Fragrance Reviews from February 2010

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I have owned a bottle of this for over 2 years but never gave it a real try. I packed it with me on one of my travels and I finally get it. It is a nice fragrance, well crafted, and a rip-off of Lanvin Oxygene. Mania is more subtle, but the juices are pretty much the same. Surprisin since they don;t share much any ingridients in common. Jil Sander's Sport Man is yet another just like the 2 mentioned. I own all 3 and have tested them. I can't decide which one I like better, so thumbs up here as well.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Somewhere between Eternity and Cool Water, there are quite a few of these early aquatics out there. Nothing spectacular, and smells curiously similar to Chemistry by Clinique. No coincidence than Estee Lauder owns Clinique launched 3 years earlier. Interestingly no negative reviews for Chemistry.

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Harsh. Below average for a ‘spicy aquatic’ .

Vetiver by Floris

A classy take on vetiver with a powdery vibe reminiscent to No. 89. I get primarily sandalwood and tonka in the base. I prefer Creed’s 1948 offering, but this is certainly a suitable selection.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

This is about bergamot and herbal notes. It is tart and in my judgment, boring.

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

This soapy aquatic opens with a measure of promise, but then becomes sour on my skin. The sourness dissipates, but at this point there is nothing particularly interesting to this fougere.

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

People have noted the similarity between certain Bond No. 9 and Creed fragrances (e.g., Hamptons and Silver Mountain Water). I am a bit surprised that none of the reviewers have noted the similarity between Little Italy and Creed’s Citrus Bigarrade. Both are centered on the same tart citrus theme. Little Italy has a touch more sweetness and smells a bit more synthetic. The drydown is a bit monotonous; no interesting development here. Tania Sanchez in “Perfumes” makes note of a “big dose of civet”. In Little Italy??? Sorry, I don’t get it. Neither did the 20 reviewers before me. What was she thinking? Citrus Paradisi?

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

One of the neat things about the By Kilian website is that they publish the ‘perfumers formula’ for 1000 grams of perfume (the actual perfume oils, absolutes, concretes, and the like). Here it is:

Calabria Bergamot Oil 350g
    Costus Oil (@ 1%) 10g
    Ambrarome Absolute 10g
    Vanilla Bean Absolute 50g
    Tonka Beans Hyper Essence 25g

So from this we learn that the 50% of the formula is some form of lavender; another 35% is bergamot. The intent though is that absinthe is the star. It is, but not too bold and definitely supported by the lavender. Nothing harsh here: smooth, elegant and easy to wear. But a bit too pricey for my liking.

Eau de Vétyver by Le Jardin Retrouvé

Pas male but not even remotely great; however, still very wearable, light and subtle.

Rose Thé by Le Jardin Retrouvé

After having sampled quite a few fragrances from Le Jardin Retrouvé I ought it to fellow basenote readers to reconsider my rating. Rose Thé is captivating and one of the best of the family. I still agree with Mr Gutsatz that it is very agreeable on men.

28 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 April, 2010)

Bergamote / Divine Bergamote by The Different Company

I will rather agree with the negative reviews. I recently tried divine bergamote and although the first impression was totally positive the dry down was a joy-killer. I would still not go as far as to say that it is a generic or irrelevant fragrance. On the contrary I think that it is a well made composition that as most citrus fragrances fails to last, or somehow develop the first sparkle so that the wearer doesn't feel let down soon after application.

blondex199667's avatar

Eau Vitaminée by Biotherm

A very nice citrus eau fraiche. Supposed to have skin tonic properties as well. Not much on sillage or duration but great to keep in the fridge for a hot-day spraydown.

bbBD's avatar

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

Reading through these reviews, with a particular reference to Vibert's, I have to wonder not IF this perfume has been reformulated but just how much it's been reformulated over the years. Some reviews very much vibe with what I'm smelling, and others are describing a very different fragrance. Concerning the original perfume in the bottles labeled 'Champagne', and specifically the parfum concentration, the composition in unquestionably a chypre and has little if anything to do with the sappy fruity florals that Vibert aptly describes.

