Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Makeup Maniac's avatar

Balmya by Pierre Balmain

I love this! I don't get the cappuccino smell to much except maybe that makes it a bit 'woody' upon drydown? I could have sworn I smelled rose in this as I'm a fan of rose notes mixed with other notes, but I see no rose listed in the notes. Anyone else smell rose? Whatever is in it, I love it and I will wear it alot this spring and summer. Another plus: It's not expensive! I got alot of juice for a very fair price.

scentsitivity's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Penhaligon's

This review is for the 2010 re-release of Penhaligons Eau de Cologne. It is supposed to be an identical formulation to its 1927 formulation. I could not tell you how, if it all, it differs from the 1870 edition, but since this is the only relevant listing, I post my review here.

Penhaligons EdC opens with a bright sweet and zesty orange, both pleasant and realistic. A touch of rosemary underneath. And then it quickly fades to near oblivion. While certainly within the spectrum of classic EDCs, it is nowhere near as good as Acqua di Parma Colonia, Guerlain Eau du Coq or Villoresi’s Acqua di Colonia. All of these are much better choices in terms of complexity and longevity.

scentsitivity's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

This leather is a bit harsh and rough in my opinion. I prefer leathers that have a touch of softness or sweetness to them. Perhaps it may work for others.

cheryl's avatar

Carnet de Bal by Révillon

I found this information off the web,"It was created by Maurice Shaller in 1937". Also off the web...(perfume intelligence) it is a "parfum with citrus top notes; heart notes of cyclamen, rose, jasmine, lily and ylang-ylang; base notes of amber, patchouli, civet and musk".

I have a very small sample of undetermined age. The top notes are gone. One can almost sense what they could have been to "balance" the remaining composition. This has a beautiful smooth vintage "luxury" feeling that says classic perfume. I would have guessed this was intended to be a powdery leather with a spike of naughtiness in it. I think I still detect the lily and ylang ylang and a cloak of musk. I don't know for sure what the note is...there's something here that triggers very deep memories of what perfumes may have smelled like in the 50's (ones off my grandmother's dresser). It is like a beautiful silk veil on the perfume...if this is musk....wow...the effect though faded in incredible.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

Definitely a competently composed floral arrangement of as many thing as you can throw together. Certain florals pop in and out but the ones I personally smell are ylang-ylang and lily so Beautiful is a "sweet" floral fragrance as lily and ylang-ylang both are sweet to me. The perceived composition most definitely varies from person to person with this but there's probably something in here almost everyone could like.

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

A marinish floral of gardenia. That's the smell. It's a simple scent, like a glade candle (the GOOD kind, not the "let's make the room smell like a fragrance candle over top the kitty litter". The end. The scent is boring so let's talk about the name. The name, Beyond Paradise, is a silly concept. I mean, what's past a perfect utopia? What's beyond infinity? And the inverse, what would Beyond Hell smell like?

Ballade Verte by Manuel Canovas

This stuff is nice. It's nothing new but it's also not total crap. I haven't tried the other scents offered by this house. It's a green fragrance with hints of the classic aldehyde top notes. It seems old-school with a modern, fresh white florally twist. After that all dries down Ballade Verte becomes spicy with herbs (lemon thyme or basil) and lingers around. Not bad.

Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

Way too much aldehyde and mineral-whatevers. Magma? You mean sulfuric acid steam and liquid rock? Ugh. This fragrance, top to bottom, sears my nose hairs.

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

get it for 10 bucks 95% full, and it astonished me! the opening is masterpiece, bright yet deep orange blossom, the woody base adds masculine kick, one might think that its a blue but its more ... orange :)

one of my best blind buys for summer

21st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2010)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

To me, this is floral chypre . Light brown juice .
    A fine aldehydic start ( the naughty perfume starts all lady like ! ) ,slightly powdery ,flower tartness- a whopping strong sillage. Then a little leather animal starts creeping on in. This picture makes me think of Boudoir. Now it's just a naughty naughty perfume - flowers, pillows, some leather and maybe a little sweat.
    A classic naughty scent. Definitely strong and lots of sillage. Not for the faint hearted but still I think this naughty lady is a puppy inside.

arcady59's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I think this smells like a blast of Himalaya with the addition of peppery Silver Mountain Water notes in the drydown. Overall it doesn't seem to change much, like a longer lasting, little-changing hybrid Creed that is very, very strong. So strong, in fact, that it can be quite cloying; literally one spray was all I needed to feel over-saturated by this stuff. Think Bleecker Street strong; it lasts for days. The scent doesn't evolve much, almost uncannily so, but a peppery note definitely does appear, bringing the hint of SMW. Overall the drydown makes me think of Bond No.9 in general, if that makes sense.
    This is a classy scent, but far less inventive than some of Bond's other fragrances (really not inventive at all). Creed definitely reigns supreme in the upper echelon of classic, classy scents, but Bond is up there too; with scents like this, it adds some classic parfume to its avant-garde offerings, making it a very distinct House itself.
    Alas, I think of Andy Warhol Silver Factory, my favorite scent at this time, and wish this was a bit more creative. As a scent of New York, though, this is fittingly called Hamptons.

