Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Fleurs de Gardenia by Creed

This fragrance is very floral and very feminine I disagree about it being unisex. Would be great on a lady though.

Love in Black by Creed

I did not like this one, it has a sweet tart accord. They missed the mark on this one.

Acqua Fiorentina by Creed

A nice floral aquatic and it smells so beautiful for a woman. Ladies that are reading you cannot go wrong with this fragrance and you could wear it everyday.

Mindphlux's avatar

Adidas Moves by Adidas

There are several Moves cologne from ADIDAS and this one is probably the best. Light and citrusy. This one is perfect for wearing to the gym or other physical activities. Longevity and projection are not very good but odds are you'll find this for 10 bucks or less so you can't really complain. Decent for what it is.

Mindphlux's avatar

Adidas Moves 0:01 by Adidas

Considering they sell this at gas stations you can't really expect much from it. Its a nice scent but longevity and projection are pretty bad. This is certainly a good example of cologne just to wear to the gym or something. I can't see anything wearing this to work or school and thinking of it as a signiture frag.

tamashek's avatar

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Wow, sharp and spicy at first application. Within about 15 minutes, it mellowed and was slightly powdery. This is when I find the grapefruit oil note a bit more noticeable on it's own. The dry down is not overly sharp, but clean and dry with the rose contributing a mellow sort of spice layered on top of the pepper and sage. I also really get the ambergris. I quite like this one. Very different than anything I own. Good sillage and lasting power for an EDT too. The only negative is the fragrance can be irritating to your nose due to the spicyness.

johnbarnone's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Wow! What a fragrance! I've been using this fragrance since 1966,wheneveryone else on my block was wearing Old Spice.Such a great one-of-a-kind fragrance that is perfectly balanced,and in no way could be improved upon.I suppose that's why it's been around for lo,these many years.(Since 1934!)

MOONB's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Caron created a true classic here, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it has survived for nearly 80 years. There seems to be a collective cognitive dissonance going on with men who try it though; I read on forums across the internet that its vanilla is too aggressive and sweet, and its lavender chemical and short-lived, yet men have been gravitating toward scents that boast these characteristics for decades. Never mind that Caron's vanilla is inedible and transparent, or its lavender hyper-realistic and persistent - Pour un Homme stands ground against a slew of lesser men's fragrances while boasting only two notes, and does so with a panache that, quite frankly, impresses me every time I wear it. Thierry Mugler's saccharine gourmands somehow get a pass, as do other atrocious scents (I'm looking at you, Le Male), but this gets poo-pooed? Please.

01st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2010)

epicurean's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

I've been familiar with many of the classic scents for years, with a posh aunt and my mom having worn No. 5, No. 19 & No. 22 at various times over the years. I remember those bottles and their contents, though I don't remember as a kid and teenager ever seeing a bottle labeled Cuir de Russie in our household. When I finally sampled it years later, though, I somehow "remembered" it. Not a surprise, really, what with Chanel's signature aldehydic glow being a common denominator. CdR really could only be a Chanel, and it is absolutely first-class all the way. Just like the Chanels listed above, CdR just smells posh and expensive without being over the top. A class-act all the way.

But posh or not, a friend and I while sampling it not too long ago couldn't help but think: "Bathroom!" Granted, a clean bathroom, but a bathoom nonetheless, and though clean there's something animalic about it. Is there civet in there? Esp. after about an hour or two, that warm ever so slightly fecal aspect is there, but it isn't unpleasant. This isn't meant to sound sacreligious; it's just a further facet of an already wildly multi-faceted, first-rate scent.

I'm not sure I'll be wearing CdR; a tad bit more leather and a bit less on the floral front would work better for me. But that opinion could change over time; I can actually imagine this one working well in warm weather, with that aldehydic glow working well on a sultry summer's evening.

01st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2010)

tonileefiore's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have recently been trying to expand my fragrance repertoire and along with my love for animalic-musk-resinous-spicy-"dirty" fragrances, I have realized that I like incense fragrances a lot, too. Having tried Etro Messe de Minuit, CDG Avignon, Heeley Cardinal, Biehl MB03 and Profumum Olibanum among others, I think L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer may just be the ticket for me!

As other reviewers have stated, due to it's mixture of white musk, chamomile and florals (lily), Passage d'Enfer does lose some of its true incense punch because as others have mentioned, the additional components and notes make this scent "much more feminine and subtle" (a direct BN quote) than all of the other incense fragrances I have tried...and that is precisely what I like about it! Yes, I imagine if you are a true "incense junkie," Passage d'Enfer will smell way watered down and too floral for you...those are the additions that make this fragrance stand apart from the others, I think!

