Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

Powdery Peach opening then Red Door moves into a very rich rose scent still a bit powdery (could be cloying if oversprayed in closed hot spaces) a bit potpourri-ish but I like it FBW in my opinion as I prefer rich heady ROSES to pale (am i a rose? i'm in a red or pink bottle so i suppose i must be)ones or to (on my skin) sour rose . Supposedly rose is in Cabaret I don't really get it .I get PATCHOULLI .If you like Tresor and Chlo'e and YSL Paris you will probably like/love RED DOOR.

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

This smells clean in the muguet-iris notes then I seem to smell a bit of pepper as if this were Pleasures but lighter with a hint of a clean white musk underneath.I like it FBW great for summer.

Ardenbeauty by Elizabeth Arden

This reminds me of EA Green Tea a soft tea/waterflower (perhaps more longlasting and floral formulation?) I tried my mother's mini and I like it a lot .I will be getting a full bottle.

Scentational's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Don't like this one.
    The beginning is almost pleasant with something actually similar to gasoline but subtly blended with some other good notes. Then, as more as it evolves it becomes sickeningly sweet at the point the scent makes me a bit nauseating.
    I'm sure now I sometimes smelled it yet on some guys in the street but didn't know what it was, so I guess it has a bit of popularity, but I think it will probably never touch my skin again, though.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Rykiel Man by Sonia Rykiel

Today I went to my side shelf for my SOTD, I went with something called Rykiel Man. This is, hands down the most unique fresh fragrance I've ever smelled. EVER. I cannot break this fragrance down. The closest I can say is that it smells like limes, soda, rosewood, laundry detergent, and a little tea. It's not soapy, there's no spices, it's not oriental, but it is very green and fresh. I don't really care for it, but it is very very intriguing, in fact, I've never been so intrigued with any fragrance, ever. This must be smelled.

22 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 October, 2010)

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Green , citrus with mint. I thought this was a man's fragrance, reminds me of Green Valley.

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Very perfumey fragrance, I could see a mature woman wearing this and smelling nice. I could not see myself wearing it, but it is well made.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Extremely musky with wood. All in all not a bad fragrance.

MatthewPK's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

This is very nice, just not as I had imagined. I get mostly spice, with some woods - primarily cedar, I think - and a warm, underlying, non-vanilla-like sweetness. A vague impression of Dentyne/cinnamon and Old Spice (blasphemy, I know). Sophisticated and proper.

Wyllowdaemon's avatar

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

I still have a small bottle for memories sake. I enjoyed this as a very young child and I find the smell comforting. Sometimes I will wear it around the house or spray it on my pillow before going to bed.

SwePeter's avatar

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

Got a sample of this when it first was released and thought it smelled very nice. So I got it and I still think it smells nice. It's very fresh, woodsy and citrusy. I'd say it's a spring/summer fragrance and can also be classed as a sports fragrance. It suits guys between 15-50 years old.

The downside with this fragrance is its projection/sillage and longevity - it's very bad. If it would project better and last longer I would give it 8/10 but now I only give it 4/10. Don't buy it, it's not worth the money.

Blue Jeans by Versace

Very powdery. Imagine the smell of baby powder, coupled with a mix of citrus and lavender.

Moderate longevity and projection.

There are better fragrances out there which can project the lavender and citrus accord better.

The top notes smell acidic and sharp, crispy, slightly sour. But this is a good thing, in cold weather. The dry down presents itself with a very pleasant consistency, it starts to open into the floral notes.

Don't spray too much on yourself, it induces a sneeze or two on me in an enclosed space. Good effort by Versace.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Tried this at the store, she sprayed it on me, I took an initial whiff of this stuff and the first thing that struck me was, "Tyres!" Yes, tyres, rubber tyre note that you smell from a mechanic's shop. However, imagine a mechanic shop grinding vanilla pods, boiling some strong black tea, and caramelizing some sugar. This is roughly what Bvalgari Black is all about.

You may be going, "What on earth is that rubber note doing there in the first place?"

1. It darkens the fragrance.
    2. It balances the other already-sweet accords of the fragrance.

It does not over-do the grunge dirty-ness of the rubber, it simply complements the other notes very well.

If you are feeling confident, bold, slap on a dark leather jacket and put on Bvlgari Black. Here's to the night out.

