Fragrance Reviews from April 2010

Scarlett by Keiko Mecheri

A cacophony of spices. Scarlett is green with more than its share of clove. It is fresh. It reminds me of some of those “bay rum” fragrances that smell of cloves. This, though, is lighter; it’s done with much more subtlety, complexity, and sophistication, but I get too much cloves to the detriment of the orange and May rose notes. The version of angelica that is presented in Scarlett, instead of annoying me as it often does, contributes an additional element of interest to the composition. I don’t get any rose note in Scarlett, but I don’t miss it. This fragrance comes across to me clean and bright and crisp and definitely unisex or even masculine. Its sillage is not strong, but it’s stronger than a skin scent, Its longevity is about average.

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

I often dislike rose fragrances, but this one is different for me. Rose Ikebana’s soft rose is joined to a clean green note and a slightly sour citrus note: It’s a delicate, clean, and uncomplicated presentation of the rose accord and I enjoy it so much more than the strong, heady rose accords that appear in so many of the rose fragrances. Being uncomplicated, Rose Ikebana seems to be quite linear, and the main change in the development of the fragrance is the waning of the citrus note and the waxing of the rose note – but the rose never comes close to the “heady” stage. In this particular instance that linearity is a good thing. I find this a unisex fragrance that tilts a bit to the feminine side. It has less than normal sillage and inferior longevity.

Jasmine by Keiko Mecheri

As the others have said, this is a soft, pure, simple, non-indolic presentation of the jasmine note. It’s beautiful and endearing in its green-jasmine simplicity. I don’t smell any other floral note, but I do find a petitgrain note in the background. Soft sillage and good longevity: Keiko Mecheri’s Jasmine is a lovely, lovely solo floral fragrance – a clear and unadulterated presentation of this excellent floral note.

Passiflora by Keiko Mecheri

A tropical fruity / floral… Passiflora combines the passionflower and the essences of tropical fruit on a base of white musk. It’s nice… a bit edgy, sweet, lively… but I’m afraid that it is a niche fragrance that reminds me a bit too much of some of those Escada tropical summer fragrances. This is a pleasant, enjoyable, easy-wear fragrance, non-synthetic, but I just don’t find it to be niche quality. I think the tropical concept is done better in MPG’s Bahiana, Parfume de Nicolai’s Cococabana, or even in Molinard’s Nirmala…

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

Beautiful opening of peach, tea, and a floral that I believe is primarily freesia. (Another osmanthus fragrance rather short on osmanthus.) The tea note is quite important in the accord – it gives a mid-tone richness and breadth to the fruit and floral. It’s quite stunning for as long as it lasts, but It isn’t long before the opening apricot / freesia loses its special beauty and becomes an excellently pleasant fruity / floral that would be of designer proportions except that its olfactory substance is quite diminished: It could be called “sheer”; it could be called “minimalitic”: it could be called “weak” – take your pick… But it is an excellent skin scent, and that it exhibits an excellent minimalist drydown of apricot, white floral and suede.

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil by Hermès

Hard to believe that this is as expensive as it is. It’s basically a collection of some capsicum-related spices and a green (and a not-to-impressively green at that) accord. These uninspiring notes are eventually followed by a demure wood drydown. I don’t know what else to say about it except that it is a pleasant scent without a strong sillage. Paprika Brasil boasts average longevity. If that is worth a couple of hundred, go for it. I’ll pass…

Caldey Island Lavender by Caldey Abbey Perfumes

Caldey Island Lavender is a beautifully clear and clean lavender fragrance: It presents a pristine lavender note, and I thrilled with this because lavender is one of those notes that has been punched and prodded, bullied and brutalized, synthesized, bastardized and mongrelized in so many fragrances that I can barely tolerate the usual offering of lavender in a general, run-of-the-mill fragrance. …But not this one: This one is beautiful. It’s clean and pure to the point of its possessing an ethereal earthiness – very much like the lavender flower itself. I can only hope that the Caldey Island monks will now try their collective hand at creating a clean and pristine violet fragrance…

Notre Flore Iris by L'Occitane

The papyrus shows up in the opening provides an interesting note to couple with the iris and pink pepper of the opening: It makes for a unique introduction. There is a violet note in the opening, too; it’s quite light and I don’t know if it is a separate violet note or if it’s the iris itself – either way, I could do without it. The galbanum comes through strongly, and this is one of those galbanum types that I find too aggressive – I don’t see this strong, rather harsh green note as adding anything constructive to the fragrance. I don’t get much of a drydown, what little there is rather generic .

There’s not very much in Notre Flore Iris that I enjoy… I love a good iris note and I enjoyed the papyrus note, but I simply do not like several of the other particular notes that were chosen to augment the what-was-supposed-to-be a dominant iris fragrance.

Cara by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Sweet, very sweet: Almonds and caramel, amber and vanilla. It’s entirely sweet… excessively in a way, but not cloying, because it’s a naïve sweetness rather than a saccharine one. Cara is a pristine, soft, innocent fragrance… sweet and virginal, and, as often happens with innocence, it disappears quite quickly. This is a lovely youthful fragrance but its longevity is terrible.