urfliness's avatar

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

I still can't figure out weather this is a masucline of femminie scent.I initally got it because the sales lady @ blumercury told me it was unisex.My bottle doesn't even look like the one pictured.(Mine has a gold cap and a gold label).How ever I find it is extremely easy to over apply this as it is extremely potent.I only wear it on occasions becuase I have this weired feeling that everyone thinks I smell like a lady LMAO :).Last extremely LONG!

msveronica9's avatar

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Nostagia for scents I wore in my youth prompted me to purchase a vintage bottle of this online. It was an "Eau Fraiche" in brown packaging, and unfortunately it smelled like a vintage aftershave. Puzzled, I went to a department store and tried the tester. Oh gorgeous smell - as fizzy and lime green as the new frosted bottle! Reasoning that my first bottle was simply 'off', I purchased a new bottle. Spritz, spritz. A few minutes of lemon sherbet heaven was followed by that aftershave smell again. Brut? Eau Sauvage? Not exactly unpleasant (might be nice on a guy) - but I don't want to smell like I'm wearing aftershave. What a shame. I sold both bottles to a friend whose husband will probably wear it.

Klont's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I have to agree with Hartman Design here.
    I can imagine a lot of people like it because it is indeed very well balanced it smells like you just got out of the shower. But to me this is just kind of a boring fragrance, and I can't find a reason to wear this.

StylinLA's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

Whenever this was created, it's a wonderful scent invoking an earlier time for sure. No one would create anything like this now.

Wearing this is an experience wherein I'm staking my claim to being a mature guy.

It's a buttery smooth leather like an expensive jacket or the seats in a Rolls.
    It's the epitome of "Creed-ish" and I mean that in the best way possible. This is a treasure for me along with Vintage Tabarome.

REL is not for everyone, but sample it while you can. You might regret not trying it if it goes the way of Vintage Tabarome.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

FH starts off smelling obnoxiously lemony, which is odd considering the plain lack of 'lemon' in the pyramid. It's not really that AdG cleaning product sort of citrus, nor is it tangy or sour or natural. It's like lemon drops. If the mint was more pronounced and the ingredients were real this could have been much better, and might even last longer. As it stands, FH is light, sweet, short-lived, and appealing to young girls. After the borderline annoying opening it's really just 'nice.' As it dries it seems to thicken a bit, which is nice but doesn't really matter as it has little to no sillage in that stage. All in all not terrible for ten bucks, but it'll take me ages to finish the bottle.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Eau Maximum by Nickel

Energy fougere! Eau Maximum is leagues better than I expected it to be. A blind buy for sure, and only $8(!), but I was attracted by the box, which actually described the fragrance notes, like a good wine reads on the back of the bottle, preparing you for the contents. I am literally astounded that the synthetic ingredients actually smell authentic in this. The rosemary and spearmint combination is fantastic. And it works like it reads; Eau Maximum is an invigorating fragrance. I feel like I should be running about right now. The incredible herbal/citrus top receded fairly quickly, but this fragrance doesn't become a bother even after multiple sprays, so reapplication is refreshing and guilt free. I'm going to have to find more of this because it's not going to last the summer.

ddh213's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

to me it smells sort of like a brand new smell. if you ever smell an apple product after removing it from packaging. they always have that certain brand new smell. this smells like that. really good! i enjoy it. reccoemnded to all!

Hiris by Hermès

This smell screams prim and classy. I feel like I would smell this on a upper-middle class housewife clad in a $500 outfit meeting her girlfriends for lunch at a japanese restaurant. It's definately a WASPy scent, and is incredibly beautiful and clean.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

The first thing that I should say is that it smells very retro, or from another time. It's not going to smell like today's men's sexy fragrances (Calvin Klein Man), but is something very suitably paired with, let's say James Bond. It smells pretty sweaty and dirty though, like the smell you inhale right before you orgasm.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

I got this when I was in 9th grade, and loved it. It's completely appropriate for teens, as well as adults. it smells like a spicy citrus fruit roasting over a fire with sparks shooting from the flames. It's just like BAM when you first spray it. It then calms down and is a much mellower orangey-mango smell, but is still fresh and spicy. The lasting power is pretty poor though, so that's why Hermes created the Eau de Orange Concentre, which is more concentrated, but the smell is a little different

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I guess I like this fragrance, but kind of feel like someone is suffocating me with a guido's wifebeater when I smell it. It's very strong, so you just need a very little spritz. I do believe that it would smell incredibly sexy though if you had only a small hint of this on, because its very masculine and warm.

prosecute's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi smells of beach joy!
    Although it's a sweet fragrance, it's very manly and self-assertive. The opening is very soothing and elegant, and you soon realize what you have before your nose. Its dry down is highly cozy, but longevity doesn't seem to be FdA's forte.
    I would recommend it especially for day wear or during summer time, but FdA wouldn't play a bad role in the evening.

