Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Horrible. I couldn't even force myself to buy it on super special.

I quite enjoyed the original when I was younger and I thought this one would be at least OK. It starts off smelling a bit like Paris (at least, I recognised it) but then it warps and twists and ends up smelling like Paris gone bad. Maybe that's all it is. Someone's daughter found some Paris that had been left in the sun for 20 years and said she loved it so someone made it for her for real?

I tend to like grapefruit, redcurrant and peach notes so I'm guessing that the rhubarb is what's annoying me. To my taste, it clashes horribly with the spicy rose making it smell like those cheap oil-burner scents. *shudder*
    The rose in particular ended up smelling quite synthetic on me and I felt that The Body Shop's Tea Rose is much better, even though that smells somewhat synthetic as well. I layer TBS's Tea Rose over Spellbound (18 years old and missing it's top notes) and that ends up a nicer, rose-y perfume than this mess. I think the problem is that all the notes clash in my nose. Whatever that fruit is, combined with the other notes it ends up smelling ... I wish I had a word other than 'bad'. Cheap? I had to scrub this.

Kudos to those who can enjoy it, of course.

The bottle is cute and deserves a mention. It made me want to try spinning it. My inner evil twin would have opened all the boxes on sale and spun as many as possible till an armed SA chased me out of the store. >:D

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne

If you have a spot in your collection for a sweet and fruity scent then I'd say this might be able to fill it - regardless of your gender. To my tastes this one is better than the female version, though that one is lovely in it's girly way it's just way too young for me (smells like a sugared bowl of berries). This male one is more complex and even though it gets a few "too synthetic" reviews, I find it quite smooth and pleasant and would buy it if I had a place for it.

The blood orange opening comes off more like tangy strawberries than actual orange and this strawberry does smell more wild than flavoured jelly. The tang calms down on me after about 30 mins with the vanilla and patchouli poking through from then on. The later dry down of just the vanilla and patchouli is quite a lovely blend and while I'm aware that many men like this kind of fragrance, it still smells distinctly feminine to me. The patchouli cuts the sweetness of the vanilla down nicely, just to dirty it up a bit and I believe it's that that makes it longer lasting than it's feminine counterpart. I'm not sure of it's sillage as the only time I've tested it has been in shopping centres where my olafactory judgment is rather impaired by the onslaught of shopping centre smells but the longevity is quite good. It hangs about for at least 8 hours but you have to get close to smell it.

I'm giving this a thumbs up because, even though I wont buy a full bottle, it's very pretty and I totally appreciate it.

The bottle is kinda cute with it's stapler-gun action.

10th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2010)

Couture Couture by Juicy Couture

I was shocked by this one as I expected a girly floral.

While aldehydes are not listed in the notes anywhere I have a feeling they are there. It's certainly fizzy, it smells like Shandy. To those of you who don't know what Shandy is, it's an alcoholic beverage that is half beer/lager and half lemonade (Sprite). This is a common underage drink in the UK and AU and Couture Couture smells so much like Shandy that I craved one after testing it. What more can I say? Are there such things as yeast, barley and hops notes?

This scent delighted me (probably not in the way intended) and my husband hates it. I love it as a novelty as it feels like a joke perfume to me. It certainly made me laugh!

The bottle is awesomeness.

10th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2010)

lauraschoice's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are by Exceptional

This scent made me think of that Woody Allen joke about the restaurant that serves terrible food in really large portions. Way too strong, nauseatingly sweet, it nevertheless lasts a really long time.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

I went blind on this one, I usually do well when making blind buys, but this one was just ok to me. Then again I've only been wearing it for 3 days, so maybe it's too early for a review.. but I just don't see myself liking this much more.

To me it opens up like apples & coconut, and actually smells like a uni frag. It's a very synthetic opening not nearly as delicious as the the apple opening in Nicole Miller. The apples in Carlos Santana quickly dry down and vanish within 10 minutes and it turns into a somewhat cloying and very powdery fragrance from there on out. As some others have said, longevity is 2-4 hours, but what's odd is that others can smell me still for hours to come, when I smell absolutely nothing. LITERALLY I smell nothing. The bottle is nice, but the cap is a b*tch to get off.. it's best to not close the cap to a snap, and just leave it staying on top and not actually snapped close.

