Fragrance Reviews from February 2010

Aspen for Men by Coty

I'm revising my review. Aspen is one of many fragrances that you need to wear for a full day in order to judge it fairly. I've finally worn Aspen, and I like it now quite a bit.

It's basically Cool Water with a touch of green, and it's quieter and smells less synthetic than Cool Water. I'd probably like Cool Water if it weren't so sweet, loud, and synthetic smelling. Basically Aspen smells like Cool Water after all of its flaws are ironed out.

I don't smell any pine or forest-like notes in Aspen at all, and I wish I could. It starts off very invigorating with its bright green lavender and citrus, and the scent dries down to something very subtle and warm. Its drydown smells like a quiet, green herbal haze that hints at the standard Cool Water fougere accord. You don't so much "smell" the drydown as you do sense its overall presence. It has good staying power (about 6 or 7 hours), but it remains a discreet skin scent for most of its duration. I especially like Aspen for its subtlety.

Aspen may not be unique or smell expensive, but it's a very good, solid fragrance that is discreet and exudes class in an understated, restrained way. This is a scent you could wear every day without ever tiring of it. It represents excellent value.

MY RATING: 7/10

17 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 November, 2010)

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is one of the best patchouli fragrances on the market. To say that this is a patchouli hater's scent is complete nonsense. This is a patchouli lover's scent. Granted, this isn't a loud, screaming patchouli like in Mazzolari Lui, but the patchouli note is very prominent from beginning to end. There is some immortelle in here which, believe it or not, does not steal the show, and acts more as a pedestal propping up the patchouli note, which is the star of the show in Patchouli Patch. The patchouli, though prominent, is rounded and buffed out by an iris-like ingredient, which gives the scent a bit of a dusty, almost purple-colored hue.

If you love patchouli but want a refined, sophisticated patchouli fragrance, rather than a dirty, earthy patchouli, then Patchouli Patch is worth every penny.

From Smoke's avatar

Green Tea and Jasmine by L'Occitane

This is a charming scent and for about the first hour almost a photo-realistic representation of jasmine green tea, which I find delicious and delightful.

Starting in the second hour the scent slides from jasmine green tea into fresh tobacco leaf, still green, but a little darker and herbal, not as flowery.

The scent is neither overtly masculine or feminine. It projects lightness and refreshment.

The strength and longevity is somewhere between eau de toilette and flower water.

This brings up my main complaint about it-- charming though it is, it's overpriced by about 50%.

L'Occitane seems to have a tight grip on their distribution (good for them, not so good for impoverished scent fiends) so there seems to be little chance of getting GT&J for less than retail.. and the scent, although pleasant, is simply not worth the asking price.

Especially when light scent sprays like Heritage Products Flower Waters are available.

BayKAT's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I know this has been in production since 1906, which is probably the reason for all the 'classic' and 'timeless' comments. But for fun, run through hte latest commercial offerings featuring iris and violet, and then come back to this one. It's the equivalent of saying that Clint Eastwood is a good actor, although his performances are a bit of an 'old fashion classic'.

Clint is still making people's day. So is Apres l'ondee.

Iris and violet are my top two favorite notes and I've tried many, many scents with this combo. This is the only one I bought. Love it.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

When I was a teen this was my first fragrance I bought. Now as I have matured, and expanded my horizons I no longer care for it. Too boring for my tastes, with no longevity. I have only used half of the the first bottle bought in 1997. Recently I compared my bottle with a new sample to check it smell, only to find that my vintage GIO has changed. Over the years it has fermented into something much worse than original.

Chrome by Azzaro

Strong chemical industrial smell in the opening, then in short time dissipates to nothing. Nothing I care about.

Cool Water by Davidoff

When first applied it has a horrible synthetic chemical smell, sort of like a industrial grade cleaner. As for comparison to GIT which I also dislike, it does have the same flour/ green smell, but more synthetic to GIT.

Green Water by Jacques Fath

The opening smell is too strong of a green & citrus for my tastes. It actually makes me gag. Otherwise, it is a nice clean fragrance. Its seem to be a quality made fragrance, with good projection, and longevity. It mjust not for me.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Opening is way too sweet, and feminine.

Dunhill by Dunhill

Smells cheap & synthetic. The opening entices my gag reflexes.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Overall I like the L'Homme, though at this time indifferent to it. It has an nice mix of smells, that give it texture. The only thing is that I consider the opening too sweet and thus too feminine for my tastes. I'm not a fan of overly sweet fragrances, some sweetness is fine but this one is a bit too much more my tastes. On top of this there is a strong soapy smell that I also don't like. Maybe with more time I will change my mind.

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

Its unfortunate that I don't like Burberry Summer since i am a fan of most Burberry fragrances. This cologne comes off way as a strong industrial citrus smell, that makes my head spin. After 50 mins the scent is all but gone.

Preferred Stock by Coty

I like this scent more every time I wear it. I'm always looking for a good heavy leather frag to add to my collection, and Preferred Stock is of the Fonzie black leather jacket ilk. It smells greasy and dirty, no doubt aided by the sharp vetiver and pounding, filthy patchouli in this.

