Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

ubergeek's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

A classic fragrance, very different from any of the newer scents. Topnotes of lemon and bergamot, basenotes of sandalwood and incense. An intensely dark and smoky fragrance, good for wearing to church or perhaps to a funeral. Definitely not for everyday use, and don't even think about wearing this on a date, but for serious formal occasions it's an excellent choice.

mjcr's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

My relationship with YSL L'Homme is the story of my journey into the world of fragrance. I was bought this collectively by my wife and mother for my birthday when it was first released in 2006. I immediately liked it. I loved the bottle with its industrial steel cap and its Bauhaus simplicity. I also liked the fragrance very much as it was pretty much all I knew back then. Fresh was best. That's how a man should smell I thought. Trying to capture that 'just out of the shower' feel as Tania Sanchez puts it rather witheringly. Now that I have delved deeper into the world of perfumery and as I have matured from my 20s to my 30s my tastes have changed.

For a while I hated L'Homme but in reality I realised that I wanted to hate it rather than actually truly disliking it. I haven't come full circle and I still think it is an average fragrance that says little and inspires even less. But I don't think by any means it is a bad perfume. The slightly spicy fresh opening that heads down into a good dollop of vetiver is very pleasant indeed. I cannot imagine anyone recoiling from L'Homme in horror. But that is perhaps its downfall. There's nothing to strongly object to yet nothing also to truly love. I'm wearing it now on this very warm early summer evening and it is very refreshing. But I require more from my fragrances than just to freshen me up nowadays. A quick shower and blast of some cheap deodorant will do that.

I still think that this is leaps and bounds ahead of so many other 'fresh', 'sporty', 'citrus' mens fragrances on the market today, and leagues better than almost any 'summer edition' flanker. I can't really recommend L'Homme but I do admire it YSL's marketing campaign very much. The bottle, the box, the whole image construction is expertly executed to appeal to aspirational modern twenty-somethings. If I was still in that category I would probably buy it all over again.

BayKAT's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

This is an upfront violet that reminds me of similar takes from niche houses Sonoma Scent Studio (Wood violet), DSH perfumes (violet di Murano), and more recently Ava Luxe's Black Violet.

The spin here is green, and I like that; it keeps it fresh and energetic. This is an interesting scent to me; I'll wear it again a few times to see if my opinion changes, but my frist take is positive.

I put this on before going to the gym to lift weights, and then ran a few shopping errands before taking a shower. Four hours later i still smelled like earthy violet and not stinky Kari, so props for that.

Quality is as good as anything else, longevity is as expected from a niche natural line, and wearability is up there. A must for lovers of African violet!

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I cant imagine Alberto Morillas could make this type of crap.... any ways to me its self repellent.

Envy for Men by Gucci

The oxygen sucker ... heavy , heady , herbs.which are v.thik and dirty.........AVOID..

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

according to most reviews ladies love this stuff but i think it is offensive to physical , it can repell moths not only ladies...................AVOID .

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I Love it.....thats it ... i dont care about the myth of Pencil Shavings... this is my all time favourite , if i would be given one and only one cologne i would take it.. i m not a trained nose so i can describe it like kaern, vibert, foetedus or sirslarty but whenever i wear Gucci PH (after it settles) i really enjoy it... this is the BEST. Both Thumbz UP

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Starts with citrus notes and develops into a sweet (in a good way ) till tobacco and cedar take over , still the sweetness remains with it . Good stuff for evening or a chilled office.

Joop! Jump by Joop!

The lovers of Allure Homme and Sport should try this , this would definately save their money. Good stuff even i hate halwa sugar sweet men fragrances but this is good.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Another v. good offering from Gucci,,, lighty musculine , elegant It does not work in hot humid weather , i wear this rather in the evening. Well done

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Nice ... very nice specially the top notes are v.good. longevity might be an issue , other wise excellent stuff, best from G.A.

jernizzle459's avatar

V pour Homme by Valentino

It start's out sweet,but then becomes a very warm sexy romantic scent. I would especially recommend for a romantic evening with your girlfriend or wife. I highly recommend this fragrance.
    Jernizzle456

Eau it's You's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

Trully repulsive, very loud and lacking any subtility...

prosecute's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Marvelous... Sisley Eau du Soir is that kind of thing that provokes on you more than just relief (this is usually the feeling I have when I smell nice fragrances), it evokes feminine beauty, elegance, power (not in a harsh manner, though), understanding, wisdom... every good quality western women have shown along the centuries.

I recommend this scent for more mature women, for I don't believe girls would show much sensuality wearing this. It exudes rather confidence in a life of achievements.

Evening is certainly (in my opinion) the best time of the day to go out with it. Those incredible veranda parties, filled with high-class champagne and successful mature people would be the most suitable scenario for Sisley Eau du Soir.

Longevity is a great feature in this one, too. However, I can't rate its sillage too well.

Rumor has it that Diana, the princess, loved this scent. Well, this is really for elevated characters. Must own, definitely.

prosecute's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Délices de Cartier Eau Fruitée by Cartier

Very interesting fruity scent! This feels fresh and joyful, especially during hot days. It has very good longevity and sillage.
    I wouldn't recommend it for mature women, for it's too sweet for an old lady, I think. Cartier did this right, being able to create a very sweet, fruity fragrance without being nauseating, as it uses to be with this type of scent. The drydown, however, accentuates its sweetness too much, which might give some people headaches. But everyone should try this at least once in life.

Crave by Calvin Klein

Interesting bottle but mine broke when it fell on the floor so that's bad. I really liked this scent tho. It's very fruity! Citrusy. Definitely a spring/summer fragrance suited for the younger crowd. Good projection and okay longevity (about 4-6 hours). Got this cheap. Rating: 7/10.

