Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

babsbendix's avatar
    babsbendix

Eau de Lavande by Annick Goutal

I love this one. The lavender is neither astringent nor powdery, and the base gives it some lasting power. To me, the base smells just like Goutal's Sables, warm and spicy.

gayle's avatar
    gayle

Nearness by Avon

Oh my gosh...my Mom bought this for me all thru my high school years. Know I loved it then.

sabiwasabi's avatar
    sabiwasabi
    Belgium Belgium

Maitresse by Agent Provocateur

At first my mother used to were this lovely scent then i needed to buy it to!
    With my chemistry this smelled so oriental and sexy.
    This is really my favorite scent for romantic or pick me up perfume.
    I found the love of my life with this perfume now my husband and he still go's crazy about it everytime i wear it.
    Men really love this scent!
    But be carefull with applying just a little go's a long way...

deedee9's avatar
    deedee9

Hervé Léger by Hervé Léger

I bought this a few years back - I could not make my mind up at first - but I never smell anything similar - it is one of my favourites now - and yes for me its vanilla that stands out!

deedee9's avatar
    deedee9

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Love it - although it makes my husband sneeze!

babsbendix's avatar
    babsbendix

Mitsouko by Guerlain

For years, this fragrance was my all-time favorite, and I endlessly compared formulations and concentrations, and fretted about not being able to find vintage stock anymore. And you know? Recently I've found it to be a bit odd, austere, and melancholy, as if I'm smelling a dark undercurrent and some nuances that I couldn't perceive before. Or that didn't bother me before. I'd never question Mitsouko's greatness and singular beauty, I only find that I've reached an age where I don't want as much drama and history in my scent. When I was young, all I wanted was drama and history, yet life has offered me enough of all that on its own now, and I find that I'm drawn to the more straightforward, joyful sweetness of L'Instant! Call it a de-evolution, and a travesty to prefer a newer Guerlain, yet there it is - I choose sweetness and light.

12 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st January, 2012)

googlymoogly1's avatar
    googlymoogly1

Duro by Nasomatto

Don't disregard the notes about the strength and sillage of this cologne. It is powerful. I have very dry skin and I literally consume colognes. They're almost all gone within an hour, but this one stays around forever.

Whenever I try this I can't help but think of a Dr. Pepper that's been left out in the sun. It has a syrupy (cough, soda, etc.) that I can't get around. Then someone's come along and tried to toughen it up by giving it some spice. Other's keep referring to it as brutish, etc. It reminds me of the guy who is not the brute, but oh so wants to be.

12 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2012)

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

Yang by Jacques Fath

I like green scents, and I sort of like powdery scents. But green powder? Not so much. I don't know what it is - perhaps it just doesn't agree with my skin, but the smell makes me feel very uncomfortable. And it seems to be the main note in Yang.

I find Yang to be very similar in many respects to Cartier's Declaration, but I like that scent a lot more. They share a strong cardamom presence and both have a rather powdery finish to them. But where Yang verges green and dense, Declaration verges woody and sheer, and that makes all the difference.

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Prowl by Neil Morris Fragrances

I may be the only one to smell this, but Prowl reaches my nose as an osmanthus soliflore. Bright, sunny florals, hints of tea, and a big fruity apricot combine to give this impression strongly, but here there's of a certain thickness and richness I've yet to encounter before - osmanthus fragrances have a tendency to hit my nose as thin and high-pitched, but not Prowl. Fruity-florals aren't my thing, but this hits the spot in an almost unique way; the only comparable fruity fragrance I know is the obscure AL02, a similar but much darker and more oriental composition.

The drydown abruptly changes style a few hours in, leaving all this behind and becoming a very soft, pillow-like vanilla.

There is nothing aggressive, threatening, or animalic about Prowl. It's a great name, and a charming fragrance, but this is more "Ciao for now!" than a roar.

phobos9569's avatar
    phobos9569

Havana by Aramis

The best "bay rum" ever!

I went to hit the submit button and up popped a page that said my submission was too short. Really? I don't think so. It IS the best bay rum ever.

13 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2010)

No. 5 by Chanel

I recently gave Chanel #5 a sniff at the local department store. I had high hopes for this because I know how Chanel #5 is regarded. As soon as I sniffed it I became really disappointed because it smelled like an old lady. Chanel Coco Mademoiselle smells really great but this one (Chanel #5) is just horrible. I can't imagine any modern/young lady wearing this stuff let alone paying the retail for it. I rate this one a 2. Even White Diamonds smell better then this.

