Fragrance Reviews from February 2010

merry.waters's avatar
    merry.waters
    Egypt Egypt

Vétiver by Piver

Starts a bit like anise == apple + vetiver? Spicy! After 5 minutes the soft and gentle smokey vetiver rules. For my nose the further development doesn't change much. The fragrance relies on the arousing, exotic smell of the natural vetiver - well, what else? If You're after spooky "notes" why not mention dusty bone dry tube electronics, ozone, high voltage, supernatural phenolic sweetness, oil, tar? It's all in here, as far as You might imagine it. I could nearly smell my soldering iron, if that wasn't to poetic. It's definitely a mans scent, powerful, austere. Worth a try, if You dare.

Air's avatar
    Air
    Netherlands Netherlands

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

It's truly the air of paradise. It makes me visualise a gate full of golden-purple-orange May roses. In a way it's the gate of desire. Then deep purple colours add to this masterpiece as if there is a secret dawn coming up in the sky. A luring floral scent, coming up with intense smokey and leathery tones, like nothing else you've smelled before. The cummin & coriander bring it very close to the skin, while petitgrain, rockrose and jasmine inject you with feelings of nostalgy and I dare to say desire, to experience something from the past but you can't explain what. L'Air du desert Marocain is like a deja vou. It's familiar, you think you've been smelling it around , you desperately try to find perfumes you already know to relate to, but in vain.All of them are only the shadow of this amazing perfume. After a while it gets warm woody and very very sensual. Then it's time to spray again.......

Billy Budd's avatar
    Billy Budd

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

I get a lot of delicious smoke (not like ashes, but like something delicious burning), woods, lots of leather, something green, and the animalic castoreum. I cannot identify more individual notes because this perfume is truly complex and incredibly balanced. Everything is super mixed and the result is truly beautiful. If they re-release it someday, I will buy a stock to last my lifetime.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Adidas Sport / Sport Field by Adidas

At first, it's quite strong, and somewhat similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme ("red box") but not as rich and a bit "synthetic"' smelling. The pyramid top notes are: apple, tomato stem, anise, green notes, black pepper, and peppermint (this is my best guess from the Estonian site, http://www.parfyym.pri.ee/?op=body&id=447&cid=5724). I generally try to avoid top notes, and I could see these top notes easily causing olfactory fatigue. The top lasted about 20 minutes, though I blow on the area sprayed to try and get it to the drydown faster.

The middle notes are ginger, cedar, lavender, geranium, juniper, jasmine, and musk. It is here that the frag morphs clearly into a Montana Homme (red box) type of fragrance.
    Eventually,the base is dry and simple: sandalwood, thyme, and moss, supposedly. The Montana is obviously superior in every way so at current prices I see no reason to buy this, unless you are really strapped for cash and feel that you must have this kind of fragrance. If you want something simpler than the Montana but still better quality than Sport Field, I suggest 273 Men by Hayman, which has an interesting smoky quality.

02 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2011)

conehead's avatar
    conehead

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Classy, refined citrus Chypre with some flowery and powdery touches as well. Very bright opening, lemony but also herbal/verbena. Also, for me, the longest-lasting citrus notes of any of the bright chypres I've tried. I've owned the EDP and the EDT of this, over the years. The EDP is longer-lasting, but there's also a very pronounced rose note, to me, that is very faint in the EDT. I currently have the EDT, and will stick with that.
    Compared to classics like Eau Sauvage or YSL PH, Boucheron lacks anything animalistic or "dirty," and it strikes me as much richer, overall.

A definite winner, and a staple in my stable.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A tobacco-laced soft oriental made slightly powdery by iris and musk notes. This is a bit challenging at the top because of the odd combination of honey, tobacco, and musk which states the theme. The dryness of the tobacco, combined with the sweetness of honey and the powdery note of musk makes an odd, tickle-my-nose kind of impression on me. Yet the whole is so delicately balanced and resolves beautifully, like a dissonant chord returning to the tonic. It is hard to resist the brilliant development and the excellence of the drydown. This scent could well be taken as the paradigm of a soft oriental: the hallmark musk, amber, incense, and sandalwood accord here assisted by elegant florals (rose and a light iris) and the evanescent pipe tobacco note. Mysterious, alluring, intoxicating.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Cognac inspired opening, with a wonderfully complex fruity and earthy dry down. Delicious and sensual.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Axis Black Caviar by Sense of Space Creations

Fresh sweet clean woodsy scent. Very plain and common but a nice scent nonetheless. Average sillage and longevity. For a fragrance named after fish eggs... well that's just weird!

