Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

28 La Pausa by Chanel

This fragrance has been heavily reviewed on the top blog sites, which I read while wearing it myself.

They all state that this is a good, not ground-breaking, Iris fragrance in the middle of the Les Exclusifs Pack. Another theme I agree with is longevity; yep, you'll need a heavy, frequently recurring hand with this one.

Recently I bought myself a bouquet of iris, which is one of my favorite flowers. La Pausa is very true to the natural scent. The question is, do you mind smelling like your iris bouquet, or do you want a bit more excitement?

Because I love this scent I don't mind the linearity. I know the marketing blab states it is 'full of contrasts', but the only contrast here is the black cap and the clear bottle.

I htink this is a quality, conservative choice for springtime. Yes you'll have more exciting scents in your collection (for me that would be Apres L'ondee), but that is the only negative thing you could say about it.

Limony's avatar
    Limony

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

I love this, it really is like a second skin. The scent appears to appreciate your skin as you appreciate wearing it - like a strange cat sitting on your lap. I got a sample of Vrae Blonde at the same time, a lovely fragrance, but it didn't become a part of me in the same way.
    Rien smells of suede and hot rubber with no sweetness but no sourness either; I find some leathers sour. It is not, to my nose, animalic. I find one has to wear it boldly; too little and it smells as if you've recently been smoking pot. But if you put on enough it is definitely a perfume, complex and well-integrated.

Wilderness by Avon

As others have stated, rather harsh at first (though this only lasts a minute or two). This rather quickly turns into a delicious woody, musky, sweet scent. Not a night out on the town scent, rather more one to enjoy on oneself on an evening in. Lasts a good few hours on me. You can get it really cheap and I love it. Definite thumbs up!

Avon Uomo by Avon

I got lucky enough to find this on the cheap on Ebay.

Really lucky because from what I have found through google "shopping" or "product" searches is that they are hard to find even though Basenotes.com says it is Still In Production. And not as cheap as an Avon cologne might go for.

I can't find it on Avon's official website.

Let me cut to the chase............Antonio Puig's Quorum.............that's what you got here, at least according to my nose and brain.

I don't know how else to put it, potent, so take it easy on the spraying or splashing!

Just like a review on Quorum might say, mature and more than just a casual event.

So if you are having a hard time finding this Avon item, just go and get yourself Puig's QUORUM.

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Folks, before I start off; I have never purchased the actual cologne in an Eau de Toilette form. I have purchased the underarm deodorant stick, bar soap and the deodorant spray.

I was happy with the stick and bar of Everlast Original soap. These do not project though, at least on me. The deodorant spray in an 8.4 fl oz can though is awesome! Also, I want to add that I am amazed out how some basenoters can break down a scent, dissect it every which way and describe exactly what the immediate spray on, drydown and end note scents are. I can't, sorry; this is "flowery" but not emasculating.

The very first time I wore it, my sister came straight up to me and put her nose up to my upper chest/armpit area and took a big whiff and told me she was impressed. She is a very simple, down to earth person and has never, of what I can recall, complemented me on a scent like she did this one.

I know some of you might be hesitant to go out and try it out, especially if you just read my review on an aerosol scent. I know spray ons and the like of axe and tag have true lovers of scents rolling their eyes. I got to tell you though, I'm afraid to try the EDT for fear of being disappointed. This deodorant spray is great and projects but will not "force" itself on passerbys.

Best thing? It, to me, is a diamond in the rough. It is very inexpensive but smells like much more $$! And the deodorant spray lasts!

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

All I can pick up in this nice little scent is Vanilla Ice Cream with Hot Caramel on top!

Suh-weeeet!!, in a good way.

I've tried Avon's Black Sued Touch, Wild Country and I sort of get what people mean by the Avon "smell", sort of synthetic chemical.

Not this baby!
    It just smells so natural, like, "Where the heck is that McDonalds vanilla sundae with caramel topping at?"

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel hits the nose with a sturdy wall of bitter citrus and galbanum, a combination that is both green and undeniably masculine. Rapidly the violet leaf appears, lending a coolness to the powdery and semi-sweet violets that well up in its heart. After about three hours, this violet-tinged green begins to fade, leaving a brilliant moss in its wake. The whole affair is smooth, classy, and completely unexpected from a fragrance this inexpensive. Many fragrance blogs have commented on the viability of Grey Flannel as a super-expensive niche frag, and this is one of a few times where I agree with that correlation. Nothing smells cheap, perfumey, or dated. Grey Flannel is simply lovely stuff. Wear it if you look at what happened to men's fragrance in the '90s and naughts and wish those years never occurred. It's lucky that Grey Flannel survived, because it offers the perfect alternative to the bawdiness of life.

16 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 January, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Richard James by Richard James

Elegant, restrained, refined floral for men. This is a seamless blend of citrus, tea, herbs, spices, florals, suede, tobacco, oriental, and woody notes. Smooth and even in development. The top is fresh with a hint of herbs; the heart, floral and spicy; the base leather oriental. Overall, as near to chypre as such a wide-ranging palette can come. A pleasure to wear as a suave work scent or a well-tailored evening dress fragrance.

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Such an eternal delight this. One of the strongest scents ever; so be cautioned when applying. And it was overapplied by many when it first came out. However, it's a testament to how great a scent it is that people didn't reject it for that very reason; like say, Giorgio, which has all but disappeared. I think this may have even been more popular than the original. All that being said, Obsession for men is such a tangible thing it's almost like it's a physical being when you smell it. Almost a tactile thing, like being wrapped in a cashmere blanket, or putting on a suede coat, or slipping into the back of a Rolls Royce. Or savoring some exquisite chocolates from Belgium. Or dare I say, being ravished by an experienced older lover who really knows what they're doing. And Obsession for Men is probably not best worn during the warm months. It's own warmth is best brought out in the cold. It's too heavy for the Summer.
    Mr. Bob Slattery really created a masterpiece here. A true classic. Thanks Bob.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

To me this one is all about mint, it`s an exotic mint tea. I`ve being searching for a proeminent and different tea fragrance, and found in this one gold. Nomad Tea really opens with an herbal mint, and at this moment it conjures to my mind the smell of the mint leaves when you crushes it with your fingers and start to smell the green juice that they expel. Then, you notice really something more artificial on this mint as pointed out by other reviewers. I quite like it this fusion of nature and industry mint and it what makes this one stand out to me. It`s not only an herbal mint, it`s also a gum mint, a mouthwasher mint, a dentist mint, sort of a complex creature that stands out in its weirdness and cozyness. The sweetness in this one is supported by a lovely sugar accord that gives you an impression of sugar being burnt - is that moment when sugar has a burnt and a syrupy smell, something like caramel, syrup and liqueur - and matches perfectly the mint, accentuating the sweet smell of it and giving the mint a liquer side that i truly appreciate.
    I`m sad that this one got discontinued. If you like mint and want something fun, try this one.
    Score 9/10

Agnes's avatar
    Agnes
    England England

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

What a beautiful scent! After 1 hour on my skin is sweet rose and green tea. Could be a little too sweet for everyday but I love it !!

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Audace by Rochas

I can honestly say I'd never seen or heard anything about Rochas Audace before I randomly came across a bottle on eBay by looking at 'sellers other items'. A little research yielded minimal info but I found a mini that wasn't expensive so I took a chance on a random blind buy. Glad I did because I was impressed enough to pick up more of it (also not expensive).

Audace is a classic leather/floral chypre. Old school and fantastic. The PdT (which seems to be the most available concentration) is very dry, with a leathery/floral topnote accord and essentially no citrus. I get hints of jasmine and perhaps a touch of rose underneath the leather in the midnotes and healthy oakmoss base that presents itself almost immediately on application. To reference Audace with other fragrances you may know, imagine a cross between vintage Miss Dior EdT with vintage Caleche parfum and a hint of Diorling and you'd be pretty close to Audace. The EdC, being from the old school, is not a watered down version of the perfume but rather a fresher style of composition. The leather is a tad more subdued and the bergamot component of the chypre structure is noticeable in the topnotes. Sillage and longevity are good and the oakmoss base is untouched. The parfum version has a smoother leather note and the floral heart/base is particularly reminiscent of the floral accord in Caleche.

If you like vintage chypres you have to find yourself a bottle of Audace. Even if you're just new to vintage collecting and don't want to make a major investment in a bottle like Diorling you should consider giving Audace a try. Major thumbs up.

cathodera's avatar
    cathodera

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I received some Old School Youth Dew as a gift, many years ago, and I still have it.

I want to like it, it smells fabulous on some people, but unfortunately on me after about 5 minutes the only fragrance that meets the noses of those in my vicinity is vanilla, a scent of which I am not particularly fond (unless baked goods are involved).

On my sister-in-law, however, it morphs into a sort of a hanging lyric poem garden, and I would give her my bottle if she didn't have one.

So what I do is squirt visitors with it, and like Cinderella's slipper, one day, the Right Princess in Disguise will arrive, the Magic will happen, and I will present her with my bottle of Youth Dew.

I still have a couple of newly-grown-up nieces who haven't been squirted yet. I'm pinning all my hopes on them.

cleo cupcake's avatar
    cleo cupcake

Absolu by Rochas

I find this a very comfortable amber scent. It is rich and warm and makes me feel good but it's not complicated. It doesn't develop much or go anywhere particularly interesting - it just hangs around being comforting and lovely and some days that's all you need. Perfect for a cold grey day - or any time when you need an olfactory cuddle.

cleo cupcake's avatar
    cleo cupcake

Alien by Thierry Mugler

If you want a perfume with presence - the whole marching band - you can always rely on Mugler. After the hyper liquorice sweetness of Angel- which I love - we get this, where jasmine flowers are amplified to a giant scale Perhaps this is the alien element, something becoming bigger and more resonant when taken to an foreign environment - like innocous plants like privet hedging that when transplanted from Europe to Australia become giant pernicious weeds! After the overwhelming invading jasmine it dries down to a fabulous rich woody base - it's alien but it's gorgeous. I surrender.

Original Vetiver by Creed

A rather refreshing scent that leaves one smelling clean and not sour (vetiver has a sour note on skin). Better compared to Guerlain's Vetiver or Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. Way too pricey for a fragrance that leaves you smelling just like Ivory soap 2 housrs after application.

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

A nice take on pepper. Spicey, smokey and warm with very good longevity. Quite linear, just a pepper-vetiver interplay and nothing else but still, this one is the better juice among the 8 Hermessences line. There are lots of fragrances that use pepper but nothing comes close to the clarity of Poive Samarcande Leaning more on the masculine gender and well suited for a man who wants to make a simple but elegant statement.

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

Smells more like green mangoes than roses, in fact it's very similar to Un Jardin Sur Le NIl if one is to do a wrist test of both fragrances. They are both from Hermes. Anyone who uses Hermes fragrances and products knows that the Hermessences line costs 3 times more than the regular Hermes fragrances. There are lots of people who would be willing to pay the price but for those who want to save a lot, I would suggest to get Un Jardin Sur le Nil, instead of this one. No one can tell the difference which one you are wearing; trust me on this one. The savings you would get from getting Un Jardin is more than enough to buy a 100 ml of Terre d' Hermes which should be on everyone's list.

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Vetiver Tonka is the better juice if compared to Guerlain's vetiver, Tom Ford's grey vetiver, Dior's eau savage and Creed's original vetiver. However, Vetiver tonka doesn't last long on the skin (at least on my skin). This, being said, is too less of a good thing for a darn very expensive good thing. If the other fragrances could carry you throughout the day with a single application, with Vetiver Tonka you would need 3 or more applications during the day and this could finish your biggest bottle in a month's time. If Jean CLaude Elena could work on this longevity issue...then Vetiver Tonka could be the best of all the Hermessences.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Excellent take on green mango. Very refreshing and invigorating, can be worn any time of the year but best during summer. This is a very feminine scent and there is no way a man can pull this off. Similar to Rose Ikebana and costs a lot less. My wife and kids love this fragrance. 2 thumbs up!

Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse by Hermès

Other than celery and lavender, there's really not much going on around this creation except smelling like money for the first 30 minutes. And when I say money, I do not mean smelling like a rich person but literallly smelling like any legal tender it doesn't matter what denomination or what currency. One can test this by spraying the cologne on one's wrist and then pulling out money from your pocket...then compare the smell. The lavender note is mild and not perfumey which is a plus but this is way too pricey for something that doesn't last more than 2 hours. You will get the same effect with a dash of Johnson's baby powder.

mjcr's avatar
    mjcr

Cravache by Robert Piguet

I've never encountered the original Cravache which I understand is considerably better than this current formulation. Nonetheless I have to confess to enjoying this new Cravache very much. Its citrus all the way here and the vetiver/patchouli base really fleshes it all out. Its a very formal citrus indeed. This is not a carefree summer fragrance. It is indeed fresh and bracing but in a smart and slightly stiff way. Everyone talks about how the leather note has been removed and this seems to be the main gripe with this reformulation. Strangely, to my nose there is a definite soft leather note. Its subtle and very much in the background. It doesn't last though and eventually the patchouli becomes dominant with the lingering freshness of the vetiver remaining to the end.
    Overall this is a very masculine, formal citrus floral in my books. Not something I regularly reach for but it certainly earns its place in my wardrobe. Definitely one to try if you can find.