It's taken me almost a year of owning Champagne parfum to get my head around it, but recently everything clicked. On application I've always felt that this was YSL's version of Diorella or Cristalle. A fruity chypre for sure, but with a "funk" (which is the lurking cumin, though it's not distinctly cumin-smelling) that very much made it appropriate for being a YSL fragrance, as though they the brief read "we want a raunchy Diorella to fit our darkly sexy marketing image." While other reviewers are commenting on an effervescent, bubbly peach my parfum is hardly this way. Rather I smell a very overripe peach/apricot backed by florals and pushed by cumin to form an accord that is discordant, but discordant such that I want to keep my wrist to my nose to see how this conflict will resolve itself. The drydown is markedly less eventful, but it is enjoyable. The apricot/peach note never fully recedes, but it takes a backseat to a vetiver-spiked classic chypre drydown that features a good dose of oakmoss. I find the heart to be the most enjoyable stage of Champagne - the fruity topnotes are balanced with a melange of florals, the oakmoss/patchouli begins to appear and the underlying vetiver is at its most prominent - but there isn't any point of development I don't like.

Just the tiniest dab is all that's needed to make my arm reek of Champagne strongly for hours - this is potent stuff for sure. I've been enjoying the vintage parfum so much that I found myself an original 'Champagne' labeled EdT, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it differs from the parfum. I'm not so sure that trying Yvresse as it exists now sounds appealing, especially given the comments that it's a very sweet fruity floral, something that Champagne is not. If you're a fan of fruity chypres it's well worth seeking out an original 'Champagne' branded bottle. Thumbs UP!

shamu1's avatar

Tabu by Dana

It takes about an hour before Tabu starts to smell good. Sure I love the strong patchouli and civet notes that attack you out of the bottle, but there is a cheap, nasty, dirty smell underlying the patchouli and rootbeer accord for the first hour that almost ruins Tabu for me. I usually like animalic and "dirty" smelling fragrances, but this just smells cheap - like an old, plastic diaper full of urine. Not good. Fortunately, this fades and by the end of hour one, Tabu becomes warm and smooth, but super raunchy, no doubt coming from the very prominent civet and patchouli, and I begin to enjoy this.

It's certainly not the best oriental I've ever smelled, but I have to applaud a perfume that continues to buck every fragrance trend (I hear that it still has the same overall edge that it did in the 1930s), and is sold for peanuts. This is bold, aggressive stuff, to the point that you could make enemies wearing this if you overapply it and wear it in public. It's a real powerhouse.

Makes a good masculine scent, if you really want to make a statement

shamu1's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

Uncreative and just plain nasty, Royal English Leather is a rubbery, petroleum-laden mess. It does smell a little bit like tanned leather, but more like Kiwi Shoe Polish, and certainly nothing I would ever want to put on my skin. It manages to smell both dandified and like a chemical lab, like an unrelenting wave of nail varnish.

This is not only one of the worst Creeds I've ever smelled, but one of the worst fragrances I have ever smelled, period. Creed should be totally embarrassed to be selling this garbage.

28 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

Gold Woman by Amouage

My very generous best friend was kind enough to give me one of her samples of Amouage Gold. And I do mean "generous," since this fragrance is priced between $200-$500 per bottle. Upon first spraying my initial reaction was that this could quickly develop into one of those heavy, cloying kind of oriental fragrances, but after only a couple of minutes I was enveloped in a lovely, soft, powdery, elegant, and sensual blanket of warmth. It made me so relaxed, I wanted to nap (don't know if that's good or bad--I guess no operating heavy machinery for me). I did apply this sparingly, though, which may have made a difference. Yes, it's expensive, but, in my opinion, it's worth every penny!

