Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

bokaba's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Penhaligon's

This was a good try to revive the traditional cologne genre in a modern, popular fragrance house. It's decent and not bad, but lacks a lot of the natural and historical import of many of the top performer's in the area. The opening is a bright lime very similar to their own Extract of Limes--and it is a tad powdery and then burns down to a laundry detergent type musk. Good compared to the like of Chanel and Asprey Purple Water. I would invest in Jean Marie Extra Vieille or one of the Guerlain eaux before shelling out the money for this one.

Powerful by Boadicea the Victorious

Aromatic lemon with medicinal edge in the opening … topped with a tinge of “off.” Underneath the meh opening accord is a meh grapefruit that grows stronger as the chromatic lemon fades. I don’t get the violet… or at least it doesn’t annoy me if its there. I see the opening as very uncoordinated… lacking in identity… but I’m making too much of it because most of the citrus action fades rather quickly (five to ten minutes) before it sinks, insignificantly, to an inferior floral-textured (possibly ylang-ylang accord that comes across to me pretty much as a drug store fragrance. I may be misjudging this – maybe that bit of offness has something to do with the violet note and provides enough annoyance to me to dislike what’s happening in the development. Whatever… After the disappointing opening and heart, Powerful eventually settles down to a musky, powdery, somewhat dirty base that produces enough sillage to explain the name… Powerful… Lacks longevity…

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I agree that this is very much like Green Irish Tweed—I dislike Chez Bond just as much as I dislike GIT. I’ve never understood the attraction of GIT. I don't understand how this one could be attractive, either.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Another Bond No. 9 rip-off of Creed: Hamptons has been sanitized and made woodier and less sweet, but it is pretty much a blatant copy of Silver Mountain Water. I can understand why some might like this better than SMW—it is cleaner, more technologically precise, and it forms a more predictable pattern in its development than does Silver Mountain Water; I don’t know for certain but I would guess that Hamptons would be less variable on different skin types, too. My main problem with Hamptons is that it just doesn’t smell as good SMW—it is not as strong (not that SMW is strong) and it doesn’t seem to project the higher vibrational notes that I find so attractive in SMW. Also, it is probably just my subconscious, but I think Hamptons is lacking in the creative character that is so prevalent in Creeds (and other maker’s fragrances that Bond copies), and that seems to me to be so missing in the Bonds. But then, as in all preferences in the fragrance universe, it all comes down to skin, nose, personal preferences, and personal prejudices. Hamptons is a very good fragrance, of course, it’s copied from one of the best, and Bond uses excellent ingredients and quality production. But I’ll continue to buy SMW.

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Softness and subtlety are the bywords for Jaïpur Saphir. It has less presence than Jaïpur, but it is not really a washed out version of its progenitor. The fruit and cardamom accord is the first to show up. Then the florals blossom with a beautiful transparency. After that comes the base of amber and vanilla and sandalwood. All the accords are exquisite, and the sillage stays delicate and refined but they retain a genuine presence. Jaïpur Saphir can serve as a model of refinement and proportion. There is nothing in the fragrance that gets anywhere near dissonance, unbalance, or headiness; it is perfect.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007, Taiwan

qwerty73's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A warm mysterious smokey fragrance with hints of honey and piped tobacco.
    This is something i could see James Bond wearing for nights out!

05 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2010)

