Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

2000 Fleurs by Creed

A "heavy" floral scent (go figure), as opposed to something lighter such as Spring Flower. Has, or creates the effect of, that "sticky-sweet lacquer/shellac/varnish/solvent" note that I mentioned with Tabarome Millesime but haven't quite figured out yet. Pleasant, and it lightens up a bit over time, just not my cup of tea.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I'm sorry. Much as I wanted it to, this one just doesn't do a whole lot for me. There's an underlying sticky sweetness that hangs around and reminds me of a laquer/shellac/varnish/solvent aroma that I just can't quite place - pleasant as it wears on, just not exciting. And on me, it starts out fairly weak and doesn't last very long. It's OK, but just goes to show how fragrances can be different on people.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

Wow. This stuff is not subtle. Potent. And - on me, anyway - long-lasting. Seductive in a feminine rather than masculine way, in my opinion. And aggressive. (Be still my heart, now!)

I don't really detect so much the bergamot. The sweetness of the mandarin/orange is balanced away by the grapefruit and the white floral, which strikes me as including rose/rose geranium.

Me likey, in that it makes a statement, however that statement may be interpreted. And that's the whole point, isn't it?

Himalaya by Creed

A little ozone-like initially and for a little while. Then a musky, not-so-sweet taffy-and-bubblegum (and tobacco?) distant memory from my childhood past. A playfully masculine scent, though not earth-shattering. (Sorry about all the hyphens.) Appealing but not alluring.

CLS's avatar
    CLS

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Not your usual sickly sweet perfume!

I am usually attracted to fresh green scents and have found that most sweet scents just sit on my skin and smell gooey sweet or very strong. When a clerk at a store sprayed Flowerbomb for someone else while I was walking away from the perfume, it smelled so wonderful that I turned around & walked back to find out what it was. When she handed me the bottle I was so disappointed because it was so sweet--and explained that while I liked it, it would NEVER work on me. Still, she slipped a sample in my bag. I wish I knew what her name was so that I could thank her! I tried it a few weeks later and it didn't get sappy & sickly sweet like many other sweet fragrances do on me--just a nice soft scent. I disagree that it smells like cotton candy or that it is sugary sweet--but keep in mind that I usually can't wear any sweet scents, so it clearly is mixing differently with my chemistry than it does with the usual person.

I just love this scent--which surprises me--it is the freshest "sweet" smell I have found!

If you would like to try a sweet scent but have difficulty with excessive sweetness, give this one a try--it might just work for you!

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Adidas Fresh Impact Limited Edition by Adidas

Own this one, got it as a gift, it just ˝sits˝ there on a shelf in my bathroom, unused.
    Very fresh, sort of reminds me of Bvlgari Aqua Marine, but more fruity, yet milder and surprisingly less synthetic.

09 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2010)

30 Roses's avatar
    30 Roses

Clean Lather by Clean

Pleasant smell of pink Dove soap. I rather liked it.

Edited on 9/10/12:

Due to a discussion thread, today I bought a bar of pink Dove and another of white Dove and actually compared them side by side with Clean Lather.

Pink Dove is fruitier than I remember it-- I don't know if the formula has been tweaked over the years or if my scent memory is off. Clean Lather is closer to the scent of white Dove, but not a perfect match. To my nose, white Dove bar is a bit grassier while Clean Lather is a bit more floral, but they are still quite close.

09 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

Gold Woman by Amouage

At last an Amouage I can love. In a distant way it reminds me of my heretofore favorite Amouage – Silver Crystal for Men (unfortunately discontinued), but it’s much warmer and even more sensuous. Amouage Gold features a rich, complex, and refined exoticness, an ostentatious elegance that is the very definition of luxury. It is a fragrance of intense substance, rich in indolic jasmine, sensuous rose, ancient resins, lascivious civet, and elegant woods, and it handles these aromatic divas with incredible finesse and control – none of them throws a tantrum, although some, like the civet, come close to presenting an overly histrionic display. The notes seem to luxuriate forever in their procession from the opening though the base. The drydown is the most elegant and sensuous notes eternalizing its classic formulation and its expansive reach. I don’t care for the other available Amouge fragrances, but this one is extraordinarily impressive and… perfect…

