Fragrance Reviews from February 2010

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Jasmin by Molinard

Another single note winner from Molinard. This is a basic jasmine, no real development. It layers beautifully. If you like to create your own scents by layering high-quality fragrance specialties and bases, these are the scents to use. This one is especially nice layered with any of the following Molinard scents: Fleur de Figuier, Muguet, Patchouli, Vanilla, Amber and/or Heliotrope.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Canoé by Dana

I owned a bottle of Canoe about 5 years ago, hated it, and poured it down the toilet. I don't know if Dana has reformulated Canoe or my tastes have changed, but the little half-ounce bottle I just picked up for $1.25 smells wonderful.

What I used to hate about Canoe was its lack of balance. I remember it having an awful plastic-smelling synthetic note that always lingered in the background, which threw the whole fragrance off balance and made it smell cheap. My wife told me I smelled like an old prostitute when I wore it.

What I am smelling now is simply delightful and truly classic. Gone is the harshness I remember in Canoe, and what I smell now is a perfectly balanced, pure fougere scent, which captures the crisp, clean freshness of a true fougere while being balanced on the other end with tonka and a slight hint of vanilla. The vanilla is used brilliantly in Canoe - it's not used to weigh this down into a syrupy slog, but rather to give the whole scent a buffed-out warmth. My only regret is that Canoe doesn't have any green notes like in Trumper's Wild Fern, but considering how reasonably priced this is, I cannot complain.

I would go so far as to say that Canoe should be a staple in any man's perfume collection. I'm now embarrassed about my earlier comments about Canoe, because this is really excellent.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

English Leather by Dana

It is true that this does not smell like the English Leather I remember my father wearing in the 1970s, but to say that there's no leather in English Leather anymore is nonsense. Yes, English Leather obviously has been reformulated, and I would go so far as to say that it's a completely different fragrance than from 40 years ago.

The difference now is that the leather accord is much more subtle, and that citrus and wood notes now play just as much of a role as leather does in the current English Leather. English Leather now smells like a more concentrated classic eau de cologne, with wood notes and leather acting as fixatives and adding color to what would have otherwise been a bland cologne. It is not sweet like the original EL, and has an overall very dry feeling.

I won't go so far as to say that English Leather is improved over the earlier version, but it is just as good, even if it is very different. I look at the new formulation as a reinterpretation of the classic leather fragrance. I like this scent very much.

Aimez-Moi by Caron

The first few times I smelled Aimez-Moi, my nose recoiled a bit at the harsh anise notes, which seemed medicinal to me- I was intrigued, though, and ordered a sample- and each time I wore it, I fell deeper and deeper in love with it's velvety violet heart. Some of the notes are cool, but there is a warm blanket component to it as well- utterly beguiling!

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

Spearmint, muguet, jasmine, moss- the notes sounded so fresh to me- but what I got instead was stale and uninspiring, unfortunately- the overwhelming scent impression that I got was "wet hay".

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I got an odd reaction with this scent on my skin- about an hour or two after application, it smelled like calamine lotion to me! I get a similar experience with L'Heure Bleue- must be a chemistry thing. It's not appalling, but it is strange-

Julia by Téo Cabanel

As soon as I opened the bottle, I knew this was going to be trouble... sure enough- the fruit notes in this fragrance somehow managed to smell sour and fermented at the same time- really disappointing

Splash's avatar
    Splash

Rykiel Woman by Sonia Rykiel

Rykiel Woman starts out as a floral fruity leather very similar to Cuir de Lancome (2007). I was surprised and checked the notes, nope not the same but they sure present like close cousins. Rykiel Woman than morphs into a drydown related to Lorenzo Villoresi’s Musk. I’d summarize RW as a powdered violet musk with a hint of dry leather and LV’s Musk as a powdered rose musk with a hint of sweet vanilla. I like all three.

11th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2010)

aktp-iciook's avatar
    aktp-iciook

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Highly masculine in a fresh, aquatic and sporty sense.

Sea weed note in Polo Sport is so unique and really fascinating to me.

Cheers,

Marco Aurelio's avatar
    Marco Aurelio

Cologne de l'Empereur by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Cologne de L'Empereur,is the Dominique Dubrana "first ever made Cologne"interpretation:Napoleon was a great cologne consumer (at the rate of gallons in a month) and Farina was appointed official supplier.
    Well,this version is somewhat different from J.M.Farina Cologne:I think the animalic note present here would have been disgusting for the Empereur (he could not bear Musk,and so Civet I suppose) but this fragrance is very enticing.
    CdE is composed in an old fashion way,with two contrasting notes (civet and citrus) exalting herself the one with the other and many components imported from the original Farina's recipie.
    I like CdE:to me,it seems a "dirty " citrus bomb,at first.Then,the other
    players announce themselves.
    Sillage is moderate,longevity is short on me.
    A rich and expensive Cologne variation.
    Raw materials are first grade as usual with Profumo Brand.

trapper's avatar
    trapper
    Romania Romania

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

For me, Dior Homme is a memory portal to an euphoric melodramatic place in a beautiful park on a chilly evening in late August. It sends you back to nature in a classy, luxurious way.
    The fragrance has very good longevity, despite the fact it is close-to-skin. It's absolute.

