Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

obscura's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Vetiver Tonka is like an artsy split-screen romantic comedy without the happy ending. For the length of the film you watch as the two would-be lovers' paths constantly cross, but they never meet. In VT, the cool, clean vetiver and the warm, caramel tonka remain parallel from beginning to end, maintaining a feeling of suspense all the way to the drydown. There is no overtly happy ending here, but I still love this fragrance. VT is an example of my favorite kind of art--though ultimately inconclusive, it keeps my attention the whole way through.

obscura's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Infusion d'Iris strikes me as a subtle, translucent woody fragrance with floral nuances. It only hints at iris, but captures the feeling of a cool shade of gray. It never shouts or shimmers, but remains on my skin like a gentle cloak of satin for hours. Though it is neither exciting nor particularly interesting, I find myself drawn to it. I agree with my wife that it makes a wonderful masculine; she says it is what she always wished men's bodies smelled like....

LuxGuardian's avatar

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Power and grace personified. This cologne exudes a mountain of sexual tension to the olfactories of those who encounter it every time. Nothing prepared me for the tremendous accolades I would get when I discovered this timeless formula in England in 1986. I have held him close to me ever since. A superb combination from one of the world's greatest innovators. I will forever raise a glass to my champion Gianni!

Primrose's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

I am a huge fan of leather scents, so--lured by the thought of a luxe leather scent--I ventured to try. I was not disappointed and was delighted.
    As many concur here, it is a wonderful chypre. The top notes are a bit strident to my nose, so wait for the drydown for the more floral middle notes. I usu. prefer a bit of sweetness in my Guerlains (Shalimar and Habit Rouge), but was pleasantly delighted with Derby. It is sure to be something unique and not worn by everyone.
    It has longevity but not overpowering sillage. One word comes to mind with Derby: gentlemanly refinement.

17 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2011)

Primrose's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge (the EDT) is a classic--purely and simply. Althought the newest formulation is more citrusy and leathery than earlier incarnations, it is beautiful and understated elegance with its vanilla base. It is pleasant, yet not overpowering. You can wear this in the workplace, to a social outing, and even in casual situations. I wear this when I stay at home all day.

If you can, also try the eau de parfum Habit Rouge with its addition of agarwood. It adds more oriental vibe to the composition. The extrait is also wonderful if you can find it.

17 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2011)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Grapefruits and Rose Water! This is all fun, smiles and refreshment. Great for summer. Very pleasant. How could anyone not like this? This is not serious citrus grapefruit because the rose warms it up so well. Light dry wood base under the rose. This is not a serious rose scent because the grapefruit is strong enough to keep the light breakfast in the garden attitude. Perfect for spring and summer as refreshing cologne.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

Hermes Gentiane Blanche is a mildly bitter, to-the-point, asertive but polite green scent. This is very pleasantly green and then quickly transitions into a light green musk air - the whole thing is transparent and light. It smells like a very unsweet eau de cologne created to appeal to city dewellers who would rather be living off the grid . . . or libertarians. The green bitterness evaporates into an airy light musk scent. I use it as eau de "uncologne".

Gentian is a scrubby small alpine flower that is mildly bitter and green. Gentian root is used in making bitters and to add seriousness to medicinal liquors. I like the "out of the box" thinking by Jean Claude Ellena to create a crisp green cologne from this very serious little plant - flower and root. Its not for everyone but I like it.

colormechris's avatar

Navigator by Dana

An okay bright green scent that's better than your average cheapie. In fact, most Dana offerings are better than your average at that price point. But Navigator is missing something. Ironically, the scent loses its way during the drydown and what was so promising in the topnotes is a lost cause. It needs a better base, so in that sense, a little layering wouldn't hurt it. It's rather all purpose as it is, so it would probably mingle well with anything you chose to combine it with. Powdery, leathery, lavender...amber would be great. I don't see why anything wouldn't work. Experiment. You just might hit on something great.