New West for Him by Aramis

It took me a long time to rise up to the neutral level of appreciation I have for Aramis New West for Him – I did not like it at all the first few tests of this blind buy. In the opening I get primarily a rather synthetic herbal accord augmented by aldehydes and a marine note. The main herbals I smell are lavender (herbal lavender rather than creamy floral lavender) and mint. I am not highly fond of either mint or lavender so it’s unlikely that I would ever give this fragrance a very high rating, but I will admit that the two notes are done well here and the accord is much better than I thought it would be. In the middle accord the subtle florals replace the marine notes and aldehydes and create a heart accord that is more enjoyable than the opening. There remains a lesser lavender note working with the conifer notes and florals. I enjoy the heart accord more than the opening – it’s very well done. From the base I get a hint of leather that smooths everything out beautifully. I get a little too much oakmoss in the drydown but basically the drydown is a subtle but rich multi-noted base that is quite different from the inherently casual sharpness of the top and middle levels. Besides its touch of marine note in the opening, New West is primarily an herbal / conifer fragrance to my nose. It is quite original. I enjoy its lightness and freshness, and it is not your run-of-the-mill aquatic or fresh scent. It has good longevity on my skin. I waver between a neutral and a thumbs up rating for this because on the one hand it’s a very good fragrance but on the other it has just too many notes that I don’t enjoy.

Special No. 127 by Floris

Great first half minute: Bergamot, orange, and petit grain. Then the lavender begins to grow and the opening loses a little of its appeal for me, but not to the extent where I think the lavender is overdone. The open breaks speed records in getting to the heart notes, and the supersonic movement to the heart accord brings on the geranium and, to a lesser extent, the rose note. The geranium turns out to be the dominant element of No. 127, and with it the ambiance of the fragrance goes back about two centuries. It is old-fashioned but kind of in a good way… especially if one is a fan of geranium, which I am not. As a fragrance from the past, Floris’s Special 127 is interesting, enlightening, and well done… but I’m not so sure that its role as a curiosity has very much value as a fragrance for my current use… I’m not very interested in it, but it is a quality, geranium-laden fragrance that’s well worth a testing. Sillage is powerful for a few minutes but lessens considerably and soon turns into a somewhat long lasting skin scent.

l'eau de parfum #1 (for you) / parfum trouvé by Miller et Bertaux

L’eau de parfume #1 reminds me of not one, but two of my favorite fragrances. It opens with a clean floral with light spices and hints of dried fruit, and this combination immediately hits me as a translucent version of Arabie… a delicate Arabie to be sure, but the fruity / spicy elements are there. The next fragrance I’m reminded of comes with the heart notes… Immediately upon the ebbing of the opening spicy florals there are hints of Shiseido Feminite du Bois… probably because of the spices and the cedar wood. But this fragrance is not a layering of Arabie and Feminite duBois… it is too sheer and light for that and the touch of incense makes it ethereal. #1 is beautifully subtle in the projection of its woody gourmand accords. The sillage is light, but this is not a skin scent – it wisps out traces of spice, cedar, chutney, and incense. Soft, gentle and feminine, #1 is yet another masterful, ingenious creation of Miller et Bertaux…

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

Brilliant opening! It’s a strong floral-herbal aromatic introduction that pretty much stays with the fragrance throughout its run – ameliorated only by a gradual lessening of its intensity. After forty-five minutes it reaches a beautiful intensity. The purple basil is a potent contributor to the audacity of the scent – it dominates to my nose, but it is not the thin aromatically screechy basil that appears in so many older masculine fragrances. It has strongly floral, citric, and possibly spicy substance supporting its basil selfdom. I like it very much as an aroma, but I don’t care to wear it in public for the first half hour. To my nose the basil dominates so much that I miss the florals – rose, magnolia, tuberose, lotus – as separately identifiable notes, but I accept that they are there providing a soft floral texture to the attractive basil accord. I also miss out on the cedar and I don’t get a strong aquatic note, but the hay extract note comes though beautifully: It lends a needed earthiness to the aromatic dominance of the fragrance. The drydown is discreetly excellent… a softly aromatic basil / floral accord presented with a recessive white musk. Rather strong sillage at first, lessening to a rather long-lasting near skin scent. An ingenious fragrance…

Olibanum by Profumum

In order not to be the spoiler in this praise-fest, I went to extraordinary lengths in testing Olibanum – eight times over a period of three weeks. I annihilated three samples as I tested it on filter paper, on clothes, in a brandy snifter, and on my skin – all the usual procedures. I still can’t find anything more than a pretty, unique, beautifully balanced and refined, and underwhelming incense fragrance. I may have selective anosmia to elements of this scent, but what I get from it is so light that it might as well be a skin scent. What do I actually smell? I get a very light incense (very nice… remarkably clean, but quite insubstantial). I get a very nice background resin (that comes through rather strongly in a brandy snifter). This resinous aura likely comes from a delicate myrrh – also very, very nice. Once or twice I thought I smelled a rustic smoky tobacco note underneath everything else – this was excellent but I’m not even sure I smelled it. I do get a definite orange blossom note but no sandalwood …and that’s all... These elements simply do not come across very strongly to me. In addition, Olibanum doesn’t last long – maybe forty-five minutes. I’m happy that others find this a good and fulfilling fragrance, and I encourage an incense seeker to test it out. But for me… I’ll pass.

