Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Francois Blais's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

It took me two hours to figure out what other scent I know it was similar too: Lagerfeld Man. (discontinued)
    Lagerfeld is just more floral while The Beat is more peppery.
    But scents are nice, but I prefer The Beat.
    Soft and subtle, so good for the office when something smooth is desirable.

08 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

dimplesg's avatar

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

When I first tried this scent i liked it so much that I had to run back to the shop to buy it. After purchasing it and now having it for over a year I've hardly used it. Don't get me wrong it is a nice scent but I don't know why I don't reach for it very often. Maybe its because it a quite heavy scent. I can't quite imagine a male wearing this scent, I think its too sweet. I'm giving it the thumbs up though because I do actually like it in a strange kinda way.

09 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2010)

Asha's avatar

Fleurs des Comores by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

L'Artisan Vanilia and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Fleur de Comores Comparison Review

Vanilia Notes: ylang ylang, vanilla bean, amber and sandalwood (from www.nstperfume.com, NowSmellThis)
    Fleur de Comores Notes: blackcurrant, passionfruit, leafy green, vanilla, orange blossom, jasmine, ambegris, vetiver, musk (from luckyscent.com)

I have been wanting to compare L'Artisan Vanilia and MPG Fleur de Comores ever since I read in the guide that they were both composed by the same perfumer (Laporte), FdC being a sort of "Vanilia II" which was created after Laporte left L'Artisan.

Vanilia starts sweet, woody and balsamic. As the top notes burn off, a hint of incense lends a smoky metallic tang and the fragrance becomes increasingly powdery. Vanilia stays in this stage for quite a long time, its subtlety keeping it from becoming cloying despite being linear. The drydown is a pretty vanilla-prominent amber with a little tonka bite and smoky woods.

Fleur de Comores' opening notes are massively boozy, with fermented overripe passionfruit (which seems to be a blend of apricot and cherry not unlike "Hawaiin Punch" fruit drink) and sharp, almost urinous blackcurrant bud. FdC develops more slowly than Vanilia, but eventually starts to turn more powdery as well, with indolic florals coming forward as the fruity top accord fades. The florals eventually settle on a base of woody, smoky green (vetiver).

Overall, I find FdC to be slightly more sophisticated and complex, and I find Vanilia more charming and easy to wear. In my book, this is one contest where simplicity wins--Vanilia is one of those fragrances that is so pleasant that it is adaptable to many occasions and age groups.

I suppose I can understand a kinship between these two. Both are what I would classify as relaxing, unpretentious fragrances evocative of summer holidays. However, looking at the bigger picture, if I were to name a successor to Vanilia, it would probably be L'Artisan Havana Vanille which takes the same idea more towards woods, resins and raisiny tobacco. Regardless, both Vanilia and FdC are worthy of sampling.

Asha's avatar

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bigsly's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I get way too much fruitiness in this fragrance, and would not consider it "unisex" if I were the one to make the decision. I don't get much in the way of leather, or really anything else. Perhaps it's a "skin chemistry" issue. In any case, I don't really find anything interesting, unique, or pleasant about it. I'd rather wear Cinema, actually, because I find that to be pleasant, and not quite as "feminine." Some have compared DB to Histoire d'Eau, but I like Hd'E much better, and I don't think there is much of a reason to compare them. Hd'E has better note articulation and I'd call that one unisex. The drydown is more vanillic, less fruity, and you can detect some suede or soft leathery quality. DB is natural enough, but linear on me. Projection/sillage and longevity are very good.

bbBD's avatar

Alliage by Estée Lauder

Sourcing a top-quality perfume classic doesn't always require tons of dough or spending weeks hunting down a rare vintage - sometimes it just means a trip over to the mall and a $30 outlay. Alliage is a simple but remarkably solidly constructed green/floral chypre. The green notes are photorealistic, the jasmine/galbanum provide a bitter counterpoint to the sweet peachy topnote, and the whole shebang is wrapped up by a wonderfully rich oakmoss that presents itself upon application and gives this perfume a fuzzy olfactory texture.

Alliage is still easy to find at most Lauder counters at most malls. Today's formula is a bit toned down, with a brighter peach note and a less encompassing oakmoss note (presumably they are using low-atranol oakmoss or a substitute). Also, the vintage formula has a 'true' middle stage of development featuring a sweet rose note that fades into the oakmoss base that the modern version seems to lack. Still, even with the superiority of the vintage Alliage the currently available formula is far superior to 98% of what's available at your typical Macy's.

Collectors should absolutely keep a bottle of Alliage around as the standard green chypre against which all others are compared. Thumbs way up.

Daydreams by Maybelline

I purchased a small bottle of this last year at cosmetics werehouse for $3. The bottle was really cute and retro looking, like something a teen from the 70s would have on her dresser. I think that Maybelline should consider producing this again, although I'll confess that I used to wear it mixed with Egyptian musk oil. The combo was very nice,unique and easily rivals some of the top of the line stuff out there (like Creed). On it's own it's a stand out but doesn't overpower. Nicely done.

