Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Spring Flower by Creed

It seems to me that the type of people who would wear a bombastic fruity floral such as this are the same type of people who own a small dog and paint its toe nails pink.

Now I have nothing against yappy little dogs. I think it's quite cute when their owners take them to the mall and don't notice when they drop something on the floor as the owners are scurrying down the isle.

See all those notes listed, that's what you'll smell like if you wear this. If you're short on cash you can tide yourself over by buying a bag of Jolly Ranchers, sucking on them until they are wet and sticky and then plastering them all over your chest. Same result.

And your dog will love it.

Iris de Nuit by Heeley

Lovely Green Perfection.
    This opens with Angelica, similar to Guerlain's Angelique Noir which I recently sampled. But Guerlain's version was quite heavy and sharp to me, whereas this one is light, almost too light, as it seems to disappear for a while then come back to hang out.

But this is the type of green opening I look for, so my first impression was very positive.

This has carrot in it, which I recently sniffed in pure oil form at Wholefoods. Carrot is sweet, actually, and quite a bit earthy. It's a note that I like, where as violet and iris (orris root) are notes that I love.

When the middle act begins I'm all a flutter with giddiness. Because of the carrot this sweetens up a bit, which may appeal to the floral/fruity fans, but doesn't become so sweet that a chypre fan like me would want to wash off.

This is one I like well enough to hold onto my sample so I can return to it. The flag I've raised is longevity, which is why I want to try it on various days to get a better feel. Love it.

BradW's avatar

Zegna Colonia by Ermenegildo Zegna

I've been a fan of Zegna frags for awhile now, so I certainly had to give this one a try. It's a sweet smelling woodsy scent that is fresh and easy to wear. It smells a lot like Hugo Boss Selection to my nose, but as long as you don't own both, it's a worthy frag to include in your rotation.

Kerosene's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Refreshing, bright, and not edgy. The only con is that it doesnt last long on my skin. Probably around 4 hours.

jtothek's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Man, I really wanted to like this, but ultimately, I don't think it will be a mainstay in my collection. Went on way too intense, and takes over two hours to chill out on my skin. --It eventually gets to a place that's interesting, though still not my cup of tea: spicy, woody, and vaguely medicinal over a lot of amber. If you're an amber fan, you may have a different perspective.

bemebe's avatar

Panthère de Cartier by Cartier

If perfume could wear red lipstick, tight black dress with enormous shoulder pads and strum along on an electric guitar - this would have a presence on the Addicted to Love video circa 1986.

Evocative of 80s Yuppie decadence. I love it.

djnnjd's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

It smells nice, but doesn't last long. An OK summer fragrance for warm climates. I am somewhat disappointed that I purchased this. I should have checked the ratio of positive to negative reviews on Basenotes.net! It's basically 2.5 to 1.

No. 89 by Floris

This may seem a bit powdery to the wearer at first but I can assure you that it is not. I may not be an expert in Fragrances but No. 89 is a rare delight, it has been rumored that Prince Charles uses No. 89 from time to time. Your female companion may love or like it but I think it is impossible to hate this fragrance.

Special No. 127 by Floris

Do not listen to these negative reviewers, even though I am no expert in Fragrances I believe No. 127 to be the best fragrance (for men) Floris has ever made. It is very pleasant, elegant, masculine and probably most appropriate for formal occasions though I am still unsure about that, it is just as perfect for day wear if you can pull it off. Real Gentlemen wear Floris No. 127!

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Pleasant but too artificial and fades away quite quickly!

GekiGAngerII's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

I'm new to this fragrance thing and my sense of smell has become bad but Rochas Man is the best perfume I have ever owned.

The sample smelled like 10 years old, and I did not smell anything on paper but because of the reviews here I bought it anyway.

When I used it the first morning I caught the sweetness. Then I got small whiffs of it after it dried down. Even guys compliment me on this one. I have never bought the same perfume twice but Rochas Man will certainly be in my hands again.

kitsch's avatar

Annam by Tan Giudicelli

I've given away the EdT of this which is probably lighter, airier than the EdP.

The scent is delicate and sweet in the air, but it isn't "right" on me.