HDS1963's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I'm still standing here waiting to be blown away by this. But since no such gusts of amazement have yet struck me, I can only conclude that I don't rate this that highly.

I can't shift Guerlain's Vetiver from my olfactory memory as I wear this. It's like an inbred cousin with a few genetic twists to distance it from Guerlain's classic.

What I find inescapably odd about this fragrance is a kind of rubbery note in the head and heart notes which gets in the way of me enjoying this as much as I perhaps would. But this is only perceptible when the nose is brought two a couple of inches from the skin, but nonetheless it's there.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this has been dubbed "Grey". Green would have been more apposite as it is undoubtedly a fresh green interpretation of Vetiver.

I lasts though, boy does this one have staying power. Do I like it enough to buy it? No. Do I hate it? No. It floats in that sea of fragrances which I wanted to like more, but just didn't.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

O my this was a great buy! I have not smelled anyone wearing Escada Homme in a very long time, so I thought I would give it a go. I remember it smelling of an elegant man who has class, morals, intelligence & value! Its smells of an upper class gentelman who walks with his head high! It also smells of a man around the age 40+! Now im in my late 20's but I can pull this off! It is superb!!!! Would be best worn in the cold seasons & rainy days! I will only pull this out for gatherings such as church,meetings or even on a date. The first initial blast I must say it is very unpleasant, smells of urine to me. After about 10 minutes it revolves into a priceless masterpiece with the cognac & mandarin becoming more potent to my nose! There is a breeze out doors & I get a nice whiff of Escada Homme & cant keep from sniffing my hand! & I got this gift set at a terrific deal! The cologne 2.5 oz & the shower gel 5.1 oz for $30! Boy was I pleased!

Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

There seems to be no pomegranate in this fragrance and I am not sure whether I should be happy with relief ( because I am not sure about pomegranate in perfume ! ) or displeased .
    Immediately perufmey and soapy,turning slightly powdery. Very classical perfumeactually. Strong, long lasting.
    This smells like a cross between Hermes' Caleche Soie de Parfum and Chanel No.5 . But more towards Caleche.
    Good stuff.

Caprifoglio by Santa Maria Novella

Oh My Word. THIS is the honeysuckle soliflore I have been searching for ! This is like the honeysuckle of Jo Malone's Honeysuckle and Jasmine MINUS the annoying jasmine. You *must* love the greenish sweet floral scent of honeysuckle to appreciate this scent. Delicately sweet and green. Beautiful .

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

Quite a powerful whammy of a start to this patchouli . It's a beautiful perfume, leans more towards masculine to me . It lasts forever on my skin. Strong ,slightly sweet to start,somewhat perfumey ,very full bodied. I am not a patchouli person but I can at least stand this one compared to Montale's Patchouli Leaves.

greeneyes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I simply love this smell it's my all time favorite and one that gets lots of compliment either..
    I do get a lot of lavender and wood and some smoke towards the end..Just last for days also.
    So if you are tired of the too sweet too fruity(mellon)scents that are out there on the mainstream market you should really give this one a try.
    Great in warmer and in cooler weather.
    Can't imagine annymore that I turned it down the first time I tried it myself I loved it on a colleague of mine but on me I hated it at first..So that was one lesson learned never give up at the firts try..

msleslie's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

This is so pretty, and a classic. Sorry others are having a bad time with it, and that truly surprises me. It IS strong, but with the right, light touch it is a lovely, bright rose with violet.

epicurean's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

This is a nice scent in the peppery/smoky/musky genre which I enjoyed wearing for a while, though I ended up wishing it had been done with more subtlety; it can come across as a bull in a china shop, announcing your arrival way too soon. Alas, my wish has come true as regards more subtlety: All you have to do is get Timbuktu and you've got a more pleasant version of CDG 2. That's why this gets just 4 of 5 stars, whereas Timbuktu deserves 5.

