Fragrance Reviews from March 2010

A Contre-Jour by Galimard

This one is worth trying if only for the opening spritz. Very crisp, very enticing. Love it!

This, however, is the first Galimard scent i've come across that does not last that long on me. i've reapplied three times over the past 2 1/2 hours, and just can't get it to stick.

This is a very fun fragrance, and makes a great candidate for an office scent or a hot summer night "I need to feel refreshed" scent. Quality is up there, as to be expected from this house. Wears on the light side, more like an EDT.

A Good submission from this house, but i have to give it a neutral because my chemistry isn't taking to it the way it is with Ma haute.

Journal Intime by Galimard

Oooh,,,, JACKPOT!!!!

I love this one. This is listed as a citrus, and wow is it ever. This is one of the best clean, vibrant, refreshing openings I've ever smelled. True to advertisment, blackcurrent is what you'll get when you first sniff this.

It then mellows out into a very lovely background scent, giving hte impression that you just stepped out of a shower taken in the middle of a tropical paradise. This one just makes you feel good; it's such a happy, crisp scent.

I have one complaint, however. Probably because it is a citrus it doesn't have the sillage that I'm used to from my grand diva oriental florals. Nevertheless, this is currently my favorite from this house, and next to Apres l'ondee is one of my top springtime scents.

Citizen Queen by Juliette Has a Gun

Last fall i was on a mission to add a rose to my collection and I ended up adding two: Nahema pure parfum and Citizen Queen.

I love this scent becuase of it's powdered, leathery floral dry down. This is more of a suede than a leather, which is more of a supporting scent. Actually, nothing takes center stage in this beautiful composition, it is all so well blended.

I liken it to a woman wearing sude gloves, tending to her flower garden in the early morning hours when dew is covering everything. Iris is part of this composition, which is where the powdery notes come in.

My favorite of this line (followed by Midnight Oud and Calamity J)

's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

It's Complex. I just one time tested it, i really confused what it smells, It's really Unique.
    But maybe if you use it frequently, you will be tired.

SWB's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle is an absolutely stunning fragrance and my personal all-time favourite. Detractors will point out the overall sweetness or the heavy vanilla base, both are fair points if you dislike either of those qualities in a fragrance. The dry-down is nearly all vanilla on my skin, which I am a huge fan of. I find it incredibly calming and almost therapeutic and it also attracts compliments like no other.

That said, you do have to be VERY careful in how you apply Le Mâle. It is very easy to apply too much and, if you do, everyone in a huge radius will be suffocated by the smell. In other words, too much can get cloying but in the right dose it's tough to beat in the sheer enjoyment you (and those around you) will derive from this fragrance.

Love it or hate it, Le Mâle is a modern classic as evidenced by its enduring mass popularity since its launch about 15 years ago. Two big thumbs up!

Kerosene's avatar

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

I went shopping for perfume for my wife and an SA showed me this one. Dang, what a wonderful scent. Smells classy and sexy and sweet all at the same time. I picked this over Flora by Gucci.

Corvette by Corvette

I just sampled this at Kohl's, not on my skin but on a card. I'm not at all impressed.. in fact I sampled 20+ frags today there and this one was one of the most forgettable. Very very verrrry light and dull. Nothing special.. not even worth putting it on my skin.

BTW Kohl's seems to keep all their testers out which is nice!

Mysticman's avatar

Private Number for Men by Etienne Aigner

Private Number is, or should I say was, an undiscovered gem. It opens with a fresh Eau-de-Cologne accord of citrus, lavender and orange blossom, but quickly dries down to a warm woody-ambery blend very similar to Jil Sander's Feeling Man. Private Number's base is lighter, though, and lasts quite well. It's distinctive, suave, and inviting, with a subtle sensuality beneath the refined exterior. This smells to me like Mozart's music sounds --- a lyrical, simply orchestrated journey, with little surprises along the way if you're paying attention.

Mysticman's avatar

Yardley Original by Yardley

This is the essence of 60's London in a bottle --- the British Invasion of smell instead of sound. The after shave and cologne have slightly different formulas --- the After Shave is mostly lavender, with touches of bergamot, woods and vanilla, but very unobtrusive. The cologne opens with a sparkling mixture of lavender, bergamot and orange blossom, settling down through touches of amber, sandalwood and spices, all tied together with vanilla. It's a light, fresh fragrance, with none of the artificial chemical "fresh" notes that seem to be used so heavily in modern scents. I'm guessing the composition is mostly natural ingredients, and being from 60's England, it's somewhat reserved and polite, but with a cheeky sense of fun about it too. An absolute classic, and a shame it's no longer available!

khaaai's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

If you're looking something exciting or wild, or hoping that you can make a loud, brash statement with this perfume, think again. Not that it is something bad, in the myriad of colognes where "fresh" aquatics dominate, sometimes all we need is a breather. Lacoste Original 1984 gives you exactly that: a clean and fresh scent that we all love.

shoegal68's avatar

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Love this and that's all there is to it, it's pretty, there I said it... I see alot of negative reviews but to each his own I guess.