I didn't realise it had so many fans. I had it shut away before giving it to someone who loves it!

14 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2012)

zztopp's avatar

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Eau de Guerlain (EdG) is the youngest of the Guerlain Eaux's, constructed in 1974 by JP-Guerlain. While the earlier Eauxs were simpler refreshing citrus formulae with little to no long tail, EdG while a competent citrus-aromatic/chypre has a distinctive 70s herb-laden vibe about it.

The top notes have a clear dominant lemon note but almost immediately the "star" that makes EdG standout from various cologne formulas makes an appearance...its the herb known for cleaning the urinary system: the caraway. Here though its utilized for nasal pleasure, its characteristic sweet-spicy-herbal aroma made uplifting by good use of mint and a light infusion of jasmine and lavender to soften the herbal middle notes show. While EdG has a generally light feel, it can last for a good 6-7 hours...this is due to moss and musk in the base, with the tingly mossy aroma lasting long after the lemon shine and homeopathic carraway have faded away.

EdG is made with quality materials, and while its the young un of the Eaux family, its the one with the most retro feel. A spicy-sweet herbal-lemon aroma that wouldn't be out of place amongst the staff of the Nixon administration or on the set of Grease. The newer generation may be turned off by the strong herbal-carraway component and I prefer the clearer focus on quality citrus notes of the Eauxs from the 1800s. What was old is now new again.

Rating: 8.25/10.0

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

A vanilla-woody-almost gourmand. The cypress is featured prominently here, being a woody note that you haven't smelled that often before in other scents.

I find the base a bit cloying though, lots of sweet amber and vanilla.

Could wear this as a clubbing scent, but not sure how the wood will be interpreted by the people around you.

It's not a bad scent - certainly not for this price - but I'm not raving about it as some others.

15 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2010)

SirSlarty's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

This has the same fruity woods I detect in a lot of men's fragrances: Del Mar Seychelles, Mont Blanc Starwalker, Armani Diamonds... the drydown of Polo Explorer... also it's very similar to YSL's Elle.

Eclat starts of with a tart fruity note and dries down into an ambery woods. Light and gentle, I like it.

SirSlarty's avatar

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Opening: fruity citrusy tea. Brisk and strong
    Middle: Ah there's the sandalwood... wait it's going away to form something else...
    Drydown: sweat. Dry, fruity sweat.

Overall the experience with this fragrance is a hot summer, sunny day, working outside and forgetting to shower just before heading out to meet some friends. you ask one of them if they have any deodorant but they hand you some fragrance sample they happen to have and you verily spray it on hoping to mask your day's work from earlier.

I usually refrain from referring to others' reviews but Vibert's mention of raisins is pretty much a good description. A dried fruit I despise.

Asha's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Timbuktu

Notes: green mango, pink pepper berries, cardamom, karo karounde flower, smokey incense of papyrus wood, patchouli, myrrh, vetiver (from luckyscent.com)

I am not fond of the fenugreek opening notes that are reminiscent of Parfum d'Empire Fougere Bengal, ie, an edible curry. However, after the opening accord settles down, I must admit that Timbuktu is one of the best woody-incense fougeres I have experienced. The herbal accord is understated, only a tad medicinal and primarily aromatic, with a freshness that contributes a tinge of brightness without making me feel as though my nostrils have been scrubbed by a wire brush (as many contemporary fougeres have a tendency to do). The woody notes are difficult to place, and have a sweet creaminess not unlike sandalwood. The incense notes add a luxurious richness without being heavy or cloying. Wood, incense, smoky green vetiver and some soapiness define the drydown, although the herbal accord still lingers in faded form. Overall, Timbuktu is an amazingly well-crafted composition, and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anybody who is looking for a balanced, modern interpretation of a classic fougere.