By the way, this is the only Blu Mediterraneo scent that doesn't make me seasick indeed.

colormechris's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Just got a bottle. LOVE IT. Delightful opening into refined casual base. Super close to the skin, fleeting, romantic, Paris in the summertime. I find it runs along extremely similar lines to Dior's classic Eau Sauvage with only slight differences. They are both fantastic and hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, oui?
    The bottle too, is a beauty. The most beautiful shade of teal I've ever seen.

21st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2011)

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Fleurissimo by Creed

I really like this one!

I feel Fleurissimo is more like (sweet candy floral) some soft and 'delightful' Banana chewing gum (maybe this feeling is caused by the violet combined with the tuberose). It's from the 70's and don't smell old! Very Impressive!

One of the finest and most wearable Creed fragrances. The Sillage and staying power are good.

If you like Joy, Diorissimo or Kenzo parfum d'ete, you'll love this Fragrance very much.

21st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2011)

msveronica9's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

It has been noted elsewhere that there are (at least) two versions of Bandit out there. My friend has the current re-formulation (EDP, 'bandit' in lowercase) which she really likes (except for its limited tenacity), whereas I bought an older formulation (EDT, 'BANDIT' in uppercase) which my 'bandit'-loving friend didn't even want as a gift ("smells like fly spray").

This review is for the EDT. To me, this is a chypre taken to the extreme: an overdose of bitter galbanum set above a broad base of oakmoss with not a lot in between. I couldn't detect any kinds of flowers, or even leather. Smelling the inside of the cap was relatively pleasant, but on skin the bitterness intensified and developed into a nauseatingly dank, stagnant smell - which I have also encountered in the reformulated Aliage (Estee Lauder).

I was collecting Piguets to have a set, but this one I found so unwearable that I decided to give it away to any friend who didn't find it disgusting. Fortunately I found one who said it brought back pleasant memories of digging for truffles and visiting catacombs in a faroff land - ie. it smelled like dirt and fungi in the nicest possible way. Her husband kinda liked it, too. So I left the bottle with them. Bye-bye Bandit, you didn't steal my heart.

EDIT1: Bandit boomeranged back to me (friend decided she didn't want to smell of catacombs after all), so it will sit in my "perfume classics library" ready to shock and/or amuse friends.

EDIT 2: A few months on, I took my unloved bottle to a get-together of perfume friends where a wonderful older lady happily took it off my hands. I bumped into her a few weeks later and she was wearing the Bandit... to my surprise it smelled quite lovely on her! Ah, the mysteries of body chemistry :-)

21st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2012)

*bloomy*'s avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

This one is a masterpiece. Phenomenally classy. Delicious smooth sandalwood with just the right floral touch. I absolutely adore Bois des Iles, TWO THUMBS WAY UP!!!

21st May, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2012)

Elf's avatar

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

I'm a Florida girl, and have great love for jasmine, ylang ylang, and tooth-achingly sweet milk desserts (tres leches, anyone??). And of course, if you live in South Florida, you gotta love the sweat. And amaranthine is full of all these things, so it's just love, pure and simple.

tijanarm's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Possibly one of the nicest Chanel's I ever owned and sniffed. I fell in love with it so much that I bought both the EDT and pure perfume and I am in the process of trying to distinguish if there are any differences. So far, to my untrained nose, they are remarkably similar, with pure perfume being slightly softer. The longevity is excellent. This is my signature fragrance and I hope it never gets discontinued. Someone mentioned Katherine Hepburnesque fragrance and I agree - classy all the way!

Scent-e-mental's avatar

Intimately Beckham Night Men by Beckham

I bought this blind and cheaply (around $17 US for 75mL) and to be frank didn't expect too much from it. The start is quite pleasant - I like the spiciness, though I like the spices in the original Intimately Beckham more. The sweetness in this one is akin to coconut, at least to my nose. I look at the list of purported notes and (metaphorically) shrug my shoulders: I don't detect the citrus, and I was almost sure there was vanilla (but apparently not). It doesn't project far from the body and after a few minutes of the initial blast, it settles into a slightly spicy sweetness, which lasts for a reasonable amount of time. Nice, but not brilliant.