Is Carlos Santana worth it? It's definitely not worth the retail price. I got a 3.4 oz for about 16 bucks and I'm a little disappointed at that price. I think it's a cheap fragrance, highly synthetic smelling and the biggest bottle isn't worth more than 12 bucks. 15-16 is a push, do not pay more than this.

Overall it isn't horrible, the dry down is a little better, my opinions may change, but as for now.. it's just an average cologne. This is not really a gourmand, more of a sweet oriental.

OctoberO's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Oh dear. All rotten lemons on me, I'm afraid - migraine-inducing ones. Such a shame that a Grand Dame as distinguished as Shalimar has rejected me...in fact, come to think of it this smells exactly like a Grand Dame's decaying fruit bowl - Miss Havisham's!

Grand Vizier's avatar

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Kenzo Flower, what an absolute heart stopper. If she were a woman I would be on one knee and forever in her debt. Im in love. The perfect powdered violet, rose scent that becomes muskier, sexier with time as she allows you to enter her little part of heaven.

As your introduced to Kenzo Flower you are struck with sweet black currant, rose and hawthorn and a huge violet note. The black currant doesn't stay for very long but the rose and violet develop down into the heart nicely. These notes are greeted with jasmine and the bittersweet Opoponax, which takes us seamlessly from heart to base. In the base we find vanilla and white musk the jasmine being replaced for hedione (Firmenich tradename, basically a jasmonate). The base melts so close to the skin its heart achingly beautiful. Im almost reduced to tears every time I allow this beauty to dry down into my heart. I wish for her never to leave from this state of grace.

Its soft, its powdery, its subtle only showing little nuances over a very long time. Being cautious not to give too much away too soon. Flower embodies modern femininity in my opinion and it has to be up there in my top 5 fragrances. Kenzo flower is one of my comfort blanket fragrances (along with JPG 2). She's a scent to be worn in hot summer days and cold winter mornings for me. This scent was created by Alberto Morillas who has created some of the best selling fragrances of the past 20 or so years and I have to say this is my favorite from his portfolio.

Utter Perfection in a bottle, makes life worth living.

Grand Vizier's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

I can always remember my first encounter with Antaeus. I was a young boy out on one of my regular scent shopping trips with my beloved Grandmother. Trailing behind her (in her slip stream of Chanel No. 5 extract) making our way through a large department stores fragrance hall en route to the Chanel counter. As we approached I can distinctly remember seeing the beautiful array of Chanel bottles awaiting my Grandmothers refined nose to grace over them finally giving them her verdict . As I watched her dabbing pure perfumes on her wrists, neck, collar bones and spraying Parfum onto a scarf. Closing my eyes allowing the vapours to finally waft in my dirsction. My peace being quickly shattered as I was summoned forth to be sprayed by a mysterious looking scent that was concealed in an ambiguous black bottle with bold white writing that I couldn't even spell out. “Hold out your wrists” and then, a huge mist of almost invisible particles exploded from the bottle enveloping me in a cloud of darkness. “There, now you smell like a god”

After finishing my first bottle almost a decade ago I never actually bought another one until a few weeks ago when I was on the hunt for a masculine, leathery scent. I was toying with Knize 10, 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoire de Parfums,Bulgari Black, Dior Homme, Jazz by YSL and I was even trying to track down a bottle of Aoud Leather by Montale that was until I remembered that little elegant black bottle concealing Jacques Polge's aromatic leather chypre masterpiece 'Antaeus'.