No. 19 by Chanel

This Chanel classic is one of my all-time favorites and if I could choose only one perfume, this would be it. It doesn’t last long on my skin, but lives a life well over a couple of days on my clothing and hair. One does have to be a fan of bright floral greens to fully appreciate its beauty. It has an intensely sharp, fresh, crisp beginning, but after several minutes it develops into a rich, elegant blend of the softest mosses and flowers and, on me, just the slightest hint of leather. But, what I find most comforting about Chanel No. 19 is the subtle, yet exquisitely floral, soapy, powdery dry-down that lingers for days (again, mostly on my clothing).

A word of warning: No. 19 is the complete antithesis of sweet, fruity, or gourmand scents, so beware, faithful fans of the latter; you may recoil from this one! I have (and love) the EDT version, but have heard that the EDP and Parfum versions are nowhere near as sharp. Evidently, the EDP and Parfum are either unavailable in the U.S. or just ridiculously hard to find, as I have yet to sample either.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

For over a couple of months now, after ordering a mini, I've had a love, not-so-love, like, not-so-like, hate relationship with this one. After all this time, I've finally decided I love it! Upon first spray, I get an intense, incredibly medicinal, assault to my olfactory senses. But, after about five or ten minutes, it does soften and dries down to quite an elegant chypre, although still very unique. It's quite intense and one needs to refrain from being heavy-handed with it, but the drydown, at least on me, is rich and lovely. If you're a fan of heavy chypres, you may like this one once you get past the opening. It's also quite affordable and a little goes a long way.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Not being a fan of Ms. Lopez, I was not expecting to like Glow, nor would I ever have expected to make this a part of my "so-called" collection. (Explanation: When I purchased it approximately two years ago, I had only a few bottles of perfume in my dresser drawer.)

My best friend and I were at the perfume counter and she encouraged me to sample it. Despite my reluctance, after one whiff, I became enamoured of this fresh, clean, soapy scent. It was later on that I discovered Ms. L designed this fragrance to remind one of that just-stepped-out-of-the-shower feeling. Up until then, I hadn't quite been able to put my finger on that description, but it's the most apt and is, of course, from the horse's mouth.

Surprisingly, I've received more compliments on this than any other fragrance I've ever worn IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I wore it almost exclusively that first summer and people consistently (practically daily) inquired about my perfume, telling me how lovely I smelled. As I've since accumulated several additional perfumes, I now only use it occasionally; mostly just before bed after a nice, relaxing bath.

Although it's fairly light, it does have exceptional lasting power and sillage (at least on me). I, personally, never got the impression of sexiness, but many men have remarked otherwise, including several "Fragrantican" gentlemen. If you love clean, soft, soapy, light florals, then this is one you won't want to be without.

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

I didn't know what to expect when I purchased this blindly from my local TJ Maxx, and, at the time, could have kicked myself for not recalling any of these reviews. But, being that it was such a great price ($9.99 USD for a 120 ml. (4 fl. oz.) bottle), I found it hard to resist.

Obviously, you have to enjoy rose scents, which I do. Although most, including this one, are rather linear; some days I really appreciate that constancy. I took my chances on this one and don't regret it. This Tea Rose is truly authentic in that it evokes the feeling of walking into a bustling florist shop filled to the brim with freshly-cut, long-stemmed beauties.

I find it layers quite nicely with other fragrances, but (word of warning) does pack a bit of a wallop if not used discretely. When used without layering, the "spray and walk" method of application suffices for me.

My only gripe is that, ironically (as with a couple of other rose scents), its authenticity makes me a target for bees during the summer months, especially if I wear bright colors. In fact I was just stung earlier this week, while wearing it. Could be a coincidence, I suppose, but you never know. I must have appeared to be a wanton flower, just "asking for it".

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

This was my first attempt at wearing a men's fragrance and was purchased mainly based on my friend's rave recommendations. Again, she was right and I quickly became smitten (at first whiff, actually) with this gorgeous concoction.

