Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Erolfa by Creed

I'll keep it brief -- absolutely hideous and very reedy with it. If you want to smell like the seaside get Fleurs des Sel by Miller Harris and learn how it should be done.

Eau Lente by Diptyque

I am not to keen on the overtly 'pot pourri' spices used here. I would rather use it as an expensive room spray.

PS. Diptyque have joined the vetiver bandwagon at last with their latest offering called Vetyverio (I think). It is laced with grapefruit and rose and smells lovely. Thumbs well up for this one.

Oyédo by Diptyque

Starts off with zingy lime and mandarin notes and you think 'ideal for summer'. Not quite. A strange unidentifiable sweet note appears which deadens and flattens the top notes out. I grew to love this accord though. Bold, compelling with a flash of genius.

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

I don't really want to smell like a carnation all day, especially one as sour and dusty as this. 'Piper Nigrum' is an acquired taste to say the least but has it's acolytes -- the rest of the range from this House confuse and disappoint me, apart from Dilmun which is a solid orange blossom. Garafano is plain nasty.

Stop Press.... 10 Corso Como have a new masculine out called very originally 'Uomo', which has ginger, mandarin, ylang and vanilla notes. It smells divine on the testcard for all of 2 minutes. The blurb for this uses the adjective 'airy' -- I would describe it as worryingly thin. It may act better on skin.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A lavender topped over woodsmoke -- thick, resinous and will last for days. A lavender creation I really love. I'll have to lie down now.

Costume National Homme by Costume National

A House full of contradictions as far as scents go. Two blatant rips and a startlingly original fragrance in 'Scent Intense'. This rips Ferragamo and the first Comme des Garcons in equal measure, but is better than both. The wonderful creamy peppercorn drydown lasts for ever and is to die for.

tlipping's avatar

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

Every once in a while you just click with a fragrance. Jaguar for Men and I hit it off! It's not that complex but has its interesting points. The middle note is a little powdery but dries out nicely. I used to like scents with a lot more going on, but as I get a little older, I enjoy understatedness. It's an excellent value to boot.

KrugerIndustrialSmoothing's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

My first and short review.

Just recently tested this and fell in love immediately. Although I first thought I would never buy it as it is hugely popular everywhere, I decided to take a risk and bought a full big bottle of this lemonjuice.

Personally I have never smelled this on anyone which can not be said about it's biggest rival, Acqua di Gio. Both being citrus scents I have to say I much more prefer D'Issey.

I have a rather dry skin so only negativity has to be that it could last longer on my skin.

If you wan't to smell fresh and have girls looking at you and can get over the idea that your date's ex propably used this with her too, it's a definitive thumbs up.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Sipario by Hilde Soliani Profumi

I couldn't help but smile as I took my first whiff - SIPARIO's tart, mildly sweet opening reminded me of a certain purple cellophane-wrapped pineapple candy I enjoyed as a kid. As it developed further I found a distinct note of freshly grated coconut overtaking a shortlived rum accord, the pineapple remaining discernible but firmly in the background.

I must say this is a fun, surprisingly wearable take on the pina colada with just about average sillage and longevity. But thumbs up for the execution.

Klont's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Reflection Man by Amouage

Very good scent. Really masculine and sweet at the same time.

Too bad it only lasts a few hours on me.
    And when you also take note on the price it gets a neutral score from me.

masj78's avatar

Fresh Wood by Boots

Very soapy, woody, mossy fragrance with a hint of spice. Not as sophisticated as Aramis and is lacking the clove element. Has poor longevity, but is quite a cheap pleasant splash on after a shave.

12th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2010)

masj78's avatar

Wood Spice by Marks and Spencer

A soapy,powdery, spicy,moss and woody blend, which is quite unique. Has been available in Marks and Spencer for years. Came across it when I got it for Christmas back in the early 1990's. Reminds me of early appreciation of fragrances for men and one I splash on occasionally for nostalgia.

12th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2010)

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Erolfa by Creed

Erolfa is a nice, refreshing, citrus scent yeah. However if you are willing to pay Creed prices, go with the Green Irish Tweed only. I think it is the only Creed that is worth paying that price.

