Fragrance Reviews from March 2010

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Agree with PorkFat, have to add that it smells also like a scented candles shop in Bombay...or Jambalaya or some similar city in India or Bangladesh. It´s my new toilette air-freshener.

Happy by Clinique

Terrible scent! It smells so fake and synthetic. I use the word "synthetic" a lot for my perfume reviews, but oh man, this one is the king of all that is synthetic. It's like medicine and plastic. It smells bad. This one makes me want to run the opposite direction.. THAT BAD.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

It's not bad. My two friends did not like it though. I sort of did. To describe it, I would say it's sort of manly.. almost like it should be a cologne but it still retains a hint of femininity. So I wouldn't get it, unless I was a manly female.. which I am not.

note: I only smelled this through a tester strip, I am not sure it matters but I feel like its important information :).

Blue by Ralph Lauren

I now know why there are so many guys that review this. The initial scent is definitely very masculine. I just sprayed it on myself (about 20-30 minutes ago). The dry down is very long. I don't like the initial smell because I am a girl, and girls do not want to smell like dudes. However, when it dries down, it becomes increasingly feminine. It's very soft and nice. I am guessing floral. I agree with the other posters, this fragrance is hard to explain. I don't know what notes are but it's very nice. If only those top manly notes were not there.. then I might not have to return this bottle :(. To get from manly to feminine takes about 30 minutes.. I really like this smell! I am not sure about smelling like a man for 30 minutes though..

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

I don't think this fragrance deserves all these nice compliments. It was so synthetic. If you read any of my reviews.. thats really what i say about all the fragrances. But I stand by my words. Maybe synthetic isn't the word, it just smells bad though. I think it was too strong with no love. Like it's missing that warm feeling a sweet fragrance should have. It's harsh.

Note: I only smelt this fragrance through a tester strip.

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

note: I only smelt this fragrance on the tester strips.

I like this fragrance. I wouldn't buy it though, but I went to sample a bunch of fragrances (many of which were celeb fragrances) and this was the only one all three of us liked. It's sort of sweet and floral. It smells a little synthetic though (all fragrances are synthetic.. but this one is TOO synthetic, if you get what I mean).

But I'll give this thumbs up because all three of us liked it. Can't say about the longevity because I only smelt this through a tester strip.

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

Initial whiff? Didn't like it. I tried Fancy Love previous to this, and I loved it. Fancy love had a warm feeling to it (probably thanks to the vanilla). But Fancy.. was not good initially. However, the dry down started to smell more sweet and warm, but I think it's "too little too late". Not good enough in my opinion. Then again, this is my initial response. I have been using fancy love for longer so I may have gotten used to it by now? Who knows, but I know is that my initial impression is that I do not like Fancy. I will nab a Fancy Love if I can get it for cheap though.

Believe by Britney Spears

I didn't like this fragrance. It's citrus-y and too strong, that is what I thought in the beginning. After the drydown, I also didn't like it. I don't know how to explain it.. but it was just a bad smell (perhaps syntheticly too strong?) But now (it's been three, four days since I sprayed it on the tester strip, the faint smell isn't that bad). I'm not sure I can wait that long for the drydown though.

note: I only smelt this fragrance from a tester strip so I cannot talk about the longevity of the product and the chemistry with my skin.

Wrapped With Love by Hilary Duff

First off, I have only smelt this on paper and not on my own body. I am not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought I should put it out there.

I like this smells better than Hilary's "With Love". In fact, I hate her "With Love" (see my other review, in short, its too synthetic). This one is fruitier and sweeter. It has a nicer tone to it. I can't talk about the longevity of the fragrance since it's on a piece of paper and I never actually used it on my skin or clothes, sorry about that.

Terria's avatar

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Im definitely a big fan of Trumpers scents but i never got around to trying this until recently. I was intrigued by the amount of positive reviews here so i was expecting that i would enjoy this one.

The aroua from the bottle was pleasing, the first thing i thought was it could easily fit in with Trumpers "The Collection", the sandalwood came through nicely to give that barbershop feel.