Asha's avatar

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Dzonkha

Notes: Lichee, Cardamom, Peony, Iris, Tea Leaves, Incense (from luckyscent.com)

For a supposed spiced incense and tea fragrance Dzonkha starts incredibly boozy--like a single malt scotch with dry woods and peaty smoke. The opening accord is intoxicating but short lived, and gives way to the cardamom and tea that I expected from the beginning. Soon after, the tea accord evokes a leathery quality, and combined with cardamom, woody notes and some smoke gives the impression of a dry leather chypre such as the classic Estee Lauder Azuree. Peeking out within the mid notes is an unexpected dose of pepper which carries the spice impression as the cardamom fades. The drydown is spicy, aromatic and slightly sweet with hints of unburned incense resin--at this stage, the leather quality persists along with the pepper. Dzonkha is a very enjoyable ecclectic fragrance, more dry and understated than the equally boozy, leathery, tea-tinged Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe. Dzonkha is slightly formal in its leather character, but as easy to wear as a well-loved pair of jeans.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

(Written concurrently with Parfums de Nicolai New York)

A rich, suave wood scent with a somewhat intimate tone. Opens more soapy and floral than PdN New York, with a fair amount of jasmine in the top that I can smell from up close. It's slightly more gentle and feminine and doesn't penetrate as far as New York. If you want quiet sweet woods, this is probably it...everything blends into a single warm blanket of scent and no single note stands out to me. I do, however, fear this going over the edge into Too Sweet territory because I find more vanilla and less spice in it. It just doesn't feel as powerful as New York, so I'd place it more in the context of snuggling with a lady at home than out in the professional world. Or if New York seems like it's being too forceful, BdP is the one for you. Alternatively, if you want more of the jasmine or other florals in your spicy wood scent (getting farther from New York), you may want to try Rochas Lui, which is another notch further up the floral scale.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I'm trying to review these side-by-side, unfortunately on a fairly cold day...

The "latest" old version (light brown cap, darker juice) is sharper and more bitter, featuring a harsher, almost aged lime which is adulterated with some kitchen herbs. The new version (silver cap, lighter juice) is lighter and crisper even in the top, and features a paler, admittedly somewhat "wussy" lime that somehow retains more sparkle, and is decidedly cleaner. The brown cap version changes into a darker piney green which I find musty and unfriendly, but the silver cap version changes into something very modern and transparent. It's a creamy citrus and wood scent that I really like, and ironically remains noticeable longer to me than the nominally heavier brown cap version. A slight but happy sweetness emerges in the base, whereas the brown cap just becomes more rancid and spiteful.

Ultimately, I feel like the brown cap version smells dated, whereas the silver cap is contemporary and approachable, and reminds me of the drydown of the latest version of Guerlain Vetiver (which is both stronger and less expensive). Both are weak enough not to be worth the unusually high prices that this stuff seems to fetch for a designer scent. In the end, the light reedy wood drydown of the silver cap version wins for me, but I'm not sure whether Eau Sauvage in general deserves a victory.

New York by Nicolaï

(Written concurrently with Creed Bois du Portugal)

This is a big, aggressive citrus-wood scent with a lot to say. Opens up sharper and more smoky than BdP, with more orange and lemon peel that persists for a while. It's slightly harsher and more masculine, and I can definitely smell it from farther away than BdP. This to me fits the bill slightly better for the "boardroom", financial tycoon, "powerhouse" scent because of the brassy citrus and the better penetration. Plus, the leafiness of the citrus and the smoke keep the sweetness in check, though just barely. I'd be more afraid of New York getting tiresome simply because of its strength and persistence, nice though it is to begin with. This may be a bit of a leap, but if you want a more strictly spice-oriented scent (getting farther from BdP), think about the cheapo Pierre Cardin because it's more disciplined in keeping its sweetness under control.

epicurean's avatar

Musk by Etro

Clean laundry, fresh out of the dryer after having used a pleasant fabric softener: That's Etro's Musk. Is that good, is it bad? Whatever: It's clean, it's pleasant, and sometimes that's enough. But just sometimes, though. Nice! I can imagine a young guy in high school or in college going for this, and the girls really going for the guys wearing this.

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

I am going to give a typical "on the fence" review here. I like Agua Brava, it possesses a pleasurable old skool citric-pine opening blast that is very refreshing and morphs into a more woody-spicy base. But, if you have ever stayed/lived for some time in Spain during the last 40 years you'll be sick of it by now. It is basically the national fragrance, worn by every dad and uncle. It is simply impossible to have missed it. Agua Brava is pretty elegant but for me it is too loaded with memories and a certain type of man so that I only can wear it as an ironic gesture.