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I bought this fragrance when it first came on the market and I still love it. It is warm and spicy, and its signature accord is like carnation mixed with petrol. The after shave is quite light while the EdT is heavy and more complex. This is one of those scents that mark the 1990s as a very distinctive era.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Only once in my life was I ever stopped in the street by a woman who wanted to know what fragrance I was wearing. It was Tuscany.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I was compelled to buy it after trying it out but I then found the later stages were a peculiar synthetic emptiness. Still, I think it deserves a thumbs up for the opening, which is spectacular. I remember saying once that this fragrance was so close to being a masterpiece that it hurt. It seems Luca Turin feels the same as he describes it as "frustratingly close to greatness" in The Guide.

timaru's avatar
    timaru

Molecule 02 by Escentric Molecules

Tested this again today and I'm still gutted.
    This is said to be pretty much pure Iso Super E and about 50 percent of people can barely smell it at all, to the other 50 % its amazing, overwhelming and everpresent.
    I'm in the first group, my brother told me he smelled it distinctively from a few metres distance and he was more than fond of it.
    To me its a skinscent, a little sandalwood, a little syntheticness and a little sweetness but overall nothing spectacular.
    I'l give it a neutral because of its effect on others and because its definitely not bad but I'm missing the show.

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

Cold by Benetton

This is a very decent fresh fragrance. I get a combination of citrus and a candy-like green accord. It could also very possibly be the listed vanilla that contributes to the very appealing sweetness. This actually smells a whole lot better than many recent designer releases of a similar genre, that are more than 5 times the cost.

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Very synthetic and very sexy. I sense a luxurious muted floral surrounded by sensual somewhat spicy and vague fresh notes. I am not sure how long the scent lasts, or if it has a remarkable sillage, but it smells great freshly sprayed out of the bottle, which, by the way, is a cool contraption. Very appealing and salient, without being ostentatious.

da_markos's avatar
    da_markos
    Poland Poland

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

strong, strange, stunning - "in your face" and "love or hate" fragrance. i like it but it took me time to do this....

oldfooltoo's avatar
    oldfooltoo

Fresh Citrus by Pecksniff's

This starts as a light and somewhat sweet citrus and ends up as a faint pleasant oakmoss. It is more important as part of my summer wardrobe, when heavy scents aren't part of the landscape.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

One could easily make a case for this being the embodiment of raffishness. The leather presence is less about sexual domination and machismo, more kidskin gloves and glorious floral decorations. It is not beautiful, but charming, not witty, but charming too. It has the camphoric, leather and floral hallmarks of Knize Ten, but Bandit is much less of an egotist than its Austrian friend. Despite its undoubted potency, it pulls its punches and allows its sheer extravagance to be the major talking point. I think I may very well be in love

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

For those that are not familiar with this little gem, its name and spirit were inspired by the Turkish Baths built in 1862 by the London & Provincial Turkish Bath Co Ltd, and was located at No.76 Jermyn Street. The last one at No.92 Jermyn Street closed its doors as recently as 1975.

If the current version has any similarity to the original, then William Penhaligon certainly captured something of the exotic, faintly medicinal qualities of those ancient treatments.

Beyond the bracing bergamot and lavender opening, Hammam Bouquet has an intriguing blend of floral and spiced elements. The floral ingredients add some slight but natural sweetness, and the suggestion of cedar adds warmth and depth. I found considerable creativity and luxury in the heart notes, and it seems the perfect companion for formal occasions or cooler climes.

Despite having its genesis back in 1872, it has undoubtedly been updated several times, and it actually feels much more modern. This is a quite splendid oriental.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Caron’s Pour Un Homme represents an exercise in effective simplicity. With a dry herbal opening of lavender and rosemary, it is lightly and briefly supported by a basic citrus presence. With the recession of these lemon and bergamot notes, the approaching vanilla and tonka presence ensures that the slightly bitter herbaceous opening is neither excessive nor dominant. Caron manage to tread a fine line between these two sides, and ensure that the fragrance maintains its intrigue until the finale. It could easily have over-balanced into a cloying cliché, but it remains true to the spirit of the opening throughout. Overall, this is pretty linear, but it’s well executed.

Mar Azul's avatar
    Mar Azul
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

After the first spritz and having recently tested Arabie, my first reaction was 'Yet another "edible' Lutens fragrance. What kind of cookie is this?
    Well, dried fruits, they say. With more than a touch of other not-so-appropriate spices, taken again from a Moroccan souk, yet meant for a completely different dish.
    Then it becomes salty and a bit 'meaty'. That's the leather, they say.
    Now, this may be the finest suede, but the scent as a whole is somehow brutal to my nose. This fruity, and spicy, and wrong note haunts the whole pyramid. Don't let the word 'blond' mislead you.

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

I have to agree with the reviewer who mentioned that this one smells like pencil shavings. That's right on.

Something about it reminded me of Gucci pour Homme - kind of an "ashy" smell that they share.

It may be a "technical" good fragrance that I don't have the knowledge to appreciate, but as a younger guy, it's not for me at all. I wear cologne on a daily basis, and this is the only one that has ever given me a bona fide headache. I could see the guy in the cubicle next to mine making faces as well - probably should have known better than to use it for office wear. My head was throbbing, I felt sick to my stomach, and I had to go to the bathroom to wash it off. Not recommended, especially for the younger crowd.

Pi by Givenchy

The compliment factor almost led me to give this one a Thumbs Up. The ladies really loved it - many, many compliments.

That being said, it's a little too "buttercream frosting" for my personal tastes. Not a bad smell in any sense, but as a men's fragrance, just too sweet/vanilla/Bath and Body Works for me. I'm sure some guys could pull it off, but as a younger guy, it's not my style.

Corduroy by Zirh

Corduroy is a very appropriate name for this one - it's warm and soft. It reminds me of Curve, but smells less like straight up deodorant. I'd say it's a good "next step" if you're a Curve fan and looking to move on.

Nautica Blue by Nautica

Clean, fresh, and simple - reminds me of Chrome, but much better in my opinion. It's good for everyday wear - I use it when I want to smell good but I'm not in the mood for something too intense or I want to conserve my more expensive stuff. It might be an "aquatic," but it not as intense as Cool Water.

Mustang by Mustang

I was very skeptical of this fragrance at first based on its branding, figuring it was just a marketing ploy. I read the reviews on here though, then tested it, and was very pleasantly surprised - now I own it and it's probably one of the best I have. I was looking for something less expensive to wear so I didn't use up my "good stuff" too quickly, but this IS good stuff. It doesn't necessarily smell "unique", but if you're looking for a good, pleasant, masculine scent, this is a good buy.

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

AMARIGE MARIAGE features a nondescript white floral that's barely indolic, tempered somewhat by magnolia's citrus-like softness, yet compliments the spice-tinted wood of the star player, cinnamon. I am a sucker for cinnamon bark scents so it's hardly surprising I find this enjoyable. But the drydown to soft patchouli-laced benzoin sweetness is just as equally agreeable.

While not particularly arresting as a fragrance, I can't help but admire this very lack of pretense. There is a blissful contentment about it that puts me at ease and makes it a warm, rather comforting day fragrance.

Notes
    *******
    Top: Sicilian bitter orange, Calabrian bergamot
    Middle: magnolia, Egyptian jasmine, cinnamon bark
    Base: benzoin, sandalwood, patchouli

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

ANGE OU DEMON starts off promisingly, with a lily lurking ominously behind what is mostly powder and white flower. So I waited. Angel or Demon?

On my skin, not a trace of 'demonic manifestation' can be found. Instead all I found was an angel, not just any angel but a cute little cherubim, with lots and lots of baby talcum powder. No thanks. If I had wanted to smell of baby powder, I'd have picked Johnson & Johnson's.

I've grown wary and weary of fragrances that list more than a single perfumer as its creator. More often than not, they end up disappointingly poor. This is sadly no different so don't be deceived by the pretty Serge Mansau bottle.

*** This review is of the EDT ***

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I enjoyed the first minute with the coffee accord but it quickly loses its gourmand appeal and instead gets lighter, fresher even with (gasp!) lavender. Unexpected perhaps but I don't feel the 'attitude' at all. All I got was a plasticky note that runs through the heart of the scent.

ATTITUDE is abysmally the most incompetent Armani scent I've ever had the misfortune to sample. I finally understood why they needed 3 famous noses - to share the collective burden of a creative failure without actually damaging their individual reputation as excellent perfumers.

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A hint of florals, edged with cardamom against some very synthetic cedar, layered over sweet mildly peppery coumarin. Dilute this blend a hundred-fold and there you have it - LA NUIT DE L'HOMME. Arguably a worthy flanker for it continues the snooze-fest that the original started, but IMO a source of embarassment for a proud house like YSL.

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

A tart yet bitter-fruity note which fades away all too soon is probably the only distinctive part of the scent for what's left - powdery florals over musk and sandalwood - is something that has not only been done before but done better. Look no further than Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle.

And what the heck is a 'vinyl accord'? To 'evoke the gloss and varnish of a spiked heel'? That's probably just some marketing B*S* to create a 'novelty' buzz or hype, a tactic presumably employed to draw attention away from the fragrance's shortcomings; synthetic and uninspired just to name but two.

Still I find PARISIENNE a pleasantly wearable and safe option, especially for young women new to fragrances.

Notes:
    vinyl accord, cranberry, blackberry, damask rose, violet, peony, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood and musk