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

Eau de Réglisse by Caron

If you're going to try this i would first ask yourself a few questions: can you drink licorice tea without making a face? When leaving an Indian restaurant do you down a handful of that licorice stuff on your way out? How often do you buy licorice in general?

This is, at least to me, a difficult herb to deal with. i do like eating it, but drinking it and wearing it cause adverse reactions. this scent was a no for me; it was too irritating on my nose and I started to get a headache. i couldn't even wait it out to see what they dry down would be like.

Try before sampling, for sure.

Slane's avatar
    Slane

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I have tried so many perfumes that it makes my head spin! I'll find one and think this is the one, but a few days later the magic is gone. Not so with Aromatics Elixir. I've been using it for two weeks now (a record for me) and my love for it keeps growing. I didn't want to write a review until I was sure and now I am. I can honestly say I have never smelled anything like it. The negative reviews puzzle me but I am a one spray kind of guy so maybe that's the complaint most people have I can see where this could be overpowering if used to excess. I have had strangers tell me I smell fantastic and that's saying something as the british are not ones to say something like that to someone they don't know. I can see why women love this but it can easily be worn by a man. Oh my skin it is all about the rich scent of wood, incense, and spices it is so intoxicating. I would fancy this is what a vampire would smell like and I mean that in the best possible way. So while I'll continue to sample other frags AE is my one true love.

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Virgilio by Diptyque

Apparently this has been discontinued. Virgilio reminds me of Zirh Corduroy; in fact they smell extremely alike in their openings. I did the test with one on each arm prior to concluding this. Virgilio surpasses Corduroy in terms of longevity, but it is a skin scent for the most part. It projects about 2 inches off the skin when it's opening/beginning of middle. It stays much closer through most of the middle and the dry down, but has about average sillage.

What I actually get from Virgilio is like a greenish and very herbal concoction with some cinnamon.. maybe clove as well; it develops more into a light powdery vanilla. It doesn't project very well and doesn't have that same unique structure that Tam Dao and Philosykos have. It seems kind of expired, both smell and feeling wise. It's not by any means a bad smell though.

Is it worth it? Well.. considering this is now discontinued (going by what the Diptyque rep told me, as well as other sources) if you do find it, you may be springing for more than the usual prices, maybe even more than retail. To me.. Corduroy surpasses this, and is like a 20th of the price. However there are noticeable differences -- they may seem/feel like clones.. but my philosophy as it pertains to the world of fragrances is that "no two fragrances are identical". Virgilio is a less vibrant version of Corduroy but ONLY in the first 20 minutes or so are they really reminiscent of each other. Overall Virgilio being an EDT/cologne with the same alcohol concentration of any other EDT isn't even close to being worth 150-200 bucks.

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

Fresly cut green grass on a summer's day. Not soapy to my nose as others have stated. I would also say the sillage is below average as is the projection (not terrible, but I wish it wafted more). All in all, a good scent which would be made great by upping the projection a bit.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Minty, musky, woody goodness. I'm sure you already know what it smells like, it being ubiquitous. One of my all time favourites in EDT form.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Was let down by this. A run of the mill, citrus scent with hardly any originality at all. Smells only slightly different to me to Diesel's "Only The Brave", which was brought as a gift for me (and I'm not too keen on either). Not terrible, not impressive.

Versace Man by Versace

Initially peppery (with a hint of mint for me, although not listed). Long lasting but as others have said, minimal projection. You've got to be fairly close to smell it at all I find. Dries down to a smooth, sweet wood. I have to keep whiffing on this one as I find it very addictive. I usually go for fairly macho old school scents, so this is an alternative to my usual fare. Although fairly sweet, I do not find it as feminine as some others have stated here.

The only let down is the projection, still, a great scent due mainly to its individuality.

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

Fairly generic, fresh scent. I get a hint of cucumber or cactus leaping out in the top notes which is quite interesting, other than this, fairly generic, but wearable.