Nuit de Cellophane by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Nuit de Cellophane opens with the smell of the Serge Lutens doing designer. This reminds me of a more subtle, slightly less synthetic version of some of the better, respected ‘90s designer fragrances for women. This is a textured fruity / white floral that is so toned down that it doesn’t seem to be a Serge lutens offering. It’s a pleasant scent – not very original or exciting. I find it performs pretty much as a skin scent except that it doesn’t seem to have the longevity of a typical skin scent. The soft white floral is more of a texture than an accord… it’s nice but it is too unexciting to be offered in such a linear presentation. I get just an echo of a drydown that is sweet and musky and fruity with a bit of wood supporting it. I certainly don’t get much out of Nuit de Cellophane: I can appreciate an attempt to make a sheer, translucent fragrance, but this one is more “thin” than “sheer”… more “spiritless” than “gentle.”

Perla by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

With Perla, vanilla is king… or queen as the case may be. Its vanilla dominates the fragrance as much as vanilla dominates in Givenchy Pi. This form of vanilla is neither the burnt nor the wood version of – this is straightforward and refined, but it is not really a cloying version of vanilla. Besides the vanilla, I can determine a definite amber note, but that’s all the divergence I can find from the pyramid-listed lemon and osmanthus, I can only take their word on it. Those notes are probably there but I can’t separate them out from under the dominant vanilla and the diminutive amber. Linear, moderate sillage, and moderate longevity, Perla just doesn’t have enough to it to compete with all the good to excellent vanilla offerings available.

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

I like Black Orchid, and while I think it can be worn easily by a man or woman, Tom Ford Extreme keeps some of the intriguing qualities of Black Orchid while tailoring it into something a lot more masculine.

I really love TF Extreme. It's a very dark, spicy, leathery formal-ish scent-- a very seductive choice for an evening scent. I initially thought the longevity was poor, but it can be deceptive. I wore it out last night and halfway through today I took a bath-- oddly, after I towelled off I noticed the wonderful musky smell of TF Extreme had come back to life and radiate nicely off my chest. I'd thought it was long gone!

TF Extreme gives off a luxurious, dried fruits/spice vibe with just enough caramelized sweetness to balance the dry woody amber. I also agree with Mike P.'s assessment of it smelling like an expensive shoe store. I love the way the leather is done here-- a bit of shoe polish and the kind of patent leather that goes with a fine tuxedo-- I think the "tuxedo" feel is what Tom Ford was going for here.

For an important evening, you can't fail with Tom Ford Extreme.

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

Erolfa by Creed

So this is supposed to be the uber-aquatic Creed that puts Imperial and Silver Mountain Water to shame with its briney, swashbuckling goodness, a real seaman's scent, made with the sweat off Moby Dick's brow, as per Creed's marketing literature. Must be pretty awesome. I like "real" aquatics!

...but shiver me timbers!! It's topped with sweet fruit a la Imperial, except its sweet citrus instead of sweet melon, and hides the nice Creed ambergris base (yes, overdone, but still nice), with an overdose of ozone-ade. Is that why it has the briney reputation? Don't people recognize this by now!? Blah! Stay away from this generic froot-aquatic. The worst of the Millesimes, IMO.

mochi227's avatar
    mochi227

Palas Atena by Ayala Moriel

An understatedly gorgeous scent, Palas Atena's cinnamon note is what makes this perfume so intriguing and interesting. If I could compare this cinnamon note to anatomy, it is the psoas muscle, connecting heaven and earth (the upper body to the lower body). The cinnamon pulls the sweet top notes earthward while lifting the earthy patchouli, sandal and amber heavenward. Palas Atena constantly shifts between these realms...heaven and earth...with the cinnamon constantly adjusting to shifts in body chemistry (just as the psoas constantly adjusts to shifts in posture and locomotion). This is also a lasting scent of exceptionally high quality. A "natural perfumer" who makes everything in small batches using natural botanical essences, Ayala Moriel's skill (at crafting perfumes and sourcing ingredients) is on full display with this warm, rich, intriguing floral-oriental. I agree with Purplebird7 that this is almost a chypre: I believe it's the cinnamon that gives it that shimmering, shifting, mysterious quality.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

