Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

torresongs's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

If someone told you that spraying yourself Raid was guaranteed to get you more attention from women, would you do it? I bet you would! Opium Pour Homme comes on like a bug bomb in a bachelor apartment! But what a lucky bachelor! It calms down to a very VERY long-lasting warm, spicy vanilla/woodsy aroma. Confidentially, whenever I feel like being attacked, this is the one I reach for. Women seems to love it about an hour or 2 into wearing. Definitely not for office wear! God only knows what prolonged exposure to this could do to your co-workers!

19 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Green Water by Jacques Fath

I purchased this several years ago from a Russian woman who sold discontinued and rare fragrances. She warned me at the time not to buy it (her last one) because I'd fall in love with it and be disappointed in how difficult it would be to replace. I ignored her advice and don't regret it. This is a unique and distinguished juice. As others have noted, the citrus and peppermint are the stars of this choir. I'm not typically a huge mint fan, but it works seamlessly with the lemon to produce a great summer fragrance with adequate longevity and a cool understated freshness. It's definitely not found in your local supermarket but bottles do surface occasionally on Ebay or at specialty shops.

19 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

This is weird, carnal/dissonant, floral and glamour, in perfect Thierry Mugler's style. Deeply influencing in my opinion the following Esoteric by Alyssa Ashley, this scent is an interplanetary barbarian, a sort of extraterrestrial, metallic, balsamic, synthetic frozen vanilla smell, a space shuttle in which i detect the hand of the sadly departed Laurent Bruyere, the king of chic fragrances, working side by side with Dominique Ropion in order to blend this Swarovski. Many assume this is a modern daily time scent while in my opinion this scent is decidedly a night time fragrance even if not exactly dark and mysterious. This one is exencially a chic and sophisticated evening creation. The first burst is earthy and citric-metallic, a sort of roaring synthetic punch that becomes soon flowery in a sophisticated way. The flower protagonist is the jasmine, properly sambac jasmine, a special quality which is assumed to be a pillar of the chic aura effect. As Foetidus mentioned, this kind of jasmine has an immediate earthy-rooty undertone which combined with citrusy notes determines a sort of " metallurgic-floral " opening. The heart of the scent introduces an accord between cashmeran, a woody musky element, and the admittedly synthetic Solar note, a sort of artificial element that I can't catch in its essence but that assume has a sort of airy, balsamic and vanilla hispid smell. The base notes are mastered by white amber, a softly woody-musky kind of amber, a sort of airy and sunny kind of woody smell. Alien is a very chic and modern scent that over a pretty woman is a burst of sex.

19 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2014)

JaimeB's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A lavender fragrance over an oriental base, but not exactly a fougère. This is a remarkable tenacious fragrance, and yet not overpowering. It does go on for hours, and the sillage is moderate, but far from being a skin scent. The pyramid has mysterious references to roots and pollens, dry notes, oriental notes, woody notes, all carefully sketchy and unspecified. Undeniable tonka bean and amber in the base, and lavender and iris in the heart. The rest is your guess. Rapturously engaging, irrefutably pleasant, carefully balanced and well-constructed. A pleasure to wear and a delight to the nose.

19 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2014)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Brioni by Brioni

From the moment I smelled the new Brioni I knew there was something classic about it. I had smelled this before somewhere. . . . and then it hit me - Patou Pour Homme Prive. The fabled classic fougere from Jean Patou that was abruptly discontinued in the 1990's has a magical lavender note tempered by galbanum, bergamot and other greens then mellows out with coumarin and oakmoss. Well guess what, Brioni is a very smooth Italian constructed classic mens scent that has a beautiful lavender dominant opening altered by bergamot, galbanum and vetiver and then is smoothed out with patchouli and settles on a base of tonka bean softened and dried with oakmoss. The opening and closing are exactly like the PPHPrive classic. I tried them side by side and the Brioni is smoother while PPh Prive is a but fuller with age. Prive has iris and possibly a hint of sandalwood missing in the Brioni. But by scent alone could easily be a cousin, if not a fraternal twin to Brioni.

I think the Brioni creation could also emerge as a classic fragrance and it definitely smells good enough to be treasured by many. As with all things Brioni the price is rare as well - asking $250 (110 ml.) or $500 (300 ml.)!!! The few who can afford this will enjoy it!

Even long after application, the two fragrances smell very similar. Brioni is a wonderful traditional mens lavender based fougere scent. But it is not simple. It has notes of lavender, lemon green notes,earthy vetiver, silvery patchouli, soft hay like tonka and leathery oakmoss. It bears seamless construction and the transitions befit the tailoring of the house of Brioni. But my overall impression is to be reminded of another by gone classic - is it a reincarnation of or just a memory of Patou Pour homme Prive?

colormechris's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

One of the better Burberry scents for men. And that's probably because it emulates a true classic, that being Polo Green by Ralph Lauren. The opening is a redo of Polo in a lighter version. The mid to basenotes are okay, but all around sort of a disappointment. This scent idea is better done in Polo Modern Reserve. At the very end of its progression one is left with something akin to the scent of a bakery that specializes in cinnamon raisin bread. I always pick the raisins out of my cinammon bread and it's what I want to do with London. I'll have to pass on this.