And that is what I love about this fragrance. Having tried Passage d'Enfer recently after experimenting with the above named fragrances, Passage d'Enfer seems to suit me very well. Yes, I like the other incense fragrances a lot, too but for one reason or another, they just didn't feel quite right on me...I thought the other fragrances smelled too "masculine" on me and definitely a bit too church-y. With CDC Avignon, my husband said, "...the scent is okay...but do you really want to walk around all day smelling like a church?" I DID feel a bit odd wearing the other incense fragrances...something just didn't feel right.

I think Passage d'Enfer dries down nicely, I did not think it lost its "gothic" effect. I sprayed some on after showering about 7 hours ago and I can STILL smell it as I am typing this...I like the balance of sillage and longevity...perfect for me!

Unlike some of the other fragrances, Passage is available and affordable! Yes, I like this fragrance a lot and as soon as I can afford to do so, I think it will be an addition to my small fragrance wardrobe!

01st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 October, 2011)

tonileefiore's avatar

mb03 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

I recently tried a few samples of this fragrance based on Base Notes reviews and a few other sources. Because of what I am currently looking for in a scent, Biehls MB03 seemed like a good bet, albeit a very pricey one! After doing some research and listening to a few converts, Biehl MB03 seemed like an incense fragrance I might want to wear and own.

I couldn't wait to try this scent when the samples arrived. This is a nice enough fragrance and I like it a lot. Initially I felt rather disappointed after wearing MB03 a few times and overall, this scent left me with a big "HUH...I do not understand all the fuss!"

While I like this fragrance a lot, I did not find it to be terribly outstanding or unique. With all the P.R. and press about Biehl's "fragrance labs," etc, I guess I was expecting something truly original, outstanding and highly unique. Instead after wearing MB03 a few times, I found myself thinking, "Okay...this is nice enough but somehow, I just don't get it."

For me, the dry down of this fragrance turned a bit too powdery. I also kept detecting a prevalent note that just didn't sit right with me...a note that almost smelled a bit rancid or odd. Again, the dry down didn't seem to work well with my chemistry.

For the price, I did not think the longevity was good at all. Also, not enough sillage for my taste. I think if I have to drop $265 on 3.3 ml of an EDT, I'll stick with my beloved Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur. This is a beautiful scent but it just didn't quite cut it for me.

01st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2011)

stevolution's avatar

7 Sinful Scents: Lust by Gendarme

Bad boy scent for people with allergies. Not sweet at all. Hypo-allergenic musty crotch.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Djedi by Guerlain

In the top I get some hesperidic notes that havent withstood the passing of time very well, then, vaguely, a sharply green note that might be oakmoss or vetiver. Mostly, however, the scent is dry and smoky in a way that reminds me of the smell of wool. It feels dense and flat and muted - it stays very close to the skin with non-existent sillage and doesn't develop much over time either. It's like it never warms or blossoms on my skin. I'm sad to say it doesn't do much for me and although it was interesting to smell I'm not as sorry it's discontinued as a lot of people are. In the interest of dosclosure, though, I only have a tiny sample and it might be better sprayed.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

The reviews so far have been right on. Herbal green barbershop style, but so well blended no single note sticks out so much to overwhlem the other. It reminds me of Hugo Boss Sport with a little Kouros (the honey). This manages to be outright unique yet a perfect representation of the 70s. It is dated by today's standards, but as Chamelion points out, it will always be a classic. Would work perfectly well for a man in his 50s/60s. Good stuff, thumbs up for still getting darn good reviews after all these years.

Coach Leatherware by Coach

This is actually very nice, especially since I assumed it will be bad. SirSlarty is bang on. Dry lemons in the opening with a beautiful tea in the middle running the show right alongside the lemons. There is a little sweetness that I find palatable (just the right amount) and it does come off somewhat unique. The uniquness follows through to the dry down, a little lemon still lingering. At this point, there is an air of afluence about this fragrance.

It reminded me of Aramis Cool Blend but with more lemons. Cool Blend is very good, Coach even better. So I bought a bottle. Thumbs up for sheer elegance.
    02 May 2010

I tried this again in 100 degree weather, and the rush of dry lemons quickly gave way to something utterly familiar and lovely...couldn't place it then suddenly, BANG!
    If it is hot enough the heart of this gives way to a 95% immitation of the magnificent L'Air du Desert Marocain (sheer genius from Andy Tauer) without the subtle fecal note in Tauer. Good enough for me and glad to have it.