People still love it (as witnessed here), it is easily available (supermarkets included) and good value for money but I prefer a slightly more modern take on Spanish grooming (with for instance Esencia Loewe).

jbr's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I admire the house of Bulgari for the way they have cultivated a unique brand of subtle, classy and thoroughly modern fragrances, while still managing to surprise with a few wild left turns every now and again (Bulgari Black, I'm looking at you). Here, the signature Bulgari tea note is well on display, buffeted by light woods and musk in the base. This is a calm, self-assured fragrance possessed of a soft-spoken masculinity, and an easy contender for a spot in any wardrobe.

jbr's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Oh my, this one starts off potent! What a brilliant, fat bergamot note we have here in Zino's opening moments. This deserves special mention as one of the best (and strongest) representations of everyone's favorite sour orange I have smelled to date - puts me straight in the mood for some Earl Grey. However, as others have noted, though Zino initially has all the familiar trappings of a classic 80's powerhouse, it doesn't quite go in that direction. Zino opts to lower the speed, swerve off the highway and take the scenic route instead - taking some time to smell the roses, as it were. And the rose here is quite well done, surrounded by some nice sweet spice and woods. The real party for me though is the gentle pillow of a base: sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla - utterly beautiful. Only complaint? Longevity is a little less than I would like in a fragrance of this character, but I'm willing to be forgiving when the rest of it is so good.

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Such a nice spicy cologne. It's so.. calming, so smooth, and it lasts. It can be used as your daily scent, it can also be used at formal occasions, it does not lack the one feature I love : versatility.

It starts with a blast of modern icy mint, not the kind you find in Live Jazz, and the pear tree leaf note is lovely. It then settles down to a cold icy minty fruity tea-like kind of vibe. The drydown is transparent, soothing and simple.

Overall: ***** (5 stars out of 5)
    Versatility: ***** (5 stars out of 5)
    Longevity: **** (4 stars out of 5)
    Projection: *** (3 stars out of 5)

15 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2010)

subhuman85's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Timeless, singular, intoxicating blend of herbs, musk, florals and citrus, with the sex appeal ramped up to 11 and no prisoners taken. Like Gaultier's Le Male after a vigorous jog and a Mediterranean spice rack dumped all over him. What civet? What semen? What urine? This is pure, masculine je ne sais quois in a bottle, and wholly unlike anything else on the shelves. A must-sniff for fragrance fanatics, and the sexiest scent on Earth for the rest of us.

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

Ooh...how can i state what I think of this scent? I LOVE it!

Fleur to the Rose is the glory note of the US National Anthem; the scene in 'When Harry met Sally' that makes the whole movie worth watching; and the landing of Kerry Strugg's gold winning vault jump.

Edit: on this second wearing I am able to detect more of the note interplay; yesterday I was too overwhelmed by the overall affect. This opens with a faint, citrus kiss. Immediately you'll detect the tea and rose, which does remind me of a light 'rose bath soap' scent, but i"m not saying this is 'cheap' or 'generic'.

the tea throws me off a bit; this is a not a note I"m used to detecting. When I've smelled it before the scent was dry and I did't care for it, but here it is 'raspy and dewy', kind of like what my rose garden smelled like when I lived in Phoenix - thta mixture of faint luscious rose and parched, sandy earth that was watered each day to make flowers.

The ambergris dries down is powdery and maintains the hint of green. My opinion holds that this is one of the best floral greens I've tried (I had a similar feeling towards Antonia's Flowers Absoluto)

lauraschoice's avatar

Paradise for Women by Alfred Sung

I tried this scent based, in part, on the positive reviews on this site. I was very disappointed. This is an overly strong musk that has no floral notes that I could find and nothing else to recommend it.

!RedSonja!'s avatar

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I tried samples of this and it was too sweet for me in the bottle, however, I have the pressed powder, and that is nice to wear once in a while. Overall, I think this scent is good for young ladies, even pre-teens, and I gave my sample bottles to my daughter. On her, it smells "right".