Donald Trump The Fragrance by Donald Trump

I personally love this stuff, especially after shower in the morning before work when I am in the great mood. Sure the name is tacky, but it does smell very pleasant: just the right amount of lemon. I am almost done with my bottle and will definitely buy some more if I can find it for a cheap price. I did get a couple of compliments but I never revealed that this was a Trump fragrance. It smells nice and clean.

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Blue No. 1580 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

I have all 4 elixirs and am getting the latest 5th (Elixir White) within the next week. But the Elixir Blue is definitely the best one of them all: very pleasant and clean, and slightly mysterious everyday fragrance. Some stores stopped selling it but you can still grab it for $10.00 if you look hard enough. Well worth even the full price of $20.00.

Mg Eau de Toilette by Trevor Sorbie

Can't really say that this is too bad, but then it is very unremarkable too. I get a kind of citrus / nutmeg vibe from it, which isn't the worst thing in the world. What I do like to do with this, is combine it with other fragrances because it has a really clean, 'lighter than air' sensibility to it. It goes great with Cool Water, gives it that little extra breeziness to become something pretty special. But on its own, not much going on here I'm afraid.

Aramis Life by Aramis

Immensely average fragrance from Aramis. To be honest, it's a pleasant enough scent, but it smells like sweat. Simple as. Either I have very nice smelling sweat or this stuff is not a very god cologne. The bottle feels cheap, especially the spray mechanism which surprised me by not breaking during its lifetime. As a scent, its almost Mediterranean, with a Sicilian vibe, but like I said, its sweat. So to sum up, if you wish to make people think that your sweat smells really nice, try this on for size.

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Decent scent from Joop!. Very popular in the nightclubs right now, which is fair because its strong presence and sweetness are powerful enough to be noticed over the stench of sweat and spilled beer. But for more casual use its a little too much in my opinion, a little sweeter than a masculine fragrance should be, with a strange medicinal quality to it initially. The drydown is pretty pleasant though, and it smells great 7 - 8 hours after application.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

I've never been drawn to celebrity scents knowing that the makers and marketers are relying on the celebrity's name to sell the "product" instead of the quality. With that said, I avoided Elizabeth Taylor's "Passion" like the plague. Yesterday a friend called and told me that he'd found a little purple bottle of perfume in his basement while he was scrounging around. He said that the print on the bottom was so small he couldn't read the name, but he would bring it by later. As soon as he laid it in my hand I recognized the ugly little bottle and knew it was Passion. Not interested in what I had always assumed to be just another loud fruity/floral, I sat it aside and went on about my business.

This morning I looked it up in Luca Turin's "The Guide". He had one star and two words for it: Fog horn." I laughed and figured that with a review like that, I'd better start with a tiny drop. I wanted to hate it...but I didn't. Even with a small drop the opening is a bit much and over-the-top, however, all of those screaming cheap synthetic notes pass quickly and the scent starts to settle into something totally unexpected: A warm, woody, ambery, smokey, smouldering chypre in the vintage vein that veers slightly into masculine territory. Who would have thought it? Given when it was made, the company it was made by, and the price, I don't expect that there are very many quality ingredients in it, but that doesn't change the fact that in small amounts this is absolutely gorgeous and lives up to it's name. I don't care what Luca Turin says about it. In the far drydown, this is reminiscent (spelling?) of the classic Ma Griffe and I'm not surprised as my Harmann & Reimer Fragrance guide lists the basenotes as oakmoss, castoreum, civet, cistus, cedar, musk and vanilla. Basenoter cedriccentric, in his review of Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely, says that E.T.'S Passion is one of the best celebrity scents after Lovely.

Given the fact that 3.7 ml of the pure parfum are plentiful on Ebay for under $10 (including shipping), I would advise anyone who loves chypres to try this and make up their minds for themselves.

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

L'Oiseau de Nuit by Parfumerie Generale

I've yet to try another PG that is as sweet as this. Honeyed, floral-amber with light touches of smoke and booze.

Safari by Ralph Lauren

I had great hopes for this but the green notes are sharp and horrible on my skin. The sillage sticks in my throat. I get a sour grassiness that hangs around for hours gradually drying down to something flat and decidedly vegetal.
    This green isn't lush and verdant it's more like school uniform drabness.