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2010)

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Blue Sugar is a sickly sweet gourmand fragrance with excellent longevity and projection. The fragrance is fairly linear, so don't expect much change. It basically smells like organic sugar or "Sugar in the Raw". Sometimes it smells like cotton candy, or vanilla, but for the most part it's burnt sugar through and through. Beware, this is so sweet that it makes A*Men seem spicy.

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2010)

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Excellent fragrance! I don't say that too often. This pretty much stays the same from start to finish, so if you don't like the top notes, you're not gonna like this. Lots of black pepper in this, but still subdued by the background notes, so it doesn't smell like just a big pepper bomb.

Tommy Bahama's sillage is better in the beginning but still decent throughout, longevity is excellent as well -- especially since this is labeled as a cologne and not even an EDT. In regards to this.. it may actually be an EDT along with the entire line, they just use the word cologne as a marketing ploy to pull in the average Joe buyers who are most familiar with the term cologne.
    (Similar to Atelier - which are labeled as colognes, but are clearly edt's and perfumes)

This stuff actually reminds me of sea salt and cracked pepper deli kettle potato chips. The longer this is on your skin the more it smells like the ocean too. Regardless to the notes listed.. this is what I get from it: pepper, sage, coriander, sea salt, sand, ginger, leather. Although its got the leather and pepper, you'd think.. how can this be a Summer scent? Well, you've gotta try it. This is a masculine Summer fragrance (yet good year round). Tommy Bahama proves here that you can wear a masculine frag with leather and spices in the heat, without choking people out, or smelling like watermelon, coconut or apples.

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I bought my bottle of Troisieme Homme a couple of years ago, and ever since then I'd tried to convince myself that I liked this fragrance. I liked it less every time I wore it, and now I can't stand it. I hate this fragrance.

Troisieme Homme is basically a modern take on the Victorian-styled floral musks for men that dandies from that era wore. It's a scent that smells okay when you put your nose up to the spray nozzle, or even after spraying it on a smelling strip.

Wearing it, on the other hand, it is a completely different story. It smells okay for about 5 minutes, but after the top notes fade it smells sour, one-dimensional and cheap. It smells like lemon-flavored hard candy mixed with a fussy smelling grade of English lavender. It smells prissy and goofy. I feel totally ridiculous wearing this.

Perfume enthusiasts will make you feel like you've committed treason if you criticize this scent. Well then, send me to the gallows - Le Troisieme Homme is a hugely overrated fragrance. If I want my dose of dandy smell, I'll stick with my bottle of Chevalier d'Orsay, thank you very much.

P.S., One positive thing I can say is this: I gave my bottle to my wife and she wears it now. It smells pretty good on her. This is probably better as a feminine fragrance.

MY RATING: 3/10

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2011)

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

It's a well made fragrance. It does remind you of Green Irish Tweed although, it's not that similar. It doesn't have an aquatic note and differs from Cool Water which is very sweet to my nose. Despite the somewhat close similarities, Cool Water is still closer to Green Irish Tweed than this. This strays farther but keeps the subtleties. As far as purcashing it, I feel there are other better Bond No. 9 offerings to blow some cash on. Regardless, still a great scent.
    It's woodier, has an interesting tea note and is slightly sweeter. It's not aquatic and lasts about twice as long as Green Irish Tweed. I feel these fragrances are similar enough that owning both is kind of pointless but, they are far from clones regardless of what some people may like you to believe. This is a better option than Green Irish Tweed if you want to stay away from something somewhat aquatic and it lasts twice as long. If you like the bitter green aquatic freshness go with Green Irish Tweed

I'm currently smelling it right now comparing it to CW and GIT

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2011)

lespritz's avatar

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

I like it, but find the longevity lacking. Not worth the $. This could be a unisex scent for sure. They don't list vanilla as a note, but I smell it! I like this better than the Intense version and the sport or summer flankers.

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2013)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

When I first smell this fragrance it smells like lemon and grapefruit juice - its an Annick Goutal Hadrian clone for the first couple hours. Not quite as nice as Hadrian, not bad either but, boring. My biggest complaint is the citrus juice dominant first first hour or so. After it dries down the Allure elements start to emerge and blend with the light tart citrus. The Allure part of it is noticeable as a synthetic wood layered over tonka or vanilla with that crystaline musk gives it an ozonic sparkle. These same synthetic sweet wood notes seem common to all the Chanel Allures, Pour Monsieur Concentree and Platinum Egoiste as well. Allure Homme Sport is a Lemon Sorbet as it dries down! Actually smells quite nice if you could sneak up on the drydown without having to wade through the boring citrus opening. I like it sort of and give it a 7.5 / 10 for a cautious thumbs up.