jotalopez75's avatar

Colombia Colombia

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

As a fan of YSL I bought this one this week. To be honest I expected a more unique kind of fragrance, but it is pretty exquiste anyway. Cardamom is the main note in the head, you can smell it as soon as you open the bottle; a few seconds later some dry woody sweet acords (cumarin and vetiver) come out; cedar is also a remarkable accord in this fragrance, of course. Some way it reminds me of Cartier's Dèclaration, ¿maybe it's about cardamon and bergamot notes? I guess so. Conclussion: an almost gourmand and very sophisticated fragrance you can wear both daytime and night.

Oviatt's avatar

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

This is a great classic and wonderful to wear--it just simply makes you feel good. For about twenty minutes. The light and bright bergamot opening is perfectly supported by the lavender and cedarwood. If only it lasted longer! This is what I imagine Don Fabrizio wearing in di Lampedusa's "The Leopard." While I am not given to constant reapplications throughout the day, this cologne not only warrants it--it necessitates it.

jcrich's avatar

England England

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I decided to revisit MKK, a couple of years after first trying it and finding it to be, to my nose, vile.

I have slightly softened my opinion on second wearing, but I just can't get past the sweaty buttocks smell. Even a lady at work, whose opinion I value greatly, said "it smells like bottoms" so even if I did like it (which I don't), I'd not want to walk around with people thinking that I hadn't cleaned my undercarriage properly.

Generally, I have problems with Lutens scents as I find them a touch medicinal. Can't say that about MKK though!

dudeinthemoon's avatar

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

A great fragrance for all occasions. This seems like the perfect expression of a very often attempted fragrance, if that makes any sense. That kind of fresh, clean shaven but relaxed in a masculine way smell? Nailed right here. Longevity and strength are both great, perhaps a little too great at the start in fact, I would say this thing lasts about 6 - 7 hours on my skin. I also tried the shower gel and aftershave balm, both of which are superb. One of my favorites!

bbBD's avatar

Magazine Street by Strange Invisible Perfumes

I've been working my way through the SIP line and having gone through 60-70% the one perfume that stands out from this excellent line is Magazine Street (followed closely by Fire & Cream). I found myself going back to my decant over and over, buying another decant, going through that one, buying a parfum sample, using THAT up, and finally buying myself an EdP bottle. Basically what I'm saying is that I have a very high standard that a modern niche perfume must reach to be bottle worthy, and Magazine Street exceeds this standard.

Magazine Street represents the very rare fragrance that comes off as complexly layered while in fact being deceptively simple. Vetiver intersects with patchouli such that neither note is evident on its own as the inherent qualities of these notes simultaneously balance and complement each other. The sharpness of vetiver balances with the density of patchouli as the earthy qualities of each peep through. A hint of vanilla lurks in the background that keeps the vetiver/patchouli from being too earthy and adds olfactory texture but never adds what one could call sweetness to the composition. Without being related to vintage chypres in any structural way, Magazine Street mimics the layered density of that genre, down to the olfactory vibration that vintage chypres provide. The fragrance is largely linear but this is not a bad thing in the slightness. I will enjoy the opening accord for as many hours as it stays on my skin.

Sillage is appropriate for this type of fragrance and longevity is very good. Comparing the EdP to the parfum, the parfum is slightly more dense but I'm not sure it's so superior to the EdP to justify the massive per/ml price increase. In an increasingly crowded field of modern niche offerings, perfumes like Magazine Street stand out waaaaay above the rest of the field. Thumbs UP!

fragranceluvr's avatar

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

I really love this Eau de Parfum! It is very masculine, spicy, smoky, sweet and incense. Cannabis Santal opens with a spicy-sweetness, then blossoms into a sweet, smoky, ashy incense, not the tar, burnt used incense but the kind that is softly filling the air of a shrine. The dry down is of a sweet powder, not cloyingly so, but soft; the sweetness is a constant role through the life of this scent. This cologne displays nothing of it's namesake...it does not show any of it's herbaceous character. I find this cologne to be very masculine rather than unisex.
    The sillage is better than average and the longevity is about the same, a little better than average. This is a versatile cologne. You can wear this to multiple functions such as a nice dinner-date, formal function, into work, on the weekends, to clubs, a sport shirt or a polo. I highly recommend this fragrance, a must buy!

The_Entity's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

I wish I tested before buying this one, I wouldnt say I dislike it, I wasnt too keen on the lemon note, spoilt it for me

tijanarm's avatar

Beach by Bobbi Brown

For me, this was a pure nostalgia purchase, a fragrance that, just like it does with everyone else, reminds me of my childhood spent on the Adriatic coast "bathing" in Coppertone, salty water and orange blossom scent from the air. I like to wear this fragrance over the summer weekends. Probably not a fragrance for a professional office (especially if you have to wear suits), but for those moments when you let your hair loose and wear flip-flops, just beautiful. I can see pinkmimosa's point, I do believe men are attracted to this fragrance for subconscious reasons. I was debating "should I or should I not" smell like Coppertone, but there are moments when any other fragrance is just too much and this is just perfect. So I treated myself to a bottle.

From Smoke's avatar

S - Scent

G - Gack!

tenorclef's avatar

Shaving Shop by Taylor of Old Bond Street

I've been on a cologne/aftershave frenzy since i started DE shaving about six months ago. TOBS 'Shaving Shop' is a wonderful old world fresh out of the barbers smell. I bought both the AS and EDT and have a slight preference for the AS although they are both great.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

I'm leaning more towards a thumbs down with this one. Then again, as long as I don't have to smell it so often, it is alright. If I had to smell this every day, I'd get dizzy a lot and pass out. It has a very cloying opening that seems to capture the middle and base of ApH and then kick it up 80 notches. This doesn't smell "black", rather overly cloying, sweet, and ultra synthetic.. while at the same time it doesn't smell cheap, so kudos to that.

I paid about 8 bucks for 3.3 oz of this, bought it completely blind based on nothing but positive reviews at the time, that's about to change though, because Cuba Black isn't that good. Definitely not worth my stamp of approval. Its title is misleading, as are some of these reviews. No disrespect to the reviewers though, but I feel that the next blind buyer should be aware. As for this staying close to the skin. ARE YOU INSANE!? This stuff lights up a room just a couple sprays. It actually makes ApH look weak.

So I'd say if you like cloying, sweet, synthetic smells trying so desperately to mimic 80's powerhouses then go for it here. This can be a headache in a bottle indeed, and can project into next year. I like projection, but not when I dislike the scent for the most part to begin with.

Is it worth the dough? Well, if all of the above appeals to you, then yes. But for less than twice the price you could get about half the amount of ApH; smell really nice, not offend anyone, and not be afraid to tell people what you're wearing either :)

20th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2010)

Jasmal by Creed

Nice sweet floral by Creed. Not my favorite but worth a try.

Irisia by Creed

Interesting floral wouldn't expect to like it but on a women it would be great. Give it a try ladies.

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

Another nice rose, great for daytime wear for a female.

Tubérose Indiana by Creed

Another nice floral by Creed. The house of Creed is notorious for its florals and this one represents the company very well.

Vanisia by Creed

I personally do not care for this fragrance there is not enough sweetness to add depth to it.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

There is nothing masculine about this fragrance, it is soapy but too light and it does not say much kind of like Himalaya. This might be nice for a lady actually.

Santal Impérial by Creed

Very creamy type of fragrance, more feminine in my opinion. Not bad but I would not wear it.

Sélection Verte by Creed

Very minty, not my type of fragrance, my brother on the other hand is partial to this one.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This fragrance is THE man's scent. Masculinity in a bottle and we are going back to 1875 for this. This is a James Bond fragrance, leathery, tobacco and peppery type of fragrance. Extremely strong and very professional. One of my favorites!! Smells like money, old fashioned fragrance where men were men. I am so happy I have a bottle.

Hai_Karate_Kid's avatar

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Dating myself, but really liked this one (still do) and wore PE 360 in high school and because of that now think the smell is a frag. for teens. Scent is basic in that it is not very sophisticated but seemingly lasts forever. I think the cirtus top notes are the most noticeable. Very fresh !

WARNING :

Citrus, lavander and 'woody' notes make this a VERY STRONG AROMATIC !

Don't apply too much or you will Karate chop people's noses around you !

20th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2010)

Agent Betty's avatar

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

This is a big hot gardenia coconut embrace. I do get the "suntan oil" nuance, but unlike some people rather like that easy-going casual note. However, for that reason, Monyette may not work for you ladies looking for a more sophisticated office frag.

I've been trying the perfume version, and it's very strong. I can smell one spritz for a good 5+ hours, which makes this rather economical splurge. I can imagine that an overapplication would not be fun, for the wearer or for the wearer's immediate neighbours.

I'm look forward to trying its greener sister, Kai.

Agent Betty's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I was initially ambivilent about this frag, and rather rolled my eyes at the sugary fluffy opening notes (bergamot and tea, I think not) which in my opinion since Angel have been overdone, and are a tad childish.

However, FB dries down to a lovely rosy patchouli that I am quite keen on, and because of this, find myself testing and re-testing it. It eases into something warm and comforting, yet sophisticated. The sillage is good but not offensive, and I think it can be worn day or night.

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Dark vanilla.. a dark and mysterious one..
    Obsession is truly an American work of art, and I personally think it works the vanilla and the incense notes better than shalimar.

The first half hour Obsession seems to be a unisex scent, this is produced by the combination of Cedar, Sandalow, Spices and Oakmoss. Vanilla notes are always there, but after the first half hour, is when its presence becomes stronger (and i love this part).

Obsession is fullbodied and very longlasting. I recommend to be very careful with applying too much Obsession, this scent is so powerful, you just need to apply a little..

If you like Strong, Warm and Vanilla scents, you will love Obsession.