Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

shamu1's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Ikon starts off promising, like a darker, more incense-based Envy For Men. The razor sharp incense and wood notes in the opening and heart are impressive, giving Zirh a nice dark and spicy edge that I really like.

The problem is with the drydown, which comes quickly. What started as a bold, spicy incense scent turns to vinegar pretty quickly, emitting a cheap, sour smell that is quite unpleasant. It smells like all the cash was spent on the top notes in Ikon, because the drydown reveals some pretty cheap and synthetic smelling raw materials. It's not that the drydown smells terrible (it's slightly better than Rocabar's drydown), but it makes Ikon a fragrance that I can't see myself reaching for very often except on those rare cold days when I have a real hankering for incense. Not awful, but a disappointment nonetheless.

As an aside, Ikon's poor quality of materials makes this a terrible fragrance to layer with other scents.

MY RATING: 6/10

ArataCPA's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

My husband and I tested this in the store as an option for him, and I HATED it. I admit, we did not wait for the drydown, but the intial smell was soooooo horrible that I DID NOT CARE if the drydown was nice. I'm not sure if anyone else smelled the same thing, but all I could smell was cherry flavored Robitussin cough syrup . . . YUCK!

ArataCPA's avatar

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

If my husband were writing this review, he'd give it a huge thumbs up; it is his favorite scent for me. Too me, it's too sweet and too yound initially, but it dries down to a more subtle sweet scent that you do grow to love. I am more thumbs up than thumbs down on this one, but I have to give it a neutral because of the too strong, too sweet beginning.

SirSlarty's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom by Donna Karan

Very much like the original Be Delicious but more fruity, less tart apple and much lighter. Very youthful. Kinda fleeting though.

Cédre by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

The opening leaves a lot to be desired - it's too ordinary. The use of woods in Cedre is very well done, but I don't care for the combination of spices. My main problem with it, though, is the super powerful violet note that attacks me with a vengeance. I'm patiently waiting for the violet craze to run its course.

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

Dynamic Pulse is a quite ordinary aquatic-type fragrance. It's very synthetic with a lot of headache induction potential. Some of these Adidas scents are quite good—and many are ok—just not this one… Originally submitted 24 May 2007

Kalynne's avatar

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

RE: New Fougere Royale. Without knowing the notes I was expecting something a bit old fashioned and floral in a boring way. I gave the back of my hand a good spray. An inch of oily residue stayed put. My impression, oh it's fresh and citrusy. Hmm...bergamot and the sort of lemony bite of geranium that I love. I think geranium is the star. Not too floral, don't really pick up the carnation, but maybe it's a support. A touch of something a bit herbal. It came off like a great herbal body spray. 4-6 hours later, geranium, clary sage, oak moss, and possibly tempered carnation. Vanilla isn't too sweet. My skin sweetens everything, which is a problem since I'm more of a spicy not sweet girl! This is just right! I might be in love. This is not an old scent, it has energy that keeps going all day while as it evolves, but does not completely give up it's top notes. Love geranium for that and a little needed synthetic I suppose. Another scent to put on my must-have list!

Parallel Bisector's avatar

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

This is the perfect Class/Work frag for anyone 16-25ish. When I used to wear this I would get stopped all the time by men and women asking what I was wearing, sooo many compliments. It has a very mainstream scent and is very linear but just about everyone I've asked about it loves it. Longevity really is terrible though (2hrs tops for me), so always keep the bottle with you for several re-applications throughout the day.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The violet note is first off the blocks, followed seconds later by some very shortlived orange blossoms. The rose accord joins in with its mildly fruit jam-like presence but is well complimented by the powdery violets, a light dusting of irises and a green stemlike note that reminds me of Diptyque's excellent L'Eau dans L'Ombre. As with many L'Artisans, the scent lingers close to the skin, playfully switching between a soft rose-violet accord and one that smells a lot like 'body lotion'. Delightfully drôle indeed!

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Aoud Leather by Montale

I like it, especially in winter morning. The present leahter with a smoke shade, but оуд I do not feel here...

's avatar

Jailia by Profumi di Pantelleria

A brilliant alternative to people who want "Angel" with a bit more of a refined attitude.
    Top-notes are fruity and indredibly lush...to me, it's like a can of over-ripe, yellow peaches and mangoes in heavy syrup. I don't know which of the fragrances came first, Angel or Jailia, but the latter seems to be made of superior ingredients and doesn't have any of the harsh, chemical notes to it which I don't like in Angel. Nevertheless, I don't find this fragrance very innovative and the genre itself is not my cup of tea either.