I might have just fallen in love.

NillaGoon's avatar
    NillaGoon

Chrome by Azzaro

An entirely generic and inoffensive fresh, sporty fougere with a hint of chewed tin foil. OK, I guess that last part is kind of offensive.

But to be fair, the fragrance does create quite an aura of mystery. As in, how can so many houses sell this exact same scent? And, how can this scent in its many guises so dominate the market when there are so many nice alternatives?

C for showing up, F for effort.

NillaGoon's avatar
    NillaGoon

01 Nomad by Odin New York

Although most of these notes are listed in the pyramid, I perceive this as a citrus, somewhat floral opening (mostly orange) that resolves to a vanilla base. I want to say "orange flower" because of the oranginess and the floweriness, but I don't actually know what an orange flower smells like. I don't get any pepper or juniper notes.

I wouldn't classify this as a "vanilla bomb", but vanilla is definitely the predominant note through most of the development. It's a pleasant enough scent, but it's nothing you haven't smelled before.

nishantdavid's avatar
    nishantdavid
    India India

Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

Well If i would have to review this fragrance in just two words.........

it would be

CREAMY LEMONS

The Lemons seem to last on and on forever acompanied by a touch of spice somwhere in the background.

Could even be classified as a lemony gourmand as it smells like something edible too. But yes If you love citrusy scents and often complain about the lemony top notes dissapearing way to quickly then this is definately the one for you. The Lemon notes last forever.....
    Great for waking up someone on a hot summer morning.
    Kudos to Mr. Balmain (or should i say Monsieur balmain)

Zirh by Zirh

Bought this at tjmaxx or something. Was hoping for some of the goodness I enjoy in Corduroy and Ikon, but heck no. This stuff is BORING.

11th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This may be the only aquatic I will wear. Although it is rarely dusted off for me, I could see myself wearing this to a night out on South Beach. I would say it is the deepest aquatic scent I have encountered. Fair longevity and sillage, I get about 3-4 hours out of it.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I would call this my "Hot summer nights on the prowl" fragrance. As stated many times before, this scent is not for the man who lacks confidence. Big projection and sillage, careful on the pump.

Chino's avatar
    Chino

Vétiver Dry by Carven

i'm not a big fan of these vetiver scents. Vetiver Dry IMHO is suited well for someone 35+ yrs of age. It is definitely not a bad scent alltogether. It's initial blast is not offensive and the drydown is decent, but nothing too special. I'm in my mid- 20's so maybe I'll wear this when I'm 40, but since it's discontinued it probably wont be around. Neutral rating from me.

Chino's avatar
    Chino

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

A sweet smelling fragrance as is with most anything new these days. A decent fragrance for youngsters under 25. A friend of mine wears LACOSTE ESSENTIAL. This Gucci hinted of it & definitely smelled better. Even saying this, I wouldn't consider picking this up unless it was on clearance & in a small quantity. There's just nothing exciting about this frag, just decent. NEUTRAL FOR ME

davedude11's avatar
    davedude11

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Loved it at the store and bought a bottle. Also really liked it upon first wearing it. Great topnotes. However, the scent drys down into a very sweet, nearly cloying aroma. A pity, because I really liked this one at first. Not a bad scent, though, just not for me.

From Smoke's avatar
    From Smoke

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

Wow, that was.. timid.. and fast.

I'm a man who likes light florals as a change from the traditional masculine fragrances now and then, but wearing this perfume was like trying to balance petals on my pulse points on a breezy day-- pleasant for about 30 seconds and then "Whoop!" gone.

I experienced no silage and laughably short longevity.

Are there even heart or base notes in this thing?

FlexYoFace's avatar
    FlexYoFace

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I have a real love hate relationship with Millésime Impérial. I love it because the first time I smelled the tester card I sprayed it on my mind was blown. Then I thought, there's no way I can pull this off. Me and a buddy recently got serious about fragrances, I actually made it my hobby first and he followed shortly after and he's the one who suggested we split the cost of the bottle because neither of us felt good about a 3 digit price for one bottle. Anyway we got a tester and decanted it in half.

Why do I love it? Well, it smells god like... It's the best smelling aquatic/marine/citrus scent I've ever tried period. I'm sure there are better Citruses out there, but the Aquatic/marine notes and salt notes in this scent keep it warm and airy. I live in SLC Utah and from time to time the smell of the Great Salt Lake fills the valley with a farty/salty smell that this vaguely reminds me of. Not in a bad way, but it gives MI a very ANIMALIC quality, and maybe others don't smell it, but I do. If this fragrance didn't have the salt it wouldn't be as oddly addictive as it is.

