Fragrance Reviews from March 2010

janmeut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

The fragrance starts fresh with citrus, bergamot and a hint of mint, then turns in a floral aquatic fragrance with calone and lily of the vally. Sometimes hints of fruity, spicy and animalic notes, but very faint. The basenotes are mainly a powdery amber and vanilla, maybe a little wood and musk.

It is not bad at all in it's kind, but not very exciting. A little more of the mystery guests (fruity, spicy, animalic notes) and a little more strenght would turn this in a thumbs up perfume.

TaoLady's avatar

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

To quote the anonymous, cherry-skinned reviewer - one man's heaven is another man's hell...and Delices is heaven on my bod. Most frags develop very quickly on me and this is one. So the quick rush of high voltage fizzy sweet swiftly settles into cherried flowers with a well behaved vanilla and musk base. Good longevity and sillage. Just LUV it.

Edit: This review is for the Parfum - have no experience of the EDT.

01st March, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2010)

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

Is it a top-shelf in terms of quality, no. But the proportions and lack of rough edges or any sharpness make this a very easy-to-like scent. just be careful on the trigger, as it's diffusiveness and longevity is top-shelf, perhaps second only to joop in the longevity dept of all the contemporary scents.

Starts of with subdued/muted cocktail of fresh water lily/green notes/floral notes. I choose the word muted to pay homage to the olfactory-texture of this scent, which is very much heavy and muted in the style of Sung Homme or other 80's fresh powerhouses.

It slowly opens up into a heavy and thick floral/tonka scent, with just enough of that huge "80's oakmoss" note (armani ph, drakkar, santos, etc), just enough to temper the sweetness of the tonka, never to much that would confuse this scent with those dated scents. And even though this Oakmoss/cedar/patchouli play the background, and are not obvious at all upon first or even 2nd or 3rd smell, they still ad that heavy/masculine olfactory texture to this wonderful composition.

For everyone who has smelled tonka/coumarin by itself, this is as close as i have smelled to a tonka soliflore. Tonka bean is sometimes percieved as the smell of sweetened pipe tobacco, or the smell of the classic Jergens cherry/almond lotion, and it has a long-lasting masculine sweetness.

The only other note that dominates as much as the Tonka does, is a very long-lasting and pleasantly subtle floral note known as Lyral, it is a sort of violet/water-lily/lily-of-the-valley type of note, one that really keeps this one smelling very contemporary, and even fresh, or at least "fresh for such a heavy/strong scent"

And to think all that can be had for $0.15/ml, and that a typical application of this would be less than 1ml, it's probably the best bargain I can think of for those seeking a sweet contemporary scent that is still very decidedly masculine.

A+ for jacques Bogart

notes:
    Calabrian Bergamot, Spanish Lavender, Water Lilly, Aromatic Leaves, Wild Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom, Morrocan Rose, Masculine Floral Notes, Spices, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Cistus labdanum, Pipe Tobacco, Lebanese Cedar, Marine Amber, Vanilla, Tonka Beans

wtb's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

A truly alluring and sensual classic ysl. Women go crazy when then smell this on me at clubs. A keeper for me as long as live!

MFJ's avatar

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A caramelized vanilla scent that does seem to be a semi-gourmand to my nose. Done in typical syrupy fashion, with a little smoke and woods thrown in. For the most part, it appears a rather linear vanilla scent, a quality one.

mrclmind's avatar

Windsor by Creed

Windsor is a very pleasing scent. It starts out as quite a subtle fragrance which grows in volume as it blooms. The opening gin/pine accord is not quite as boozy as I was expecting; the rose heart is really quite lovely and the ambergris drydown has a higher dose of a coumarin note than I am used to from Creed. Overall it is a very enjoyable experience. I'm not sure yet that the experience warrants the price tag, but I may change my mind in time. The collector in me is definitely considering a full bottle purchase. The Fragrance lover in me feels my money is better spent elsewhere.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Good stuff,its Chanel,its fresh but its not Egoiste!

Rochas Man by Rochas

I sampled this and I liked it alot despite the fact that to my nose it was as Trebor mentioned very close to skin and with not so good longetivity for a vanilla base...
    But its really very sweet without beeing cloying. Of course during summer wont be so pleasant!

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Indeed fresh and crisp,but not the kind I like,so most girls says,prefer sweet foody scents.
    this one is a little classic to me.

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

To my opinion the best Herrera ever create. Fresh green innofensive for all year round.
    especially in summer it has a refreshing breeze. very nice!

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice office scent,light,fresh,fruity and versalite.nothing great but very good stuff with acceptable longetivity.

V pour Homme by Valentino

Very nice sweet and cotton candy as everybody says,girls love it cause its very sweet without being cloying (in cool weather) and has a sweet thick wood masculinity!
    not for summer.

Artisan by John Varvatos

What happened to the JV great idea...? starts off quite well and promising to be clean fresh and orangie but after 30 min comes off more powdery and heavier than the light citrus beginning,anyway just mediorce.

01st March, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2010)

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I like it! heavier than the original,but still pleasant fruity stracture. I wont buy it but its very good and quality stuff!

John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos

This is the original toned down and less sweet,Not bad but I was looking forward for a better release from Varvatos,to me JV original was great and then nothing...vintage,artisan and now this...pity cause I d like to support Greeks! I will but with the original!

mrcologneguy's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

If you're looking for the "good" version of Aqua Velva, try Alfred Sung Hei. Love it. Seems very similar to me, only higher quality, and a bit more smooth. Pleasantly short-lived, too. Just enough to get the classic "daddy" effect, not so much that you're gagging on it four hours later. Apply wiht caution, though. Even though longevity is short, the initial blast is strong.

