Fragrance Reviews from May 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

Pretty much a creamy floral with a bit of aldehydes. Kinda ho-hum but a nice scent. The drydown is mostly musky and a bitterness to it.

Tony T's avatar

Sport Jil Sander for Men by Jil Sander

timkm hit it onn the head. very reluctant smelling. been there and done that a half dozen times at least. not even sporty or fresh. a waste of time completely!!

Tony T's avatar

Power by 50 Cent

very peppery and a bit floral. a good first try imo. too bad he's not relevant to the rap scene or this would be a top seller!!!

the_tourist's avatar

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Imagine GIT without the bite of green at the top, and its iris note replaced by a syrupy-sweet synthetic one... yick. Further proof that some imitation is neither sincere nor flattering.

nonnative's avatar

Dia Woman by Amouage

Dia reminds me of a silk blouse, color: caramel. Beautiful, feminine and classy. But it lacks personality and persistence. Many of the reviews rightly quote chanel n. 5 as a similar scent. Too expensive to be so similar to a very common parfume such as n. 5. Anyway a round, creamy, cyphre, floral beauty, with a gourmand and animalic drydown.

epicurean's avatar

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Very nicely done, the olfactory equivalent to bright sunshine-yellow and white. But far too powdery and sweet for a man's scent.

RJR's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Hard to imagine that a scent as "black" as Bulgari Black could be appropriate for hot summer days, but that's when I'll use it most. Evokes memories of hot tar and pea gravel being used to resurface asphalt roads ages ago. The disagreeable edge is removed with what I assume to be a bit of vanilla. Forget the "burning rubber" references; there's nothing so acrid in Bulgari Black. Strangely, I could see wearing this for coat-and-tie meetings when my "oomph needs a boost," as one reviewer put it. Bulgari nailed this one: a powerhouse scent with low sillage.

JimHeckel's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

The bottle is sweet; the scent is lacking. Good for the under-21 crowd, I guess. As for me, Im sticking with my 1970s era powerhouses.

msveronica9's avatar

Lady Stetson by Stetson

Like a previous reviewer here, I bought a small bottle of Lady Stetson because it had been compared to Chanel No. 22 in "The Guide". Well I adore No. 22 (EDT), but this to me bears little resemblance. All I get is a very strong 'flypray note' that I have smelled in some other fragrances such as Givenchy Organza Harvest Edition and the current Rive Gauche. I know 'flyspray' is a very subjective descriptor and it's probably the case that I've been sensitised to a particular fragrance chemical previously encountered in the context of flyspray - but that's how it is for me! If you can relate to what I've said, avoid this fragrance. Otherwise, don't base your purchase on my opinion :-)

Primrose's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

Aramis has infinite sillage on me and lasts a very long time. It is a men's fragrance classic.

Other than that, its a wonderful floral/leather chypre. This is not for the faint of heart, as it announces your presence. This is marketed to men, but women can wear it if they choose. Aramis is a first cousin to Azuree.

Primrose's avatar

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Derring-Do is a very refreshing scent, and my second to be sampled from the Ineke line. It is very citrusy and crisp at the top and settles into a fougere floral blend. Longevity is good and this is very much a "safe" scent and very unisex.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Densely sweet floral with a creamy tropical feel to it. Coconut oil? It reminds me somewhat of Versace Blonde's oily tuberose which failed to impress me earlier. While I can appreciate the tropical island paradise theme, I prefer more classic floral orientals. In that respect, for me at least, TIARE is up against some very tough competitors.

*** This review is of the original Tiare ***

TropiRock's avatar

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

This is a somewhat dry, very grassy cologne and so the "Pure Vetiver" name certainly applies. It honestly reminds me of a dry, mowed lawn on a hot summer day. To be honest, I really don't get the connection with Azzaro Chrome, but then all our noses are unique. Pure Vetiver is a good value and smells OK if not outstanding, but decent enough to warrant a positive rating.

TropiRock's avatar

Pure Cédrat by Azzaro

This is a very light citrus fragrance and I detect a slight undertone of that grassy vetiver smell. Sillage is moderate, longevity is good and the price is outstanding. Overall, Pure Cedrat isn't bad, but to me is completely forgettable. Don't expect anything more than that and you won't be disappointed.

knit at nite's avatar

Signature pour Femme by S.T. Dupont

This extremely wearable scent in some ways it reminds me of L'Or Torrente, without the coffee note. It's creamy and warm without being too sweet. On me, it's more of an oriental floral than a straight-up floral. In cold weather the nutmeg and woody notes really pop in Signature, and that's usually when I wear it. Perhaps that's why I don't get any fruit.
    I've seen aldehydes listed in the topnotes on other sites, but it does not have either the soapy or powdery quality generally associated with Aldehydes, Although launched in 2000, the box, with its red flocked paper and gold lettering looks "old fashioned' in a 1950's glamour way, which makes me think they were not marketing to the celebu-scent crowd, but it does not smell dated to my nose. A very reasonable price and good longevity rounds out the appeal for me.

knit at nite's avatar

SJP NYC by Sarah Jessica Parker

Sampled this recently and was very disappointed. It's not just that I would rather eat strawberries than wear them. NYC seems like a fragrance created for a child's pretend make up and perfume set. The world did not need another fruity tooty fragrance but this is probably going to sell well, as it is affordable. The bottle print does correspond with the scent, but I can't figure out how it relates to the great city of New York, which is done no justice at all by this. The bottle could have been inspired by Betsey Johnson's perfume; at least this one doesn't have a plastic filigree topper.
    NO sale for me, but if you're looking for a potent strawberry scent, this may be your ticket.