BayKAT's avatar

Le Temps d'Une Fête by Nicolaï

This scent is so unabashadly green it could be used as the mascot for St. Patrick's day. Now I love Chamade, and have added it to my collection, but I will say i **like** this opening better. Unlike Chamade, which comes out of the bottle wiht a slap to your face, this slinks out of the bottle; like a cat with an oily grin on it's face.

And this kitty is sly. It rests langourously on its throne all day, a throne made of deep, rich woods. Idly the kitty peers into a pool framed by narcissus, and is greeted by a tart, seductive smile.

I set this one notch below Chamade, however, because of longevity and hte dry down. While the dry down is impressive for an EDT, it doesn't carry the green sparkle throughout. But for the first few hours, this is truly the cat's meow of green florals.

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

This cologne is next to impossible to buy now, even on ebay. I was fortunate to get mine before the well went dry. If you can still find a bottle, I would snag it. It is a unique scent that reminds me of a piney forest. It smells nothing like Polo or Aspen, so if you like foresty smell, this is a great one to own.

Altitude by Swiss Army

Another fine fragrance by Swiss Army. I really like the bottle for this one as well. Quite different from the original Swiss Army frag, so this is great to have if you already own Swiss Army. To my nose, it smells quite like Kenneth Cole Black. A nice outdoorsy type frag that smells quite good!

Rococo Homme by Joop!

I got a spray vial sample of this stuff awhile back. I actually got quite a few wearings out of it. I guess Joop! is good for creating powerful frags. I probably won't buy a bottle, but I'll miss this unique ambery wood concoction.

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

After my mini of Cool Water went dry, I went ahead and bought Cool Water Frozen. I think this one is pretty similar to the original. Too bad I can't do a side-by-side comparison.
    Anyway, I like this one a lot. Some may say it's too common, but in my neck of the woods, it's still a rare treat!

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I recently got a bottle of this stuff. It really is quite good! It's a very clean, inoffensive, vetiver frag that will smell great in spring and summer. The vetiver is well balanced here and doesn't have that really earthy smell to it that is common in some of the other vetiver frags.

lauraschoice's avatar

Perry Ellis by Perry Ellis

A little strong for me but a fair middle-of-the-road scent for daytime wear. The ingredient note list show some florals and fruits but I couldn't detect anything other than musk.

Philosykos by Diptyque

If you don't like the aroma that real fig leaves give out, then steer clear of this. This is probably the best fig scent on the market, but that's completely subjective. There may be an acquired liking for Diptyque; but it's definitely the most pure, most natural, and most basic fig fragrance around. If you don't know what fig leaves and figs smell like, you should start here, rather than finding some fig synthetic chemical concoction. As others have said.. you get the fig and the leaves from this. It's quite easy to differentiate the two -- figs smell somewhat sweet and fruity, while the leaves smell earthy or even dirty. They come together very smoothly along with the white cedar which smells much lighter than your typical cedar.

In most of the reviews, nobody except JaimieB really mentions the coconut smell. It's definitley very very light, but it's there indeed (more so in the middle and dry down). But it doesn't at all smell like what we think of as coconut, rather.. it smells like the endocarp (inner shell)

I wish some of the sweet fig notes from the opening lasted a littler longer.. it dries into of a fig leaf/ white cedar mix that's pretty linear throughout. Projection is pretty good in the first 2-4 hours; sillage is a little better. I only had a decant of this that I wore once (I did one big application with this) so I can't say 100% how the longevity is; but from the one time I wore it.. I got a good 5 hours.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

This should be labeled a woman's fragrance for sure. It smells like flowers and soap to me. I get absolutely no watermelon in the opening; which was the main reason I ordered a decant of this, because I wanted to see Diptyque's take on such a note. I can't see myself wearing this, but it doesn't smell awful.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Fantastic slightly sweet and dry sandalwood. Dry, but not to be confused with animalic -- sometimes dryness can smell animlic like in Dirty English.. (which I hate) This is much different. I also get a bit of rosewood in the middle. Tam Dao is a nice fairly linear fragrance that emphasizes on the sandalwood note, longevity is 8+ hours.