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

Mostly I smell blackcurrant - both leaves and fruit. I find it sour and with a sharpnees that sets my teeth on edge. My husband bought it for me when we revisited Paris where we spent our honeymoon. How many sad unloved bottles of this vile stuff have been bought because a husband wanted an obvious romantic gift?

Since then I have trained him to be more discerning and less literal!!!

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I love this! I have always adored smoky woody fragrances and this is the ultimate Nights of Arabia fantasy. The herbal incense is dry but so uplifting and head clearing. This is a work of genius that, if you let it, will transport you into an exotic landscape - warmed by a wood fire on desert sand you can contemplate endless starry skies. Another beautiful story from Andy Tauer.

Moschino Glamour by Moschino

Sadly more cozy slippers than red stilettos! The bottle might scream red carpet fabulousness but the fragrance is a little underwhelming. A sweet nutty affair, most like the smell of vanilla and almond biscotti. Not a great sillage but quietly long lasting. It's...nice and it's warmly comforting but it could never cast an irrestible spell.

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

No. 22 by Chanel

On a recent trip back home to the US, I was rummaging around one of the cupboards in my mom's guest bathroom. I was pleased to find half-full bottles of both Chanel No. 19 and No. 22 (eau de toilettes) that were at least 15 years old. I knew my mom had had No. 19, but I guess the No. 22 had been a gift from my Chanel-loving aunt who was always wearing No. 5, No. 19 or No. 22. (Great school of perfumery, her visits were!)Whatever: the scents were still glorious after so many years, No. 22 particularly so. If a woman desires to smell incandescently bright, fresh, sunny and classy, then this pleasant powder-puff of a white-floral potion is your ticket to sophistication. Whereas No. 5 is a gold-hued evening out, Cuir de Russie likewise, No. 22 is one of those warmer-than-usual bright spring days with a sky so clear you can see for 100 miles.

13 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2010)

The_Entity's avatar
    The_Entity

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

The packaging is quite plain and simple, yet I was still intrigued to try, and Im pleased I did because the fragrance is far from plain to me.

Very unique and expensive smelling, lasts for ages.

The_Entity's avatar
    The_Entity

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

I bought Roma without testing as the shop had no testers of this...but Im glad I did buy it, a beautiful, distinctive fragrance

urfliness's avatar
    urfliness

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

When I started wearing frags seriously (bout 4 years ago)I had no idea what I was getting into.At the time I couldn't even pronounce Lacoste ( i thouhgt it was lactose, like lactose intolerant).Anyways even when I had no real frag knowlegde I thought this was superior.I am literally at a loss for words when I try to describe this scent.I am a man of strict stanards.This pretty much exceeds all of them(as far as scents go).Try before you buy.My only suggestion.

volley2's avatar
    volley2
    China China

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This is truly a unique scent! Everytime I smell this, it reminds me of Christmas....hmmm I don't know why. Maybe because it was Christmas time years ago when I first got my bottle of Bvlgari Black. Anyway, this scent is really gorgeous. Lately, I'm in the smokey, powdery, sweet, aromatic, vanillic, leathery kind of craze with perfumes. This one is definitely a top choice.

cheekyhamsta's avatar
    cheekyhamsta

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Overrated bilge water. I agree with every single word that upsilon has said in his great review - this is the kind of powdery & dandified scent that perhaps Quentin Crisp would have worn in his later years.

13 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2010)

cheekyhamsta's avatar
    cheekyhamsta

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

I was initially attracted by its jewel-like bottle and pretty lilac liquid and so bought this EDT almost blind in a rush through a duty free shop for my wife - on the assumption that you couldn't go wrong with YSL scents. Yes you can. The fragrance starts off smelling nice enough if a little synthetic and uninspiring, based mainly around tart berries...and then it very quickly fades to nothing. To say that its longevity was a major disappointment is being very kind, lasting 1 hour at the most with several sprays. For this reason alone, I can't recommend it.

Charlus's avatar
    Charlus
    Spain Spain

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

Wonderful and amazing fragrance. Opens with citruses and galbanum. The middle notes (lavender and fig leaves) is like being under a fig tree, smelling the grass and lemon wood. Herbal-citrus with a sweet touch. Unbelievable!. It lasts in my skin more than five hours. In the clothes (t-shirt) lasts for ages. I have a paper card with Ninfeo mio and smell really good +1 month after!!!. A masterpiece. 10/10