Fresh White Musk Fantasy by Body Fantasies

Don't get the body spray version of this. It smells like an ashtray. If you get the spray mist (the one in the regular plastic bottle) it smells just like Body Shop's White Musk, and I'm not a great fan of that one either. If I had to choose between the 2 Body Shop wins. Body Fantasies has other fantastic scents; in my opinion, this just isn't one of them.

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Like burnt sugar with some lemon drops and an overripe raspberry. Individually I like those scents but mashed together? That's what Falling in love smells like. But for my own sake I hope not.

Sambac by Ajne

I have never smelled pikake before, so I sampled this out of sheer curiosity. When I first applied it reminded me of A&D ointment a bit. Somewhere in the middle I got of whiff of hemp. As the scent develops on my skin it is beautiful, slightly tropical, fresh and balmy-herbal. Very different from anything else out there I think.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

This is for vintage Bellodgia parfum .
    Tenacity is typical of Caron - in particular ,vintage Caron - a couple of dabs here and there,blooms magnificently, literally lasts for hours and the extreme drydown , lasts overnight.** For me and my scent eating skin - this is quite amazing.

Opens up slightly dark and musty , alittle off putting to be truthful but over about half an hour ,it blooms into a dignified ,deeply floral carnationy scent ,rounded warm ,evoking older times ,in the world. A little rose powdery, a little spicey , vanilla all play each other off gracefully for hours and hours. The vanilla is there too ,doing it's peek a boo thing on me. It's a delight. Bellodgia is never overpowering- it 's more of an aura of floral goodness- like you are just surrounded by waves of 'good taste' !

Like true perfume ,this scent goes through so many stages before getting to the grande finale , I am quite amazed. The drydown is so different ! I get incense notes,muskiness, some wood going on ! Dark, mysterious , kind of femme fatale. So what began as a innocent girl turned dangerous femme fatale at the end.
    I have yet to try the new version of parfum but I am sure I will like it - it's Caron and I'm loyal !
    This little bottle of vintage is a treasure and I will probably end up keeping it for my son's wife when he grows up so the future generation will know what 'real' perfume should be like.
    It's sheer poetry.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

SJP NYC by Sarah Jessica Parker

Extremely sweet, quite tenacious, and it will no doubt sell well. I actually dislike the bottle design and colours greatly - it's very 'gaudy' !
    Inoffensive, 'safe' release for SJP ! :)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Adidas Victory League 2006 by Adidas

Boss Bottled rip off, but a pleasant one. Discontinued? Hmmm, widely available in super markets, at least in Croatia. Not that I'd bother to own it, but I have to admit it is appealing.

Today by Avon

A very appealing orange blossom fragrance, in my book- suitable for day or evening, any kind of weather- a real winner for Avon!

Versace by Versace

I just smelled this for the first time a few weeks ago and my first thought was "mmmm...grapes!" On checking the notes, I was amused at seeing that wisteria is listed as one of the top notes- I had always thought that wisteria smelled like grapes, but wondered if it was attributed to visually associating grapes with the purple dangling clusters on the wisteria bush- now I'm thinking there is more to it than that!

This is a very enjoyable fragrance that I can imagine wearing for any occasion, in any season...

Rouge by Christian Lacroix

Very nice fragrance- I love the warm citrus opening, as well as its floral development- and I thought I didn't like peony fragrances! This one proves me wrong...

Absynthe by Christian Lacroix

Absynthe is an intriguing fragrance... a paradox of warm and shimmery cool notes.

The top notes are decided unisex in nature- sharp, green, and citrusy- but it develops into a very warm and woody floral- and I agree with Nebraska, the longevity is quite good.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Hugo Pure Purple by Hugo Boss

The opening top notes were so-so perhaps a bit like a synthetic candy for a minute or two then it seems to shift to a nice creamy vanilla(I assume this would be the marzipan). I liked it and will have to get a bottle .

shoegal68's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

ange ou demon tendre what can I say I'm definately in love with this fragrance, the citrus, the vanilla just lovely

tuisquash's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Shalimar by Guerlain

I don't have a holly grail scent, but my wife found it, she doesn't want to try other scents after shalimar.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Alien by Thierry Mugler

An acquired taste but one it has been acquired, My GOD !!! It becomes ever so addictive and uplifting.

This is one evening scent for jasmine lovers who enjoy mistery and adventure and wear it on that special time of the year when the opportunity arises...are we talking vampires???; well done to the 2 perfumers who created this masterpiece.

actiasluna's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

I loved Emeraude when I was a kid... and wore it as a teen, probably in its least expensive form. When I received a bottle of vintage Emeraude PDT (which is the parfum version I understand) recently, and a good-sized bottle at that, I suddenly remembered why I loved the scent. (not that I ever really forgot.) The warm lushness of the scent, the way it lasts and lasts and lasts... this is nostalgic comfort for me.

I do see the similarities with Shalimar, and find this smoothly warm in similar ways as well... I agree it isn't as deep as Shalimar, but then again, if I have a day when I need the Emeraude magic, what I'm going to be recalling is my formative years as a young woman, a little lightness and innocence where with Shalimar it's a bit more... mature and sexual. (to me, anyway.)