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Blue Seduction starts off very tangy with like a sour melon note.. yet from the beginning it has this mint that quickly works its way to the front. Once the mint takes over it incorporates the cappuccino note which actually isn't very sweet. It's like a minty cappuccino with hints of apple lingering. It's really nice once you figure out what it is that you're smelling. The mint is very noticeable and it isn't a sickening sweet mint; the way the mint is used actually makes it feel medicinal. Three hours in, it fades into a nice subtle woodsy base. Projection is a little above average throughout, as is sillage.. longevity has been 6+ hours everyday I've worn this for the past week.

It's very a soothing relaxing aquatic that stands out from many other aquatics. It did however take me a couple wearings to enjoy this, mostly because it smelled cheap and I couldn't figure out what was in there with the mint... it's clearly cappuccino though. The cappuccino note does seem to weave in and out of the fragrance, it comes and goes.

Overall we have a different take on your typical aquatic, but it's nothing really special. I get like a menthol back rub, rubber glove feeling from it.. then I also get a laying on the hammock on a nice spring day feeling. You definitely wanna try this before you buy, it does smell a little cheap.. similar structure to a DKNY or Lacoste frag. It's kind of like a mix of Cool Water Frozen and DKNY Be Delicious.

Is it worth it? The retail price on this is set lower because it's considered a drugstore fragrance. 1.7 oz retails for 30, and the 3.4 retails for 45. Is it worth these prices? If you're buying blind.. absolutely not, if you're already a fan.. no. It's a decent fragrance with a cheap feeling. I got a mini pack with this and Spirit -- both .5 oz for 7.99 @ Ross, to me that was a little overpriced. What I bought is worth about 5 bucks. But I took a risk because I figured they were mini's and it's not every day you find a less common mini pack. Spirit is a completely different fragrance of completely different structure, but Blue Seduction isn't worth more than 15-20 bucks for the bigger bottle. Ten bucks for the 1.7 is an ok deal as well.

Chrome by Azzaro

Fresh and clean. My 6 year old son loves this, and since I picked it up for $10.00 at TJ Maxx he is now the cleanest smelling Kindergartner at his school. Chrome's watery note is quite pronounced so If you like the fragrance, but the watery note is too strong try Chrome Sport.

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

This cologne makes me think of sitting on a veranda on a summers evening in the Texas Hill Country. Cicadas chirping, hot dry wind blowing through the cedars, scrub, and limestone canyon. Citrusy and Dry. I like it a lot.

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

This cologne reminds me of Black Jeans by Versace. Very dry and smoky to my nose. Not a heavy, wet smoke but a lighter persistent smokiness.

The note stayed the same throughout on my skin. Not much change.

Usher for Men by Usher

I'd love to be too refined to enjoy this cologne, but I"m not. It goes on a bit strong, but then dries down into something spicy, but with a touch of smooth/sweet. The silage is not great and neither is the longevity. I really wish I could find this cologne made with more quality ingredients. To me it's a great idea suitably executed with ingredients by the cheapest bidder.

It does smell like something for a younger man, but having said that I think the "younger" guys are are onto something. Seems to me that many of their colognes do an admirable job of combining a masculine cologne with something that a woman would actually like to get close to. As opposed to many of the niche designs, that are highly praised, and smell either stodgy or downright feminine.

cooby's avatar

Davidoff Adventure Amazonia by Davidoff

umhhhhhhhhhhh! Delicious, drying on my skin cream note is extremely addictive ...... but I would like to continue so forever ..... where are you? where are you ??..... what a shame that so little hard, maybe three hours max ...... what a shame .....
    anyway, thumbs up to Amazon, again, is incredibly addictive its note of sweet cream, sweet,
    is a must ..... if only for a sniffed!

babsbendix's avatar

Rochas Femme (original) by Rochas

When I first experienced Annick Goutal's fragrances at I. Magnin (RIP) in the late 80s, one of my favorites was her Parfum de Femme (also RIP, I believe). Osmanthus is the star of that fragrance, and perhaps Goutal was paying tribute to the original Femme, which doesn't have osmanthus as an actual note, though smells like it, nonetheless. I was fortunate to find a vintage bottle of Femme, and it's mellow and warm and boozy, just drop dead gorgeous. While I wouldn't confuse it with vintage Mitsouko overall, on me, the dry down is very similar. True love.