Talisman by Balenciaga

I think Talisman is quite potent – it certainly knows how to project off my skin. Talisman is a strong fruity floral refined / sensual accords, and excellent longevity. It’s a beautiful oriental that opens very fruity with an excellent lychee note and the sweet dried fruits accord. The accord is lusciously abundant and I think that I can enjoy such fruitiness because it mainly comes in the form of dried fruit which give off a sort of fruit-cake aura, but not to the point where I would call it “gourmand.” The fruit cake aura is helped by a rum note that makes the accord sparkle with more depth than just fruit notes. The fruit / rum has a rich and unique ambiance that I find very sniffable… Why is it that liquor notes are so enjoyable in fragrances? After fifteen or twenty minutes, the heart florals begin taking control of the fragrance, and I get especially a clear warm jasmine and a touch of rose and a sharper little floral that I think is the hyacinth, but the whole heart is abundantly and richly floral – full, but not heady. The drydown is my favorite part, though. It is an ingenious amber / patchouli and a soft leather. It gradually reveals a sandalwood that eventually reaches equality with the amber and patchouli in the accord. The base gets a bit powdery which seems a little out of place. The whole fragrance has a special feel to it – it smells so much better than something this fruity has a right to, IMO. The fragrance has no problem producing adequate sillage. This is a beautiful fragrance, which could, I believe, be easily be seen as appropriate for a man

05 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2011)

suburbanites's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This was a real surprise for me that I liked Terre D'Hermes despite an expectation I would not. The positives: It's very classic, not showy, not overbearing, just the right amount of sillage and longevity in the Pure Perfume. It establishes and maintains a rugged and masculine profile throughout the transformation from Heart to Base Note. The onset of Citrus/Orange quickly dissipates into a more subtle dry cedar with an almost linear metallic aroma becoming the core theme. The character of the scent is masculine, strong, and carries well. For a pure perfume, it's also at an accessible price point (200 ml for $196, 75 ml for $112). It maintains that character without a cloying feeling, and the profile against the skin is more one of cool steel than a warmer or richer fragrance. It's a Hermes that someone under 40 could pull off without trying to feel "stuffy".

The negatives: I don't enjoy it quite the same way as Equipage for my tastes, and the appeal skews younger. While the character is nice, it borders on being somewhat non-descript and very common to the 'light' and "Aqua de Everything" fragrances that dominate the market. Having said that, it's one I would still wear daily, and doesn't become as sharp and offensive as an Abercrombie & Fitch.

I would recommend minimally a try.

05 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2011)

Bulgari Petits et Mamans by Bulgari

This is a pleasant little fragrance for young children. It smells clean and fresh like a high quality baby powder. I particularly like the bit of rosewood and chamomile tinges. I also like that its quiet powder doesn’t have excessive sweetness. Petits et Mamans could have easily been a cliché, but it isn’t; it is clean, natural feeling, and endearing.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

White tea, white pepper, and white musk: this is the fragrance equivalence of “white noise.” It’s very light, but I don’t find it “transparent.” I don’t find it delicately nuanced as in several other light fragrances I’ve experienced—I simply find it quite light weight. I’ve worn it six or seven times, so perhaps I need to be more familiar with it—I know that Bvlgari Pour Homme originally fooled me into thinking it is lighter and of shorter duration than it actually is, but with au thè blanc, I’m not even suspecting: there’s not very much aromatic substance in there. As for the accords: it’s very clean and soft—a light tea and musk—and very Bvlgari. Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au thè blanc is an excellent light fragrance for very hot weather. It is sophisticated and light and it lasts for a really, really short time. I will continue wearing it, and I hope I find I’m wrong about its longevity—I like it except for that. If I’m not wrong, then I’ll just have to make do with Bvlgari Pour Homme and Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au thè vert.
    Originally submitted 11 February 2007, Taiwan

Kerry Rose's avatar

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

My husband bought this for my birthday and I thought I liked it... at first. The sillage bowled my sister over 3 rooms away with one spray and the longevity lasted for over 48 hours after which point I showered it off. My like for this fragrance was short-lived, I'm afraid. I love Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia as the latter note is brought down by the earthy tuberose. However, in Jasmin Noir the gardenia combined with the heady jasmine, woody and tonka bean notes are like listening to a symphony warm up. It's a lovely sound/scent for a few minutes but quickly becomes simultaneously powdery and grating, a real headache inducer. Also, when I wiped my fingerprints off the bottle as I decided to exchange it for a different perfume I noticed it was leaking where the bottom of the golden stem meets the black bottle. Buyer beware! I had a similar problem with my Prada atomizer bottle but solved that problem by purchasing the refillable purse spray.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