Good job on this fragrance. Thumbs up for me.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

A very smoky fragrance. Unfortunately, this smell is so widely imitated and used in many common consumer products, though they are a cheap imitation, they have reduced this old fragrance to an "old-man past his prime"

Very strong, big projection, longevity is good. What I like about this however is the charred smoked wood that you get at the end, it feels warm. The top notes fail to impress me however.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

A definite classic. Imagine a searing hot day in the desert, this is what Ralph Lauren Safari is all about. This fragrance cuts through the sweltering heat with its freshness. I recommend this fragrance to be worn in hot weather.

It is strong, has a huge projection, don't spray too much on yourself unless you want an entire pride of lions coming after you, it has an impressive longevity as well.

At the start, I smell the Eucalyptus, Basil, Lavender and Cedar wood. Somewhat herbal. After the dry down, it introduces the leather and it becomes darker, the herbs and woods are still lingering. A hint of spiciness throughout.

To me it is suited for more mature wearers. The bottle design is a thumbs up.

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

A perfume for the sake of being a perfume. Sweet for the sake of being sweet. Nothing more, nothing less.

A friend gave me a bottle of this stuff, he didn't want it any more, I understand why.

I love sweet fragrances, provided they are done well. This simply doesn't cut it.

This fragrance does not know where it is at all. It is confused and boring. Imagine a battle of the sweetness. You have ginger, mandarin orange, jasmine and lime battling for the top spot. They do not accompany each other. Rather they simply pile on top of each other in a hap-hazard manner, giving what is a monotonous fragrance.

The lime simply dominates, to me it smells more like the rind of a lime, it lacks the citrus, the freshness and the sharpness, it seems to be very artificial, very uncharacteristic of the natural fruit. While the lime dominates, the ginger fails to project its spiciness and the jasmine is virtually overpowered by both.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Extremely well-made, well-blended. A very pleasing scent. Invokes a good impression, invokes a curiosity by others around you.

Upon smelling Gucci Pour Homme II on my skin when I first sprayed it, nothing blew my socks off to surprise me. Though it didn't leave a a big first impression, it started to unpack itself as time went by, and by the end of the night, I was feeling extremely impressed!

The dry down is amazing, it doesn't bring you on an olfactory roller-coaster ride, rather it brings you in slowly, as the scent settles down, you get a very textured, creamy, spicy, woody and sweet balance overall. One thing I love about Pour Homme II is that it is an extremely well-balanced blend, you don't have too much of one thing and too little of the other in this fragrance.

I can smell the Olive Wood, Pimento and Myrrh very well in this mix, yet the fragrance did not attempt to be too spicy or woody, it was very well balanced. The base aroma of the Black Tea is balanced by the sharpness of the Pimento. Surrounding it is a clever blend of Cinnamon, Tobacco, Myrrh and Woods. It has a creamy texture. VERY VERY SMOOTH.

If I may request one thing, is that Gucci improves the longevity and projection for this fragrance. The fragrance sucks in terms of projection, someone passing me by when walking on the street will hardly notice it unless he/she is about less than an arms length away from me. HOWEVER, when I am settled down in a small room, among friends, without the breeze, by the fireplace, the smell delicately circulates through the room, very very pleasant.

I would say this fragrance comes across as a more personal fragrance, your friends will smell it, a stranger by the street will probably not notice as much. It is near, it is close, it is special.

It is an inoffensive fragrance. A safe fragrance. But does that mean you shouldn't bother trying it? No...TRY IT! You will be impressed.

Well done to the Gucci house!

SmellyNinja's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

It's a decent gourmand comfort scent. Similar in vein to A*Men or Armani Diamonds, but with it's own unique highlights. Longevity, or lack of it, was a big issue for me.

22 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

rasputin's avatar

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

JUICY FRUIT chewed at an open-casket viewing.

Utter perdition and detritus mixed with the most tongue-smacking, sweet, candylike, smiling gustatory deliciousness.

Remember when British Saatchi artist Damien Hirst came up with his collection of paintings celebrating medicines, hospitals, capsules, flasks, pills, colored elixirs, medicine labels? This is the milieu to which CHAROGNE takes me.
    But we must never forget that CHAROGNE is about Death. That Big Thing. By giving it that very name, it appears ELD'O makes no bones about the fact that there is a Death allusion underfoot. Some reviewers have even given CHAROGNE the nickname "The Exquisite Corpse". Not rotting--- but caught just in time....freshly embalmed with formaldehyde, powdered and cosmeticized. Pretty as you please.
    It's kind of like Tim Burton's CORPSE BRIDE. She's so beautiful, so gracious, so sweet, so charming, so lovable, so attractive. But there's just one thing: She's Dead. Dance with her, caress her, court her, kiss her even.... but you can't marry her.
    That's how CHAROGNE operates: Sweet, mixed- fruit-flavored CERTS scrounged from a kidskin purse, plastic toys, cellophaned flowers, and.....uh.......Death. Like Damien Hirst's genuine human skull, encrusted with thousands of real diamonds. It's beautiful, it's Art, it's precious... and it's Dead.
    This, to me, makes CHAROGNE even more taboo and outrageous than ELDO's other bad-boy, SeCReTIONS MAGNIFIQUES. Yet it is anything but a dark or emo or Goth scent. Au contraire.
    Do I love this Post-Modern fragrance? Like you wouldn't believe. Going on my third bottle of it.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Aromatic, woody-citrus with a spearminty twist.