In quick succession I was slapped with the cutting qualities of Lemon, Lime and Bergamot. The aromatic, herbaceous qualities of Sage, coriander and myrtle flowing through the air. I was hooked again. As this handsome fellow began to develop I was struck by the rose note, a note that I couldn't remember smelling 10 years previously and this made me want it even more, rose and jasmin will always have a place in my heart. I like the almost fighting quality that Antaeus has, a sharp citrus top area having to share with equal parts aromatic notes, a floral heart having to share their beauty with herbaceous basil and thyme notes and a woody resinous base oozing over a deep musky castoreum note. This scent has one of the most even, slow moving dry downs which becomes very woody not unlike Penhaligons Douro. (a must try for your medicinal fragrance fixes)

The overall theme of this fragrance in my opinion is leather and it is one of the most perfectly balanced men's scents in the past 50 years. If you like Knize 10 but don't want to smell like you work in a tannery then try this tall dark and handsome scent and you too will smell like a god as my grandmother once put it.

Vetyver by Fragonard

The first time I tried this one,I pretty much disliked it, but I had a strong feeling that it would turn out to be the kind of fragrance I would enjoy. And learn to enjoy it, I did. Fragonard Vetyver is primarily a direct vetiver. I was at first tempted to call it raw, but it isnt raw it just doesnt have those gut wrenching vibrations that are the signature of the original Route du Vetiver and a few others. This vetiver fragrance is natural and somewhat strong initially It is a bit rustic and a lot masculine. It took me a while to get used to it, but once I was used to it, I love it. Vetyver is a masculine take on vetiver complete with definite woody elements of pine and cedar. It also features a lemon note that freshens it enough to give it a fresh / green ambiance. Fragonard Vetyver is classic, but it freshness keeps it in fashion.

10th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2011)

sniffy's avatar

Granium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

If you cannot stand smelling like everyone else, then this is the scent for you. It is unlike any other fragrance on the market and I have to have it. I don't even know if it would fit into any category - perhaps a masculine floral? The mint note is (finally) done well - it is subtle, unlike Cartier's roadster, which to me smells like toothpaste or chewing gum and turns incredibly harsh on my skin. Apparently, as other commenters have noted, the geranium note softens the mint.

Although it doesn't smell like it, it has the same quality as perhaps Fendi Uomo. A female friend used to tell me that I smelled like fresh bathwater whenever I wore it and she would sit near me inorder to smell me. This fragrance has a similar quality in that it has a fresh, jsut showered feel to it - like I just took a shower in the most elegant luxury hotel room in Milan. I have worn it twice now, from a sample I received, and cannot stop smelling myself. I have also received several compliments from others, including one woman who was absolutely taken by it to the point where she would not stop smelling my neck.

Finally, I seem to categorize all my fragrances into summer or winter fragrances, but I think this one defies such categorization. The minty fresh floral notes scream "summer scent" but the warm, musky drydown would work just as well on the coldest winter days. This is a winner and I am eager to try Ropion's other fragrances now.

ubuandibeme's avatar

D'Humeur Massacrante by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm mostly with Quarry on this one...I get pepper and vetiver. I do like it though! There is a 'tangy-ness' to this concoction as well ~ weird yet wonderful!

Zerby's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

My brother gave me his bottle back in '95 along w/ Balenciaga pour homme. I couldn't tell the 2 apart by smell. I will buy again. Go easy on the stuff or you'll clear the room.

Ojay's avatar

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Just bought this.
    I hit a personal "home run" with Pi. I couldn't stop getting compliments. My body chemistry just works so well with it.
    So, out shopping, I was tempted to re-stock Pi when I saw this.
    I call it a reboot of Pi. I love it! Hate the bottle but this is going to be a great Fall/Winter scent

Hritage by Guerlain

MysteryBuff40' comment is very funny: "Imagine a wealthy 90-year-old man propped up in bed and sprayed with this before he greets visitors." In the version I am sampling this is utterly utterly true. This is a Guerlinade of lemon and vanilla somehow put together without wit or care. It's strong. It has potential as a deep spicy powder, but it fails. It just is not attractive. I guess it is "formal", for the above mentioned gentleman. But I would wish him to make his own choice...rather than the nursing staff spraying THIS one on him.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

For the first few seconds I think, "oh pretty!" I do smell aromatic and green notes in an intriguing composition. Within a minute I think, "uh oh" and "common" an "soap-on-a-rope for men." Then it levels out to just green soap and makes me sneeze. If I concentrate I can almost pick out an effort at the hyacinth. However, this seems like one of those "clean" fragrances for people who don't like perfume. A big disappointment for me -- seriously? this is a Chanel perfume for women???

orangekone's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

very sweet~masculine

you can wear it day or night even summer's day

i love this one!