Interesting — obviously a fragrance that performs differently on different skins. I think it is a shape shifter because I get somewhat different reactions every time I test it. It begins with an accord that I have difficulty categorizing. I get a soft creamy lavender / bergamot accord and definitely some mint, but I don’t get an herbal effect from the mint or the thyme. At first I didn’t smell any fruit in the mix, but each time I tested it, the fruit note became more apparent. But even after several testings, the opening accord has not become excessively sweet. It’s an excellent opening that I’ve come to appreciate. It gives a neutral warm feeling without emphasizing any particular note. I find it abstract, quite modern, and casual. The heart of the fragrance IS identifiable — it is woody and creamy. To my nose, the cedar and sandalwood stand out with the strong assistance of the geranium and the jasmine. I love this middle accord — the cedar is beautifully presented because it is used with such discretion. It has a warmth to it that I usually don’t get from cedar, and the middle accords are long lasting and entirely sniffable. The drydown turns somewhat recessive, though. The amber simply doesn’t come through for me, although the sweetness of the tonka and some vanilla does. Without the amber, the drydown strikes me as rather thin. In spite of the drydown, this is a good fragrance: It’s never going to be a classic, but it’s a pretty fragrance that will hold its own as a trustworthy casual. The top levels are enjoyable and competently done. The drydown could and should be fuller and broader, but all things considered, it’s a thumbs’ up.

Kerry Rose's avatar

24, Faubourg by Hermès

I've realized that I really need to sample perfumes before buying a bottle on impulse. I really liked this perfume upon first sniff. When I wore it a few days later it seemed incredibly cloying and "perfumey" to me with sillage like a cruise ship! The more I wore it, the more it smelled soapy and way too mature for me. I read somewhere that 24 Faubourg was Lady Di's favorite perfume so I mailed it to her biggest fan, my mother.

Arabian Nights - Pure Oud by By Kilian

Oud without the pain. I enjoy this version of oud so much better than I enjoy the stronger “aouds” in several of the Montale offerings. As with my experience with many other oud notes I’ve tried, the oud in Pure Oud pretty much dominates over the other notes in the mixture, but I find it more tolerable here… tolerable to the point of being desirable. In Pure Oud I do get a bit of an off-note… probably caused by the saffron that is in the pyramid list… saffron usually smells “off” to me, but it is not at all disturbing to me, and the oud note makes up for that.

I enjoy Pure Oud, and if, on an off chance, I were to consider purchasing another oud fragrance, this would be very high in my list of potential candidates.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

Apparition Homme Intense by Ungaro

I don't know what happened, but today, this scent plays the most beautiful music on my skin. I don't know how to described, but THIS IS AWESOME... Sexy, elegant and I feel like a best smelling man on Earth. Longevity is simply great. It's strange, because I used to use Apparition before, but today it made my day. Another plus, it's not too expensive and not popular. And I love the bottle...
    Both thums up!

jcastano's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

This fragrance is the most perfect definition of an oriental/spicy! It is incredibly well blended and absolutely wondeful if used in small amounts. I have extremely dry skin and am lucky to get any type of longevity or sillage on anything but this beauty here gave me 12+ hours with only 2 spritzs and had everyone 3 feet from me telling me how great I smell!
    The vanilla, amber, and nutmeg play very well off one another giving off a smooth, sweet, gourmandish licorice feel to it but the added clove and tonka bean balance the sweetness and almost give it a light incensey masculine feel. Id say it is a psuedo gourmand because of the way it comes off but it's oriental more than anything. When I smelled this for the first time, I immediately had a flashback of being 6 years old and watching my dad stand in front of the mirror, reach into the medicine cabinet in the restroom, pull out the TRES FLORES BRILLANTINE pomade, and apply it as he slicked his hair back with his pocket comb. The smell of the pomade filled the rooms in the house and his truck. Thats what this smells like to me, Tres Flores! It's not at all a bad thing, infact, it's devine! So very masculine and mature, but so much that I gave my bottle away. This fragrance is pure class and sophistication, such likes that I've never encountered before, and I can't see anyone below 40 pulling this off in anything less than a suit and tie. However, when I'm 40, I will definitely be purchasing this again! Final Rating A-

MCTAKE5's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

This is an absolute incredible scent! I can’t get enough of it and I think it’s the best of the Burberry colognes. I find it to be an excellent clothing scent as well, as it last for 9 to 10 hours on my shirt collar. I’m not going to go into describing all the notes and how they transition. It’s all great from start to finish, and the gals love it too. True classic!