Fleurissimo by Creed

Regal, queenly, linear. Commands respect for the lady wearing it. Quite dated though, but will definitely stand out and assert amidst all the Pradas of today.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Pleasant can not be used as an adjective to describe this and neither the word stench or stinky. Sexy? Yes, very sexy indeed, in fact too sexy-- it screams sex and all the juices that flows while having sex (sweat, saliva, semen, B.O.). Brilliant creation if the intent was for the sole purpose of capturing all these sexual secretions and letting it dry on the skin. Would one show up in the office post coital without taking a shower? If you can do that then you can wear Eau d' Hermes in the workplace and perhaps people will think you don't care. Unisex indeed, because it smells a lot like a man's genitalia and a woman's crotch...that's why the pinesol aroma is there (or is it really Pinesol in there)...to disinfect. Hey, don't get me wrong, I am not trashing this one, in fact it's 2 thumbs up because I am really turned on by this juice. A good collector's item and a wearable one too...but choose the ocassion.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Minced garlic spread on a urinal cake. Disturbing and overpowering when over applied, yet sexy and sublime at the right dose (2 squirts the most --spread on a wider body surface like the torso that will be covered with clothing). And no, not the neck, nape or behind the ears...that will annoy anyone in close proximity. Worth collecting, nothing else today smell like this. If you like sandalwood and incense...then this is the juice for you.

Love In White by Creed

Elegant perfume in a virginal white bottle. Should be on every woman's top list. Arguably the best of Creed's women's line...modern, virile, yet pure. Hardly you would come across someone wearing this as everyday scent but you could very well do that if you can afford the price. This is appropriate in any ocassion. The vanilla marries well with rice husk and magnolia. Bellissimo!

QiStar's avatar

Lentisque by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

I want to love this scent, because I can smell the basis for something wonderful. The fragrance strength is so weak though that I have to fight to distinguish the notes, and then fight to smell it at all in just an hour. So sad. What I do smell when I can is lovely though.

mjcr's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I have no idea what the pencil shavings reference so many fellow reviewers are mentioning means. Clearly at my school we had different kind of pencils. To my nose I very clearly get the pepper and ginger opening which lasts and lasts. Then soon after its wood all the way surrounded by amber and vetiver. Lastly the leather comes through. All in all feels very well crafted. I like this Gucci for its immaculate design from top to bottom. I love the retro yet modern feel of the whole package from the 70s black & white box to the strong lines and thick glass of the bottle which oozes masculinity. The fragrance itself feels 'old skool' in an ironic, self-aware way. Its Tom Ford giving us a postmodern wink. I have no idea if there are any scents from the 1970s that actually smell like this but Gucci Pour Homme does its best to make you think that there probably were yet I doubt many of them smelt as good as this.
    On my skin it is very strong and one spray to the chest lasts for hours. I couldn't wear this to the office. Its a sexy Friday night on the town fragrance that seems most at home in a disco at 2am. It evokes illusions of Miami Vice and Scarface. It has that kind of brash utterly self-confident feel. If Al Pacino in Carlito's Way wears Armani Eau Pour Homme during the day, he'd wear this down at his club in the evening. Its a throwback to an era that in truth probably only existed in the movies and on TV. And I love it for that.

BayKAT's avatar

Chamarré by Mona di Orio

Mona di Orio is the Lada Gaga of fragrances. You'll sniff at her creations and think "that's odd, but I'm kind of drawn to it out of morbid curiousity to see what it will do next."

This is my third scent from this line, and I can now understand why it was a hard sell. These just don't open favorably. This one I applied heavily to my wrists and not so heavily to my decollete. I soon started sneezing and thought 'this just stinks'. The opening is somewhere between dusty and carboard fragranced by a bland floral.

The middle phase lightens up and becomes warmer, and makes for an OK skin scent; but still holds on to that cardboard note. I can't believe i'm goign to say this, because i'm not a floral person, but I ish this was a bit 'sweeter'.

Oiro remains my favorite from this line, and I would say Chamarre is better than Jabu to my nose.

Kerosene's avatar

Curve Connect for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is just a pleasant fragrance to wear and you can find it dirt cheap, usually around $15 for a 4.2oz bottle. It's slightly sweet with a hint of floral and woods. Definitely for casual wear.