Why do I hate it? The price for one. I simply don't understand why Creed costs so much, it's rediculous. I also really wish this scent had more sillage. It lasts a long time on your skin, but it doesn't project very well after about 2 hours. I'd say the over all life span is around 4-5 hours on me till I need to respritz. Honestly I'd probably respritz at around 2:30 hours. I think it's best to use 2 sprays only and then another 1 or 2 later, but it's not worth 3-4 sprays right at the get go.

Overall it's a great fragrance.. Imaging squeezing fresh lemon over a plate of shrimp scampy and then eating a slice of watermelon and mango for desert while the sun keeps popping in and out of the clouds on the beach.

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

Ubar Woman by Amouage

When I put this on and went about my afternoon one thing came to mind:

Miss Mammy.

That's right, Gone with the Wind's Miss Mammy in all her Southern Glory; yelling out the window, telling Miss Scarlett to eat, pushing her way through the crowd and flashing her red ruffle underskirt.

That's the Jasmine/rose combo, and it's a force to be recogned with here. It's very strong and borders on being 'over-the-top'. It's the civet and sandalwood that keep htis from getting a 'fiddle dee dee' from me, as it adds an earthy grounding that makes me want to hang around and see what happens.

Unfortunately, as time goes on the scent turns more 'Melanie Hamilton-ish' on me, and I'm not as interested. It retains it's southern charm throught, however, and I give it a thumbs up for being high quality, interesting, and long lasting.

kartikeya's avatar
    kartikeya

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

1.perfect for my taste.
    2. easy on wallet.
    3. stays long.
    4. best dry down from all the colognes i have.
    5. fiancee loves it.
    what more do you want????????????

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Vanilia is quite a chameleon of a fragrance. The ethylmaltol and ylang-ylang top notes others have remarked on leave the impression of banana-flavored cotton candy, but from there the fragrance takes a rapid turn, shedding the sweet kids' stuff and developing into a golden vanillic amber with some spice undertones.

Midway through the development a note that some read as cigarette smoke and others as metal enters, further complicating the fragrance. Vanilia ends up quite grown-up, almost like vanilla incense.

This is an intriguing take on vanilla and, after the first 10 minutes, of the most resolutely non-gourmand variants out there.

Jicky by Guerlain

The genius of this revolutionary fragrance, one of the oldest extant scents still in production, is that it remains so modern, fresh and unexpected.

The Edt and the Parfum de Toilette to me both have more civet than the parfum, and they develop on the skip from the fresh lavender and citrus opening through to the perfect, sweet vanilla base. The parfum differs from the other formulations in that it is more linear; not because it's inferior in quality but because the ingredients are so expertly and purposefully balanced that no one note dominates.

Jicky is the fullest flowering of the fougère genre, one of the most abstract scents ever invented, and probably the closest thing to a "universal" fragrance to be worn in any season, by men and women for any occasion.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

The astonishing L'Heure Bleue is one of Guerlain's loveliest and most accomplished creations. Though created in 1912--the year the Titanic sank and federal income taxes were established in the U.S.-- this scent, like all of Guerlain's best fragrances, maintains a timeless appeal.

It begins with some anisic notes and rather high-pitched florals and ends in a deep, rich, amber reminiscent of the texture and richness of the scent of marzipan. It represents the fullest expression of the Guerlinade, Guerlain's famously opaque, dusky base.

For me, the melancholic aspects of this fragrance concern its gentle, tender air. We've all felt those powerful moods when we put on Mitsouko and go off to conquer the world. To wear L'Heure Bleue is to bear one's heart, to confront its longings, hopes and disappointments.

30 Roses's avatar
    30 Roses

Fleur d'Oranger 2007 by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Again and again I turn to my bottle of Fleur d'Oranger 2007. There doesn't seem to be any mood or season that isn't right for this gorgeous EdP. This is happiness in a bottle, and as such it is worth every cent. Unlike some other orange blossom perfumes, this one isn't indolic, spicy, powdery or soapy. The beeswax note is warm and smooth. I have a decant of the 2005 vintage, obtained in a swap, and do not find that it is significantly different, contrary to what I've read.

11th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2012)

promqueen's avatar
    promqueen

Capricci by Nina Ricci

This is also one of my favorites-light, but distinctive..very classy. People will notice this...in a good way!

Beautiful..beyond description

11th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2012)

P-Natra's avatar
    P-Natra
    Germany Germany

Chrome by Azzaro

Clean, Fresh and bit Woody...it´s a Classic...perfect for the office or summer!

12 February, 2010