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Natori by Josie Natori

My initial impression is this is one thick, sweet perfume ! I don't get aldehydes . A lovely silky mish mash of strong florals and ripe plum though the plum doesn't seem to be fore front on me .A wee touch of powder ,lots of amber. This is very floral gourmand to me. Natori makes clothes and ladies' lingerie I believe . It's a plush perfume, soft, rounded ,tenacious and softens after the intiial blow out of sweetness.
    It's not unique enough for me to want a full bottle of but it's good juice.
    I probably love the bottle more than anything in regards to the whole packaging. Tactile, inviting.

fsimeja's avatar

Zambia Zambia

Blue for men by Rasasi

Great scent and lasting quite impresses

volley2's avatar

China China

Shalimar by Guerlain

I feel sad for people who say that this smells like an old lady. It just goes to show that they don't know how to appreciate the true art of perfumery. It is appalling that the new generation is just used to the modern perfumes where in they use synthetic ingredients as a result, it smells synthetic. Modern perfumes has lost the luster of the art of perfumery. They let the masses dictate what should be created. I am happy that Shalimar is in the world and was created years and years ago by the house of Guerlain who obviously knows the art very well and still is in the market today. This will stand as a testament/guide/memoir to the new generations to come of what the art of perfumery truly is. From the first sniff to the heart note down to the base note is stunning. This is clearly defined in Shalimar!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Remember 'Sweet Child O'Mine' by Guns n Roses? The distinctive opening riffs from lead guitarist Slash marks the beginning of one of rock's greatest anthems. FLEURS D'ORANGER opens similarly with an arresting interplay of notes between orange blossom, indolic jasmine and leathery tuberose. Unfortunately on my skin the anthem settles into a fragrance equivalent of pop music, with a more linear somewhat sweaty cumin-tinted floral musk. Still wearable but a bit of a let down.

's avatar

My Indian Childhood by D.S. & Durga

My Indian Childhood does not smell quite like I thought it would. Upon hearing the name, my mind immediately thought of Indian food and spices: Turmeric, Cardamom, Coriander, Cumin. This fragrance is about much more than spices, although they are there. What strikes me about D.S. and Durga fragrances is how incredibly well blended they are. I have no doubt that osmanthus, pandanus, patchouli and galbanum are all here, but I can't make them out individually. Their line of fragrances is less about 'smelling the notes' and more about 'invoking a feeling.' My Indian Childhood smells like the desert earth after it has rained, and then the sun comes out and heats everything up. While wearing this I can imagine myself walking down a dirt road in India, smelling the foods at the market, the incense, and the mixture of perfumes the other women are wearing. I LOVE IT. I wish I could describe the smell better than that, but I can't. It is unique, I haven't smelled anything like it. It wears very close to the skin, this should bother me because I am 'that woman' who oversprays because she wants everyone else to know how good she smells, but in the case of My Indian Childhood, it doesn't. This fragrance is like a well kept secret, I like that it stays close to me, I doubt others would appreciate it's brilliance anyway.

Kerosene's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Liked the opening until the sweetness decayed all of my teeth and I got a headache. If you dont like sweet fragrances, you wont like this one. Vanilla, dipped in sugar cane.

Kerosene's avatar

Classique X Collection by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a toned down version of the original. But it has a sharp, piercing note that almost hurts to smell, something floral that I can quite pick out. The original is better, especially in the drydown area.