Dries down to a Bond No 9 Riverside Drive-kinda thing, minus the obviously more expensive Ambergris-part in Riverside Dr.

Not bad at all.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Boucheron by Boucheron

On this rainy spring morning I decided to wear this as I sip on my coffee. I have a mini in EDP concentration. This is definitely in the style of the big 1980's floriental with its slightly boozy fruity floral sweetness which I'm not really fond of. However, there is also a dark woody/mossy quality that provides a counterpoint that keeps the swwetness from ever becoming cloying. This scent has a kind of Baroque density that makes you feel like you're wearing heavy silk brocade in shades of deep crimson or purple. Sillage is good and it smells expensive.

bbBD's avatar

Aoud Gourmet by Martine Micallef

Aoud Gourmet is a very clever oud/gourmand. It's not all that different from Micallef's own Vanille Aoud but instead of a rich, creamy vanilla balanced by a subtle oud note this perfume presents a marzipan/almond/vanilla accord accented with a moderate dose of oud to counter the gourmand notes' sweetness. By way of comparison Aoud Gourmet is in the same league as Montale's Red Aoud, but I find it much more wearable and the oud note less prominent. As with the other Micallef ouds, this scent is tremendously well balanced and the oud note melds into the surrounding accords.

Sillage, longevity, and price are all on the high end of the spectrum for sure. If forced to choose I would likely prefer Vanille Aoud, but I don't feel that owning one precludes owning the other by any means. Thumbs up.

Marc by Marc Jacobs

Watery rendition of white gardenia, spiced up with cedar and white musk . Smells a little synthetic .Sticks to your skin with nuclear power especially in 'parfum' strength. Just a lighter verison of his Essence scent.
    Gets irritating after a while.

Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

Quite an odd distinctive fragrance on my skin. Like hot stone ,hot metal and powdry violets -even a little medicinal. Unfortunately that combo never has done me any favors .Suffocatingly horrid.Very disappointed that it does this on my skin. The bottle is gorgeous though.

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Firstly the bottle is outrageously vulgar and ugly to me. Secondly ,it's a mediocre ,standard issue,fruit-floral departmental store fragrance that is 'pleasant' .No, you won't die from spraying this on but life is short, so move on to the next one. Next !

oillio's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

Many creed scents come off fruity on me. Erolfa does not. Bright and clean top notes, with a smooth dry down.

Derby by Guerlain

An obviously very well-made scent in the typical old-school Guerlain fashion: complex in structure and very grand in scale; lots going on here. But alas, it's more admirable than lovable, I feel. And it's extremely hard to believe this one dates from the 1980s; smells much, much older: This is a very dusty, powdery affair indeed. (And where's the leather?) The 1920s Chanels such as Cuir de Russie or No. 5 have aged so very much better and feel newer than Derby which is 60 years younger. For a good masculine Guerlain, I'd suggest Heritage, which is fabulous. (And somebody should update the photo of Derby here; it looks completely different now, and if you're really unlucky, you might encounter it on display (e.g. at the Paris Galeries Lafayette flagship store) with a pump spray. Now how's that for masculine?

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

A class act. One of the few scents I find truly brilliant both for business situations and in my freetime. It simply smells of good taste and refinement, on the safe side of spicy but not so safe as to be dull and drab.
    Get some if you haven't already.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

The perfect summer tropical-theme party scent: Smells exactly like a pina colada, and I'd love it as a candle. But as a cologne? Still, it is indeed very tasty!

flouris's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

I guess I should've researched this one more. I was expecting a dark soda (cola) type fragrance, instead it's akin to smelling like Ginger Ale. "Soda" has a bright, summery feeling to it -- green and somewhat sparkly, although it dries down fairly quickly and leaves something faintly rose/musk in its wake. There are better effervescent green frags out there, but this one isn't a total disaster either.