BayKAT's avatar

George Sand by Les Parfums Historiques

V.S. Pritchett called George Sand a 'thinking bosom that overpowered her young lovers.' With that in mind, I spritzed her namesake on my own bosom and went about my day looking for young, impressionable men. (none were to be found)

The notes here should be unsurprising. I read that Sandalwood is similar to the human pheromone alpha androsterone, and is considered an aphrodisiac. The same for Patchouli, which is used as an anointing oil in Tantric sexual rituals. Bergamot is second to lavendar in its ability to relax brain waves, and rose also acts to calm nervous tension.

Whew. With all that going on, just what sort of life did this woman lead? Who cares. I like the scent. I can't give an unbiased review because these are my favorites notes, and here they are mixed scandalously well.

It does open with the middle act, or, I don't detect a citrus opening. You can tell its there, though, because the heavy woody base has an edgy, sharp spin to it. This is going on my bosom's 'consider buying' list (and why not?)

Le Grand Duc's avatar

Denmark Denmark

No. 5 by Chanel

What can I say?! N°5 is, and will always be, THE classic.
    I own the 80s Eau de Parfum, which fits my bombastic
    personality best ... God Bless the House of Chanel!

lauraschoice's avatar

Wonderful by American Beauty

I picked up this fragrance at Kohl's (the American Beauty line is sold only there) and was happily surprised by it. This floral goes on a little sharp but settles into a lovely scent that lasts quite a while. A good choice for daytime.

09 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2010)

Persolaise's avatar

Idylle by Guerlain

When Idylle hit the shelves late in 2009, the response from Guerlain acolytes was muted. The realm of the soft-focus floral was, they felt, best reserved for flash-in-the-pan celebrity fragrances, not for one of the most revered perfume houses of all time. But Idylle isn't necessarily the sell-out some have claimed it to be and it deserves a second spray.

With astonishing diffusiveness, the scent plunges you headlong into the middle of a lush flower garden, where you can barely catch your breath long enough to take in the indolic notes that surround you. Jasmine, geranium, lily of the valley, ylang ylang. They all waft into view, managing to be both fresh and intoxicating, after which the real start emerges: a rounded rose, white and enticing, balanced by the faintest suggestion of delicate, petitgrain-like woods in the background. But it's at this point that Idylle almost collapses: the floral overload threatens to become headache-inducing; the heart yearns for a touch of something intriguing. Paradoxically, this is also the very moment when Thierry Wasser's effort demands a little more patience from our noses than most modern scents dare.

It stands to reason that an idyllic garden is a place where time is frozen. Sure enough, if you wait a tiny bit longer, the almost garish middle section of this scent finally softens and, more importantly, becomes drier. Guerlain have stated that Idylle displays a "chypre sensuality" - notice they haven't claimed it's an outright chypre - and you can feel the evidence in the drydown. Although the basic territory is still floral, the closing act - which seemingly lasts for ever - is arid and musky in a manner that may not exactly be elegant but is eminently wearable.

Although it's suitably multi-dimensional, Idylle is no masterpiece. It does not display the refinement or innovation of Guerlain's classics. But if you want to exploit its potential, treat it as a masculine. If Gaultier can pull it off with Fleur Du Male - and if trendy European guys can douse themselves with Anais Anais - there's no reason why Idylle can't have the same impact.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2010: The newly released eau de toilette is sold as a softer, "more feminine" version of the edp, and in a sense, this isn't far from the truth. The floral bouquet and the citrus undertone are, indeed, granted greater prominence, but they're my least favourite aspects of the scent anyway. I prefer the ambery-mossy conclusion, which is distinctly suppressed in the edt, creating an effect that I find 'girly' rather than feminine.

09 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 October, 2010)

Limony's avatar

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Pistachio kulfi on the strip - can't wait to try it on skin!

Kalindi's avatar

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

Fleur de Nuit is indeed misnamed, hardly the moonlit Indian garden scent of its press hype -- but the lush, tropical warmth it filled me with in the middle of winter, plus the stunning beauty of the bottle, were enough to sway me last January. It's a lovely sheer floral, simple, elegant, classy and far less ballsy than the original Badgley Mischka scent (which I love). Still, now and then FdN just hits the spot. I agree with an_oud_girl's review that the scent should be lavishly applied; for a summer garden party it imparts a beach mood. Quite lovely, but not earth shattering in any way. (The bottle, on the other hand, is the most fabulous one I own!)

MatthewPK's avatar

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

A fresh, clean (rose/bergamot) fragrance with a certain ambergris/musk soapiness. Very pretty (feminine), with a European flavor and mystique.

MatthewPK's avatar

Spring Flower by Creed

A lighter, fresh floral that lasts throughout. Like walking through a flower garden that doesn't have too many roses. Initially there's some citrus fruit, mainly mandarin/orange and grapefruit to me, and perhaps bergamot. Not too sweet, not too tart, just right. I'm not really getting berry, melon, apple, or peach; nor am I getting mint/aquatics; and that's just fine. They may well be in the mix, they're just not figuring prominently for me. Not soapy or powdery, either. Primarily floral, and a very nice, well-balanced one at that.