Fragrance Reviews from February 2010

throwaway_gull's avatar

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

I get a cherry vanilla coke like a scent I can't get over. Not a bad smell, but artificially sweet.

*bloomy*'s avatar

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

I used to love this Lily of the Valley floral and went through several bottles in the late eighties/early nineties. I did receive many compliments when I wore it. Even though I am still very fond of LotV scents I could never wear this one now...guess I have outgrown it.

*bloomy*'s avatar

Jess by Jessica McClintock

I received a large bottle of Jess as a gift from someone who thought they were purchasing an old fave of mine (Jessica McClintock). I tried it several times and sneezed EVERY TIME I tried, culminating in a horrific headaches. Nasty vile stuff that smells cheap and synthetic...sorry, there isn't anything to like about this frag.

Kerosene's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

What can I say about this fragrance? Light woodsy with some spice and it sorta dances in an aura around you. The scent lasts quite a long time on me. I tested it out at a store and the next day could still smell it on my coat.

Henry M Betrix Country by Betrix

Another great perfume that alas has been discontinued! This was a very masculine fragrance, with a somewhat rugged, wild nature feeling, yet an elegant approach. It seems like it was only available for quite a short time (at least in my country). For some odd reason it seems like all my fav ourite fragrances seem to be discontinued, whereas many perfumes I don't like live on year after year. Go figure!

G2 by Gant USA

An excellent masculine perfume - such a pity it's not available any longer! I still possess half a bottle of the after shave + a deo stick. Well, maybe this great perfume one day will return under another name in another bottle!

Vorago by Myrurgia

A low-budget perfume, yet with a feeling of exclusivity. The fragrance is more of the sporty type, rather spicy. It was available (at least in my country, Sweden) at non-exclusive shops; when (in Spain, where it is manufactured) I asked for it in a perfume shop they adviced me to check with the department stores. Anyway, I still possess a Bottle of the after shave - I hope I will have the possibility to travel to Spain again and buy myself a small supply of this very nice fragrance!

granola357's avatar

Chamade by Guerlain

(Parfum): The first few minutes feature an intense green topnote, but within ten minutes a narcissus-based, spicy floral heart emerges, with the soft vanilla notes of the Guerlinade chiming in quietly underneath. Others have described this fragrance as "powdery," and while I see what they're getting at, it is not at all the typical baby powder or soapy aldehydic sparkle of other green scents but rather a richer, spicier and almost oily note that grows in strength through the drydown. This is much crisper than I had expected, and though it is a floral oriental it doesn't have a single trace of sweetness, which means that daring guys can probably pull it off.

This scent differs quite a lot in its formulations, which seem to get spicier as the strength increases. The EdT is the greenest and crispest of the lot. The (now vintage) PdT is significantly more floral, and to my nose has a much more identifiable rose note than the other formulations. (I haven't tried the EdP that has since replaced it). The parfum is definitely the spiciest of the three.

25 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2010)

Nostalgie's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

There is something uncanny about this breathtaking masterpiece. Uncanny (Unheimlich) in the Freudian sense: familiar but foreign; paradoxical; seductively troubling.

What I find most disarming about Après l’Ondée, is its balance of sweetness and solemnity. The name signals a degree of separation between the fragrance and the rain. But for me the distance feels spatial rather than temporal, like watching the rain from the warmth of a sumptuous room. Subtle lemon and more prominent heliotrope keep it joyful. A gentle dose of violet and and the predominant cool, iris root add a sense of longing and nostalgia. Vetiver and benzoin balance bitter and sweet. The overall composition is rich but lilting, grounded but uplifting, distant but welcoming. Like a pastel painting displayed on a stone gray wall.

I mourn the parfum version which is no longer produced, but I am confident its ghost haunts the exquisite EDT.

High quality, long-lasting, and remarkably different from the Guerlains built on a vanilla base.
    25 Feb.2010

25 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2011)

skinboy8's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus stands head and shoulders above all of the pansy, cookie-cutter oceanic fragrances that contaminated the 1990's. It's extremely sophisticated and no, it's not for everybody, because not everybody has the self-confidence; the ability to project themselves; that wearing Antaeus requires.

A complete stranger once commented to me that the fragrance I was wearing had "star quality". That fragrance was Antaeus, applied carefully. If you smother yourself in it, you smell like you should have a gold-plated bath-plug suspended from a heavy gold chain around your neck. Wear it properly, and it's an urbane delight.

Shrinking violets need not apply to join the Antaeus club, and should stick to Aqua di Gio or Cool Water, or whatever forgettable 1990's fragrance footnote that they hide behind.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

I dismissed this some years ago as a variation of the Hugo Boss in the canteen (HUGO) frag. But this is different. I am glad I did not get rid of my bottle. I love the pink pepper in this, as pink pepper is one of my absolute fav ingridients.

