Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio is a very strong barbershop scent IMO. It's extremely powerful and does not smell too good up close to my nose -- at least not in the first hour or so. During which time it's very sharp up close and smells extremely chemical. However, if I refrain from sniffing my wrists, or just smell them with my nose about 6 inches away, it's a wonderful scent. It has above average sillage and projection and very good longevity.

The aroma itself.. all I get in the opening is a very strong Barbasol, as it dries a little I definitely get the patchouli and amber but I don't really get the vanilla. The dry down is the best part with the honey and moss both of which are noticeable.

Not only is this extremely powerful but the sprayer shoots out a lot as well. About twice as much as the average sprayer, so one spray to the chest is all you really need. A 1.6 oz bottle could last me a couple years when I rotate with other frags too.

Asmo's avatar
    Asmo

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Although it may have been ahead of its time in 1981, there are leather chypres now with more character than Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui. Compared to Fendi Uomo and Carlo Corinto, this is dense and amorphous. I prefer the reformulation to the original since it slightly lightens and characterizes it

googlymoogly1's avatar
    googlymoogly1

Cereus pour Homme No. 5 by Cereus

Many times I don't get the comparisons that people make so I try not to make them. However, When you open a new cologne and can only think of another cologne...

Like the other reviewers I immediately thought of Terre d'Hermes. This cologne fades MUCH faster and is far less powerful. This would be a great cologne for someone that likes the fragrance of TdH, but thinks it's a little too strong. Also, The dry down is much more floral the TdH.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Immediately drawn to the packaging, A milk carton.... Then the cheap price tag, would be rude not too I said.
    On application my nasal passage was set alight! The horrendous synthetic overture eventually evaporates, eventually. What is left is rather surprising. Spiced milk is the best way to describe it. Coriander and cardamom are present in this scent alongside aromatic sage and a very cheap 'wood' note that I cant quite place my finger on (possibly too cheap to decipher) which crosses from the heart into base. I can pick up on a weak coconut accord also which thankfully isnt too strong.

For such a cheap synthetic fragrance the base is actually not too bad. In the base we find musk, tonka/coumarin and vetiver which is also in the heart. A milk accord is obviously present as well and is possibly the exact same one used in Etat Libre d'Orange 'Secretions Magnifiques'. This scent reminds me of a sweet milky hot drink I was served in South Korean chains of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts the name of which slips my mind now.

Plus Plus sits very close to the skin (thanks to tonka) and as a fragrance it lacks substance. In a higher concentration I would actually wear this on its own especially if a higher percentage on absolutes where introduced or any absolutes at all. I do tend to wear this scent as a primer to enhance other fragrances as the base is quite stunning, shockingly synthetic but nonetheless stunning in its own right.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I have never stepped foot in a gym or a changing room and if I did Im sure this is the aroma I would be met with.

Teenage boys. Sweat. Cheap deodorant. Stale.
    Heavy lavender, heavy bergamot and heavy mint. Whats even heavier and omnipresent is the apple accord in this fragrance which reminds me of DKNY Be delicious another fragrance to be cautious of. The evaporation curve is rather splendid. Nothing too drastic and its rather smooth for the entire longevity of the scent. I also admire how perfectly matched this fragrance is the to brand that its associated with. If I were to imagine a fragrance for TH it would most probably be very close to this scent. It does the citrus 1990's americana revival thing very well.

This isnt a particularly awful fragrance but it simply isnt what I would ever consider wearing (my 125mls sits in its box quite happily, undisturbed)

I cant give this fragrance a thumbs down as it is obviously a staple in many a humans scent wardrobe (all be it a human with no education in fragrance). Do try this fragrance it might be exactly what your looking for but if you, like I enjoy multi faceted fragrances that evolve into beautiful, sometimes weird aromas, stay very clear of this scent.

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Some things in left a best kept as a secret. My love of all things fragranced has become one of those little niceties. I now receive several bottles of fragrances from friends and family each year, some lovely.... some not so! Givenchy pour homme Blue label fits snugly into that 'not so' category in my opinion.

Kicking off with a cirtus top as I imagined it would do but then I was caught off guard by the jasmine note(hedione which is a Firmenich tradename). I couldnt really understand why this note was placed there in the top alongside grapefruit and bergamot accords.

I dont get any of the pepper that is said to be held in the heart as the cardamom and lavender overpowers and the Davana's sweet balsamic facets only shine through very weakly.. poor show!

The base is a conventional construction of cedar and vetiver with the inclusion of frankincense (olibanum) which sits more towards the balsamic side in Blue label which partners nicely with the Davana rather than the almost lemony aroma frankincense can have.

This is certainly a fragrance to wear if you want to join the rest of the herd. Nothing adventurous here which is fine but I tend to go for something a little more....... well, different.