02 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2010)

Costume National Homme by Costume National

I am with Scentimus, CNH smells almost exactly like Salvatore Ferragamo PH. The exception is the use of vanilla in CNH, which makes it far more wearable. The spices sombine to form an incense like affair but well tempered with vanilla. I give it a thumbs up. I rellay wanted to like SFPH, but something about it made it too difficult to like (too one dimensional?) CNH on the other hand I can wear all day. Thumbs up.

Amadaeus's avatar

Scotland Scotland

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I purchased this at the airport after not packing any scent. What a mistake!

If I didn't shower for a month I'd have still smelled better that this. My worst scent purchase ever. I gave it away to someone at work who I didn't like.

chorando's avatar

Eau de Réglisse by Caron

Eau de Reglisse has such an inviting and moreish opening with its bright blast of lemon and coffee. After the initial hit it becomes rounded and soft like lemon shortbread and a cappucino. The anise is quite light and seems to highlight the other notes. This is a feel good scent and though not conventionally gourmand does appeal to the salivary glands. It's heart is beautiful yet somewhat subdued. The warmth of the ginger coupled with the licorice seem to sit lightly on a sweet woody vanilla base and unfortunately slip by a little too quickly - around and hour on my skin. Eau de Reglisse has good longevity but the transition from top to bottom is a little quick. It isn't created in the same mould as previous creations from Caron. It has a lightness of touch and really doesn't demand too much from it's wearer or those around. That said, it is a beautiful and unique scent and one to lift the mood, so a big thumbs up.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Sport Jil Sander for Men by Jil Sander

One of the reasons I write reviews is so that others don't have to make the same mistakes I have. Well, buying this fragrance blind was a mistake.

This is not a fragrance I would deem noteworthy in any way: not its smell, longevity, sillage, or any other characteristic that makes a scent worth exploring. Its quite simply fragrant water, both limp and transparent. Yes it has a citrus top, peppery middle, and wood base, but it manages to smell like almost nothing at all, and no number of sprays is too many with this one. Seriously do yourself a favor, and just keep on looking cause there's nothing much to see here. Order it and sold it on the 'bay within days.

AromaX's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Antihéros by Etat Libre d'Orange

In the begin lavendel is accompanied with a cool breeze, later in the hart it’s aromatic and in the base it is mossy-woody. But all the way long it’s just about lavender from top to base. Rustic and nonchalant. Smells like a lavender soap, but gives rather a clean and groomed impression. It smells simple, but not cheap on my skin. To me it’s a perfect perfume for a lazy Sunday or on vacation somewhere in South France – it gives a relaxed feeling when nothing has to be done and all the time is free for whatever you’d like to do. Rustic, peaceful and nonchalant. On the other hand I also think it would be a good perfume to wear in the office – clean impression, soft and helps to keep your head cool. So, if you like lavender than it's a nice one to try. It's more powerful and crispy than Lavender from Yardley. And it's less sweet than lavender's by Caron. But if you don't like lavender - well - you might smell an old lady as other reviews mention :o).

Theasylph's avatar

Volo AZ 686 by Profumum

It's true. This smells like the high pitch screech of an industrial cleaner used to clean the bathrooms of a high school gym locker. Pee-U. Someone else likened it to a urinal cake. mmm unsettling, linear and then powdery urinal cake. I waited around for this initial unpleasantness to fade, but it didn't. So instead of what some magical unicorn and tropics kind experience - coconut, vanilla, and gardenia - I get pee pee cake.

Smeghead's avatar

Philosykos by Diptyque

After trying Creed's Virgin Island Water, I became intrigued by coconut/fig scents, so I started my journey. First came Marc Jacobs for Men, which on first impression seemed nice, but after some thought I realised it was linear, too powdery and just smelt overwhelmingly of figs. Second came Acqua Di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi, and while it was better than Marc Jacobs, being more citrusy and fresh, it still just smelt overwhelmingly of figs. I started to become tired of this "genre".

Then I tried Philosykos. Wow, what a nice change! It opens with an incredibly strong leaf and earth smell, with the fig just in the background rather than a prominent feature. It reminds me exactly of a WET fig or coconut tree. Very very unique from the same old powdery rubbish I was experiencing before.

In the mid notes, the earth and leaf smells die down, but really there's not too much change throughout the progression of the fragrance.

However, despite the uniqueness, I just can't imagine wanting to SMELL like wet leaves all day, no matter the weather or situation.

Linearity (low is bad) - 2/5
    Projection - 3/5
    Longevity - 3/5
    Smell - 3/5
    Overall rating - 3/5

Smeghead's avatar

Mat; Male by Masakï Matsushïma

Malt;Male is a very casual fragrance in my opinion, suitable for the warmer spring and summer day wear and not much else. It has this strange quality that my inexperienced nose just can't pinpoint. It's most likely the parsley, but either way, it seems incredibly herbal and almost medicinal in the opening, with a little mint and citrus to give an intriguing fresh opening.