Too many wimpy masculine designer fragrances use the word "Black" in their names when in fact they smell about as black as a fruit roll-up. By contrast, Preferred Stock really does smell black, and it smells sweaty. Fans of frags like Trussardi Uomo, Boss No. 1, Drakkar Noir or Santos owe it to themselves to check this out. Fans of Aqua di Gio and Eternity For Men owe it to themselves to go to the nearest emergency room when Preferred Stock is nearby.

Preferred Stock is nice and strong, and is a good starter scent for the newbie who wants to enter the world of manly powerhouse fragrances. It's quite versatile - you can apply it sparingly to wear in more conservative company, or spray it on hard and send everyone in the room cowering under the table from the power of your sillage.

MY RATING: 8/10

17 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

Laurel and other herbs, pepper, cedar, patchouli, frankincense, amber

I'm revising my review. There are parts of this I like and parts that have trouble endorsing.
    I've tried this many, many times in the shop.
    Good points: very green and aromatic, a dry and powerful peppery-herbal mix.
    Reservations: on my skin, it gets tiresome after a while. For me, it is a very powerful and assertive one-note wonder. No grace notes. No subtlety.
    I love dry herbal scents. The fact that I keep trying this, and wanting to like it... and don't quite like it, says something to me.
    It is a marvelous, challenging, dry and aromatic scent. Try it and see how it suits you.

17 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2011)

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Santal by Ligne St Barth

Notes: sandalwood /cinnamon, sandalwood / amber, sandalwood, musk
    Ligne St. Barth is a highly successful natural cosmetics firm founded on St. Barthelmy in the Caribean by a German lady and her French husband. Their fragrances are conventional affairs containing the usual industrial synthetics and the now discontinued Santal follows in the steps of Etro's Sandalo. A sharp synthetic sandalwood note dominates the entire fragrance, similarly to Floris Sandalwood, but it is flanked by a cinnamon note itself eclipsed by sweet amber. The musk is of the white sort that has nothing to do with musk proper. I'd venture to say the entire perfume contains only traces of naturals and it certainly has nothing interesting to say. Contrary to the rich Caribean flora evoked in the firm's PR, this scent's disappearances is thus no big loss. A woody-ambery oriental by Lutens will give a lot more pleasure.

Atlanta1's avatar

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

Good gosh, awwmighty!! The ORIGINAL formulation of this fragrance was the nearest thing to heaven itself. Truly a masterpiece it was. The reformulation of today? Pure hell and a mockery. How dare they put the Royal Copenhagen name on this current trash.

Oviatt's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

This is one of the truly great gentlemen's scents. It has all of the notes that I love--clary sage, carnation, cedar, leather and tonka--that are arranged in a way that is classic yet timeless. There is a clean element to this that has nothung to do with modern "out of the shower" fragrances. The drydown is the best part of this, I think. While it is timeless, I also love the true vintage aspect of this scent--if you look in old New Yorkers and Illustrated London News from the 30s, 40s and 50s, the ads are right there, in the iconic bottle. This has legs and I hope that it is never completely phased out as this truly represents what is best about the Dunhill brand. This set the bar very high and with the possible exeption of Edition, Dunhill has never bettered this.

brrrry's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Easily in my top five. Not dirty at all, except for maybe a few minutes during the opening. It's actually quite beautiful. One of the few Lutens that I immensely enjoy along with Ambre Sultan. Another one of those scents that most people around you won't get or enjoy. But, personally I wear this for my own enjoyment and wouldn't have it any other way.

MFJ's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

EDP: This opens with a typical dose of citrus and dries down into a soft and powdery patchouli and vanilla base. On my skin, the oakmoss tends to reveal itself in a slightly sourish form, which is the only part I do not really fancy about it.

soirdelune's avatar

L'Aimant by Coty

This review is for the vintage extrait, found for pennies on Ebay: what a joy! Extraordinarily pretty and -- as many have already observed -- a dead ringer for No. 5, but with a bit more "oomph". A full-bodied aldehydic floral, and very long lasting, too. Beautiful. The current drugstore iteration of the EdT is so unpleasant as to not warrant a review, in my opinion.

Madame du Barry's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

This isn't a perfume; it's Chinese herbal medicine. I dislike this cough syrup with a passion.
    The great news is that it lasts, lasts, lasts...

Madame du Barry's avatar

Tumulte by Christian Lacroix

The notes in this don't interact at all. It's 100 dogs howling - hello, Miss Migraine!

fragranceluvr's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Even though I enjoy this fragrance, I was expecting something different from Tom Ford Black Orchid. To me White Patchouli seems similar. It contains the creaminess aspect but from a different venue; whereas Black Orchid's cream-smoothness comes from Vanilla, White Patchouli's is from Amberette seed and Amber. They both contain the following ingredients: Sandalwood, Bergamot, Incense, Mandarin and Jasmine too similar and yet totally deviating. White Patchouli smells of warm vinyl, rubbery-plastic [picture Barbie's skin] and dirty, Earthy white flowers not clean, pretty bouquets. This has the same animalic undertone as does Black Orchid but it's cameo appearance is intertwined with the florals.