Barbora's avatar
    Barbora

Acqua di Biella No. 1 by Acqua di Biella

Upon application, Acqua di Biella No. 1 gives a lovely burst of lavender citrus - a very pleasant scent with whispers of mint and bergamot. Unfortunately, the fragrance disappears on dry down - disappears completely, even after multiple applications. Not a hint on it remained after 30 minutes. The warmth of my breath couldn't revive it.

I'm generally a fan of this category of fragrance, clean, soap and water type scents that are typified by Philosophy's Pure Grace, Victoria's Secret Pink Fruity & Bright and the mother (perhaps grandmother) of all clean soap & water scents, Jean Nate.

Although, Acqua di Biella No. 1 would probably be a more interesting fragrance if it lasted, my choice of this type of scent is still Philosophy's Pure Grace. The price and staying power of Pure Grace are what make it the clear winner in my book.

obscura's avatar
    obscura

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Yesterday, I was walking by the Clinique counter and saw a display of AE, but I couldn't find the tester. I asked the woman at the counter if I could try it, and she had to rummage around in the back for a couple of minutes to find an open bottle. I sprayed my wrist twice and was immediately enveloped by a translucent veil of powdery florals. Because I'm not used to this older style of powdery fragrance, I have a hard time distinguishing notes, but I really don't care because it is just so beautiful. It is hard for me to pin it down--it is lush and thick but not impenetrable, it is a big complex floral but there is something more contemporary about it. I love it, but I'm not sure that I'm confident enough in my masculinity to pull this one off myself...

Jevon75's avatar
    Jevon75

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Overrated and cheap smelling, I hate the smell of Curve! it is so overpowering, everytime I smell someone wearing Curve I get annoyed and just shake my head in disgust. Curve is a fragrance I wish they would discontinue.

13 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2010)

Cedarmoth's avatar
    Cedarmoth

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

If M7 is the one you shag by the fire, Mugler Cologne is the one you marry in spring.

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Green Valley by Creed

This is one of the most stunning, seductive fragrances you can wear in Spring and Summer. It's so green, fresh, pure and yet very refined and expensive smelling. As others have said there is a very perceptible progression in how this scent wears over time. I love the minty, green opening. Green Valley has probably one of my favorite violet leaf notes. I've also begun to notice the creaminess of the sandalwood even in the opening. As it goes on, the patchouli/woods base takes over and I enjoy this stage just as much. The blackcurrant bud note is very pleasant and gives this scent a nice bittersweet tension. There's almost a taste of Chambord lurking in there somewhere.

This feels like a more natural, pastoral cousin of Green Irish Tweed, without all of the dihydromyrcenol. I love Green Irish Tweed, but I think Green Valley is the one with more natural good looks. Either way, they both grab attention.

jwebber1@austin.rr.com's avatar
    jwebber1@austin.rr.com

Ambre & Diamant Noir by Ambregris

delicious, voluptuous, makes all others seem like mere imitations.....

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

A lot of people mention Issey Miyake's L'Eau d'Issey...right on...but there is another famous jus in there: Curve!
    Try a shot of Curve and one shot of LEdI and you've got Fujiyama Homme. I suppose the Curve smell is what some reviewers are calling a cheap scent. I don't blame them, Curve is hard to love, and the demographic that patronizes Curve is hard to want to emmulate.

Either way, this is as close to Curve as I will ever get. I think this make great toilet spray. But I must confess I have worn it more than a few times with positive respnse from women, though again, those women fit a specific demographic...

mikeperez23's avatar
    mikeperez23

Granato by Omnia Profumo

Wow...sort of a masculine oriental with camphor iciness to it.

It has that same tangy citrus spice, that I recognize from Opium Pour Homme by YSL and/or Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - but much more floral. I'm a sucker for any oriental fragrance, I admit, but this one is definitely intriguing.

It might be a bit too sandalwood prominent, for it to be entirely unisex. But you women out there who love woody orientals should enjoy this one also.

And thumbs up for the bottle - I just want to hold that gold-finished orb in my hand. :)

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

What I find interesting here is how my perception of this scent changes depending on its distance from my nose. For example, about an hour into it, it smells “okay” from distance (i.e., its natural projection), but if I put my nose to my wrist I get a definite bug spray accord that ruins it for me.

