Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

Smells like a mix of cat piss, moss, and mold. Nautica's worst for sure, thank god this has been discontinued.

15th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th December, 2010)

lotionlover's avatar

Jean Nate by Revlon

As a male ive all ways love jean nate. It just smells divine it makes me feel so good. And an ah feeling.
    I love the 30oz lotion and splash as well.

15th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2011)

zztopp's avatar

My Voyage by Nautica

My Voyage is a floral-aquatic for women which does the tried-and-tested and never rises above mediocrity. An alcohol-laden blast of lime and bitter orange greets you when you splash it on - more bitter orange than sweet zesty lime, the citrus combo is far from photorealistic but does its job in linking up with an aquatic floral accord in the heart notes. The salty slightly screechy aquatic note is thankfully relegated to the background while a floral landscape of lots of light tea-floral like peony, a little muguet and little to no lotus persist till the base of amber and musk takeover and complete this generic performance.

My Voyage knows its limits...it knows its displaying a worn out formula with generic if not ghastly materials, and consequently it keeps the volume low...the notes whisper instead of blasting out and the general light nature of the fragrance ensures that the fragrance may bore you but wont annoy you. There are too many quality aquatics and fruity-florals out there that are more worthy of your $$ but if you wind up with a bottle of this either spray it on when you have nothing else to do or just file it under the "Generic", "Been there done that", "Cash-in", "Don't care" or "Not going on MY voyage" labels..

Rating: 5.5/10.0

decker's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma

A top quality citrus scent! I love the combo of citrus, vetiver, and wood.

colormechris's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

A pleasant enough affair, but nothing to really distinguish it. Smells a lot like other '90's releases in the sharp white peppery ozonic style. Azzaro Chrome, Oscar by DeLaRenta, Dior Higher etc. This one is softened by a generous dose of lavender. For daytime guys in business suits, it's a can't go wrong type thing. You'll smell clean and classy; but you won't smell distinguished (from anything else, that is). I mean, it's good. But a "so what?" kind of good. You could really say that about Old Spice too.

scentsitivity's avatar

Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia by Bois 1920

The citrus (grapefruit) on top is instantly drowned by an airy floral musk accord. It is also a touch soapy. Overall it feels feminine, cheap and not especially pleasant. Not recommended.

scentsitivity's avatar

Red Vetyver by Montale

This smells a lot like Terre d’Hermes (TdH) to me. I should clarify: TdH presents itself inconsistently on my skin and Red Vetiver falls within the experience envelope that I have had with TdH. I am ambivalent to it and I would say to anyone who is testing this, please test Terre as well: you may find it meets your needs at a much lower price.

SirSlarty's avatar

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Cotton candy. For that nostalgic trip to the fair or circus or when you want to feel like a kid again. The cotton candy smells like berries after a while and gets woodsy and powdery for the drydown. A cheap alternative to Profumum's Acqua e Zucchero, wich is a lovely berry scent with woods.

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Hey what can i say,another great Tom Ford offering

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

Arabian Wood by Tom Ford

Its ok... Not at all worth the price in my opinion.

Allure Homme by Chanel

A really nice spicy fruity frangrance, with ok longevity. Inoffensive and all around, it's an ideal pick for the casual daytime.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A masterfully conceived sweet oriental fragrance, you can't just ignore. With good longevity, it is an excellent choice for a night out (or in, as you can simply relax and let go while wearing it!) A personal favourite.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Everything about it is excessive (in a good way); sweet, heavy, oriental, and most of all, seductive. Very special with amazing longevity, for cold weather and remarkable happenings. A true YSL fragrance.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

At the begining it was instant love with this fresh aquatic fragrance, which was equally wearable at summer and autumn, unlike egoïste - for which much unfortunately you must be well past your 20's, - but that love vanished along the way, couldn't keep me interested in the end. It is indeed high quality, with very good longevity, and can see the reason it is loved, but I think it's over for me.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Wondering which fragrance can cope with an extremely hot weather? This is the answer. This fresh citrus miracle is ideal for warm summer days, with decent longevity and a refreshing cooling smell that'll help you stay cool despite the heat. Really nice, don't miss it!

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Interesting spicy fragrance with a note of lemon a bit too prominent. Good longevity and a really nice fresh smell make it a very good choice for summer.

Jungle Gardenia (original) by Coty

I think this is the right one, the bottle said Tuvache, not Coty.

It didn't smell a bit like gardenia to me - or on me, but I think the previous reviewer's characterization of it as "excruciatingly sweet and cloying," and "scary stuff" describe it much better than I ever could.

Nevertheless, I miss it. With no offense to anyone's mother who wore it, I remember it as being the fragrance of choice of twelve year olds who, it was hmmphed, were "trying to grow up too fast."

But Jungle Gardenia was much more than that. It was what even the nicest girls from the finest families wore to sneak out, to skip school and ride in cars driven by children without licenses. It was the only perfume that could be counted on to camouflage cigarette smoke.

It was the go-to perfume for steamy, hormone-and-stolen adult beverage-saturated nights of clandestine summer vacation resort rendezvous, when secret things happened that no one would ever, ever tell.

Because as strong as it smelled, it would wash right off, and you could spray your Good Girl Ambush back on and smile and be polite to all the grownups and hear them boast about your grades as you quietly excused yourself and went up to "study," washing the Ambush off with Sweetheart soap and reaching down under your awful schoolgirl knee-socks in the third drawer of some venerable and giant carved thing, and lift her out almost reverently, because in that long long ago of near and far and east and west and secrets and meetings of twains in city after continent, she loved them all, did Jungle Gardenia, loved to come out of the drawer at night, to play and make more memories, keep more secrets, forever...

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Whoa! OK Just the first few reviews have made me cry. I don't know what I can add that hasn't been said better.

This was my signature scent when I was 16. Yes, I was kind of odd. I had raced ahead of my peers a little in outgrowing the standard Ambush-Canoe-stolen-from-some-male-English Leather triumvirate of what today is called Middle School, or the Tween years.

I was 16, and I knew everything there was to know about everything, I was immortal and invincible, and L'Heure Bleue, being the only fragrance capable of conveying such superlatives, was the only perfume I could possibly have worn. In retrospect, I understand that, but at the time, it just "drew me."

It smelled like everything I was, everything I wanted to be. That hasn't changed, though I was sad to note that apparently L'Heure Bleue has. Luckily I laid in a good stock before Reformulation, before the Economic Transition.

Another thing that hasn't changed is my perception of L'Heure Bleue as a winter fragrance. In summer I spray myself with copious amounts of Hove Vetiver, but in winter, I open frosted windows, and a frosted glass stopper drops a little cool, wet kiss just behind an ear, the pulse of a wrist, and runs to meet the icy breeze and tell it tales of far away lands and air thick with spices and flowers.

In many ways, this is the most eastern of all western perfumes. Go ahead. Go "whaaaa?" but then open your bottle, look at a globe if you need to, and think about it. It's a spirit thing.

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

I really love this stuff, but it's a good news and bad news story.

On me, the gardenia is very fleeting, which is a good thing, as only the mushroomy earthy part of it is perceptible.

After about 5 minutes of that, my skin sort of sucks the jasmine out of it and spits it back at everybody who comes near me until I take a bath.

I don't know how long it would last if I were not a frequent bather.

The bad news is, it is way too expensive for me to buy.

The good news is that I can almost duplicate the effect of it if I douse myself in enough Jasminum Grandiflorum essential oil.

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Moderately grapefruity, soapy herbal thing. Nice I suppose, but it's just slightly too close to standard-issue shampoo for me to really respect it. Consider Balle de Match instead...slightly less shampooey grapefruit. Still, I respect it as a sort of proto-aquatic.

Joseph Abboud by Joseph Abboud

Didn't seem too bad right out of the bottle, but then it became an aggressively strong, terribly cheap scent. Basically, it's root beer (Dr. Pepper? regular cola?) which means it's not for me. If I could get the top off my mini bottle again without nearly breaking a finger, I might smell it again and write more, but it's evidently not worth it.

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

This falls between the light sparkly lemon of most Eau de Colognes, and the musty lemon of something that takes itself too seriously (Boucheron). I really like the top but it just gets too stuffy in the base, and the herbs they've added to it are too pungent.

Vetyver Lanvin (new) by Lanvin

Yes, it does have the sharp green of a vetiver scent, but boy is it ever chemical-y...second only to Insense Ultramarine (eau de nail polish and hair spray). I have enough respectable vetiver scents, and even decent drugstore-level green scents, to let this one go.

softstarlight's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I was just given this again by my son, and after many years of not having smelt it, have fallen in love with it yet again. When I first owned it I think I wore too much of it, now I realize, as is with most perfumes - less is more - this needs to be worn delicately. It truly has a timeless quality to it.

urfliness's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I tried to give this a shot but it just sux so I gave it away.I can barely smell it.

16th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 12th July, 2010)

Jack's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

IMO think this is an underated vanilla here on BN. Thumbs up.

ubergeek's avatar

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Lauder for Men is my absolute favourite men's fragrance. Rich, complex, sophisticated, exotic. Sage and ferns dominate the top, with just a hint of roses and carnations. Then it dries down to a base of musk, sandalwood and incense. And it's all layered and structured so beautifully, you're left wondering why all fragrances can't be made this way. I'm not sure how versatile Lauder for Men is, but for formal occasions this is always my first choice. The great thing about this fragrance is that it's not a huge seller and it's very different from almost everything else out there, so you always feel like you're wearing something rare and exclusive.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

High Line by Bond No. 9

Dear friends in Basenotes,

This is definitely a ladies fragrance; not a gents one; reminds of what my mother would have worn at an evening summer cocktail party; she would have left a nice sweet sillage all round our bedroom after kissing us good night.

Sweet feminine floral ladies notes...

Ursula's avatar

Gucci Flora by Gucci

I am shocked to read the negative comments about Flora. On me it smells very nice and I have declared it as one of my favorites. Especially the way the floral beginning softly dries down and then lingers on in a clean cut classy way. At first whiff, I compared it to the freshness of Chanel No. 5, another favorite of mine. Not at all disappointed, and if the rest of the world does not like it, I do and have received compliments about it. A fresh, young and almost sporty scent, perfect for the Summer, for a luncheon with the girls.

BayKAT's avatar

Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi by Caron

This is a scent that is all about Sweet pea, which Daltroff tried to recreate with various other white flowers. Whether or not he succeeded i'm not sure, as i've never smelled Sweetpea, but I do know this smells very similar to Mona di Orio's Oiro (also a sweetpea fragrance).

Both perfumes are 'dusty' and grainy, as if you were smelling the heart of the flower through a box left in the attic for a few decades. By no means is this a bad thing, it's just unique thing if you are used to the in-your-face, no-mystery-here traditional florals. I.e, sweetpea is a more of a dry,earthy scent.

At the three hour mark this morphs into something very intoxicating. It rounds out into a fragrant, diffusive halo that has a slight sharpness to it. That would be the lime, btw, which is a brilliant addition here, as it keeps the dry down from getting too heavy.

Parting thoughts: i think this is more for the connoisseur; someone who's been walking off the beaten fragrant path for awhile and has acquired a taste for the more 'interesting' scents. This is just not a Britney Spears kind of floral. It is an Edith Piaf kind of floral. It is also a floral I will be adding to my collection.