Dr. Cologne's avatar

Coach Leatherware by Coach

Leatherware is definitely a nice fragrance to wear. To me, the opening isn't too attractive, as it's a rather sharp and, as SirSlarty mentioned, harsh citrus scent. With that, once you let the top notes sit and mellow out, (after about 15-30 minutes), the fragrance really transforms into a balanced scent with hints of the top notes. For me, this is a very safe and grounded cologne. I can wear it at the office, as well as school. Longevity is not an issue for me as I applied this some 10 hours ago and can still smell it, although faintly, on my arm. The strong range seems to be between 6-8 hours though.

I would apply three sprays in total: one on each wrist/forearm, and one around the lower-mid neck.

Riccardo's avatar

Seductive by Boadicea the Victorious

Sorry , but the scent pyramid listed here for this perfume is not correct. No yerba mate, leather or iris root trace in Seductive. The right composition is rosemary, fir, pepper, resins, jasmine, ambergris, musk, sandalwood and patchouly. It's a very sensual fragrance with a green-balsamic-spicy opening, an intoxicating, oriental heart and a woody and dark base. A luxury, strongly male frangrance. Very refined and original, but wearable at the same time. A scent with great personality.

mrclmind's avatar

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Differences in perceptions and taste constantly amaze me. I am at a loss as to how anyone could not love this scent. It is one of the finest commercial sandalwood scents available. Although some what sweetened with coffee, chocolate and spices, this is a very pure interpretation of the sandalwood note. It has the perfect balance between creamy and dry, no real rough edges to speak of, excellent longevity and very moderate sillage. It's everything and more I have ever wanted in a sandalwood scent. It is worth it's price and more. One of the finest offerings from this house indeed.

MuskandSpice's avatar

England England

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I absolutely LOVE this perfume with a passion. I have recieved so many compliments from men and women alike, asking what perfume I was wearing. I don't know where you guys all live, but personally, living in the country, I am the only person I know who owns this perfume. I love the musky undertones that appear after a few hours, they make me feel elegant and feminine. However, my family is split with the descision of whether it is likable or not. My Father dislikes this perfume, as he says 'it burns his nose', whereas my Mother loves it as I do. So I suppose it's whether you like the scent or not. But for me, since the very first time I smelt this at the Chanel counter, I fell in love.

Jestersinthemoon's avatar

Lemon Sorbet by Etro

If you want a great fresh and true lemon scent, go for Art of Shaving's Lemon EdT. While it may be punctuated by some white flowers, it is still a very fresh tart and clean, lemon scent that lasts all day long.

I often lean toward being very forgiving when grading Citrus scents, as Lemon/Lemon Blossom, Neroli, Bergamot, Petitgrain, and Orange Blossom tend to be some of my favorite fragrance notes. I really enjoy most predominantly citrus based scents.

However, Lemon Sorbet was a huge disappointment to me after AoS Lemon and others that successfully captured the freshness and clarity of citrus notes. It may have started out ok,though even the initial lemon top note doesn't have the tartness and sharp pop that I want. From there it was a disaster. Not only did it fail to last more than about 2 minutes on my skin, but it dried down to a kind of rancid, rotten woody smell, which, thankfully, could not be detected unless one put their nose directly on my skin.

Not impressive..........at all.

cheryl's avatar

L'Ambre by Tan Giudicelli

It opens with a generic fruity shampoo smell. It then turns into a fruity musky shampoo smell. There are slight hints on incense. Then it's a odd shampoo ghost. It's very boring.

Silver Cologne by Amouage

The name “Silver” is a good choice, but the fragrance does not really have much of a metallic ambiance. It does remind me of silver, though. I find the accords delightful. The floral / fruity opening gives an impression of powder, but it is not as powdery as Gold or Dia, a circumstance I will ever be grateful for. I have a difficult time describing it, except to say that it has a strong element of dryer sheet accord to it—granted, it is a profusely opulent dryer sheet with abundant depth and refinement. To my nose, the opening is dominated by an accord of fruit, mixed floral, sandalwood, and frankincense. The frankincense is very rich but highly muted, and the fruit (citrus, plum) have a creamy texture to them. The floral elements and the sandalwood combine in a rich, luxurious combination accord in which I have difficulty separating out the individual notes. There is a sensitive transparency and otherworldliness to the accord that I would guess is attributable to the exquisitely refined patchouli from the base. I think Moon_fish is on to something when he mentions the chypre nature of Silver—that could account for my preferring this to all the other Amouages I’ve tried up til now: I have a special love for the old chypres. I also agree with Robyogi when he says it is reminiscent of Acier Aluminium: There are definite correlations although I don’t find the metallic ambiance in Silver that I found in Acier Aluminium.

This is a charming fragrance; it is rich and refined with accords that I find appealing, and yet it doesn’t scream, it doesn’t overpower. It is entirely restrained, making it completely wearable for my major use of fragrance—the office (so long as I keep the application of it minimal). It is the most masculine of the Amouages I’ve tried so far.... As for buying it, aye, there’s the rub: I am still struggling with the idea of $135.00 for 50mls of a fragrance that could easily be called, “Silver Snuggles.” Also, on my skin, Silver seems to have significantly less longevity than the other Amouage’s I’ve tested. Oh, the irony—the other Amouage fragrances I’ve tried had wonderful (or tedious) longevity, but they had accords I might respect but could not love. Silver has great accords but I am pretty close to giving it a neutral because of its longevity.

Originally submitted 24 May 2007

Redbeard's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge is trying so hard to maintain a saccharine smile that it becomes strained and abrasive. The orange and vanilla top always makes me think of those Creamsicle pops. There's a glimmer of hope as a bit more wood makes itself apparent, but it just can't escape the stiflingly thick red curtain of talcum powder, orange peel, and something anisy. There's also a trace of the skunky, salty kitchen-spice component that bothers me in things like Wellington and Blenheim Bouquet, even though HR is in such a different family from these. Overall, it's an unnatural, unpleasant combination of heterogenous notes that is completely inappropriate for me.

Redbeard's avatar

Aramis Bermuda Tonic by Aramis

Not quite as nail-polishy as the new Lanvin Vetyver or Insense Ultramarine, but honestly very chemical. It's basically a dry, no-frills herbal aquatic scent with just a dash of coconut in the top. I really like the fact that it doesn't burden itself with unnecessary sweetness, but sometimes it's just so plastic and musty that I can't believe it. It reminds me of the dirty, offputting way that the raisins and fruit fragments get in a fruitcake when it's been burnt slightly, or old books that have that darker, slightly rotten smell rather than the lighter, grainy/strawlike smell that everyone loves. I wouldn't mind if the men's room floor smelled like this after being cleaned, but I don't see any reason why I need to smell like it.

Marquis by Anglia Perfumery

This fragrance seems to have been years ahead of its time. To my nose, the lavender stands out prominently from first sniff; it dominates the accord and the citrus and conifer take on a supporting role. I’ve smelled pretty much this same accord in dozens of those late 80s – early 90s fragrances, and as often as not, I do not enjoy them. In the 90s fragrances the opening is often followed by a combination accord that is chock full of every green and herb (in this case) under the sun. I think this one is much better than most of the ‘90s reincarnations, but I still am not a major fan of the opening accord or the conglomeration that follows. Okay…this is a pleasant fragrance with high quality ingredients and a very nice progression. The olfactory combinations that Marquis presents just do not enchant me…it’s an “ehh.”

Originally submitted 12 April 2008

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Calvin by Calvin Klein

I don't know what "version" it is that I obtained a sample of, but it was acquired in the summer of 2010. Calvin is waxy, sweet, floral, dark, rubbery, and unfortunately, a little bit powdery. Well, if you like powdery then that's fine, isn't it? You may try this and think, "hey, SSS lied, this isn't powdery, what an asshat!" And if I could reply to your thoughts, I would tell you to wait a bit. The powdery notes will emerge eventually. It's also deceptively powerful and can become cloying with slight over-application; I put on a half of a sample at 8AM and by noon I was nuclear.

Calvin feels like the perfect fragrance for a metal band. It's dark, which fits metal, but it's also sweet, which would juxtapose with the harsh quality of the music. Although if you apply more than one spray you'll drop dead before the set is over.

Sui Love by Anna Sui

A very sweet fruity / floral that I would guess is meant for the very young woman or the extremely young at heart. The fruits aren’t as fruit as in most fruity / florals, which leaves more room for pure sugar, I would guess. The florals - bergamot and rose and orange flower (they say…) are easy to overlook and forget. I would say calchic’s review is spot on.

Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

I’m not sure what to make of Eau de Charlotte… What dominates to my nose (if I can use the word “dominate” to describe such a sheer fragrance) is a metallic note that hovers over a sheer and delicate floral / green accord. I don’t really get fruity… the blackberry buds come across to me as more floral than fruity, and it puts a slightly urinous edge to the lily of the valley. The mimosa is responsible for the greenness and the slight cocoa note combined with the mimosa seems to bring out that trace of powder… but I must admit, if the others hadn’t mentioned “powder,” I probably wouldn’t have noticed it.

I get little movement from Eau de Charlotte… that’s all right, because it is interesting enough to not need movement. I think I like it: Its tender floral sharpness over its pretty soft greenness comes across as the unremitting intrigue of innocent beauty.

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

Le Chevrefeuille is a very well done green honeysuckle scent. It boasts a honeysuckle note that is more tamed than the honeysuckle I’ve smelled in several other fragrances. This one is a softer floral note with a beautiful green lilt to it. I get a quiet jasmine note in the background that gives the honeysuckle note an aura of warmth. The scent is quite delicate and short-lived… making it typical of many Annick Goutal scents. Beautiful scent… doesn’t last… but it’s beautiful.

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

The opening seems very cologny on my skin—I don’t think its thin sharpness is caused by the spices, I believe it’s from the alcohol and the way the lavender of the opening is employed. The lavender is neither creamy nor aromatic—it’s just rather emaciated and its combination with freesia doesn’t help expand the breadth of the accord. The result is that sharp, thin cologny twang that reminds me of drugstore scents. It’s not bad, just quite common. The sharpness continues into the heart notes with the grapefruit and geranium almost unaffected by the sweetness and thickness of the amber. The base softens and is turns out to be quite attractive with its lavender from the top and geranium from the middle combined with the mossy base. Aqua Quorum is an okay fragrance. It is a decent inexpensive fragrance that acts like a decent inexpensive fragrance; it is probably sweeter than I like, but it does have good longevity.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007

Bostonredlox's avatar

Arpège by Lanvin

I'm torn between giving this a thumbs up or a thumbs down, so I gave it a neutral. I give the original version a thumbs up, but the new stuff gets a thumbs down. I tried vintage bottles of Arpege Ray de parfum that belong to my mother. I used to dab myself with it when I was a child playing with her perfumes. She still has them. Recently I purchased a new bottle of the spray edt. I was extremely disappointed to find that Arpege today smells nothing like the original. With aldehydes and musk oils being replaced by synthetic ingredients, the new formula lacks the heady, intoxicating warmth and the mystery of the original. The new formula has a headache-inducing cloying powdery quality that doesn't mellow out once it dries down. Perhaps the new eau de parfum formula is closer to the Arpege that I grew up with, but for now I'll stick with the vintage formula.

scentsitivity's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Geo F Trumper

A traditional Eau de Cologne with a dominant neroli presence. Pleasant, yet not often discussed for reasons that escape me. Acceptable longevity for a traditional EDC.

bokaba's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Penhaligon's

This was a good try to revive the traditional cologne genre in a modern, popular fragrance house. It's decent and not bad, but lacks a lot of the natural and historical import of many of the top performer's in the area. The opening is a bright lime very similar to their own Extract of Limes--and it is a tad powdery and then burns down to a laundry detergent type musk. Good compared to the like of Chanel and Asprey Purple Water. I would invest in Jean Marie Extra Vieille or one of the Guerlain eaux before shelling out the money for this one.

Powerful by Boadicea the Victorious

Aromatic lemon with medicinal edge in the opening … topped with a tinge of “off.” Underneath the meh opening accord is a meh grapefruit that grows stronger as the chromatic lemon fades. I don’t get the violet… or at least it doesn’t annoy me if its there. I see the opening as very uncoordinated… lacking in identity… but I’m making too much of it because most of the citrus action fades rather quickly (five to ten minutes) before it sinks, insignificantly, to an inferior floral-textured (possibly ylang-ylang accord that comes across to me pretty much as a drug store fragrance. I may be misjudging this – maybe that bit of offness has something to do with the violet note and provides enough annoyance to me to dislike what’s happening in the development. Whatever… After the disappointing opening and heart, Powerful eventually settles down to a musky, powdery, somewhat dirty base that produces enough sillage to explain the name… Powerful… Lacks longevity…