However, upon application it just sat terribly on my skin. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on, the opening reminded me of a microwave curry i ate as a student. I gave it more time to settle and a burnt wood smell came though that was not at all pleasing. Eventually when it did settle i was left with a stale smell, it reminded me of a funeral home. To be honest the smell made me feel a bit on the queasy side and i was glad when eventually it did wear off.

I'm trying to picture who i could see wearing this scent and all that comes to mind is the evil Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Opens with lemony lavender then gets spicey dry light florals covering a lingering halo of armpit aroma. The animal smell is not so bad as to push you away and it offers a strange counterbalance to the sweet mellow spices. It adds experience to the innocence of the opening. The drydown of Eau d' Hermes is very very soft. It smells French and old world gentlemanly.

CoL's avatar

Classique X Collection by Jean Paul Gaultier

MUCH softer and smoother version of the original. Very nice, subtle almost gossamer like. Nice but not a patch on the original.

JaimeB's avatar

Monsieur Léonard by Léonard

Fresh, green, and aromatic, and definitely has all the hallmarks of a fougère. At first this has a bit of soapiness about it, but in a good way. That soon subsides, however, and we are left with a very nicely blended and balanced classic-style fragrance. This isn't exactly demure, but it's not wildly groundbreaking either. Nice for the office (after it dries down a bit), or or a casual afternoon's social moment. Good longevity, moderate sillage after the initial burst.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Rafale by Molinard

Opens up with the promise of a fresh herbal but turns into a sweet, watery and way too polite old-ladyish thing in a matter of minutes. Dated and on the feminine side. Stated notes - top: bergamot, mandarin, lavender, lemon; middle: jasmin, lily of the valley; base: cedar, sandal, vetiver, musk

jacquia's avatar

Gypsy Water by Byredo

Similar to Serge Lutens Douce Amere, although I prefer SL - has very little staying power.

nonnative's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

While Gucci EdP is a classy, weareable, nice fragrance ... its bottle is for me a nightmare. Too heavy and unconfortable, it get's dirty very easily as the parfume drops on the large surface of the top. In times when packaging is crucial I can't understand why the didn't plan a more user-friendly bottle.

sjohnjay's avatar

Central Park by Bond No. 9

Yeah; it's pretty good.
    It smells like something I'm quite positive I've smelled before. I don't know WHAT.
    Very casual and relatively conservative. GOOD...not GREAT.
    I smell wood, lime, wood, wood, wood, lime, wood, and wood.
    Here's the part that has me absolutely flabbergasted: This is (marketed) as unisex.
    I find this to be about as feminine as Kouros.
    When I consider every aspect of the equation (i.e., PRICE-TAG), this is not fully worthy of a thumbs-up rating.

Hartman Design's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Oftentimes perfumers speak of "balance" when constructing a fragrance, and L'Eau certainly fits that description: It's a mélange of notes evolving over time that somehow manage to work.

On the other hand, most successful blends allow a few dominant notes to take center stage in order to bring clarity and sparkle to the experience. L'Eau comes dangerously close to failing that litmus test, although on my skin, its progression is united by a persistent ginger note lurking in the background. Were the ginger any stronger, I fear this fragrance would have fallen into a rather ubiquitous boatload of colognes with citrus and ginger accords powering their way through the top and heart, but in this offering I can find enough other things happening to hold my attention, including some wonderful herbal notes -- possibly clary sage -- that emerge a few minutes after spraying, albeit well in the background.

I feel this would have been an even stronger product if one or possibly two supporting notes would have been given a slight boost to bring them forward in the mix, but I still enjoy and recommend it.

oOCherylOo's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella by Guerlain

Light, fresh & crispy when first applied. A couple of hours later is still there, softer, toned down. The next morning it has become deep & woodsy. Long lasting, interesting from start to finish. This is a complex & compelling fragrance.

Kinok's avatar

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

It's not really a bad scent, honestly, it just is extremely sharp. Also really very linear, not that that is a bad thing. Its initial spray is almost eye-wateringly sharp and citrus and pepper come out to play. To my nose (which is rather untrained still) it smells very much like a very very sharp citrus chemical cleaning product. That being said, its main good point is that it is SUPER refreshing. If you are looking for something very cheap for those very hot summer days or nights, this is probably a good scent. However, if you are not a citrus lover or want something a little more mellow or multi-dimensional, chances are you should look elsewhere.