MatthewPK's avatar

Millsime Imprial by Creed

I also get an impression of melon initially, though I don't think it's listed as an ingredient. There is a familiar underlying Creed note throughout. Overall, MI is pleasant but not inspiring, and on me it's weak and fades rapidly. I'd opt for one of their other fragrances.

ihughes123's avatar

England England

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

A beautiful fragrance - for about two minutes! All good things come to an end but why so soon? Due to the poor longevity if you have bought this rather thn wear it spray some on your pillow before you go to sleep. It lasts longer on fabric and ensures you get some enjoyment out of it. To wear you might as well spray youself with fresh water.

Areal shame as the opening is fantastic...

obscura's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

I received Slate as a gift a few years ago, and even though it isn't something I would have chosen for myself, I definitely enjoy it. Of the numerous metallic/silvery smelling men's scents I've tried, this is among the better ones. The top is citrusy and metallic without smelling sharp. The heart strikes me as being more floral than herbal (a little bit like a flower shop, with a melange of flowers and cut stems) and reminds me a bit of the dry down of BR Malachite. Every now and then I catch a whiff of ginger, but it isn't as prominent as I'd like. All in all, this is a pleasant, if a bit ordinary, fragrance that is nice for the daytime.

colormechris's avatar

Higher by Christian Dior

Let's face it. The French are the masters of perfume. Nine times out of ten, you pick up a bottle where the juice has impressed you enough to try to read that teeny-tiny printing and it says: Made In France. It's in their blood. Like pizza, French perfume seems to ascribe to the adage: "Even when it's bad, it's pretty good". Such is the case with Dior Higher. Clearly this is being pitched to a younger demographic with the high-tech package and the "fresh" juice within. And certainly better things have come out of France and the House of Dior (a whole bunch of true classics). Higher is never going to be placed on a pedastal next to say, Eau Sauvage or Diorissimo; and by Dior's standards it definitely falls on the lower end of their QC scale...
    But, all in all, it's not bad. A spicy/fresh no-nonsense affair that you can just squirt and go without having to think about it. Pear is not the first note you might think of wearing, but who doesn't like the smell of pears? Doesn't have the greatest projection or sillage. Seems this would do best in the Summer months. And you can just toss the decanter into a briefcase or whatever...it's all ready "travel style".

odysseusm's avatar

Pivione by Florascent

Peony, Sicilian lemon, rose, jasmine
    I think peony must be a difficult scent to replicate or evoke. Peony flowers have such a marvelous scent, like rose and lily of the valley. With the added notes of rose and jasmine, we should have a gorgeous floral here.
    What we do have is a lemony scent, which develops into a generic (and fairly green) floral scent. The scent is light, not too sweet, and somewhat translucent. I don't get any specific floral notes. As the scent develops, it shows a vague and somewhat metallic or even aquatic character. Given the disconnect between what it should be and what it is, I can't endorse it.
    This is in the Aqua Floralis line of Florascent.

odysseusm's avatar

Mimosa by Florascent

Mimosa, rose, violet leaves, tonka beans, rosewood
    This is a green, bright, spicy-cool floral. It is not sweet and not heavy. At times there are faint earthy notes, and at other times a slight herbal note that is a distant cousin to celery leaves. The rose note is subdued, but apparent - a combination of rose blossoms and rosewood. The rosewood also brings a restrained but pleasant woody note to the scent. Due to its green and translucent nature, this reminds me a bit of Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park. I like this, it is a very pleasant scent.
    This is in the Aqua Floralis line of Florascent.

Ambergris by Houbigant

I have a small sample from the TPC as I am fascinated by the note. It is described there as a "skin" scent. Initially it was medicinal and metallic and interesting. The opening softens in a few seconds. It remains a clean-smelling medicinal scent, but hovering just above are camphor notes and beach (I mean salt, wind, and driftwood NOT Pina Coladas) notes. It may sound delusional, but there is something like cinnamon in the mix....though this is not remotely spicy. This is unlike any other thing I have smelled. It does not wear like perfume. It is a veil on the skin. It reminds me of men. (I don't want to push it into a category of masc.) Very interesting.