Chia by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Delicious gourmand: toasted almonds / burnt vanilla / cotton candy. The sweet, floral, yummy opening and heart of the fragrance leisurely moves into a very nice use of amber and musk for the long-lasting gourmand base. This is a gourmand concept that works: It’s pleasant, delectable, comfortable, and as grown-up as a gourmand can get. It’s not spectacular (It is gourmand, how could it be?), but it is enjoyable and beautifully put together. Good sillage but could boast better longevity.

Hyle by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

The “ozone” in Hyle is very nicely done: amid the citrus (lemon and bergamot) and floral (myrtle) opening, the ozone is an excellent, salty, not-highly-synthetic smelling pleasantry. This opening accord is made fresher with ginger, and the whole impact is of cleanliness and clarity – the cleanliness and clarity of a good anti-dandruff shampoo… at this price, I think I’ll try to aim a little higher.

Kama by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

This is a nice scent: a soft rose and a smooth musk. The petit grain of the opening lasts for just seconds, and I get no grapefruit at all... this opening part of its performance could stand to be better. Kama has a powdery musk and a nearly non-existent rose as its basic accord. Smelled as sillage I get a lot of powder… Smelled close to the skin I get an oily note that smells like it shouldn’t be there; this note is possibly caused by the patchouli or the ambergris or perhaps by the combination of the two. The musk and rose are quite feminine to my nose and create an aura that reminds me more of makeup more than of anything else. If you don’t smell it too close to the skin, Kama is a pretty fragrance. It is smoother and more refined than… say, Kiehl’s Original Musk, but it just doesn’t come off to me as very impressive.

Regina by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

There is something I don’t like about the combination of notes in Regina. I think my problem is the honey note combined with the chamomile note – the combination just seems unpleasant. Due to the domination of the chamomile / honey, I lose the rose, the rice, and the iris notes so the fragrance comes across to me as simplistic and unrefined. Thumbs down for me.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Twilight - The Lovely Collection by Sarah Jessica Parker

Reading the descriptions of the notes and some of the reviews of this perfume, which mentioned amber, incense and sandalwood, I became very curious about it. I wondered if this was finally Sarah Jessica's fabled 'own scent', created by layering Bonne Bell Musk , Egyptian Musk oil and CdG Avignon to create a potent, spicy animalic whole which sounds glorious.

From reading Chandler Burr's book, "A Perfect Scent", it's apparent that good old SJP actually does give a damn about the perfumes she creates and had long-term plans to create something that was darker, edgier and not at all like Lovely (though I believe that Lovely is a modern masterpiece and my generation's White Linen). I can't wait to smell it when she does and hoped this was my chance.

Then I spritzed. Sniffed - hmm, kind of weak, meh. Bit watery, rather like Covet in its lack of anything. And then, poof, it disappeared. Topnotes to zero within a minute. I walked away from the counter very disappointed. Repeated sniffing over the next 10 minutes gave no joy - it had gone completely.

An hour later I was browsing in a bookshop. Lifting my hand to brush hair from my face, I caught a waft of something musky and rather fabulous - Twilight was back and this time it was mucky. Musk and woods and perhaps a tiny smidge of spicy/incense but I struggled to catch it. I swear there was some patchouli in there and the musks are definitely not the laundry-fresh variety! I'm going to buy a bottle, because while the topnotes are non existent this is a great dirty musk base and I can see me layering it a lot.

Vasily's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess. - Edna Woolman Chase

SirSlarty's avatar

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

Well, I liked the start; a bitter fruitiness with a fresh cut flower pop. After that it becomes a rather dull accord of freesia and sandalwood. I prefer the crisp kind of white floral instead of a lazy one.

SirSlarty's avatar

Stetson Untamed by Stetson

I think the name is a misnomer, which is common I suppose in fragrances. This is more like the original Stetson tamed/calmed down a bit. The original is a bold floriental while this is a calm oriental with more vanilla and woodsy notes. It's light enough for the summer however it feels rather synthetic and more like a cheap cologne instead of a quality fragrance.

Tony T's avatar

Pal Zileri Classic by Pal Zileri

the perfect alternative to cool water,adg etc... very chic. distinctive without really trying. if it were by calvin klein it would be a top seller year in and year out.

soirdelune's avatar

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

There's a lot to love in this, but I'm afraid it just doesn't do it for me. Douro is, in fact, a rather 'heavy', robust cologne; it's so much more than just its lively hesperidic topnotes. I find the 'shaving cream' middle pretty difficult to pull off, though the fresh lavender and basil notes are undoubtedly lovely ...

I'm reluctant to admit that this is a masculine that I seem unable to wear. It's a truly refreshing scented experience on a hot, humid day, but the drydown, in particular, smells fusty on my skin. Over to you, gentlemen ...

