Fragrance Reviews from April 2010

manicboy's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

One of the worst CK frags ever. Dull and synthetic, no redeeming value here. Buy only to use as a bug spray. For other uses, not recommended.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Vétiver by Carven

oh my god............i still remember the original vetiver by carven- a really great scent- the reformulation is a cheap,sad and really huge disappointment!Why is this company as all the other ones not able to stick to the original formula and launch the the original composition on the market?Why are they messing up all these great scents??!!Think of vetiver by guerlain-another really timeless and classic vetiver that was reformulated too....okay it is still good but we don´t want bad reformulations -we want the original versions.The reissue of vetiver by Carven is a desaster!Use it to clean the toilet!One of the worst reissues of all times!

Snafoo's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

Perhaps Coromandel isn’t the best choice for my first fragrance review, but neither is it the worst. Not having owned a full bottle of it, we’re still not on familiar terms, but Coromandel is definitely a fragrance I’d like to visit on a regular basis. This one could have been named Egoiste Pour Femme (or perhaps Egoiste should have been named “ Coromandel Pour Homme”?), because I get a hint of a shared composition – on a tester strip, at least. On skin, however, the similarity is less obvious because the patchouli in Coromandel seems to come alive on my skin. But this is no one trick patch pony by any means – frankincense, amber and other spice notes provide an exotic Levantine richness, benzoin sweetens the deal, and a hint of chocolate pervades for the first hour or two. As the patchouli eventually recedes, its camphor remnant emerges for the end game. This is one of Chanel’s best; my only regret is that it doesn’t come in a mortal-size quantity – 200 mL is enough for several lifetimes of discrete use.

goodlight's avatar

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

How can I not mention the bottle? Mine is even special because it is the 'Garland' edition with sky-blue flowers on top (they said the fragrance is the same and only the bottle is different from the original). I never buy fragrance because of a bottle, and I never will, but the super-cute adorable bottle definitely does not hurt and probably influenced me a little bit in making the purchase.

Everyone seems to agree that the bottle is cute. But that is about the only thing I have in common with other reviewers. I was expecting a fresh, girly scent (I love my Coco and Cruel Gardenia and so on but some days you want to be just casual, if you know what I mean). Instead, what I got was a very grown-up white flower scent with amber and musk drydown. I had to sniff myself again to check if I was wearing Estee Lauder Intuition layered with Bulgari Omnia (the brown bottle, not the flanker) instead. Although it was not what I originally had in mind, it was a pleasant surprise. The opening reminds me of J'Adore and then it quickly veers into Intuition/Omnia/something sultry territory for me. Weird, but nice.

Brit Sheer by Burberry

Reminded me of Gucci Envy Me. Like it's sister Burberry Brit, Brit Sheer doesn't offer anything special; it, too, is an ordinary cologne-like scent. Nice, yes, but ordinary. Doesn't make a statement. I'd prefer Envy Me if I wanted a floral fragrance.

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Parisienne is the second ficklest, most unstable fragrance I've ever smelled -first being The One. One minute it's sweet and nice, the other minute it's artifical and sharp. I liked the first burst of rosy fruity smell; then after 15 minutes I said "Now I remember why I didn't like this fragrance. It's ugly". Then, it became a creamy, sweet and luxurious scent that I liked a lot -in fact it resembled Ultraviolet, even though there isn't any similar note. In short, if I could find a way to skip first 15 to 45 minutes and directly transfer to the third phase, I'd say Parisienne is a great fragrance, instead I say, "You can do better..".

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

Opening up in a sweet strawberry-ish smell, Le Secret is not a secret but a loveable fruity scent. Unfortunately it's not lasting as its big sister Ange ou Démon, in three hours it's totally lost on me. Though I cannot say it has a very distinct character, I liked Le Secret as a sweet summer fragrance. Nice and clean.

urfliness's avatar

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

To me Coze picks up where Polo left off.I thinks it's quite genius actually.The spices draw you in and the chocolate puts you to sleep.Well worth the price.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

I definitely smelled Gardenia over the tuberose on my skin. It was not as strident as the other gardenia fragrance ( E.Taylor ) I tried, but nonetheless, this was a wisp on my skin. I sprayed a large amount from a distance of about 4 inches and as warm and rich as this was, I'm not sure I care for that prominent of a note on my skin. It was and still is buttery on paper, but soliflore, albeit beautiful soliflore on my skin. Ah chemistry. One hour tops in the depths of a warm spring on me, creamy and lilting on the paper strip. Sigh. I so wanted to love you.

Maja by Myrurgia

I was really surprised. I tried this in 70o heat of spring and wasn't expecting much. It wasn't overbearing, like I thought it would be. It was spicy and subtle believe it or not. I think this could be pulled off during any season. thumbs up.