Other observations: I find the opening to be green, soapy and fruity. I find the drydown to be tolerable after the bug spray accord dissipates. Overall, a thumbs down.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Zizan by Ormonde Jayne

I love it right away too. It's a lemony vetiver..somewhat exuberant but also all under control. The notes don't go to crazy town...there is a clarity and purity to the mix. There is also somehow a warmth and comfort to this. It's great!

bruce27's avatar
    bruce27

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is without a doubt so good it makes me ANGRY ! What angers me about this will anger others from America that love this fragrance like I do. Well, for those that don't live in America I will tell you if you own this fragrance you will be a lucky guy that has a one of kind fragrance as I gather this isn't sold in other countries. So you don't get the back lash we do of it being from a Teenie-bopper store that is fad oriented, and anything that is known as a fad becomes played out before long. It sucks when a fragrance is known as a fad because even if the fragrance is the best in the world sooner or later there will be a back lash against it. This happened in the 80's with Polo (green bottle), and Drakkar. I remember one day it was ..."WOW you smell so good", and 6 months later in a nasty snear the same person smelling the same scent would say ... "ewwww are you wearing Polo". Fierce has been somewhat lumped into this category. However, since Polo wasn't linked to a specific store for Teenie-boppers it was aloud to resurface and now can be worn now and then without negative comments, but with getting compliments as many don't know this fragrance anymore. Will Fierce be able to do the same ?

This is a bright-sillage bomb that fades after the first application only to reappear with a VENGENCE and stay all day long ! Longevity on this stuff is great ! This is a sexy, woman attracting cologne, that's addictive to smell, and if this was made by a more well known and respected house I'm sure it still would have been over used. It smells that good ! However, at least you could be okay with the store you were buying it from haha. This isn't just a young guy fragrance. It's just a good fragrance period ! Old and young can get a kick out of this one. I would say that many go on a quest to find the best cologne out there or at least close to the best. However, unfortunately when they find it it's a over used fad cologne from a store people can't stand ! So now the same people are secretly in a search for a cologne that smells like Fierce, but that comes from a better store ! A store they can live with shopping at !

Buy it, wear it, and enjoy it ! Just make sure you only wear a little because a little goes along way. Also make sure you wear it only to certin places if you're in American with a AF store down the street. Just judge the situation for yourself and you should be fine. If you're not from America you just foud the BOMBDIGADEE of Frangraces, so wear it any time you want ! THIS STUFF IT GREAT !

L'homme vert's avatar
    L'homme vert

Antilope by Weil

My review for 'Antilope' is based on extrait from a recently opened flacon dating to the late 1940's, early 50's.
    Bottle was boxed, cellophane sealed & perfectly stored.
    A boozy opening of partially dead & damaged aldehydes followed immediately with the most powerful hesperidic top notes I have ever experienced from a vintage 'fragrance'.
    Sicilian Bergamot plus Tangerine or Mandarin possibly combined with lashings of the highest quality Grasse Neroli, absolutely breathtaking !
    No cloying sweetness at all to be found in this perfectly blended beauty, the inclusion of sage in the heartnotes and Vetyver in the base stops this from happening.
    At this stage the floral elements become apparent, I detect a melange of Rose, Hyacinth, Narcissus and Jasmine, all underpinned with a generous dose of Florentine Iris (Orris butter)
    The addition of Acacia Farnesiana within this floral composition lends a slightly dry, honyed beeswax accent in keeping with the Savannah reference to this perfume.
    I believe the newer formulations include chamomile, this would account for the extra dry hay-like effect absent in the original version.
    Superb sillage drying down to a woody base with hints of Vetyver, Oakmoss, Amber resin, Sandalwood and soft Nitro musks.
    I failed to detect any of the listed animalic notes in this vintage orchestration, no civet, castoreum or Ambergris & would classify this as a Floral chypre (Dry Hesperide)
    Have yet to sample Secret de Venus 'Antilope' ? (Huile de Bain) another number on my to-do-list !
    The newer Parfum de Toilette version is less floral with a slightly synthetic woody base lacking the depth of character showcased by the original formula.
    Vintage Extrait of this calibre & concentration is appreciated fully when atomized.and applied sparingly.
    A rare vintage jewel from the House of 'WEIL' . . . . .

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Black Gardenia by Black Gardenia - Michele Bergman

Well well, well... a gardenia perfume oil that I actually like and can tolerate. First up- no plasticky aromas- thank the Perfume Gods for that !
    Begins very sweet ..as in indian jasmine oil sweet which calms down after about 5-10 minutes to pulsating lightly sweet gardenia 'type' perfume.
    As this is 'black gardenia' - I can see the drama with it- it's not a fresh green peppery on the bush white ,soft petaled gardenia. It's an artistic impression of what a black gardenia would be like. Almost verging on cloying but not quite, a slightly droopy blooming black gardenia in humidity, is the picture I am getting .

As a perfume oil ,it's lovely. Even though I say this is a bit of a drama queen gardenia impression, it is quite wearable as a happy fragrance.
    It's sweetness is not at all plasticky- more of jasminey - vanilla sweetness and therefore quite addictive to sniff.

To me, this is completely different from Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia which comes across as a little grand, aloof and elegant. E L Tuberose Gardenia is a true painting of a white gardenia ,beautiful against the green waxy leaves of the bush, it is on.