JaimeB's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

I have the old formulation, in the old bottle. It is a very strange accord, with some contradictions, but as in beautiful musical counterpoint, all the suspensions and discords are resolved as you go along. The clary sage in the top note, along with the basil and bergamot, is a green start, the herbal basil and wine-like clary sage playing off in counterpoint. Florals and woods with orris root in the heart also makes some resolutions necessary, and these are found in an oriental base with its own outliers of castoreum and leather. A strange, but beautiful beast. This is like having a friend who is a bit of a diamond in the rough: At first things may be a bit unsettling and strange, but after true natures are known, you wouldn't be parted for the world.

odysseusm's avatar

Cereus Pour Homme No. 14 by Cereus

This has great potential with its herbal notes and wood. It fails for me due to an over-emphasis on violet leaves and very sweet amber. Those things dominate, in fact obliterate, the better elements. I had to scrub this off to remove the cloying, sweet, vanilla notes. Sorry gents, this didn't work on my skin (or to my taste) at all.

distortech's avatar

Vanille Fleurie by Molinard

Not bad at all! A very simple and long lasting fragrance for vanilla lovers only!

What the name says is exactly what you get!

SirWill's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Horrible synthetic citrus and tobacco. It has been done before, and it has been done better! I can see the Jersey Shore guys drowning themselves in this stuff. No thanks.

SirWill's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

I tried this today and it started out pleasant enough, but 15 minutes later a note developed that I can only describe as cat piss.

sjohnjay's avatar

West Side by Bond No. 9

Very original/unique...especially for BOND.
    "Doughy" rose and flat, room-temperature champagne.
    Smells like something to wear to a celebratory function (i.e., wedding, release from prison, circumcision, etc.). This would be difficult to wear with jeans/shorts and a t-shirt.
    It's a "pretty" scent, though hardly something to write home about.

Revision: this has grown on me ten-fold. Absolutely beautiful. NOTHING ELSE like it.....BOND No.9 or otherwise. Easily in my top 10 favorite fragrances (out of, well.....about 800 others). Men or Women can wear this; best suits a relatively 'formal' dressing/occasion.
    ***10/10***

15 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2010)

Hartman Design's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Not sure what all the fuss is about with this fragrance. Certainly mis-categorized as an aquatic, I find the opening melange of accords somewhat dirty and off-putting. After a few minutes it settles into an agreeable scent, but never scales the heights its reputation affords it.

Hartman Design's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Sweet and fruity (...pineapple? OK, I'll go along with that) opening salvo that quickly gives way to strong chypre notes and a wonderfully lasting and potent patchouli and moss drydown. The really nice thing about LpH is the lingering sweetness of the opening blast that remains well past the point in other fragrances when top- and middle-notes have faded to memory. I can't stop smelling my wrist, even five hours after moderate application. Great endurance and sillage.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

This really is such an intriguing addictive smell and i keep going back to the sample i have just for one more sniff as it does stand out from many of the fragrances i've tried.
    For me it makes me think of something a 1000yr old vampire would wear, old musty coffins, dark dried roses and i love it purely for the scent.
    Unfortunately i'm still unsure about buying it as i can't imagine many scenarios where i personally would reach for it. Still a big thumbs up from me for the scent.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Being relatively new to fragrances Guerlain were the first fragrance house i really found that stood out from the crowd and i invested in a bottle of L'Instant which i've never regretted and i intend to buy others in the range at some point in the future.
    Guerlain Homme however doesn't stand out to me and falls in with many other releases by other brands. Don't get me wrong its a nice enough sweet scent but not destined to become a classic Guerlain like Vetiver or Habit Rouge.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Just sprayed this on my hand to test about an hour ago and to my mind it hasn't changed or evolved one little bit .... just a green pepper smell and not a very clean or natural one either.
    No thanks.

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A nice enough smell but not very distinctive.
    I get a sort of gingery/spice citrus at the start which gives way to amber/hint of vanilla base.

MrFragranceReview's avatar

So New York by Bond No. 9

This seems like a lighter smoother version of Angel with less heavy gourmand notes. It's very interesting although, the fragrance seems to twist very quickly and develop into something relatively light compared to the first half hour. The wood seems to overatake the initial sweetness. Fans of Angel would enjoy this as would people who like Angel but would prefer something not so rough.

Something I wouldn't buy nor do feel amazed by it but it's a good fragrance. I give it a thumbs up but borderline neutral