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Upon first spray, I was smitten, but the drydown was harsh and synthetic. A wee bit too masculine for my tastes.

Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta

I was expecting a rose with some spice, but even in the warmth of spring, it reminded me of a heavy oriental, but with weak staying power. I guess i was just expecting a moderate strength rose, but this was off putting to me.

Songes by Annick Goutal

I adore this beautiful scent, but each time I try it, it wears so differently. I love the drydown of this creamy goodness. It also packs a punch as I get deep yet ladylike indoles that wrap themselves around this scent. The frangipani didn't come out on me until about an hour and a half later. I didn't find a person whom didn't like this, but it certainly wears deeper and richer than Gardenia Passion on me. The richness of the jasmine reminds me of Joy but with a kick.

One to definitely try on your skin, more than once as this is something you may have to learn to appreciate, but once you do, WHAM, it's incredible.

Scent-e-mental's avatar

UDV Fire by Ulric de Varens

This is a nice enough warm fragrance, which has similarities with Xeryus Rouge, but without the staying power (about 2 to 3 hours) and sweetness. It is a budget fragrance and so the lack of longevity is to be expected. It is hard to pick the exact constituents, but I would take a stab at it and guess that there is pepper of some sort, musk and some other spices (possibly cinnamon).

w3pearl's avatar

Pure Poison Elixir by Christian Dior

This is very much alike a deodorant spray called "Impulse Incognito".

I always loved that spray, and wished it would also sell in perfume form. Well, my dream has come true, Pure Poison Elixir is "Impulse Incognito". I'm very happy about my precious discovery.

Impulse Incognito carries many wonderful memmories of mine, and I love the smell. Therefore, I'm happy and very enthusiastic about P.P.Elixir !!!

5 stars out of 5, I love it !!!

cowboykenny27's avatar

Montana pour Homme by Montana

cowboykenny27
    Excellent fragrance Very citrus - almost lemon sherbit (but not in a gourmand way )perhaps lemon verbena would be a better description . It smells refined and It is totally unique when compared to other citrus fragrances . and most importantly it lasts !!!! Lovely lovely fragrance .A definate favourite in my wardrobe

Chino's avatar

Quasar by J del Pozo

AAHHH when a fragrance brings back memories it can be good or bad. I sampled this & at first smell it reminded me of my aunt in Mexico that would sell fragrances. This was in the late 90's. Those fragrances were not famous designer brands by any strecth but unknown fragrance houses I would assume. At first I though the scent was too strong, but aren't most frags like this? 1 minute later I sniffed again & was very pleased. It gave a fresh & fruity projection, although smelling a bit synthetic, that was uplifting. I've now bought a full bottle & can say that this frag is very versatile. Warm or cold weather-- day or night-- formal or casual-- etc. but I prefer using Quasar during cold weather. Great scent, long lasting (don't over apply, try 1-2 sprays first & see how it reacts to your skin chemistry), inexpensive, uplifting. A winner in my opinion.

Persolaise's avatar

Malabah by Penhaligon's

This isn't quite a scrubber, but it outstays its welcome very quickly and adds fuel to the argument made by several critics that Penhaligon's scents aren't nearly weighty and meaningful enough to justify their high price tags.

The opening is far more fresh than it needs to be: a simple, linear citrus that's so clean, you're bored within seconds. Then the spices start bobbing their heads up and down with a giggly bashfulness that makes you want to slap them across the face and yell at them to stop being so silly. And then things get a little bit floral, a little bit woody, a little bit oriental... and everything cancels out everything else and you're left with the worst sort of English pleasantness: cheap, spineless and yawn-inducing, it tries to please everyone and fails in irritatingly underwhelming fashion.

[Review based on a sample of eau de parfum obtained in 2010; fragrance tested on skin.]

Fleurissimo by Creed

This is definitely a wedding fragrance. It smells very formal with rose and other flowers in the mix, mature but young and feminine too. I would say it is a elegant, formal and even romantic fragrance that smells very very expensive. This is a wedding, formal event, and very fancy dinner type of scent.

Spring Flower by Creed

Nice fruity and flowery type of smell you can smell the fruit very much in this fragrance. Great smell on a woman, more of a casual fragrance in my eyes but nicely done. I could see a woman wearing this in a less formal setting, hanging outside with her significant other to eat, a picnic, on the beach, and on a tropical vacation.

Original Vetiver by Creed

This is a redo, even though I still love the 1948 vetiver by creed, this one is wonderful. Think of clean and sophisticated at the same time, very nice day time fragrance. I think now I am used to the smell of vetiver and what was I thinking, this fragrance is awsome. I will have to get some later to use as my all purpose vetiver since the 1948 one is going to be retired.