Quequeg's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

Imagine the fresh scent that emanates from a trendy thirty-something who steps into the elevator in the morning. Now imagine something better and you have Erolfa. It does smell fresh and has a little citrus and in many ways is delightful. However, I am not sure how it can conjune up an image of the sea. I know the sea and this scent is nothing like it. My main objection to Erolfa is that the underlying scent is very similar to that worn by about half of the fragranced population. If this does not bother you, buy it. If you want something distinctive, steer clear

vinramani09's avatar

I am King by Sean John

I am Pauper should be the name of this fragrance . I get cheap glade peach notes and the only thing going for it is the name and millions of legions of hip hop culture fans who some how feel this , cheap cologne is a gateway to the world of P Diddy. Utterly pathetic.

FlexYoFace's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Olivier Polge is the man, he has done it again, another winner! I love Burberry The Beat. This is only for the bold and adventurous. It is a very strong peppery scent, but if you find yourself smelling only of pepper, it is most likely just you. I think your senses get fatigued after a while of sniffing this stuff and eventually all you smell is the pepper. Personally, I'm used to this fragrance and I can now smell all the notes and transitions.

Others around you will smell much more than the pepper, it's strange how it works. but that's what I've noticed. I've received plenty of compliments from men and women, and everybody says the same thing. They say it smells very crisp, clean and fresh, and I'd have to agree.

To me, it's so unique that it may well be a niche fragrance from a designer house. When I decided to buy it, it was this and A*Men that were the most unique scents in the store.

I believe this to be a dry vetiver type fragrance at heart with almost zero sweetness. I have imagined a reformulated version with more vetiver and less black pepper and a stronger wood note and I think it would be even better.

Pleski's avatar

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Loved the initial punch of acidic citrus coupled with a fresh green accompaniment (coriander?). The transition to more luxuriant, solid oils is pleasantly sophisticated if a little soapy.

The killer for me was the dusty, heavy synthetic musky base, which just reminds me of cheap, overused, sprayon deoderants in gym change rooms. It may have been cool in 1985, but it's a common environmental pollutant now.

It's possible this fragrance was specifically designed to mask more unpleasant masculine smells emmitted by pungent men, giving them an everlasting fresh talc smell. You may need to work up a terrific sweat, or smoke a pipe for a week, before it kicks in and does what it should do.

Poison by Christian Dior

True glamour. The smell of Alexis Carrington Colby.
    This perfume is very rich, beautiful and allmighty.
    I seriously can't understand why some find it to be
    both nasty and vile ... it's divine!

One of the best perfumes which has ever come from
    the House of Dior. Should be in any frag collection,
    as it will not be complete without it..!

Viva Dior ... two thumbs up.

01st March, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

Another favorite of mine..!
    Very luxurious, very classy.

Note that there is a big risk
    that you'll overdo it, two sprays
    are enough.

Discontinued in Denmark
    ... God know why?!

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

Not only is Karl Lagerfeld one of the sexiest creatures
    on the planet, he also has some of the sexiest frags.
    And some quite affordable ones too.
    To me, this fragrance is a masterpiece, and ought to cost
    at least twice as much, as it actually does.

It is a longevity monster, nearly impossible to wash off,
    and has such a powerful sillage, that it's almost too much
    ... almost!

This is the smell of the 90s, and reminds me of high school,
    as most girls back then wore this. It was hyper trendy when
    if was first released - and is still very current. It's timeless!

Can be woren by teenagers as well as older ladies.

Oh, and then it has one of the cutest flacons ever..!

01st March, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Eew! This juice is harsh and unbearable.
    But the ladies seem to love it..!

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

A fresh lemony Eau de Toilette,
    perfect for teens and beginners.

Dune PH is a youthfull scent
    with topnotes, that strangely
    enough, dosn't seem to quit.
    The instant smell when sprayed
    will continue almost unchanged
    untill the EdT evaporates..!

Christian Dior never fails.

01st March, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2010)

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

This was my first true love.

I was 15, wanted to try out something more extravagant than mere AXE!
    I went to my local perfumerie, and told the saleslady, that I wanted something
    spicy and heavy. She sprayed me on some Égoïste, and I was sold!
    I know now, that it must have been hugely unflattering on such a young boy,
    and that she must have been a poor salesperson to even suggest it to me.
    But I am forever gratefull that she did, it has been my signature scent ever since.

With that said, it's not a frag for everybody. It's quite flamboyant.
    Don't get scared off by the very harsh topnotes, they'll soon damp off,
    and leave a delightfull vanilla'ish smell, that will last you hours and hours.

A true classic ... but please, no blind buys, as it will displease some of you!

I'll give it two thumbs up ... three if I could!

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

A love/hate frag ... I adore it, it's one of my alltime favorites.
    A girlfriend of mine think it smells like rotten pickles,
    I don't care, I think it smells like pure masculinity..!

A classic!

Two thumbs up.

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

If you're looking for a sweet scent with
    longevity that dosn't stop and great sillage,
    look no further, Jaïpur will do the job.
    This is some strong juice indeed..!

Has gotten me many compliments.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This juice is divine ... simply delightful.
    This must be what heaven smells like!

01st March, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2010)

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Bought this as a blind buy through the marked place
    here on BN.
    And my God I love it ... in fact, I want to drink it,
    it's that good.

It last forever on my skin - with great sillage.

Very feminine, so I think it'll scare many dudes away!