50_Roses's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

This perfume is absolutely wonderful. I consider this my Holy Grail of orientals. Every other perfume in this category seems to pale in comparison to Vol de Nuit. It is smooth, warm, dark, rich, and sensual from the initial moments through the long drydown, and it lasts for hours. Someone mentioned aldehydes, which I do not find objectionable, but I do not smell any in Vol de Nuit. (I believe the Guerlain fragrance which was meant to compete with Chanel no. 5 is Liu--it is an aldehylic floral.)

There are many perfumes I like, but this is one of only a handful that have affected me so strongly that I HAD to own them. It is also one of a very few which I own in extrait. Usually the price of extrait deters me from buying, however much I would like to, but this one I had to buy! If I could rate this two thumbs up I would.

jelliebeans's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

I was very keen to try this scent after reading so much about it. But I have to say I was slightly disappointed.

It opens and sticks with an overwhelming blast of sweet rose with a tiny bit of the bitter, medicinal smell of oud, but that part disappears very quickly. It felt as though I'd been dipped in a unsophisticated patchouli/rose/musk combination - and unfortunately, on me, it just smells like a cheap sort of drugstore, Bodyshop scent.

I suspect this is my odd body chemistry though as the legendary sillage doesn't appear to work for me either. Four hours after a couple of sprays and it had disappeared completely. Wasn't sorry to see it go though.

I just found it dull and uninteresting - rose/musk clearly isn't for me.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This scent is like a deep sea that invites you: swim, dive in, you will not regret it. This scent is not heavy, but yet it not as light and of course, it has depth and complexity. One of best aquatic scents ever. It is obvious that Acqua di Gio was a muse for this one, AdG has more of a fruity aura unlike Bvlgari Aqua.

18 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2010)

Halo's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A beautiful longlasting masterpiece.
    It is manly but not in the macho 80s powerhose way. It is a refined powerful leathery frag.
    At first it assaults the senses with a blast of iris and bitter green citrus. But it settles down (not softens) to a beautiful vetiver-patchuly-leather combo that is bewitchingly outstanding. It projects an aura of elegance and sophistacated manliness.
    I know that iris is not listed but I find it prominent. It is soft and dusty.
    Then it behaves kinda linear till it finishes with a patchuli-vetiver base.
    It last 18 hs on my skin and projects strongly for more than 8 hs.
    According to the notes it seems to be a common place macho scent, but it is not even close to anything I have already smelled. The colsest thing I can imagine is like mix of Habit Rouge middle notes (no vanilla) with Chanel No 19 whitout the aldehydes....
    There is a particular note in it that reminds me of trans-nonenal, a molecule responsible of some dry-fresh-woody aromas in oak aged wines.

19 May, 2010

Halo's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

WOW. Something familiar yet different. It is like smelling a non-descript flower. A new flower that has been recently discovered in a crazy landscape.
    Maybe a flower that grows in Tim Burton´s Underland smell this way.
    It is sharp, metalic, spicy, sweet and plasticky but not animallic. I don´t sense very much the indoles (as lot of people seem to do) I get white flowers, decaying petals, metallic incense (similar to that found in Nu edp).
    It starts sweet and tart, like a mixture of bergamot leaves and Jasmine with a very spicy peppery edge. This is an incredibly different accord that I find very attractive.
    Then a littler leather (suede like), white flowers bouquet and hints of vanilla and metatalic incense. Later on, the base is strong vanilla and some incense and flowers.
    The final stage reminds me of Kenzo Amour.
    I find a clear cinnamon accord, but not a typical cinnamon bark. It smells exactly like cinnamon candies, more precisely Altoids.
    This is a very complex everchanging blend, long lasting (8+ hs) that proyects a lot during the first hour and then quiets down.

19 May, 2010

Sugandaraja's avatar

Parure by Guerlain

Please delete this review - I had my samples mixed up! Sorry Parure.

19 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2010)