I was hit with a sharp, fresh burst of citrus right out of the gate and then, after maybe a minute or so, a blend of rich, delicious spices followed suit and settled in, unobtrusively melding to blend in with that mossy, powdery, elegant drydown that has become a familiar Chanel trademark. Ummmmm...heaven! I never lost track of the citrus notes but, although they were no longer the key players, they remained gently clinging to the spices throughout like a thin veil. It's kind of a paradox in that it has an exceptionally fresh, youthful, and modern feel, yet still evokes the sense of classic, almost vintage, sophistication and timeless beauty. Unfortunately, like Chanel 19 (one of my all-time favorites also created by Henri Robert), it's short-lived on the skin, but does linger for quite some time when spayed additionally on clothing and hair.

For women who don't feel enough bravado to wear a man's fragrance, this is a good one with which to test the waters and I recommend you definitely give it a try. It's undeniably unisex, delightfully fresh and just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

[Please note: This review is about the non-concentree version.]

septembergirl's avatar

So New York by Bond No. 9

I can’t say enough good things about So New York because this fragrance is very alluring to me. I love only gourmands I feel it’s the ultimate and perfect balance of a subtly sweet, creamy cocoa espresso scent woven with delicate airy florals. All phases of this fragrance are enjoyable. The opening plum note is deliciously mixed with the bergamot and it’s starts off the fragrance in a really sophisticated manner. The sweetness continues as it transitions into the espresso phase and quite simply, it’s just beautiful and euphoric. This is where the creamy milk subdues both the intensity of the espresso and the vibrance of the botanical notes and overall compliments the café experience. There isn’t a sickening sweetness because So New York is delivered as a successful, tempting gourmand with a warm, carefree nature.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

In the early days of my collection, I excitedly bought this one as I was captivated by its astonishingly bright & genuine lemon top note and its funky yellow bottle. However, this was before I was familiar with the concept of a base note, and by the time I got home, the test patch on my wrist had unexpectedly developed into what I perceived was a stomach-churning blend of musk and amber, with very little of the lemon left. The following day, I took the unused bottle straight back to the shop and exchanged it for my first bottle of the newly launched (and quite wonderful) Jil Sander Feeling Man :)) - and never looked back again.

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

1805 = sweet, nauseating toxic waste.

Was this the best you could do, Truefitt & Hill?

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Trafalgar = one annoying aquatic mixed with metallic waste.

This is a barbershop scent fit for Sweeney Todd, the demon barber of Fleet Street.

There's a woefully executed note in here straight out of a toothache medicine bottle.

Truefitt & Hill scents are difficult to find in America. Thankfully!

Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill

Spanish Leather = a light Kouros Fraicheur.

Wears close to the skin like an after-shave. Doesn't last long, which is typical for Truefitt & Hill fragrances.

Why settle for this when there's so much better out there?

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill

Clubman = fresh and clean from the barbershop, without the cloves.

Probably the best of Truefitt & Hill's fragrances (which isn't saying much) unless you love Cool Water but want to pay three times more for it, in which case Freshman may be your favorite Truefitt & Hill scent.

Back to Clubman, it's easily unisex, slightly sweet, but quite pleasant and enjoyable in its way.

evafate's avatar

Florence by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

i got an imp of this and it's my favorite date scent. it's supposed to be amber, spices, and red berries, but mostly what i get is a soft, spiced amber that smells feminine, but in a womanly, sexy sort of way.

ironduke's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Lavandula / Lavender Water by Cotswold Perfumery

Similar to lavender note Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge but lacking coldness & mint. Soliflore I think.
    Quite short lasting. 15~30 minutes on my body.

Granola's avatar

Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is the best I have tried from ELDO. It starts out with a honeyed orange (I am not too good with notes) and then it transitions into spices. There is nothing groundbreaking in the scent but it is very well done and like other ELDO scents. This last a very long time on me.

It gets my thumbs up!