As it develops, it becomes more mellow and sweet, and you start to get a bit of that tea and the melon. Unfortunately I don't get much after that, which is a shame because I actually really enjoy the middle notes, but after this is just dissipates into nothing.

Which takes me on to the longevity. I get absolutely awful longevity. I think possibly the worst of anything I've tried on my skin. It lasts for about 2-3 hours before fading into the background, with you having to put your nose right up against the skin to smell the faintest of smells.

Linearity - 3/5
    Longevity - 2/5
    Projection - 3/5
    Versatility - 2/5
    Smell - 3/5
    Overall rating - 2/5

A somewhat unique hot day fragrance, but the incredibly poor longevity and not many situations to wear this make me pass on a full bottle.

urfliness's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I don't understand why people complain about having the same things as everyone else.Let's face it if you don't shell out the $ you pretty much garunteed to wear what evryone else does.iit's a matter of hiw much you spend that detrmines exclusivity.With that being said. Adg is a phenomenal frag, fresh and good for any occasion.

urfliness's avatar

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Love this stuff.I I hate the fact that it doesn't last very long(as with most frags).However I do love the fact that you can spray pretty liberaly and it's highly unlikely that you'll offend anyone.The burst of citrus at the begining goes away way to fast in my opinion.The dry down it's quick,but hey it's Lacoste orig. so who cares.

shamu1's avatar

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

I love Agua Brava. It is a quintessential Mediterranean cologne: bright, sunny, woody, with a shot of pine. It is very green and herbal. What I like most are the prominent dry wood and pine notes, which give this scent some bite and a lot more staying power than most eaux de cologne.

If you've never smelled this, the best way I can describe Agua Brava is this: take a typical classic eau de cologne (4711, e.g.), add more herbs like basil and rosemary, and add to that a big dose of freshly cut wood smell and pine needles, and you've basically got Agua Brava. It projects very well and has excellent longevity - about 5 hours - for an eau de cologne.

I hear lots of comments about this smelling like soup. I can't say I smell soup here, but this is a very herbal scent, and I would assume that AB contains some herbs that are often used in Spanish cooking.

Agua Brava is a must-own scent for any fan of wood and herbal scents. This is a truly great fragrance that deserves way more attention than it gets. I literally cannot think of a single aspect of this fragrance that I don't love. Bravo!

MY RATING IS: 10/10

02 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2010)

Hartman Design's avatar

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Ho hum fragrance that aspires to nothing and somehow manages to fall short of that unambitious mark. Vaguely floral, musky and herbal but not strongly evocative of any scent, it hovers close to the skin for one or two hours before dissipating into bored yawns. Certainly inoffensive for office wear, but a waste of money for anyone who wears cologne to add spice to their lives, as there's absolutely nothing here to engage the senses.

JimHeckel's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

This should be called 'New Jersey Guido'. Strong, macho, and in your face. Very powerful, very leathery, and macho enough to make Chuck Norris look like Mr Sweetchuck.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Vanithé by Nez à Nez

Not quite sure what to make of this. VANITHE opens with a little verbena that dissipates all too quickly with the arrival of smoky tea leaves. At this point I was reminded somewhat of Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume except that the sillage is subdued and flat, with a lingering note of woodsmoke over a mildly sweet base. Nothing fruity about it at all. It may be a little rough around the edges but after 20 minutes it settles down to a pleasant, close-wearing scent I'd probably enjoy smelling on a woman.

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is so nice, smooth, masculine and elegant. A complex fragrance of a simple man, this is how I see it. It starts off smelling like a Hospital or some sort of medicine, but that only last 20 minutes (thank god) and it develops into a nice sweet, woody heart (almost identical to Creed's Himalaya heartnote and Egoiste drydown) which you'll love because it projects and has more longevity than Himalaya.

It is clean but also mysterious, and the thing about these kind of fragrances is that women go crazy about them. I spray this 45 minutes before leaving the house and lasts 8-10 hours on my skin ( I wouldn't want it any other way )

Versatility : 10/10. This can be appropriate in any condition, weather, occasion, you name it. It can be casual as well it can be seductive.

Age: 19+. This is the kind of fragrance that sends a message: "I'm a real man, a gentleman, I have class and style" , this would sound a bit goofy from the mouth (skin) of a teenager.

Spraying: 2 on the neck's pulse-points, 1 chest, 1 wrist + tap the other wrist on it.

I don't see this as 'The poor man's Himalaya', I'd rather call Himalaya : the unpacient man's Paco Rabanne XS.

RATING: