Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang

A soothing sweet patchouli that is quite dirty at times. Strong patchouli but not over the top as it is toned down by musks and tonka bean. It's not a warm patchouli but a cool and soft version. Slight downside it it seems that it's a little short lived. Really good patchouli scent with the volume turned down.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

To me this is a scent from the past & even tho it was created in 1992 it smells older than that. I would compare Escada Homme to this & I much prefer Escada Homme over this. Both are of an old school feel yet IMO, Escada is superior in smell & class! Safari has good longevity & last a long time 6+ hours. But im not fond of that spice smell I get from this. It has a nice bottle if you collect such things, but the juice is a no go for me. Im not a fan of Polo's scents & there is a reason for that, they just dont appeal to my taste.

Tony T's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

BEAUTIFUL FLORAL/AQUA/ DAYTIME SCENT. very original and a pick me up kinda scent. very natural in the same realms of silver mountain water and geir ness.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Rose Barbare by Guerlain

This is a beautiful rose chypre .Rich and rounded with the honey and apchouli which comes across as slightly earhthy and almost a leather note on my skin. Slightly sweet on me ,much better than Idylle.

Nihilist's avatar

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

got this for a very good price late last year, i suppose for it being out of season. this is the 2009 version.

the initial blast is a strange cross of citrus with paper mache. i was taken back to the times of kindergarten, fresh off the floor from a nap. all jokes aside, the citrus dominates but i cant help but think the mache was added to create an impression of dryness like a homme de gres, and in that it entirely fails. does it smell bad or bland? not at all. as a matter of fact, i wore this exclusivly for weeks after i got it, quite rare when your wardrobe is forty (40) deep.

longevity is more than comparative to other scents with a similar dominate note, so this is not a weak scent even among the citrus types.

the next distinct note is....rose? actually strong rose water, but not the "wave accord" note in cool water. its not the type to make people wonder which side of the plate youre swinging from, in case youre concerned. its actually pleasent and lasts, which is leaving me to wonder why the longevity is knocked, unless people arent realizing thats the next note in play.

i personally like it, all the way around. not a category winner but different and useful. try before you buy, to be safe.

shamu1's avatar

Hoggar by Yves Rocher

Hoggar is a reference masculine oriental fragrance for me, the kind I'd have someone smell if he wanted to know what an oriental fragrance smelled like. It's warm, spicy, woody and mildly sweet with its amber base, good to wear all year long because it's not a heavy or overly sweet scent. It's dry and transparent enough to wear in the heat of summer, but spicy and rich enough to warm your heart in the dead of winter. What I like most about Hoggar is its woodiness and a bit of an almondy smell underlying everything. I must respectfully disagree with foetidus' comment about Hoggar smelling synthetic; I find Hoggar to be very natural smelling, in large part because of how well balanced and blended this is.

The only negative thing I can say about this is that it's not particularly inspired or unique, though I can't point to one single fragrance that it's similar to. Hoggar is simply an excellent oriental masculine that just smells great, with excellent all-day longevity and good sillage. It's not some raging powerhouse by any means, but rather a classy, tasteful and rich scent that represents excellent value for your dollar. Another really good release from Yves Rocher..

MY RATING: 8/10

pansylady's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

This fragrance certainly brings a high level of expectation, with so many rhapsodic reviews... I have just begun to explore it's depths, so these are first impressions:

I'm initially put off by the sharp top notes- but there's something oddly appealing about the slightly medicinal (calamine lotion) yet somehow warm vanilla/violet mid and basenotes-

It's funny, but I have picked up this calamine lotion vibe from a few other scents- La Chasse aux Papillons by L'Artisan, Today by Avon, and L'Heure Bleue- I wish I could identify the source...

B.I.G.'s avatar

Moldova Moldova

Moods Uomo by Krizia

The fragrance starts with a LAVENDER OVERLOAD/BURST, literally!, thus quickly settling down. Next up, the aldehyde notes linger here and there, accompanied by an intense slightly bitter note (i still can't figure out what it is, maybe ginger and pimento). I can clearly smell the patchouli base, which reminds me of the one in Fendi Uomo, but not as strong. In Moods' case this is a dark and tender patchouli, accompanied my oakmoss and leather. Somehow the base turns a bit dense, as in oily, but not completely. Yet, there is something emanating from this suave "darkness", call it spiciness, almost minty. I think Moods would work the best during cold November/December/January nights.

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

Liù by Guerlain

On me Liu is identical to No5. There's not a lot else I can say, other than I like it!

BayKAT's avatar

Charmes et Feuilles by Different Company

In reading the reviewers before me I see all are men except one. Ladies, don't be afraid to step up and try this one; it's very warm and fresh.

I love this, actually. i did't think I would because I've sampled other scents with garden herb notes, but wow, this one really works for me. I agree wiht all the descriptions below, particularly Foetidus' review. What I would add is that with my feminine chemistry this becomes warm and sweet; more floral than herbal.

This is Mitsouko like without the contrasting chypre base. Same effect, though- you'll walk around with your nose glued to your wrist. I'd really like to try this in pure parfum; as the sillage could be better. Six stars!

Persolaise's avatar

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

What's the smell of the modern dandy? Does a metrosexual wear one of the generic woody cocktails that flood the market at the rate of twenty a week? Does he scour unfamiliar stores for something dark, heady and balsamic? Or does he actually wish to convey a sense of approachable freshness whilst maintaining his edge? Enter stage left: Geranium Pour Monsieur, recent winner of the first UK FiFi 'Best Independent Niche Fragrance' award, as voted for by readers of Basenotes, including yours truly.

What's remarkable about this scent is how it manages to be both radiant and nocturnal, animalic and fresh, unobtrusive and all-encompassing. Needless to say, its central note is a rousing geranium, with all the familiar minty, peppery, chewing gum overtones. But a eucalyptus smokiness emerges too, coaxed into smoothness by joyfully coloured fruitiness. The effect is delectable without ever being edible, and is sustained with unwavering clarity throughout this happy little gem's development. And it's no coincidence that it's called 'Pour Monsieur' rather than 'Pour Homme': you need a certain amount of good-natured continental sass to pull this one off with the jauntiness it deserves.

[Review based on a sample obtained in 2010; fragrance tested on skin.]

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

Very feminine and sophisticated. It's like opening a bottle of spring. I adore it. I am fair skinned so I do have to apply it mid-day, but I do most perfumes.

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

It' is my warm weather friend.

Realm Women by Realm Fragrances

I love Realm. It's warm, spicy honeyed comfort.

Yendi by Roberto Capucci

Green, sexy, powdery..little bit spicy. I wish they would bring it back. I think if they put it on the market today it would be the new thing. I feel like a hoarder with my last bottle, all sneaky and smug.

Rush by Gucci

This is definitely a one-dimensional frag: loud Gardenia, heavy musk and a dry patchouli dominate. I tried it at a tester counter while out at an appointment, seduced by Luca Turin's positive review. I initially liked Rush's creaminess, but as time wore on, it just got too sexy, too cloying. Obsession's younger bossier sister.

This is a time and place scent. I think the time is 2am, and the place would be a high class meatmarket-type venue. I felt I had to scrub this off before going into the office, and I work in a very casual, open-minded environment.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

After the metallic wood top notes burn off, I've got to say, this is the scent I wish I smelled like naturally. It's absolutely sunshine in a bottle.

I love fig, but I have to say, I don't know if I smell too much of it in here. I get a bit of lavender and rosemary, something like fresh dry hay, and clean earthy warmness.

Sadly, as other reviewers have mentioned, this wears so extremely close to the skin its nearly non-existent. Even if you spray it on hair and clothes, it wears away much too quickly. I'd love to know if anyone knows of any similar frags to this, or knows how to make scent linger. This is almost my HG. It really is incredible, while it lasts.

Clean Ultimate by Clean

Rather aggressive freshness! One may be inclined to wonder what this smell is trying to cover.

Methinks you could get the same effect by using extra fabric softener in the laundry. I don't mind this frag, but my boyfriend detected something unpleasantly solvent in it. I'd recommend wearing it with caution -- many people have sensitivities to the smell of fabric softener. Anyway, ultimately, there's nothing too special about Clean Ultimate.

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

I loved this, but then I can't get enough of sandalwood and rose whether they be alone, featured in other frags, or happily merged together.

10 Corso Como didn't change too much on my skin after the first 20 mintues, just stayed a cuddly warm dry rosy sandalwood. However, the incense occasionally peeks out, as does the clean medicinal halo of what I guess is the agarwood.

Lovely! But hard to find. Anyone know who carries this in Canada?

Aliana's avatar

Hypnôse by Lancôme

I've had this perfume for about 2 years now. It is definitely one of my favorites. I enjoy wearing it any time of the day and for any occasions. And the bottle is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's perfect. I wouldn't want to change a thing about it. I'm going to buy myself another bottle when this one will be over.

Feoil's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A friend of mine was having tea in a cafe nestled in a small village in the Wicklow mountains in Ireland.
    As she bit into her raspberry jam slathered crumpt she smelt what she could only breathlessly descirbe to me later as "the most manly, clean scent I've ever experienced".
    Temporarily paralysed by olefactory overload she allowed herself to be enveloped in the aroma, her mind delving into wild fantasy and being snapped back again. Butter dirbbling down her chin.
    She had to know who it was. Tentativly, she slowly turned around to steal a glance...

Who was this man?

... Bam! Peirce Bleedin' Brosnan sitting there, eyebrow arched, mischeivous twinkle in his eye.

She had to ask...

"Green Irish Tweed my darling"

As soon as she told me this story I ran out the door mid conversation, tripping over myself in a blind panic to procure myself a bottle of this magical potion (she was a very beautiful girl and I was a total fragrance newb). After getting over the shock of the price I slathered it on and was... well a touch let down.

It's fresh, clean and manly. It is similar to cool water, but it is better.

Despite my intital mild disappointment i always get complimented whenever I wear it out. Its a confident smell and I like to think I'm a little more like Peirce Brosnan whenever I wear it.

Feoil's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Like being huddled up in an earthy cave, in which you have ensconsed yourself to avoid a terrible night time storm, watching the embers of your fire die down as a beautiful dawn breaks outside, the sun warming the damp earth and stones, whilst the birds wake from their slumber, cosy in their nests, letting loose the first gentle song of the day.

Addtionally, ladies love it. Makes you smell more intelligent than you actually are.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

THIS ONE IS NO ANGEL
    THIS FRAGRANCE IS VERY DARK AND DIRTY
    IN A GOOD WAY
    I HAD A LADY FRIEND TELL ME IT SMELLED LIKE SEX
    ENOUGH SAID

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

THE KING OF THE AQUATICS...................
    AQUA DI GIO SMELLS LIKE TOILET WATER COMPARED TO THIS JUICE.............

L'EAU D'ISSEY SCORES THE PERFECT 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I HATE TO HAVE POPULAR FRAGRANCES IN MY WARDROBE.......................
    BUT THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE..............
    LE MALE DRIVES THE GIRLS CRAZY..........................................

Versace Man by Versace

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE FRAGRANCE
    THIS IS NOT ONE OF THE BOTTOM
    IT IS TRULY THE SPECIAL ONE

torresongs's avatar

Chemistry by Clinique

I still have the original bottle of Chemistry someone gave me as a gift many years ago. Not because I don't like it. Just because I always forget that I have it. That's just it Chemistry is simply not very memorable. I concur with the similarities to CK One other have mentioned here. That's really only on the initial spray. Chemistry calms down quickly and becomes a very soapy, clean smell. Great for office wear.

torresongs's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

NOTE TO PLEASURES LOVERS: After owning a bottle of Pleasures for a few years, the initial spray takes on a weird metallic smell. Don't throw it away! Go ahead and wear it. It takes on its original "pleasant" fragrance after about 20 minutes of wear. Always get compliments on this one. A good office scent as it is light, clean, and fades a bit by the end of the day.

Eau it's You's avatar

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

Wear this since it came out on a daily basis. every now and when I get "scent-deaf" I try something different. Just today I HAD to buy me a new bottle.
    I have had the e.d.t. on some occassions but the alcohol in the spray takes me too long to wear of therefor I always use the body lotion.
    It still excites me to put it on and be be uplifted by the freshness of this scent.
    However, I'm still open to suggestions for a similar, NOT sweet, almost unisex scent. Anyone have recommendations for me?
    I'm a woman of 45 years old (young), and not a fragile person ;-)
    Thanks in advance!

suzanne west's avatar

Geminesse by Max Factor

such a beautiful perfume with such evocative memories would love to use it again