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

It takes an effort just to figure out what this is like, it smells hollow. It's pleasant enough overall, but at first spray I was like, "uhm...is it supposed to smell like this?". When it settled it was "this is it?" -- expected more for this frag, too bad.

shamu1's avatar

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

i sampled the reissue of Karma, which is now in a black bottle and is labeled as a Gorilla Perfumes fragrance. I never smelled the original, but this is some truly ghastly juice. It smells like a total amateur hack made this in his bathroom sink, with no attention given at all to balance or blending. It's patchouli, patchouli and more patchouli, thrown together with a screaming loud white laundry musk in its base. Smells like powdered laundry detergent for hippies. Total garbage.

MY RATING: 2/10

hebert's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

I expect you'll find this marvelous scent appearing in discount outlets across America this holiday shopping season. It's mass production and dismal sales mean there's a lot needing liquidation. When you do come across a bottle, buy it! Two if you can.

Ikon is very unexpected. Zirh could have lived up to its reputation for turning out uninspired scents - Zirh and Corduroy had nothing to offer. I guess the third time's the charm. Too bad for Zirh no one was expecting brilliance. I suppose its two strikes and your out in this business.

For 2008, Ikon was forward looking. Creator Frank Voelkl anticipated the next big things in men's fragrance: gingery smokey woodsy. This one scent captures all three trends with tremendous ease. I've worn Ikon a half dozen times now and had it mistaken for a Tom Ford and a Comme des Garcons. It's less eccentric, more wearable than they. It's sensual, sexy, and sweet - a little bit daring. Wear it on a first date and you won't be sorry. Wear it to work if you already have a reputation. Just don't wear it around fragrance snobs.

Ingredient provenance and quality aside, Ikon deserves tremendous praise. And for a mere $12.99, a 4.2oz bottle of Ikon won a place in my daytime lineup.

Hats off to Frank Voelkl whose just created a marvelous scent for Le Labo, the feminine "Baie Rose 26."

The_Cologneist's avatar

Samba Heat Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Samba Heat is a strangely blended creation. Do I like it? Ehh, I enjoy new things, but this isn't much wearable to me. You will get noticed, you will turn heads, but the reactions will be based on your skin chemistry, and the way you carry yourself while wearing this fragrance. I find Heat to be somewhat daring.. Let's get into what it smells like though.

In the opening, I get a pina colada thing going on, that specifically reminds me of that pina colada stuff that they pre-numb your mouth with at the dentist before they give ya the novocaine. It has a very medicinal vibe to it, which you can see from Bigsly's note breakdown. The green tea is definitely there and quite predominant for most of the time, accompanied with strange spices, and bitter woods. I also get a hefty dose of ginger throughout, but more so in the opening and middle. If the somewhat awkward opening doesn't appease you, give it a chance, the middle sweetens up quite a bit and becomes very comforting, too bad it doesn't start from the middle though, I'm not too satisfied with it's opening, but I am intrigued.

This fragrance is aromatic, but doesn't project much, if that makes any sense.. I guess you could say that it projects when it wants to, certain notes in it project more than others, but not enough for the full effect, the effect that you smell when your nose is up close to it. Longevity on this is pretty bad most of the time, usually in the 2-4 hour range, but is better on clothing.. the problem there though, is clothing tends to prevent a fragrance from developing into its full potential, and clothing mostly gives off the top notes for a while, which is not something I want with this one. Price is very low, if you pay more than 12 bucks for the 3.3 than you've overpaid, the bottle is an eyesore though.