On my skin it is utterly elegant, so I don't feel it is a masc. only. Neither is it "flamboyant". I would describe the mood of the fragrance as serenely joyful. It conveys a sense of purity...yet is is not shallow. It is resinous, piney (or fir?). I think the frankincense is well judged. It blooms in the heat and warms in the cold. I think it is beautiful.

Robert Nice's avatar
    Robert Nice
    Netherlands Netherlands

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens' Encens et Lavande is a precious exercise in simplicity and serenity by Christopher Sheldrake on a lavender and incense themed eau de parfum. Buying one of Lutens' exclusive creations at Les Salons du Palais Royal is a pleasant and interesting experience in itself, and should be on every perfume aficionados to-do list whenever visiting Paris. Given the rather straightforward and simple theme of this perfume, it's the sheer craftsmanship en high quality ingredients that provide this composition with its flawless and delicate dynamism. The simple esthetic of Lutens' bell shaped bottle and its glass stopper add to the haute parfumerie feel and experience of this perfume. Encens et Lavande, that Lutens himself describes as transparent mystery, opens with a lovely warm impression of fresh blooming lavender; stems, leaves and flowers. It gradually moves from a herbaceous green top-, to a somewhat soapy lavender heart-, into a balsamic incense inspired base note. Encens et Lavande is all about softness and simplicity and thus whispers its very name to us. Hence this perfume is clearly focussing on inspiring its wearer with its introvert beauty, instead of impacting its environment with extravert brash. All in all Encens et Lavande makes for a serene, soothing and somewhat private perfume experience.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Hermèssence Vanille Galante by Hermès

The greatest flaw of Vanille Galante is its unfortunate name. When it was announced I eagerly awaited its release, my mind hoping for something along the lines of Ambre Narguille but vanilla-based and intended to compete with Guerlain's SDV. As we all now know, VG couldn't possibly be more different from this expectation, and it seems that many people initially shared my disappointment. I put my 15ml bottle away, to be explored later - and I reserved judgment until 'later'.

Make no mistake, this is a floral - and quite a pretty one at that. Ylang-ylang intertwines with lily in a delicate and ethereal manner, creating the feeling that a sheer veil of fragrance is on your skin. VG doesn't perfume your skin, it melds into it. There's no question that vanilla is dusted into the composition, and after about 2-3 hours the composition arrives at a slightly custard-ey vanilla base that lingers for another couple hours.

I have to wonder if Vanille Galante would have been better received had it been given a name that presented it as a floral. There's a lot in a name as it creates expectations - expectations that were apparently not met with this perfume. The sillage is particularly discrete. This is skin scent and when I wear it I cannot smell it on myself (a fact that will turn most people off from this scent), but longevity is respectable. If you're looking for a heavy vanilla you have many other options - avoid Vanille Galante. Thumbs up.

msleslie's avatar
    msleslie

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

This is what I wear when my co-workers are going to be away and I will be alone with the boss. It is fresh and crisp but absolutely uninviting or sexy - it gives just the right message! This is the only Jo Malone I really like or need.

fragranceseeker's avatar
    fragranceseeker

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Hmm..........I am not sure what to make of this. It seems that it is one of the (if not the) most popular male fragrances at this time, and I suppose I can see(or rather smell) why. Subtle it ain't. Perhaps (to some) overpowering. I guess it aspires to reflect the personality of JPG himself, 'cos he ain't subtle either! I do like it, and eventually I guess it will become as Kouros is: viz: everyone knows what you are wearing because it is unmistakable, so there is no mystery, and no one will ever ask you what your EDT is. It resembles Ghost Man(which I understand is now discontinued) but it is sweeter and perhaps less "cloying". Lasts forever..........

Lisle's avatar
    Lisle

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

Thank goodness I got this cheap on eBay. I love the original and I love the Delight version but this is nothing like either. Horrible. Starts off as fly spray and warms up to cheap washing up liquid. In fact, I have nicer washing up liquids.