The sillage is close to the skin if worn sparingly, but ostentatious if spritzed generously. The longevity is excellent. I feel this fragrance can be worn by men as well as women [and I am a guy who enjoys this Eau de Parfum] if the guy has a strong self-worth and is confident. White Patchouli is a sensual fragrance worn with confidence. You can wear this to a dinner out, a black-tie affair, or on a romantic date; this is not a casual, weekend scent.

Would I recommend this fragrance, yes...but to reiterate, one has to have a strong self-worth and confidence to pull it off.

I also, recommend trying a sample first before shelling out the big bucks for a bottle because it's not for everyone.

Narguile's avatar

Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears

This, in my opinion, is one of the best celeb fragrances, if not the best. I tried this today, and was surprised by the deliciously tart topnotes, a lovely raspberry fruit juiciness and spice middle that reminded me of a more demure Hot couture for a bit, and then some wonderfully sheer lush floral notes and creamy musk in the drydown. There was no cheap plastic notes, no awful cheap wood or harsh musk like I expected. Honestly, if you had put this in a different bottle I would have sworn it was a high end creation - it's wonderful. The creamy notes are the best I've experienced, and though it sounds like it might be a garish gourmand scent, it never is. It's a wonderfully fun, beautifully constructed youthful scent that can be appreciated by those with a discerning nose :)

dwnwrdishvnwrd's avatar

Nirmala by Molinard

I can't imagine this being a fragrance released in 1955. It's far too fruity (but good fruity) and modern.

But, aside from this being a different version (as opposed to a reformulation) of a classic, this is grand. It's Angel minus the vulgarity. I love Angel's vulgarity. It's a love-it-or-hate-it scent but I see Nirmala as being the go-between. It's sweet but not a bomb. It's fruity without being a giant berry. It's sexy without being all plastic and saline breasts.

I smelled it at The Perfume House in Portland today and I had to buy it. I'm a guy and I can totally wear this. It's just a great pick-me-up and it makes me smell wonderfully lovely. Nothing more to it. Great all-around.

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Elite by Floris

Floris Elite = hard lemon candy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fragman's avatar

England England

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

It's nice, and I blind bought it, but have to say, to me, it smells EXACTLY like Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey. So much so that people round me have commented on me "wearing Issey today..."

I'll revisit in the summer months, but cant really see myself using this one too much.

w3pearl's avatar

Organza by Givenchy

definetly NOT an "old lady" signature...if older... maybe for a cougar. Nothing less anyway.

18 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2011)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This has to be the most macho fragrance ever. It drips with arrogant, balls-out virililty. Even though its current formulation lacks the explosive power of the original, Drakkar Noir is still potent and a force to be reckoned with. It's still a powerhouse, but with the volume turned down to about an 8 or 9, instead of 11.

They may have reformulated Drakkar, but they didn't take away its soul or its testicles. This is still a bad-ass, dark, sweaty aromatic fougere that draws a line in the sand, separating the admirers from the haters. I think it's the greasy leather combined with heavy hitting notes like oakmoss and patchouli that forces people to take extreme views on this fragrance.

It's brash, but you don't have to soak yourself in it. Applied with a careful trigger finger, it can smell relatively discreet. However, you can't hide when you're wearing Drakkar Noir.

Though reformulated and a bit less powerful, Drakkar still smells like Drakkar, and that's what counts. Just spray on more if you want more power.

Count me in as a big longtime fan of this masterpiece.

MY RATING: 10/10

18 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

Brut by Fabergé

Brut rules. How many men's fragrances can you think of that have as much character and personality as Brut? It's been around forever, and chances are you probably love Brut or hate it. You cannot be indifferent to it. There's a lot to be said for that alone.

There's a reason why Brut has been promoted by guys like Joe Namath, Muhammad Ali, Henry Cooper, Wilt Chamberlain and Jimmy Connors: it defines what a macho fragrance is. I know that before I became interested in fragrances, whenever I thought of what a manly cologne should smell like, I thought of Brut. I still do.

You have to love Brut simply because it comes close to the smell of a true classical fougere without costing a fortune. How many fougeres today can you think of that smell as crisp and green as Brut? Although the Brut you find in the green plastic bottle in supermarkets smells pretty good, take the time and get yourself a bottle of "Brut Classic", which comes in the old-school green glass bottle with the metal chain around it. This is the smell of the original Brut from the 1960's, before it was reformulated significantly. It has the richness and sweetness of the vintage Brut, even though it's not quite as strong as it was back in the day.

To those of you who make fun of Brut: why do you think it's been continuous production since 1964? Because it sucks? Because no one wears it anymore? Like Old Spice, Brut is still with us because it's classic and still smells great. End of story.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

18 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2012)