This little black gardenia drama queen is about 18 years old and a little OTT in style ( not a bad thing - I mean, it's a youthful but sultry fragrance. ) !

This perfume oil reminds me of India and indian things. It's yummy ,delicious and has a place in the different varieties of gardenia fragrances out there.

*** Sophi's recommendation . Thanks - excellent choice.

Patty's avatar
    Patty

Wrappings by Clinique

The description "you'll think the Christmas tree was wrapped in garlands of roses and jasmine but tipped over and fell into your gin" is perfect - *exactly* what I get from Wrappings! I love the touches of evergreen and juniper berries. It's literally a refreshing fragrance, so refreshingly different from the cotton-candy bombs of today. I'm betting that this will become a good summer scent for me. However it must be sprayed with a light hand or it will become overwhelming (that's my experience with all perfumes from the Lauder group). A squirt to the back of the neck and one to each wrist is sufficient.

RJR's avatar
    RJR

Driven Black by Derek Jeter

The poor man's Eau D'Orange Verte. An abundance of orange in the top and middle notes sparks an instant connection to the Hermes' masterpiece, though this is not nearly as refined and well done. And the minty green note in EDOV is replaced by heavy powder in this one. Nor does this last as long as the concentre version of EDOV. Still, I like this, and I will find casual days to wear it.

urfliness's avatar
    urfliness

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci pour home opens with a really strong cedar note.In the first 5 min after purchase I thought "what have I gotten myself into?". Upon smelling it again I "got it".This is for a confident man who knows what his tatse and standards are. Everyone can't pull this off. Fortunately I am one of those who can.Lucky me.

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

Enjoli by Revlon

Based on nothing more than the release date and the look of the bottle, I was expecting this to be some sort of disco-era sharp, plasticky amber/musk awfulness. I was wrong. This is really quite a pleasant, well-balanced, soft floral. Despite all the notes listed, I smell mostly jasmine (the pretty-pretty variety, a la Chanel no. 5), orange blossom and vanilla. How can you go wrong with that?

kitsch's avatar
    kitsch

Le B by Agnès B

A gentle white floral. Very feminine and subtle. I wish I had the nose that would enable me to pick out the notes for you - apart from "rose" and "orange blossom" and "fragrant white flowers" I'm stuck!

(I haven't tried the new formulation which sounds intriguing. A comparison would be great. Luckily I have a practically full 50 ml bottle of the original so I don't have to panic if the reformulation does away with the original.)

kitsch's avatar
    kitsch

L'Eau Rose by Agnès B

Glorious and uplifting lemonade rose. It's a tonic for the body, with real rose oil and dazzlingly zesty citrus. It isn't overwhelming, just fresh and revitalising all day - it has real lasting power too, mellowing but staying true for hours and hours. I can't for the life of me understand why this was discontinued.

Essential for a hot, busy day - wearing it is like carrying your own private garden with you, the roses soothe and the sparkling citrus keeps you alert and ready for anything.

My remaining half-bottle is my treasure. I wish it was still available.

trapper's avatar
    trapper
    Romania Romania

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

Animalic, insanity, evil, beautiful, rose - are the words to describe the depth of this fragrance. It's sophisticated, has good longevity (not quite like Taste of Heaven which lasts 24 hours) but it's above average nonetheless.

Thumbs way up.

ubergeek's avatar
    ubergeek

Roots for Him by Roots

A good but not great fragrance from the Canadian sportswear house. It's definitely outdoorsy with cedar and dried leaves as the dominant notes. If you walk around in plaid shirts and work boots all day it's a fine choice. Personally, I find myself not wearing Roots for Him all that much, and it's probably because it's too aquatic and too similar to a bunch of other fragrances to bother with. But that's just me.

ubergeek's avatar
    ubergeek

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Hmm. I found Dior Homme selling at half price at a discount store (of all places) and bought a 100ml bottle without researching or sampling it first. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting but the intriguing blend of iris and pencil shavings is just different and exotic enough to make me like it. The balance, the structure and the elegance of this scent make it a worthy signature scent for the house of Dior. Great as an office fragrance or for formal occasions. Yes, it's definitely a unisex scent that can just as easily have been marketed as a woman's fragrance, but I honestly don't find it any more feminine than e.g. Chanel Allure Homme or the original Perry Ellis.

jayjupes's avatar
    jayjupes

Knowing by Estée Lauder

this is the first perfume i ever owned
    gifted to me by a woman whose son i sat for in Connecticut
    she said it was for a much older woman
    but she thought of me when she smelled it

i was fifteen

it's very authoritative and stoic and still veiled in a sensuality i can't define
    it's illogical and airtight in its coherence

i still love this perfume

jayjupes's avatar
    jayjupes

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Something plushly understated in this unappealing mess.
    Gave it away.

14 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2010)