Lisle's avatar
    Lisle

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

Anything less like the original Pleasures I can't imagine. Perhaps people with a more developed sense of smelling individual notes could educate me on the similarities but I just don't get it. To me the original is fresh and clean, this is pure raspberry cheesecake and caramel. It's gorgeous but easy to overdo. One spray and people in the office downstairs were wondering if I'd opened a cake shop. I can even smell this when I have a cold!

One of my all time favorites but having had a few bottles now, why on earth can't Lauder make a lid that stays on? Do they not test these things being thrown about in a bag? Or perhaps they assume one spray in the morning is enough and there is no need for it to leave the house?

LA2000's avatar
    LA2000

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

An un-fragrance. Nothing prettied up, no interpretive fragrance fiction about black. It is quite literal in its dark, smokey, tar-yness Once it settles, Black Tourmaline becomes the smell that would linger on your clothes after driving from your Malibu beach house to the studio on a scorching hot summer day in your new Porsche. Leather. High octane exhaust. Asphalt. All filtered through a premium air conditioning unit. Love it. The scent of alpha success.

My complaint: As striking as this is, you can't really wear Black Tourmaline as an "everyday" scent. The profile is too distinct. Unfortunately, this fragrance is only marketed in the "everyday scent" volume of 100ml. If I were to wear this every single weekend, it would take nearly 3 years to work through a bottle. And I am not wearing the same scent every weekend for 3 years. I would only consider ponying up the rich $2/ml price for a smaller, more reasonable quantity of 30 or 50ml. Any more than that would go to waste.

Marmelade's avatar
    Marmelade

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

Really like this one, and husband (yes, a perfume-hater) does, too. Starts out as startlingly realistic black dirt. Becomes a subtle, watery, rainy but somehow warm floral. Husband opines that it doesn't give him a headache, is somehow appetizing, and sexy. Haven't heard that last about a perfume from him hardly ever.

Marmelade's avatar
    Marmelade

Violet Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

To me, Violet Empire starts out as warm straw and hay, with no violet evident. Don't smell dill or mint, either. As the scent evolves, the violet peeps out, powdery, slightly sweet and moody without veering into morbid, coming and going. The straw and hay disappear. At this point, VE is lasting, though subtle (a very good thing, IMO) and equally pretty as but less pat than many other violets.

mjcr's avatar
    mjcr

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

Its only now, after a few months of owning Eau Sauvage Extreme, and on perhaps its 6th or 7th outing that I have finally understood this curiously difficult fragrance. After all, Eau Sauvage is immediately recognisable and so beautifully simple in its elegance that it defies logic that this Extreme version should be so hard to comprehend and indeed at times so hard to love.

It is most certainly its own fragrance that at first sniff seems to have little in common with its older sibling. Strong, sharp, pungeant, sour - just some of the immediate reactions that Eau Sauvage Extreme can induce upon introduction. Truth be told it does not smell good on paper. It does not even smell that terrific sprayed on the wrist. This is a very formal, refined, masculine scent that demands very careful application. One spray on the chest and one or two sprays on the collarbone will be absolutely plenty for most people. Spray this on your hand or wrist and shove it up to your nose and you will experience exactly what others reviewers here encountered and no-one would blame you in recoiling in shock. How could this possibily be related to the classic Eau Sauvage? Well it most certainly is. Yet it is far darker and broodier. Its confident and self-assured in a 80s way. Its not quite Wall Street/Gordon Gecko or City of London/Braces & bowler hats...but not far off.

Eau Sauvage Extreme smells very good from a distance once it has settled. It is one of those colognes that creates a very nice fragrant aura around the wearer as it reacts with body heat. The somewhat sour Lavender and sharpness of the Broom will never please some. It is not a superstrength version of the original. It is a variation on Eau Sauvage that goes off in a different direction while never entirely betraying its parentage it certainly marks out its own territory.

It's taken me some time to appreciate this fragrance and especially on how to wear it but now it has 'clicked' and fallen into place. I can't say that I will buy this again as it will take many years to get through this 100ml bottle. Eau Sauvage Extreme is being relaunched soon. It'll be very interesting to see if it is reformulated either into something new or as a longer lasting take on the original 1966 fragrance. If it is the latter then I know many people will be ecstatic myself included. But I will remember Extreme as being a hard to understand but ultimately classy addition to the Dior house.

kastehelmi's avatar
    kastehelmi

Cabotine by Grès

One of the worst fragrances I ever tried-tile cleaner from top to bottom-revolting. The bottle is very attractive, reaaaaalll pity! I am not sure if this could smell better on anyone, but I'm very curious about whether skin chemistry could make this fragrance any less toxic, maybe....