01st April, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2010)

Love In White by Creed

It's ok but not that great to me, there is a distinct raw sugar type of smell that I cannot explain but that is all I get. It is as if they took sugar and put it in water , I am not impressed.

Himalaya by Creed

Got a very refreshing but pleasant blast from the bottle on opening, refined lemons, florals and masculine musk. My first Creed, I was very disappointed at the scents linearity and longevity, the introduction was very nice, natural, but I wanted more development. For the investment, the would-be purchaser deserves more, this stuff is easily over £85 on the cheapest sites. But there was no more, just a continuation of cool, fresh musk and airy florals.

This is good, no doubt, but should've definitely been more, I give it a very lower-end neutral here. But for £85, no less than two thumbs down. You'll get more satisfaction elsewhere and so will your wallet, and that's not supposed to be said about a Creed.

Brit for Men by Burberry

No, overall I didn't prefer this, even though I wanted to, I just couldn't. I get a nice ginger and nutmeg/spice combo which I appreciate, and the bergamot top is always nice. But a thickly dominant rose aroma sort of spoils it, and it persists for the duration of the scent, spoiling it a bit more. Guess that's an accord, sadly. I get more of the rose, but less of the mentioned musk and tonka, stuff I like.

Its similar in the drydown to Lacoste Elegance, but that lacks the rose and presents a great minty thyme instead that keeps even the base fresh, whereas this just fades away as a dull rose infused ginger cake dessert. Still it's popular, I guess I just fall out of the scent radar for this one

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

There is a reason why the Dior name is everywhere perfume-housing. This sparkling, stellar, iconic olfactory example leads by example with good reason. It is the definition of a premium perfume. The opening pours on the quality, with vetiver-like freshness and rare, sweet florals. It is a touch synthetic, but here, flawlessly implemented like all top class products do.

The fragrance then moves to sweet, but clean cardamom and a daring feminine bag-lipstick, which is immaculately balanced by the airy-florals and a fresh leather. The woody base is standard, but keeps some of the top note elements, making the whole package immensely satisfying, also it is quite long-lasting. A real classic

01st April, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2010)

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Ug, no, this is just Joop Wolfgang for me again, and I hated that. I get an initial burst of synthetic orangey-vanilla, notes I just cannot stand and just find nauseating to the extreme. So thats that for me with this one.

Berg's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

a strong, synthetic fougere. may be headaching yes i agree. but the more time I tried to spent with this frag, it smelt more beautiful. authentic, unique, monster sillage, nice longevity, and a 'heavenly' dry down. the dry down is what makes this fragrance called "Eternity"

Virabhadra's avatar

Pasha by Cartier

I get the spice very clearly with this one, from top to bottom. I'm still unsure what I smell in the top notes (the combination is a bit overwhelming), but the dry down is very fast and the bottom notes are intense. I would describe this as a very linear scent. Contrary to the other reviews, this one comes across as very warm to me. Almost like a still-burning pile of coals sprinkled with Indian oil. The first time I smelled it (on paper), I loved it, but on my skin, it's just too bold and not mysterious at all. In fact, every time I smelled it, I got a rush of light-headedness and almost passed out! The strongest notes, for me, are the sandalwood & patchouli, but they are not elegantly used as in some other fragrances. As I sit here and sniff my arm, I am still getting a light-headed rush every time. It feels like every sniff pops a blood vessel in my brain.

I would put this one alongside YSL's Kuoros in the way too in-your-face-spicy category (and Kuoros is even more in-your-face than this one). Even though I love eastern scents, this one smells a bit like a common bottle of essential oil from India.

I'm giving this a neutral rating because I'm saving my thumbs-downs for the "fake-sophistication" fragrances that I smell on preps after I run them down with my car.

icy's avatar

Yellow Jeans by Versace

I wanted to like this one, but I couldn't get past the beginning. OMG it smelled of very intense shoe polish or wasp spray.

Eklecktika's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Each time I’ve put it on I’ve been hit by an increasing amount of what seems to be ‘powder’, earlier and earlier. Today, I squirted it in Macys, and walked out immediately. Before I got to my car, I found the powder. Which isn’t a bad thing, per se. Disappears rapidly on me....Good for evening, perhaps. I can see this being a wintertime daily wear thing as it's 'warm'.

I still like it though, well enough to order a jug from Amazon. It really seems to vacillate between a grownup version of baby powder and sex. Weird. But I think I love it. There’s just a hint of old lady in there that I’m not wild about, but eh, we’ll see. It doesnt have that goshawful 'sweet' smell of being puked on by a flower garden, which is refreshing!

It's one that I can NOT get out of my mind, so I now own it.