredibly powerful! That said on my skin it's flowers and more flowers, tuberose being the most prominent. The aldehydes give it a somewhat soapy edge and the civet is not overly prominent; there are roses and more roses. It's way over the top so I understand why the reviews are divisive..but wow this is something to be reckoned with!

Chance by Chanel

This review is about Chance (Chanel) eau de TOILETTE, not about the eau de parfum. After researching this matter again and again, I came to the conclusion that the one I really like is the eau de TOILETTE, which does not have vanilla, which the eau de parfum does have.
    Chance eau de toilette is a succesful composition of both sweet, warm and yet fresh and not heavy notes. The lack of vanilla makes that it does not become too heavy and that it maintains a certain freshness and light-footedness, but does not become green nor cheap.

Mambo for Women by Liz Claiborne

Mambo is a tropical fruity / floral with mango, peach, citrus as the fruit and ylang ylang, orange blossom, and hibiscus as florals. It has a base of sandalwood, musk and vanilla. The notes seem to be thrown in the pot with no regard for each other, and no regard for any kind of balance or refinement. It's mainly synthetic, and what isn't synthetic is gaudy. It smells better on paper than on my skin, so it's probably the skin chemistry that makes it seem so bad.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Nautica Oceans by Nautica

A very nice tropical/lemon/rose/fruity mix, with a hint of lavender and spice. The first time I tried this on I got mediocre longevity.. around the 6 hour mark. But, the 2nd time this stuff lasted all day and all night, I could even smell it a little when I woke up.. Quite impressive in the longevity department for an aquatic type frag, but the longevity is temperamental, and varies.. some days I'll get 6 hours, others I'll get 18. On a day where I get 18 hours, (or smell it when I wake up in the morning) mind you, it's barely a fragrance at that point, it's very watered down, but still there, and still pleasing.

This fragrance is on the same style as IZOD, Set Sail St Barts, Virgin Island Water, Sunset Voyage, Voyage, Island Voyage, Sunset Heat, etc. It's very tropical, but still pretty versatile which is nice because some of those others are hard to pull off, even in warmer weather.

suburbanites's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

This is definitely a fragrance worn by a more mature set, those who appreciate the subtleties of an artful mix of components to reveal a construction that equals more than the sum of its parts. Of course, being Hermes, everyone immediately invokes the thought of leather whether or not it's a part of the whole. On my skin, I get the hint of citrus at the top that fades almost immediately into a much deeper note that is pleasant and subtle in nature. It transforms very quickly to the base notes (less than an hour, you're there), and you'll immediately focus on the sandalwood base and the creaminess of the vanilla that all evoke the softness of a refined leather.

Now as to why a Neutral review, given that I liked the scent. Sillage and longevity are both quite poor. This fades to nothing after about four hours, and in order to detect any fragrance at all, your nose needs to be directly against it. So this isn't something that is bound to offend or be off-putting to an audience because they simply won't smell it. I've tried this about 3 times now, and each time has revealed the same result of inadequate longevity and low concentration. While I appreciate the complexity and subtlety of a fragrance, it's possible to be too understated compared to other similar fragrances.

stevolution's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I smelled this in Perfume Mania. Either it was off, or it really does smell like shit. Very indolic, this one. I expected it to be very round and flowery at the start, but it was quite sharp and peppery. I tested it on paper rather than my arm. The SA warned me about it. He ask if I was familiar with Le Male and that it's nothing like it's older sibling. He was reluctant to get me a sample of it....like he was ashamed to! I can see why. Pass.

SirSlarty's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

A crisp, fruity floral. A touch tart. Very strong at first. Doesn't seem to linger for very long, though. Best for daily wear. Nothing outstanding.