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

This is the kind of fragrance that just grows on you. I was neutral for it at first, now all I can say I love it.
    This is a darker version of his old brother BLV pour Homme. It is futuristic, it has depth, it stands out and smells awesome.

Marie84's avatar

Remember Me by Christian Dior

A sharp, clean fragrance. Appropriate for the office. Longevity and sillage are both good however it is not an overpowering scent and it blends in. It is definitely not a sensual or sexy perfume. I wear it for work days but does not inspire me for more.

Marie84's avatar

Little Kiss by Salvador Dali

A very wearable happy fragrance. It gives one a good mood and a lift to one's spirits. Nothing out of this world but since it is very wearable, easily liked and does not take much getting used to, it is a good day fragrance which emanates pleasant tones. Both longevity and sillage are good.

Turko's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Barber shop fragrance that is very common on most men's after shave. Refined scent on men over 40 years of age but this might not appeal to today's generation since the smell is quite dated.

Turko's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Smells like Guerlain's vetiver, I was just wondering if it's really Guerlain's vetiver on a Tom Ford bottle?

jcepiano's avatar

Cologne pour le Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Bergamot, Lemon, White Thyme, Lavender and Orange Flower join to create a beautiful composition full of transparency and luminosity. Perfect for the day, with enough complexity for the person that wears it, but subtle enough to avoid offending anyone surrounding the scent. It's a beautiful scent directly in line with Kurkdjian's minimalist approach to composition. Truly refined and polished. 5/5.

The_Cologneist's avatar

H2 by Hummer

Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's a bit of an aquatic with a spicy twist to it. Notes are hard to separate and pull apart due to its syntheticness, but it doesn't smell horrible. As it dries it becomes more floral and soapy and smells completely different from its opening. Then it changes once again into something completely different (and my favorite part of the fragrance) as it becomes a peppery/leather/grassy mix with a little vanilla -- rich, yet very soft and subtle. There is a metallic note or accord in the opening but it's not nearly as bad as Chrome or Jordan (both of which I hate)

Surprisingly a complex fragrance, perhaps the reason people dislike it is because they can't understand it as it takes twists and turns. All of its phases are different from the next and astonishingly remind me of 3 totally different fragrances. I bought this blind and I'm gonna try and return it only because I don't see any use for it in my collection. I can use the 14.99 I spent towards something better I think. All in all though, it's not a bad fragrance.. more something for somebody who just wants one fragrance to make their signature.

Is it worth retail? God no, it's barely worth 14.99 for 2.5 oz like I paid. To me it's worth 5 bucks for 2.5 oz. but that's subjected to my personal feelings towards it and how it fits into my collection. Looking at it in a less selfish way -- I think 15 bucks for 2.5 oz of H2 is a good price.

DavidBond007's avatar

Bois de Santal by Creed

This fragrance has more wood than Original Santal, but the sweetness in this one makes it too perfumey and definitely in my eyes an older woman's scent.

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I love it , its one of my favorite summer cologne , Spicy, Fresh and sweet /spicy to some extent , very well blended tobacco with sweetness . A mature and complete fragrance.

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Good stuff, specialy for summer its nice with fresh citrus , minty opening towards vetiver/cedar with prevailing earthy freshness , its different from other fresh citric scents.
    Basenotes are identical to Terre de hermes IMHO. , i use to wear it in office and get good compliments.

Quinetta's avatar

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (new) by Bourjois

I bought Soir De Paris,I love it. It reminds me of my grandmother back when I was little girl. There is another buy it is in english. Evening in paris.

Quinetta's avatar

Jade East by Regency

My Husband wore Jade East (the first made) when we met. I was 19yrs.old. I fell in love with him and Jade East. I'm in my 60's now.

MatthewPK's avatar

Vanisia by Creed

This does not smell like vanilla, per se, thank goodness. And there's enough of the "barbershop" effect to make this both sultry and sexy for women, and wearable for men. Very nice. A definite thumbs up.

MatthewPK's avatar

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Oooh. This is interesting. VERY interesting. And that's a good thing in my book. So, this is honeysuckle? Well, in that sense it's floral, but I wouldn't say floral in the usual sense. There's enough of a harshness to it to make it masculine to me, i.e., I'd rather wear it than smell it on a woman. I definitely appreciate a fennel/anise/licorice note, and I'm glad to see from other reviews that it's not just my imagination. If you're looking for something different, try this.