I wish an EdP was created. Longevity is OK, but the frag just doesn't shine as much as one would hope. Energise? I don't know; more like uplift. I have to spray more than 6 to achieve the desired level of scent. I do note that others will smell it on you hours (~4) later. Not bad.

grizzly's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Between the warm climate here and my practice to apply fragrances directly to skin, the top notes aren't an issue for me. That leads me to the soapy, clean smelling mid notes (myrtle) that permeate the hour-long commute to work.

It settles down nicely into the classy, woody base notes that accompany me throughout the rest of the day. Perfect for those days you have to make an impression at meetings but still not bothering the office.

Silage is minimal and longevity (as stated earlier) is so-so. I still get nuances of the base notes after a 12 hour day.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Blue Amber by Montale

The amber selection on the market is crowded. There are herbal ambers ( Ambre 114 ), animalic ambers ( L'Ombre Fauve ), spicy ambers ( Amber Absolute ), boozy ambers ( Ambre Russe ), and likely eventually every possible variation on the theme "amber" will have been done. Given these creative and pleasing takes on the same note, a new amber fragrance needs something to stand out, something Blue Amber just doesn't have. It's mild, vanillic amber with middling qualities all around, slightly sub-par longevity and sillage. I just can't find anything more to say on it.

Rated neutral only because there's particularly nothing wrong with it per se, but I really wouldn't waste your time.

Bigsly's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I'm with foetidus on this one. The violet leaf note ruins it for me. If you want a much gentler violet leaf note, try Paul Smith's London for men. It's got a soft base with a brandy note that's quite nice, though certainly nothing "extraordinary." GIT is just downright unpleasant to me. Sample first, unless you enjoy strong violet leaf and plenty of money to spend..

F.X.F's avatar

Neroli by Czech & Speake

quite overwhelming at first, then neroli calms down. but you will probably smell its (what i guess must be) ylang ylang notes even the second day. certainly on your clothes. long lasting, but not one of my favourites. seems even kind of fougere style. certainly at the end...

Zhara8's avatar

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Unexpectedly complex, as citrus is such an olfactory bully that it can easily reduce a frag. to just the loud bits of pith and peel. Une Zeste de Rose keeps the rose a steady constant - only giving the citrus enough room to brighten, but not overpower. Others on the list have used the word "youthful" or "young" to describe the effect. I must agree, this is not a drawing room rose, instead definitely a young beautiful outgoing rose. Brightness abounds, but without any loss of depth. The layers of tea, musk and (gray??) amber provide tiny, understated anchors, while letting the rose, citrus and just a hint of the gardenia soar. The final result is much like flying a neon colored kite using ornate Victorian scatter pins as tail weights. This frag makes me crave summer in a most ferocious way. I shall have to re-visit it in warmer weather.

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Cashmere for Men by Cristiano Fissore

if you like CDG 2 men and Gucci PH you will love this one.

jr8399's avatar

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang

Nightscape opens with a heavy dose of the clean kind of patchouli, and quickly becomes quite sharp, and as someone has mentioned, camphorous - almost icy cool - probably due to the geranium and cedar mixing with the still strong patchouli. This lasts on me for about an hour, and eventually, it transitions into what I would call a slightly dry and slightly dirty vanilla. I say dry because there is little sweetness, despite the inclusion of amber and tonka, and slightly dirty because of the amber, some light leather and musk. I really don't like wearing scents with amber and vanilla, so Nightscape is about as sweet as I can go. When I get whiffs of the dirty, I get all warm inside. The patchouli is still there but seamlessly blended in. I would have preferred the sharp woody stage in the middle to be predominant, rather than the aforementioned drydown.

However, as others have also mentioned, this is a very tame patchouli scent - especially when you smell it against scents like Villoresi's Patchouli (whew-y!), or patchouli oil. I wouldn't say Nightscape has dumbed down such a beautifully raw, stand-alone note, but simply made it more friendly, almost like what Tom Ford attempted with Grey Vetiver. Everyone I've let sniff Nightscape has really liked it, most likely because it's generally "quiet" and wholly inoffensive, yet lets enough patchouli through to remain somewhat unique, sensual and even slightly exotic.

Diamondflame's avatar

Tea/Rose by CB I Hate Perfume

Sparkles open with a distinct tea note over green rose geranium. The tea note here is smoky if not a little sour, rather similar to the one I first encountered in Russian Caravan Tea but it doesn't stick around, dissolving right into the rose to give it a musty and sometimes woodsy nuance. Think Bulgari pour Homme with a bit of earthy rose, and a white musk drydown that falls a little on the sweet side.