Kav's avatar

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Tabac is a violin. Do not play it like a country western fiddle player taking requests at a pizza parlour. It is subtly complex and if you sit with it for the drydown the notes play like Mozart. Spray to much and it's ' I lost my truck,job,girl and dog but I still love Jesus.'

Ambre by Molinard

Yikes - I'm the first negative reviewer! I bought a bottle of this (based on the unanimously positive BN reviews) off the 'Bay for a very good price, looking forward to something extraordinary. I have limited experience with amber as anything other than a note amongst many others, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Unfortunately I seem to have landed myself with something which contains both of the things I hate most in all of fragdom - VERY sweet and VERY powdery, and nothing to off-set either. To me it very much lives up to its feminine category and even one spray on my chest seemed to hang around forever without that sweetness never dying down. I blame myself entirely for buying a complete unknown completely blind, so this negative review should be taken with a pinch of salt, but if you DON'T like strong sweet and powder scents, DO NOT buy amber. At the very least, test it first. If you love it, go for it with aplomb. But if you don't love it, you'll be thankful that you didn't do what I did and spring for a full bottle without having a clue what you were getting.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

A true classic among modern fragrances, even those who normally shun designer frags are generally complimentary. A zingy, fruity, fresh and slightly (but only slightly) sweet opener gives way to some light woods and spice and a little bit of aquatic undertone on the dry down. Sounds a mess, but it all blends splendidly - HB obviously spent a lot of time on this, their signature replacement-of-sorts of the awful Boss Number One, and not before time either. Both sillage and longevity are reasonable, but not as much or as long as I would like. Nevertheless it's great juice. The one thing that confuses me about this is the BN notes having it as released in 1998 - I received a bottle of the aftershave for my 16th birthday (I remember it well as it was my first "grown-up" frag) which was in 1995 and I'm sure I saw it being advertised on TV even before then. Anyway, probably HB's best release.

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Good grief! A stereotypical 80s powerhouse which ticks all the stereotypical 80s powerhouse boxes - strong, cloying, heavy handed, not in the least bit subtle, stale, musty, loud spice. Now, for my sins, I love most HB releases (even most of the current range of aquatics), but Number One to me represents everything that was (and is still) bad about 80s fragrances. Quite how the thing has made it into the 2010s I'll never understand, but then Old Spice is still going strong, so what do I know!

Brut by Fabergé

Yes, it's true - the current (post Faberge) Brut is, sadly, a completely different animal. Current Brut is very close to Brut 33 (which is, weirdly, still available), released in the 70s as a lighter (AKA watered down) version of the original. Faberge Brut (which itself was slightly re-formulated in every decade it seems) was a fantastic dry powdery, soapy and herbal scent with a slightly citrusy undertone that was perfect for any situation and any weather and more often than not it drew many compliments (as long as you didn't say it was Brut!). The current Brut is still powdery and soapy, but some of the herbs seem to have gone and I no longer detect the citrus at all. I treasured my late 80s/early 90s bottle and was quite put out when I finished it and discovered it had changed beyond my recognition. The new one is…okay. But not a patch on the 80s/90s one, which probably wasn't a patch on the 70s one, which probably wasn't a patch on the 60s original. Forunately I recently snagged a late 80s/early90s bottle of the EDT, so I'm Faberged up again and I'd forgotten just how rich and smooth the original was. A thumb up for that, but at the end of the day an average 3 out of 5 altogether - 5 for the old Faberge, 2 for the current version.