Style In Play by Lacoste

This is a very nice fragrance! It's very fresh, fruity and a masculine dry down. It's suited for spring/summer but you can wear it all seasons in my oppinion. I'd say it's for people between 15-40 years old. I get about 6 hours on my skin which is pretty good. It's worth the money.

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

A very pleasant spicy fragrance that's a little bit sweet. It's very versitile as for both seasons and ages. Won't offend anyone. Projection is good and so is the longevity. I get about 5-8 hours. Rating: 7,5/10

Gant Liquid by Gant USA

First of all - really nice bottle! This is a spring/summer fragrance. It's very fresh and aquatic. It suits people between 15-45 years old. Longevity on me is about 5-6 hours. It's modern and youthful and when I smell it, it feels like I'm on a beach and there's a fruity fresh breeze that hits me. Good projection. Won't offend anybody! Try it!

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Really nice bottle! The scent is AMAZING! I tell you, this is a classic and a must have for sure. It's very fresh, modern, spicy, woodsy and versitile. Very good projection/sillage and longevity. I get about 7-9 hours. I guarentee you will get compliments from this one. Rating: 10/10! Must try!

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It has always confused me with Gucci PH , but I love Gucci , M7 is good but it requires an ambience to please others , other wise it can be cloying , i like the dry down but not love it , ...........

23 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2014)

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Ultraviolet Man Fluoressence by Paco Rabanne

Fluoressence is a very light and clean citrusy aquatic that is nice to use in hot weather (I’ve tried it in 45C plus) but that I ultimately found is bland. Its sillage is also poor, becoming a skin scent within an hour, and its longevity is less than average. As far as light summery close-to-the-skin scents go, I rate both Trussardi Python Uomo and Eaux De Caron Pure well above this as they both smell far more interesting, and closer to home the citrusy Eau de Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is also a superior performer in warm weather with significant sillage to boot. Nonetheless, neutral is a fair rating as I like the concept of a fragrance that ‘fluoresces’ in hot weather - even if this one doesn’t very much - and its bottle & packaging are attractive – I especially like the classy contrast between the aquamarine bottle and its chromed lid, although beware: both the chrome paint on the lid and aquamarine colour on my bottle (which surprisingly is only a blue film of paint on colourless glass) have peeled off in places :(( UPDATE: Despite its longevity issues, the smell has grown on me recently due to its brightness & transparency – perfect IMO for the beach and sunny days - and is now bordering on a thumbs-up for me.

No more sitting on the fence any longer. It's won me over! This is a damn good refreshing fragrance - I especially like its distinctive (even strange) glassiness. Thumbs-up all the way now!!

23 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2014)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

I don't understand the negative comments either, except that it's made by D & G ( NOT the most innovative, groundbreaking house in existence) and it's marketed at teenagers.

So? I'd put this ahead of Dunhill Edition.

No, it's not Bois de Cedrat by Creed, which I admire, costs three times as much--and is far more linear. D & G Masculine has a lot going on with its 10,000 top middle and base notes :) Really, it's rather interesting and manages to blend the notes quite well.
    Yes, an upbeat and cheerful summer scent with good longevity and fair sillage.
    So while in the "lemon citrus under the hot sun category" I'd prefer Iskander, or Selection Verte Let's give credit where credit is due.
    For me? 4 stars out of 5.--Which ain't too shabby . . .

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Escada Homme by Escada

Well, with this neutral verdict it still remains one (or perhaps the only one) of all fragrances with over 50 reviews without a single thumbs down. Escada deserves it. Yes, the opening is fantastic, it's fairly well blended and I'm glad many of you love it so much--I can find no " fault " with it but I chuckle at narcus's comment that he keeps forgetting that he has it in his wardrobe and Off-Scenter's that while it's more bland than Habit Rouge, and other oriental classics, it does have more character than Armani Code.
    Yes, it's a middle of the road scent--but I've bought enough 3-4 star scents that I've no intention of purchasing again. Been there, done that.

kewart's avatar

Dream Angels Heavenly by Victoria's Secret

I bought a bottle of this whilst on a visit to California,
    simply because we don't have a VS shop over here and this is
    the scent I liked most in the shop. It''s not a great work of art
    but it is easy on the nose and reminds me of my holiday in San
    Francisco.

odysseusm's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

This has a fresh, floral, slightly citrus opening. "Fresh" in the ozonic sense of the word. The scent is somewhat sweet, bland and generic in character. I don't get any spice or wood notes. The sweetness gets quite tiresome and synthetic in character. There is an oddly metallic and tangy note in the drydown which is unpleasant.

odysseusm's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Wow! What a lemony opening! Briefly, this seems like it will be a brisk and refreshingly enjoyable scent. Little bits of vanilla from the tonka appear, and the scent becomes more like a lemon cookie than the fruit itself. Aquatic notes and white musk take over, and the whole thing becomes very one-dimensional. Synthetic lemon goes on and on with no relief. Boring, verging on irritating.

Joy by Jean Patou

Vintage EDT: Roses, roses, roses, and a bit of animal. If I concentrate there are traces of jasmine and soap.

Magazine Street by Strange Invisible Perfumes

I sampled this quickly at new perfume boutique while travelling in Seattle. It was pouring rain outside, but the perfume is warm. It's mystifying....I don't instantly know what it is I'm smelling (I guess that's the "Strange" part).It smells of the earth. The patchouli and vetiver have married one another and are living on an old Southern plantation? The vanilla is barely there. On a man...I think this would make my knees weak.

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

I had a lot of confidence in the store as I sampled this I was going to love it. It introduces itself very prettily. It promises it has depth. It seems that it has a good solid structure. Alas after an hour or so I was less charmed. Also bored. And finally as only a completely generic sweet haze was left, annoyed. Ultimately, it was a candified amber for me very dumbed down.