On my skin TEA/ROSE lasts around 4 hours. But with a scent smelling this pleasant, a re-application could actually be something to look forward to.

26 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 February, 2010)

Diamondflame's avatar

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Little by way of patchouli but more of a leather oriental, thanks to the styrax, birch tar and I'm quite certain, labdanum. On first impressions, the smoke-and-leather act seems to peg this squarely as a masculine scent but a rather unisexual common thread of ambery sweetness unifies the disparate elements and smoothens out the numerous phase-shifts between notes of camphor, incense, smoke, leather, tobacco and resins. Rather reminiscent of Serge Lutens Serge Noire, come to think of it.

While I'm not sure if I'd love to smell PATCHOULI 24 on a woman or if it even deserves the 5-Star rating by Luca Turin, I certainly cannot deny its appeal as an excellent masculine oriental.

26 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 February, 2010)

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Overall this is sophisticated, rich, barbasol scent. It's very masculine, slightly old school yet very clean. I really do like this fragrance although I'm too young to wear it since it doesn't seem to be congruent with my personality and what I would wear. I got it for my dad and he loves it although in many years I will probably come to appreciate it. It's very well done and unique and I do enjoy it, I just don't see this fragrance suiting me.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

To me, this one smells weird, not intriguing but plain weird, in the way that an out of tune violin sounds weird. I could detect the nutmeg and perhaps some mint and coffee, but it didn’t smell particularly icy, blue, fresh or clean to me, and ultimately got so tedious that I couldn’t wait to finish my bottle. It was certainly not sweet either; in fact I found it to be quite salty and it tended to remind me of Ralgex Heat spray. Longevity was poor too – 3 to 4 hours at most after a good spritzing. Disappointingly, I didn’t pick up any resemblance between this and A Men or B Men, both of which I adore. I’m glad I tried it but it’s not one I would buy again despite its reasonable price. IMO, there are at least a dozen more interesting blue fragrances out there for men including JdP’s Quasar, Chrome Legend and Trussardi’s Python to name but three. A neutral rating is about the best that this fragrance deserves.

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Rocabar by Hermès

Rocabar = syrupy caramel over golden apples.

I was expecting the freshness of a forest given some of the notes on the pyramid, but this strikes me as a gourmand fragrance. I can't imagine many occasions when wearing this scent would seem perfect.

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino = a pink shirt smelling of roses in a gentleman's wardrobe.

It's a comforting scent, well-made, without smelling "cologne-y". Very easy going and mellow. You do have to like the smell of roses (not rosewood) to wear it. A little tobacco kicks in later, but to my nose this is very mild and always in the background.

cowboykenny27's avatar

Yellow Jeans by Versace

Such a shame about this fragrance (i collect all of the jeans range ) I thought this smelled like those cubes of toilet freshner in mens urinals -honest!

for that reason a no no from me

Gold Woman by Amouage

This was given to me - not my choice and (when it's finished) I won't replace it. It's not that I dislike it exactly, it's just too much of everything - too much (far too much) aldehydes, too much floral. Maybe I may come to love it, but at the moment it's filling a place on my shelf that could hold a bottle of Nahema...

Coco by Chanel

I tried this when it first came out, loved it, and for years wore nothing else.

It has taken me a while to get the message that there's no law against a spot of philandering when it comes to perfumes - monogamy is such a waste of time when there are so many gorgeous fragrances out there - but I'll always have a bottle of Coco to come back to.

Shalimar by Guerlain

I find it hard to review this one - it's sold as a feminine and indeed it is rich and beautiful and everything that all other reviewers say, but it's not for me. I could just about have a daily bath in Mitsouko or Jicky, Chamade is interesting and I would wear Nahema for a bit of serious seduction, but I'd find Shalimar a lot more interesting on a man. And it's not just for any man, Shalimar is for someone sophisticated and loaded with charm, guaranteed to treat his lady to the best of everything.

I'll give it five stars, because it's a true Guerlain, but if anyone buys it for me I'll give it to my lover.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Weird or what?

I didn't think I liked the smell of rubber, it made my head spin, but I couldn't get away from this fragrance - at first I regretted buying it, was sure that I'd never wear it & even contemplated putting the stuff on ebay so that strange people who like strange fragrances could take it off my hands, but then decided to give it a second try - and a third - and I had to admit I was hooked.

It takes a while for the excessive burnt-tyre effect to fade (it never goes completely) and then I'm into the smoky, musky vanilla accord with a side order of hot rubber which somehow I love.

Damn the stuff: it's bewitched me.

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

Those who love this really, really love it.

I don't.