Devin by Aramis

Although this review is specifically for the vintage late 70s original, which I was fortunate enough to score as new old stock, the new Gentlemen's Collection release smells exactly the same despite being slightly lighter in colour. Devin has a similar evolution as Tuscany - it opens with a loud, dry and spicy citrus before settling down into a fresher and more subtle base. At this base, going through some florals which come back again at the very end of the dry down, is a woody and leathery chypre which is far more subtle and relaxed than the pyramid suggests. Devin, as an EDC, lacks the head scratching complexity, epic longevity and beastly sillage of that other late 70s monster VC&A Pour Homme, but that's not a criticism - Devin is more refined and better behaved and it doesn't induce the same amount of paranoia over whether or not you've had one spray too many. Despite being an EDC, Devin's longevity and sillage are still quite good without out-staying their welcome - I get 6 to 7 hours easy, compared to a lot of EDCs which wimp out in half that time - and it's one of the few 70s chypres which can be worn confidently in formal situations without offending others.

GrigioPerla by La Perla

One of the best barbershop fougeres on the market, but it's not just another barbershop fougere - its development is rich and complex, its layers very distinct and prominent. It's also unlike pretty much every fougere around. Grigio Perla's opening and middle notes are chock full of green - herbs, fern, light moss, I even get a slight hint of pine, all accompanied by a splash of light citrus in the opening and the barbershop soapy note in the middle - it's like a more refined and higher class Brut, when Brut was still made by Faberge and still a giant among cheapo frags. As it heads towards its base after a couple of hours and long after the citrus goes, the classic fougere gives way to a sweet floral which isn't too feminine and the soap lingers in the background. Sillage and longevity on me are great. Like a previous reviewer said, you still CAN get this despite the discontinued marker. Hopefully it won't be properly discontinued because it's a little masterpiece.

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

I don't agree with all these comments that say Trafalgar is a weird scent with a cooking herb element. What I get, all the way through, is reminiscent of a classic eau de cologne with a touch of spice, woods and florals - it opens with some distinct and very slightly powdery (in a pleasant way) citrus, then the jasmine comes on strong and then I get the cedar and cardamom all at once. Sounds like a bit of a train wreck, but for me it all plays out wonderfully. Of the four traditional English barber companies, T&H aren't the cheapeast but they probably have the nicest and highest quality frags - each one is very independent from the other and considered on its own merits, unlike Trumper and DR Harris who seem intent on putting a signature note or two in pretty much everything they release (in Trumper's case cloyingly sweet powder, in DR Harris' case a much more pleasant old style citrus). Trafalgar's sillage and longevity is, unfortunately, among the weakest of the T&H range (perhaps not surprising given the relatively minimal pyramid - even taking into account the things not listed on BN, there's still not an awful lot going on for an 80s frag) but paradoxically, if taken as an eau de cologne alternative, it's spectacular - 4 hours at least. Still, it does make it quite expensive, but very worthy all the same, in my opinion.

Men's Care by Atkinsons

Shades of several Atkinsons frags of the past - some Royal Briar, a touch of Executive, some I Coloniali Guajaco Wood and a trad EDC type opening from Gold Medal, all blended into a citrusy, woody, gently spicy modern (but not aquatic or ozonic) approach to an old world type scent. Men's Care is largely successful, although the power and longevity of all the aforementioned frags seems to have been left out in favour of a slow, gentle burn. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as, unlike most of those older frags, Men's Care lends itself to being worn in most situations quite comfortably. It also reminds me a lot of Azzaro Pure Cedrat, with less sillage. The biggest props for Men's Care go to the price point - 100ml of EDT which smells like it's made with pretty good ingredients for £6.99. Can't give it anything but a thumbs up.

Green Tea and Jasmine by L'Occitane

L'Occitane frags are usually fairly reliable and rarely is one disappointed with them and I was pleased when I first heard that they were exanding their green tea line. This one with jasmine sounded like it might be the most interesting, given that there are already lots of tea scents with mint accords. Only problem is, after owning it for nearly a year, I'm still not quite sure what I think about it. It opens with that strong and wonderfully fresh tea note as found in the original green tea and then the jasmine, eventually, comes out, albeit quite a ways down in the mix. I get some fruity hints as well but also, and this is where I remain undecided, I'm convinced the whole thing then gives way to what I can only describe as a public toilet after it's had a deep clean, and it's this part of the frag that hangs and hangs and doesn't change. It wavers between pleasant and…well, clean public toilety. Still undecided.