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

The Party in Manhattan by The Party

What a fabulous retro scent.
    It is glaringly obvious that this smells like vintage Mitsouko - it's the oakmoss.
    Gorgeous chypre ,well made, well balanced ,tenacious, glamorous ,sexy .
    However, saying all that, if I have a hankering for vintage Mitsouko and that divine bergamot, peach and oakmoss combo - I will seek out vintage Mitsouko extrait first and then The Party In Manhattan .
    Though I am grateful that there exists a scent that is a dupe for old Mitsouko.
    I love this stuff because it's a quality retro style chypre that's so hard to come by these days in this 'post oakmoss chypre era' and becasue it smells like Mitsouko.

Lisle's avatar

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

This reminds me of a toothpaste in the bottom of an ashtray which may not sound that appealing but it's just the image I get. It's not flowery but it is warm. I don't get any vanilla but most of my perfumes have vanilla in them maybe it's masquerading as ash? Who knows, I love it anyway.

Agree with other reviewers, it doesn't change that much over time.

masj78's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I had a bottle of this back in the early 90's. It is very sweet,spicey, florally and expensive and refined smelling. It was a very in fragrance at the time back then to wear as a young man, as it is slightly feminine and sweet and attracts young ladies with it smelling as it does. However now being older and more sufisticated I have switched to more masculine woody,spicy,leathery type fragrances, so I don't think this and anything like it would be on my bathroom shelf now.

masj78's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I decided to revisit old spice recently and was presently suprised how refreshing and pleasant it is compared to what I remember. I used to have the deo spray in the late eighties before the reformulation. I remember it being quite strong and much more florally,spicy and vanillary. It did not attract complements from the ladies from what I remember, as it was seen as old fashioned and what your dad wore amongst rebellious teenagers. It was so strong people could tell instantly what you were wearing if you had old spice on. The latest incarnation is much more acceptable than it was and if applied in moderation passes with complements. It is so much more individual and unusual to peoples noses now, who have become used to the weak and copy after copy efforts of fragrances being churned out these days.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Mariah Carey Forever by Mariah Carey

A nice fresh floral musk with acceptable longevity (about 6 hours -oily skin type). I plan on purchasing a bottle .Forever seems to wear longer than Lucious Pink (a very quick fade) and equal to M. Affordable and nice if you shop the discounters it ranks as a like not a LOVE-IT-WILL-PAY-FULL-PRICE.

BayKAT's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Angélique Lilas by Guerlain

This is what I was expecting En Passant to be. But where En Passant falters, this soars. Here we get angelica instead of rice, and bravo!

Angelica is a strange, heady green note. When I hear 'green' I picture a sparkling glass of French champaigne; but angelica goes down like a thick English ale. This is hte first time I find my self liking this note; it didn't work for me in the much more expensive Angelique Noir.

This is a light, charming scent. Because it lays off the vetiver and musk it doesn't go the way of a stale plate of cheese on me. Guerlain, in their brilliance, give you Heliotrope and Cedar instead.

This is a fragrance you'll just want to roll in.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

First and foremost, everything you see in that pyramid is sniffable here. So don't expect any surprises or twists and turns. It is what it is, and it's very good at what it does.

As with every Hermes fragrance I've tried, Eau d'Orange Verte smells just as natural, pure, and like a part of mother nature. The opening actually reminds me of Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris. Lemon and mandarin are highly noticeable in the opening, projection isn't that much in the beginning which was the only surprise. I noticed I sometimes have a problem telling the difference between orange blossom and mango, but thanks to the notes here in front of me, I can confirm that I'm smelling mango. I don't get the papaya until after the mango which is cool; they don't stay together.. rather separate into their own -- sort of. Finally the base.. two notes that I don't particularly care for, but they are done excellently in this one. Everything just fades together beautifully which makes for a fantastic fragrance. This one I'd recommend for summer for sure. Released in 79 yet still modern; good job Hermes!

SirScent's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Okay. I give up. What is this stuff? It changes by the minute. Strong top notes of chemicals and salt. Thank Heaven they disappear! Next a rubbery smelling concoction that too disappears. (glad that's gone!) Finally, I smell the Sea! Okay, I get it. But in all my years I have never experienced such a strange journey from one spray. I look at this fragrance as an experiment. And I imagine it can work well on some and be a disaster on others-just like the reviews here. I have to give a thumbs up due to the strange and crazy nature of this scent. Only because after surviving the first hour it ended up being kind of nice. But you are cautioned before you take this Sea Journey-it's either red skies at Night-sailor's delight...or...red skies at Morning-sailor's warning!

SirScent's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Call me old fashioned. There is still nothing like the Original Polo. Instantly recognizable. As long as it is not over applied by the wearer, Polo remains a classic. It is rich and balsamy. IMO best for more dress occassion-not casual but will always be what it is. A Very Special fragrance. All the other of Ralph's Polos that came after just don't have the classic blend of the original. I love it.

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Eau de Galliano by John Galliano

You feel it harsh on first apply ,citruces notes come fist ,i feel bergamot note very deeply and then gets more strenght...rose petals and violets...powdery and strong, velvet touch but with a srong depth by patchouli note...deep , mysterious and sensual... a powerful woman who uses her strenghth to achieve her goals...
    Her look reflects an uncovered passion...She likes tango dancing with her partner for life ...She is so unique !

EauDeToilette's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

If you want to stink buy this one.