Venutian's avatar

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

I have given this scent several tries since I received the samples. I sprayed it a few times on my skin and each time it smelled like crushed black pepper mixed with shower gel or bath soap. It was an atrocious smell that I'm sure non-perfume afficionados would hate. It only became tolerable when the basenotes came into play and I could smell the frankincense and myrrh, scents that I find comforting. I was going to give this one a thumbs down, but after spraying it on a card I realised it's my chemistry with the fragrance that's all wrong, not the fragrance itself. On the card it smells softer and the cinnamon becomes noticeable. When I smell it on the card it reminds me of a cinnamon croissant. If only it smelled more like this on my skin. Ah well.

Venutian's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Two words that sum up L'Instant de Guerlain for me: floral vanilla. This fragrance is a perfect, harmonious blend of flowers, vanilla, citrus honey, bergamot and amber. It's instantly loveable and a great gift to someone who's a starting perfume enthusiast that wants an upgrade to their collection. Lasting power is about 3-4 hours and sillage is excellent: I was in a botanic garden with many exotic flowers and while I commented on their scent, my companion replied, "Well, I can only smell you."

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Acqua di Gioia by Giorgio Armani

Not too bad but it's been done countless of times before. The listed top notes may look unique but the end result remains the same. This is yet another addition to the fruity sugary sweet concoctions that pass for feminine fragrances these days. Move along, people. Nothing new here.

Diorissimo's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Nice enough, smooth in its brief drydown -- then gone in about 30 minutes. Too light for cool weather and not present enough for summer. Disappointing!

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I was looking forward to trying this and had high hopes. Instead I smell like my grandfather used to smell when he was alive, rest his soul. He was a pipe smoker for over 70 years and that is exactly how I smell while wearing this fragrance. The tobacco smell dominates all the other notes and for the whole day- at least for me it does.

I much prefer Guerlain's SDV to Tobacco Vanille. Of course, perfume is such a personal affair and what one individual loves another might hate so while my experience with this Tom Ford fragrance is less than positive another's might be amazing.

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Love this. It is a warm gourmand scent that envelops you and hugs you tight. It makes me happy to smell this. Not too sweet with the perfect mix of vanilla and smoke. With some coconut thrown in for good measure. In a word it is delicious.

Vanille Gourmande by Laura Mercier

I enjoy this scent. I am a vanilla lover and Vanilla Gourmand delivers just that. I agree with Mimi that it is darkly delicious with a smoky edge. However, I disagree with her regarding this vs. the LaVanila line. The LaVanila Vanilla is much less sophisticated and more brash than the Laura Mercier Vanilla Gourmand. At least to my nose. Funny how different people's perceptions of the same scent can be. But we both agree on Tihota which is pure vanilla perfection! However, for a less expensive and less sweet alternative Vanilla Gourmand fits the bill.

rednails's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

The 1970s vintage EDT I have is rich, lively, ambery. All leather lovers should find some for the experience. The contemporary stuff is a shadow of the old dame, alas.

I'd love to sample the vintage extrait.

The_Cologneist's avatar

English Leather by Dana

I have an entirely new found love and respect for this cologne. I found some in my drawer, but it's no longer going to be there.. it's out of hibernation, and on the dresser with all the others.

What I get out of it that I never got before, is a very fresh opening; citrus and limes, the lime note is amazing, but doesn't last long, nor does the citrus top. It smoothly blends into the mossy notes, which are sweet, dry, resinous and somewhat earthy. The middle becomes a bit powdery, which is not something I love, but the mossy notes eventually cancel it out before it once again very SMOOTHLY switches into the leather base. I'd say the leather in this is a bit synthetic smelling, and not very modern, but still delightful, and a pleasure to wear.

This should be a staple in every man's collection. I just wish they made an EDT spray, with better longevity and projection.. but then again, that would ruin the legend that English Leather is.